• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, himynameiseugen said:

What's the point in playing fair? Looks like we are a minority. Let's just start cheating cause everyone is doing it and we won't be banned anyway, right? Because the cheaters are the majority, right?

I will be brutally honest.

If you are playing Official, legit, you are the minority. By far and away the minority. Even some of the top streamers for Ark at the moment, have multiple bans under their belt, some of whom have been banned for things ranging from duping, to aimbot. Those are just the streamers. 

The top alliance that controls roughly 1/3rd of the servers on the Official PvP network, and by far the largest group, is comprised of tribes that have received dozens upon dozens of full server wipes in Ark history. Boasting hundreds, if not thousands of banned accounts to their name. 

The developers have, on occasion, made small attempts at punishing illegal/unintended gameplay, but they have done so completely inadequately. As I stated earlier, they have people who stream, whom they've banned. To this day. To this day. 

While I can't honestly recommend cheating, as it is inherently wrong, if you wish to remain relevant on Official PvP, you need to cheat like everyone else does. Otherwise nothing you do will matter. You might be banned at some point, but those bans are mostly flukes, as Wildcard does not enforce any real ruleset on PvP aside from rules that are so plain that the two people that do Ark support can enforce (Which is basically don't block the spawnpoints on the maps). 

TLDR; You can cheat to compete, but you don't have to cheat to have fun. Just know that the two are mutually exclusive in the current state of affairs. 

45 minutes ago, himynameiseugen said:

What's the point in playing fair? Looks like we are a minority. Let's just start cheating cause everyone is doing it and we won't be banned anyway, right? Because the cheaters are the majority, right?

I guess they could ban everyone who had or used an exploited item because they might have been in on it...but that would mean a TON of people just had a $60 game taken from them for something someone else did. 

If that sounds fair to you, then there's nothing more to say.

1 hour ago, himynameiseugen said:

Yeah. People have no morals these days and it doesn't help that WC has no ethics. I'm not sure how they can  justify it in their warped brains banning anyone in the future now.

53 minutes ago, LouSpowells said:

I guess they could ban everyone who had or used an exploited item because they might have been in on it...but that would mean a TON of people just had a $60 game taken from them for something someone else did. 

If that sounds fair to you, then there's nothing more to say.

The problem is, if they had started dealing/punishing cheaters/exploiters earlier in the game, they wouldn't need to do it now. This is a classic example of what happens when you ignore a problem for literally years. 

3 hours ago, iAmE said:

The problem is, if they had started dealing/punishing cheaters/exploiters earlier in the game, they wouldn't need to do it now. This is a classic example of what happens when you ignore a problem for literally years. 

Exactly this. When you try to bury the truth and bury your head in the sand because you are too raptoring lazy to fix something RIGHT, the first time, this is exactly what you get.  This will go a LONG way in destroying any reputation WC may have had left after the first duping debacle, which led us to brand new servers where absolutely NOTHING changed, exploit wise.

You would think by now, after seeing how so many other game companies were destroyed by being so damn complacent and ignore problems when they showed up, these companies would do things differently. Man, this just points to piss-poor management, 1000%. And now, a lot of people working for a pay check are going to pay the ultimate price for the pride of a couple people.  Well done, WC, well done.

How many friends of yours or characters of yours were in these official mega tribes you are giving amnesty to?? People using an old dev kit version since 2015 that  somehow immediately needed to be fixed 3 years later? Why wasn't this fixed back in 2015?

We have had 1000s of players losing characters left and right ever since the servers reopened for transfers and there has been official statements they can't or won't recover player's characters. That should have been taken care of immediately. Maybe they did try immediately, but me and 5 other friends that I played with legitimately lost dinos and characters to transfers and auto-decay. Including dinos falling under the map. Which for the most part I sucked it up and continued playing despite the bugs and losing things.

Is there some sort of seniority thing going on if I started playing in 2015 instead of 2016 would I have been given help when I lost my character to a strange bug?

I know that I might sound like a crying child by saying this, but why do these cheaters get a free pass and the rest of us who paid actual dollars, took our time and earned game achievements not get the same treatment?

5 hours ago, iAmE said:

While I can't honestly recommend cheating, as it is inherently wrong, if you wish to remain relevant on Official PvP, you need to cheat like everyone else does. Otherwise nothing you do will matter. You might be banned at some point, but those bans are mostly flukes, as Wildcard does not enforce any real ruleset on PvP aside from rules that are so plain that the two people that do Ark support can enforce (Which is basically don't block the spawnpoints on the maps). 

This is why the majority of the player base plays unofficial and rents private servers. They don't tolerate this kinda stuff like wildcard does.

4 hours ago, Z0mbie said:

Yeah. People have no morals these days and it doesn't help that WC has no ethics. I'm not sure how they can  justify it in their warped brains banning anyone in the future now.

i dont know why anyone plays this game anymore. All they are doing is associating with the poor business ethics and supporting it by playing. official or not.

On 2/6/2018 at 12:58 PM, CovertLizard said:

No one is 100% certain what the exploit was. WC felt it was gamebreaking enough to push a major 8 GB patch immediately and unscheduled though. 

Apparently is was an old version of the game that included a dev kit. This allowed admin commands to be used. According to WC they needed to fix it immediately and said sorry for the patch guys. Having said that it sounds like they didn't know about this exploit for what, 3 years? Smells fishy to me tbh.

17 minutes ago, ArkCreation said:

i dont know why anyone plays this game anymore. All they are doing is associating with the poor business ethics and supporting it by playing. official or not.

It's still the best open world sandbox by a wide margin. Rust tries, but Rust is trying to balance the MMO aspect of open world sandbox with FPS, becoming an odd middle ground between Battle Royales and MMOs. Ark is on the other side of the spectrum, being more open world MMO then shooter or survival.

Frankly put, there's a good chance that the only reason Ark enjoys its continued success(?) is due to a distinct lack of any meaningful competition from either side of their genre. Can't blame people for playing the only option, even if the option is objectively being mishandled. 

5 minutes ago, ArkCreation said:

Apparently is was an old version of the game that included a dev kit. This allowed admin commands to be used. According to WC they needed to fix it immediately and said sorry for the patch guys. Having said that it sounds like they didn't know about this exploit for what, 3 years? Smells fishy to me tbh.

The sheer amount of stuff that Wildcard is unaware of, but should be, would surprise you. The problem is that Wildcard, demonstrably, has no management. The breakdown in communication between community/tester feedback and the development cycle is stark. Some of these exploits were reported, literally, months ago. Including some that remain, to this day, unfixed. We're talking about exploits ranging from odd ball mesh-holes on the Island/Center/Rag/SE/Aberration, to full blown duping in both case specific matters (IE Duping specifically element) and full inventory dupes. 

Further, to compound the issue, is that many of these reports are included with them, reports of people abusing them. The Bee Dupe was one of the most blatantly obvious ones. When I raid bases and find, literally, a thousand bee hives in a stone hut in Red Woods, I know they're duped. 

There is a serious problem in the communication of Wildcard because some of the devs, particularly when I hear them informed of some of the stuff, are legit surprised that it exists, and the issue is fixed almost immediately. They honestly have no clue about some of the stuff that has been reported ad naseum. This indicates serious flaws and/or breakdowns in the middle management of the company. Compound this with half a dozen other factors and honestly, I don't think the devs are "Fishy". They give off all the signs of a start up indie company being ran by game developers with absolutely no experience or idea how business works, or how to make organizations work as a cohesive whole. 

5 minutes ago, TripleBox said:

i just heard TEA who got GM wiped for blatant aimbotting all got unbanned and their server rolled back to before the dev wipe because they have ties with snail games. What the actual raptor is going on.

If you want an actual explanation, I can provide it, but I am not -exactly- confident on, to be blunt, not getting banned for putting it out on the forum here. PM me if you want to know that story fourth hand. 

• Volunteer Moderator
5 minutes ago, TripleBox said:

i just heard TEA who got GM wiped for blatant aimbotting all got unbanned and their server rolled back to before the dev wipe because they have ties with snail games. What the actual raptor is going on.

I heard 9-11 was done by the Feds and the moon landing was faked. 

It was on the Internet. It must be true. 

4 minutes ago, iAmE said:

It's still the best open world sandbox by a wide margin. Rust tries, but Rust is trying to balance the MMO aspect of open world sandbox with FPS, becoming an odd middle ground between Battle Royales and MMOs. Ark is on the other side of the spectrum, being more open world MMO then shooter or survival.

Frankly put, there's a good chance that the only reason Ark enjoys its continued success(?) is due to a distinct lack of any meaningful competition from either side of their genre. Can't blame people for playing the only option, even if the option is objectively being mishandled. 

The sheer amount of stuff that Wildcard is unaware of, but should be, would surprise you. The problem is that Wildcard, demonstrably, has no management. The breakdown in communication between community/tester feedback and the development cycle is stark. Some of these exploits were reported, literally, months ago. Including some that remain, to this day, unfixed. We're talking about exploits ranging from odd ball mesh-holes on the Island/Center/Rag/SE/Aberration, to full blown duping in both case specific matters (IE Duping specifically element) and full inventory dupes. 

Further, to compound the issue, is that many of these reports are included with them, reports of people abusing them. The Bee Dupe was one of the most blatantly obvious ones. When I raid bases and find, literally, a thousand bee hives in a stone hut in Red Woods, I know they're duped. 

There is a serious problem in the communication of Wildcard because some of the devs, particularly when I hear them informed of some of the stuff, are legit surprised that it exists, and the issue is fixed almost immediately. They honestly have no clue about some of the stuff that has been reported ad naseum. This indicates serious flaws and/or breakdowns in the middle management of the company. Compound this with half a dozen other factors and honestly, I don't think the devs are "Fishy". They give off all the signs of a start up indie company being ran by game developers with absolutely no experience or idea how business works, or how to make organizations work as a cohesive whole. 

Thanks for posting. I love your points on this. Helps to have some more perspective on this. Yeah I agree with on the communication breakdown. I've held on since knowing its one of the few indie games that made it out of the testing phase on steam that I enjoy. And there were gonna be issues even after official release. Sigh,, right now I play on a private server with friends and avoid most of this now. It is going to be awhile before they figure out how to get their feet on the ground.

1 minute ago, iAmE said:

He's actually not far off on his explanation of the situation. That's one of the most problematic issues here. 

I'm going to really toe the line here (You can read the full story on Reddit, it's on the front page, likely still the top thread),

The patched vulnerability gave certain users access to admin features, including a rudimentary aimbot and ESP. The TEA Amnesty was provided in the course of finding the specifics of this vulnerability, and patching it. What he said was true, every word, and yes, they were rollbacked and unbanned (Supposedly). 

If that explanation is offensive or against any Mod/Admin's view of what can/should be said, please delete it, but at the very least, don't mock people for bringing up actual things that happened. 

I hope its okay to say. Well hopefully WC will figure it out. Its a good game regardless.

• Volunteer Moderator
2 minutes ago, iAmE said:

He's actually not far off on his explanation of the situation. That's one of the most problematic issues here. 

I'm going to really toe the line here (You can read the full story on Reddit, it's on the front page, likely still the top thread),

The patched vulnerability gave certain users access to admin features, including a rudimentary aimbot and ESP. The TEA Amnesty was provided in the course of finding the specifics of this vulnerability, and patching it. What he said was true, every word, and yes, they were rollbacked and unbanned (Supposedly). 

If that explanation is offensive or against any Mod/Admin's view of what can/should be said, please delete it, but at the very least, don't mock people for bringing up actual things that happened. 

Yes. I’ve read all of that. Where is the part about the rollback being because they have ties to Snail games?

2 minutes ago, Joebl0w13 said:

Yes. I’ve read all of that. Where is the part about the rollback being because they have ties to Snail games?

Does nothing bother you about the developers' basically pardoning hundreds, if not thousands of cheaters? At this point, nothing Wildcard says, or does in regards to this matter, has any credibility. I think his "Theory" is a bit far fetched, but for people out of the loop on the specifics of how/why Wildcard acts, that is honestly not a very hard conclusion to reach. You shouldn't mock people for their lack of information in a subject that has purposefully been obscured as much as possible. imo.

• Volunteer Moderator
3 minutes ago, iAmE said:

Does nothing bother you about the developers' basically pardoning hundreds, if not thousands of cheaters? At this point, nothing Wildcard says, or does in regards to this matter, has any credibility. I think his "Theory" is a bit far fetched, but for people out of the loop on the specifics of how/why Wildcard acts, that is honestly not a very hard conclusion to reach. You shouldn't mock people for their lack of information in a subject that has purposefully been obscured as much as possible. imo.

That doesn’t answer my question. 

Just now, Joebl0w13 said:

It actually does, whether you want to admit it or not. For people outside the loop of how Wildcard acts and why, what they did made absolutely no sense. Combine that with Wildcard's complete lack of credibility and the theory he came up with is not out of the question. At all. 

For people like me, who knows the situation via people in it, it's different. For people like you, who have personal connections with Wildcard and experience watching how they work, it's different. For the lay-common person, it can, and does, appear like that is an actual possibility. 

• Volunteer Moderator
2 minutes ago, iAmE said:

3 minutes ago, Joebl0w13 said:

It actually does, whether you want to admit it or not

No. No it doesn’t. I asked a specific question. Nobody has a single thing to back up exactly what I asked about other than “I heard some stuff on the internet”. I’m talking only very specifically about the single question I asked. Nothing else. 

5 minutes ago, Joebl0w13 said:

No. No it doesn’t. I asked a specific question. Nobody has a single thing to back up exactly what I asked about other than “I heard some stuff on the internet”. I’m talking only very specifically about the single question I asked. Nothing else. 

Like I said earlier. I answered it, you just don't accept it because it makes your narrative about the people being "Crazy" and "Super-hyperbolic" out of the water, to put it bluntly.

In reality, the difference between what you said, and what he said, is that what he said makes sense. What you said makes no sense. Which comes back to the key point of your subjective reality and whether you can take a step out of your own shoes to see what everyone else see's, as people without direct and personal access to Wildcard and/or years of experience with the subject. 

Either way, I think I've sufficiently refuted your point, and further discussion will simply devolve into you vs me in a debate with no common ground or sense of shared reality. So, enjoy your night

Archived