• Volunteer Moderator
15 minutes ago, BaconOverlord said:

Let's think for a second.

Why are they doing these things that make people not want to play on official servers?

Could it be.. maybe.. that they have to PAY for said servers and would like to cull the herd a bit and get more people pushed out to unofficials?  That would actually save them money...

Gosh.

And I'm not even a doctor.

What's a doctor got to do with a tinfoil hat conspiracy?

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, BaconOverlord said:

Could it be.. maybe.. that they have to PAY for said servers and would like to cull the herd a bit and get more people pushed out to unofficials?  That would actually save them money...

Don't think so. In this case they could just shut down the official network with an apology about them not being able to pay the servers. Will make downloads of the save files available. Get a poop storm for a short period of time and then everything is fine again and everyone plays on unofficials.

With your theory they slowly piss of more and more players while still paying for servers. So still losing money to servers and losing players. A clean cut would be much less damaging. And i am not even the doctor. ;)

On 6.2.2018 at 1:14 PM, Zederia said:

"Under normal circumstances, such an exploit would deem a global tribe wipe, and a comprehensive ban for all players involved from our Official Network, as well as BattlEye-protected servers. On this occasion, we have decided that we will be providing a one-time amnesty to everyone involved; this means that no one will be banned or wiped, as the impact of the action would have been too widescale and have a significant effect on our Official Servers."

So, because they're mega-tribes they're immune from being banned, or wiped. Well, let's unban all the cheaters that VAC and battle-eye caught before too huh?

you have PROOF people cheated and you're not going to take ANY action? What the hell? They deserve to be punished, PUNISH THEM!

Greate idea! Lets ban 200 people tribe when there was one cheater.

what a bob...

1 hour ago, Zederia said:

great idea, let's let cheaters run rampant!!

a bob that played since EARLY Early access. let's try doing our homework, yes?

i remember that early early access, when a glitch with RPGs allowed for "infinity" ammo and WC resorted to server wipe back then (except characters). Fun times.

When i read this, i can't help but feel sorry for the honest, legit players struggling against these cheating scumbags, and now the developer has officially said they won't even touch said scumbags.. That's a big contrast to how they started off, with the bounties on cheaters.

I can only assume that the players caught and received immunity are high profile streamers or friends with the dev team or somesuch.

I'm so glad i have my own servers.

On 2/19/2018 at 5:30 AM, GP said:

What's a doctor got to do with a tinfoil hat conspiracy?

There is more evidence to backup his theory than what you have to say its invalid, which is why you resorted to insulting him.

Wildcard has shown from the very beginning back in 2015 that they want as few people on official servers as possible, and for them to go to Unofficial. Why else would they allow their own official servers to run so horribly? While most game companies want to show off their product in the best possible way, with low latency servers that are always online, providing the best Ark experience anywhere.... instead their servers are so broken that if you want to retain any sense of sanity, you must go to an unofficial.

20 hours ago, Lihaliemikuutio said:

Greate idea! Lets ban 200 people tribe when there was one cheater.

what a bob...

The only bob is you my friend. My 15 player tribe got wiped by a GM because we stopped a griefer from behe gating both entrances to a cave my ally had a base in without any warning, explanation, even a single word. How can that be justified in one hand, while allowing widespread cheating like these tribes did is considered "too big to fail"?

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, onedudesmind said:

I know if i ever find any exploits there is no reason not to use them.

I think a lot of folks are conveniently overlooking the fact that this was a unique situation, and directly described as a "one time pass".  If you want to play fast and loose with exploits that's your choice, but if you get caught and booted (as happens frequently) at least you'll have plenty of time to contemplate the wisdom of your decision, and the drawbacks of being purposefully obtuse.

Just now, Ranger1 said:

I think a lot of folks are conveniently overlooking the fact that this was a unique situation, and directly described as a "one time pass".  If you want to play fast and loose with exploits that's your choice, but if you get caught and booted (as happens frequently) at least you'll have plenty of time to contemplate the wisdom of your decision, and the drawbacks of being purposefully obtuse.

Just frustrating, this is pretty unprecedented in a multiplayer online game. Not punishing groups or persons they know were wildly exploiting the game. After basically punishing everyone who helped them test the game under the pretext of  "to many cheating", 1000s of hours gone (wiping all tribes...legacy). Now obviously they know who is cheating, or they are insinuating they do, and are not punishing them. At bare minimum wiping their tribes would be appropriate (they basically did it to us all on launch without batting an eye). Not sure what the deal is, maybe one of their higher ups in the decision making process is one of the causes of the problem and doesn't wanna get wiped. I see no reason why they would not enforce the rules, but apparently the small percentage of tribes that would be wiped (their words only a few groups were actually using the exploit, "small percentage") are more important to them then the Majority of us who do not exploit the system.

26 minutes ago, onedudesmind said:

Just frustrating, this is pretty unprecedented in a multiplayer online game. Not punishing groups or persons they know were wildly exploiting the game. After basically punishing everyone who helped them test the game under the pretext of  "to many cheating", 1000s of hours gone (wiping all tribes...legacy). Now obviously they know who is cheating, or they are insinuating they do, and are not punishing them. At bare minimum wiping their tribes would be appropriate (they basically did it to us all on launch without batting an eye). Not sure what the deal is, maybe one of their higher ups in the decision making process is one of the causes of the problem and doesn't wanna get wiped. I see no reason why they would not enforce the rules, but apparently the small percentage of tribes that would be wiped (their words only a few groups were actually using the exploit, "small percentage") are more important to them then the Majority of us who do not exploit the system.

Apologies in advance for not getting drawn into this conversation too deeply, but any game company is well within their rights to handle issues of this nature in whatever fashion they think best serves the game and it's community... and they do so all the time.  The only difference is that this is a unique situation where the actions taken have been made public knowledge.

Speaking from a purely personal point of view I can think of many situations where a person or group caught using an exploit might be given a one time pass, for example in return for a verifiable list of players also using that exploit (after all, the ultimate goal is to reduce the amount of cheating in the game), or in return for details on the exact method (or source of the method) used.  Of course, that person or groups account(s) would go on a list to be closely monitored for suspicious activity from that point on.  After all, if that method is good enough (and effective) for your local law enforcement, it certainly would prove to be the same in a video game.

But again, that's just my personal point of view.

I'll agree that the situation is far from ideal but the fact remains that in the end it's their call, made in what they consider to be the overall best interest of the game.  Likewise, my point was simply that posts insinuating that this action will become the norm (as many others have done in this thread) are at best wildly incorrect.  So I wanted to take a moment to bring people back to earth by stating the obvious... that future actions based on those false assumptions are quite likely to have permanent and unfortunate consequences.

Take my personal observation for whatever you feel it's worth, it's back to the grindstone for me.

26 minutes ago, Ranger1 said:

I'll agree that the situation is far from ideal but the fact remains that in the end it's their call, made in what they consider to be the overall best interest of the game.  Likewise, my point was simply that posts insinuating that this action will become the norm (as many others have done in this thread) are at best wildly incorrect.  So I wanted to take a moment to bring people back to earth by stating the obvious... that future actions based on those false assumptions are quite likely to have permanent and unfortunate consequences.

Take my personal observation for whatever you feel it's worth, it's back to the grindstone for me.

It's like saying "Hi cheaters, you got your major advantage enjoy demolishing everyone else" There's other things they can do, and have done before, supposedly. Cheating in this game is very easy to do because they don't have a clue how to fix the issues. and part of it is certainly the physics and the way the game handles sits and stands. There are plenty of ways to glitch yourself into the map because of this. All objects are either a line or a box, and you can get stuck on literally everything (been stuck on enough scorpions has taught me this). They exploit this problem in a way to force themselves into the map because there's no depth to the models, which adding a second layer underneath the first could quite possibly fix.

I doubt that the issue is that the developers are too stupid to fix things, and the theories of how it should be done posted all over these forums are based on nothing but how players guess the technical details have been coded.  Even the players that might have limited programming experience don't have the specific implementation knowledge about ARK to do more than guess.  Same problem with big statements about the business acumen of Wild Card, it is always easy to make big statements about our opinions, but we are guessing about the actual business details.

One thing that I think worth pointing out is that you get angry opinions when there are dev wipes done, and there are angry opinions when there is not.  WC gets to decide, and they want to do what makes the best business sense for them.  Statements you see in threads like this asserting wild conspiracy theories, assertions that WC is trying to drive players off official servers, and all of the other stuff asserted as facts, these are all based on assumptions and lack of knowledge that WC actually has access to.

The only thing certain is that none of us players posting here have anything to offer but opinion, assumption, and individual subjective experiences.  This stuff is not worth getting agitated over.

On 2/6/2018 at 6:16 AM, ZeroSeconds said:

they can't at this time, banning everyone involved in this matter would wipe 40%+ of their player base 

cough thats a line of bs 40 percent of there player base. They have known about this exploit for 3 years and many people have sent in ticket after ticket. I know 4 people who have sent in tickets regarding this the devs allowed it and don't stop it why do you think so many good players have left. Players still continue to dupe, pretend to be devs etc  .  Ark used to be a great game in beta hardly a issue no fighting people got along none of this stuff going on now.  They give a warning or just let it go need new management and dont say send a ticket because  you get copy and pasted responses how they are investigating screenshots dont lie and they been given plenty. 

1 hour ago, AlphaPrime01 said:

agreed, cheaters prosper. 'legacy' was dubbed 'legacy' cuz it was the servers people 'cheated' on and the 'new' cluster was gonna be 'clean' of all that.... yea right proof positive cheaters cheaters everywhere! why dont wc care? cuz wc already got your $$$

Do you think that misconstruing what happened with Legacy in the past better suits your narrative in the present? Because I don't think it does.

Originally EA progress was going to be wiped at launch, but a bunch of players lashed out like someone was trying to steal their baby from them. With Legacy, the stated intent was to allow new players to have a fresh experience with new progress on new servers, while older players who wished to could continue their progress on the EA servers without support could do so. Legacy weren't called Legacy because they were going to be free of cheaters. They were called Legacy servers because the definition of 'legacy' is literally exactly what Legacy servers are. 

While my perception is that the decision to keep Legacy servers was the biggest and costliest mistake WC has made since day one, it had nothing to do with making servers "clean of cheating." No game will ever be free of cheaters. No rational person was expecting a video game free of cheaters.

Guest DJRone89
6 hours ago, LouSpowells said:

No rational person was expecting a video game free of cheaters.

Remember, you are speaking to the vocal minority of the Ark community.

1 hour ago, Klakky said:

They should at least let legacy players transfer their characters, sure its not alot but at least might get some of them to go to officials instead of quitting

And that would be fair to all the legacy server players that moved away from legacy when they realised 1.Zero CS support. 2.They would be shut down over time anyway?

If thats your view why wont we reflash all the legacy servers already gone, and allow others to move their 100+ chars to new also?

Archived