• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, LouSpowells said:

Because a couple "but that's not fair" threads are nothing compared to every video game media outlet in the world running the headline, "Wildcard bans majority of player base over exploit left in game for two years."

I think most of us can accept that this is the reason why it was done. Honesty I think giving cheaters breathing room and allowing this to fester will be worse in the log run for the player base. Even IF it was a majority of players, which I doubt, many of them would come back. And then at least new players would find an environment where cheating was not tolerated. 

And I think even moreso many of us were hoping that greed would not be the ONLY guidepost to WC decisions. :( 

• Volunteer Moderator
6 minutes ago, CovertLizard said:

I think most of us can accept that this is the reason why it was done. Honesty I think giving cheaters breathing room and allowing this to fester will be worse in the log run for the player base. Even IF it was a majority of players, which I doubt, many of them would come back. And then at least new players would find an environment where cheating was not tolerated. 

And I think even moreso many of us were hoping that greed would not be the ONLY guidepost to WC decisions. :( 

This just in, multinational corporations make strategic decisions based on their bottom line. 

More news at 11.

Guest DJRone89
3 minutes ago, LouSpowells said:

We'll probably know when people start making "I can't _________ anymore, WC broke the game!" posts. lol

Let the cheaters expose themselves.

On that note, I’ll go back to hosting my unofficial servers where cheaters don’t run rampant.

3 minutes ago, Joebl0w13 said:

This just in, companies make strategic decisions based on their bottom line. 

More news at 11.

Yes of course. However in this situation:

It is NOT obvious that the decision they have made is better for their bottom line. As I said I think it may be worse long term to foster a cheating environment and to accept a culture where cheating is unpunished...

Cheaters have already spent their money...

Companies can and do take other aspects into decision making. Money talks, but so does community goodwill and reputation...

Decisions made in reaction to short term feedback often fail in the long run. 

• Volunteer Moderator
4 hours ago, isu said:

Interesting post on reddit:

Palladinsoldier [score hidden] 22 minutes ago* 

The ark devs is lying to everyone during this matter majority of ark didnt use this exploit at all but among few of the tribes that had acces to it some of the biggest tribes is listed. The exploit is about testers among others having acces to ADMIN commands on official servers. Which basically has made it possible for TRIBES to spawn in items, god mode, ghost mode, open vaults without knowing the pincode among others. Its basically Legacy 2.0.

Tester here, can confirm this is bunk. We do not have access to admin commands on official servers at all. Whatever the exploit was, it wasn't that.

21 minutes ago, Zederia said:

it was in October, not August (I was only SLIGHTLY wrong)

Horseshoes and hand grenades dude...but whatever makes you feel better. lol

20 minutes ago, DJRone89 said:

Let the cheaters expose themselves.

On that note, I’ll go back to hosting my unofficial servers where cheaters don’t run rampant.

They're exposing themselves even further with some of the "Wait, did WC fix the _______ exploit?" tweets and posts on the different forums.

16 minutes ago, powerstuck said:

They should allow mods and spawn commands for all official servers then. Because that's what people like. 

If they left in spawn commands for 2+ years and then one day stopped and banned everyone who used or benefited from them, you'd be here criticizing Wildcard for banning people over something they left in the game for two years. It's like this constant cycle of perpetual outrage from some folks. O.o

15 minutes ago, CovertLizard said:

Money talks, but so does community goodwill and reputation...

I'd assume this is precisely why WC chose not to ban people over an exploit that was left in the game for years. Banning players en-masse for something they and others have been benefiting from for years, exploit or not, doesn't foster a lot of community goodwill, and demolishes what's left of a reputation. 

Ultimately, the people Wildcard are angering the most right now are the people who are angered the most any time Wildcard does anything or nothing. There are some people who can't seem to get through life without being exasperated or furious at something. 

1 minute ago, LouSpowells said:

No. You were 100% wrong. Quetzals were in the game in 2015.

They're exposing themselves even further with some of the "Wait, did WC fix the _______ exploit?" tweets and posts on the different forums, lol.

If they left in spawn commands for 2+ years and then one day stopped and banned everyone who used or benefited from them, you'd be here criticizing Wildcard for banning people over something they left in the game for two years. It's like this constant cycle of perpetual outrage from some folks. lol

I'd assume this is precisely why WC chose not to ban people over an exploit they left in the game for years. Banning players en-masse for something they and others have been benefiting from for years, exploit or not, doesn't foster a lot of community goodwill, and demolishes what's left of a reputation. 

Ultimately, the people Wildcard are angering the most right now are the people who are angered the most any time Wildcard does anything or nothing. There are some people who can't seem to get through life without being exasperated.

Generalizing about those who disagree with you is a dishonest argument at best. 

That aside, I am personally angry because I have never used an exploit (knowingly, as they won’t say what this one is lol). It’s a shame that they would allow cheating to go unpunished when they even say themselves that cheating will not be tolerated. 

As for making people angry because the left it in the game for so long, no ine is denying that they messed up. But the proper way to fix a mistake is to own up to it, repair it, make sure it doesn’t happen again. What WC is doing is just perpetuating the mistake and the longer they take to address it, the worse the issue will become. If megatribes are already too big to be banned, what happens the next time a major exploit is revealed?

I just want to know what the actual exploit was. Obviously, the most used exploits are duping and body bags. I'm unsure it would be plausible to assume that WildCard could find a way to track what tribes are using bodybags (although 95% of larger tribes do use them). Even if they could, I don't see that being such a large issue as to bring this much attention to it. Duping, however, would definitely be an issue that has a large enough impact on the community and the game to draw attention to the issue. But what of the tribes who have already been dev wiped for duping? Seems a bit unfair to have left them left out to dry while granting the other tribes a pass..either way, I think more details need to be released so that we know what we've been doing wrong.

• Volunteer Moderator
2 minutes ago, ColdRansom said:

But what of the tribes who have already been dev wiped for duping? Seems a bit unfair to have left them left out to dry while granting the other tribes a pass.

The logical conclusion to that question would be that the new (old) exploit wasn't duping.

So because mega-tribes were exploiting and you'd have to hand out more than 2-3 bans, you are doing nothing?  Bad form, @Jatheish.  Bad form.  Ban the damn cheaters.  What's fair for everyone who has ever cheated and gotten busted is fair for them.  Do you think the game is better off for the current playerbase, letting the cheaters stay in game?  Because it isn't.  You are letting the duper-tribes keep all their resources and dinos that have been duped.  And duping being a big part of the META for PvP, most of the dupers were probably PvPers who will remain alphas on their server, untouchable and on top with all of their duped stuff.

Bad form Jat...  Really bad form.

Hello all,

Amazing how much blood you guys want, I mean angry players that did not like the free pass for the cheaters.

I was in doubt about the whole thing of cheating since all the patches/updates just add more lag. But now I realize that you all (players) really do not care about more lag as long as the Official servers are cheat free.

Competitive game play. Ok, so what rules are in WAR again?

Should player be banned? And what about when YOU are banned? All saying cheater to YOU.

Hopeful that all can see the other side of this. All players are valuable to ARK even hackers (or other people that see things others do not).

Regards,

Ariana

4 minutes ago, ArianaGaming said:

Hello all,

Amazing how much blood you guys want, I mean angry players that did not like the free pass for the cheaters.

I was in doubt about the whole thing of cheating since all the patches/updates just add more lag. But now I realize that you all (players) really do not care about more lag as long as the Official servers are cheat free.

Should player be banned? And what about when YOU are banned? All saying cheater to YOU.

Hopeful that all can see the other side of this. All players are valuable to ARK even hackers (or other people that see things others do not).

Regards,

Ariana

What are you saying? Hackers have no value to the game, they remove value by making what people got legitimately have less value. Cheating is cheating and has no place in a well developed game. 

1 minute ago, ArianaGaming said:

Yes.  There should not be cheating on official servers.  That is a duh-derp-no-brainer statement.  This is not "war," if you win you don't get anything that helps you in real life other than enjoyment.  People do not fight "fair" in real-life war, but it is dumb as hammers to draw parallels between real life and a game where we tame and breed dinosaurs.  If one needs to cheat to find enjoyment because of boredom or maybe just lack of skill, how do you imagine this is "ok" and that they are a valuable part of any playerbase?

The only ones that believe cheaters are valuable to the playerbase are other cheaters.  There is nothing to "see that others do not" in the game, just play honestly.  Jesus, I though the last thing I'd see was someone defending the cheaters, but in true ARK-style, here they are.

33 minutes ago, CovertLizard said:

Generalizing about those who disagree with you is a dishonest argument at best. 

Not to be pedantic, but I'm referring to actual people posting in this thread that I recognize as people who feign outrage whenever possible, whether it's consistent with their previous outbursts or not...not generalizing a group of people I don't know.

33 minutes ago, CovertLizard said:

That aside, I am personally angry because I have never used an exploit (knowingly, as they won’t say what this one is lol). It’s a shame that they would allow cheating to go unpunished when they even say themselves that cheating will not be tolerated. 

As for making people angry because the left it in the game for so long, no ine is denying that they messed up. But the proper way to fix a mistake is to own up to it, repair it, make sure it doesn’t happen again. What WC is doing is just perpetuating the mistake and the longer they take to address it, the worse the issue will become. If megatribes are already too big to be banned, what happens the next time a major exploit is revealed?

I've highlighted what I feel to be the most important part of your post...the word "knowingly." It was stated that a not-insignificant chunk of those who benefited from the exploit may not have done so knowingly. If Wildcard stuck to the letter of the law, people such as yourself who may have never "knowingly" benefited from the exploit would be banned.

Personally? I don't care. I've got no dog in this fight since I gave up on official...but it's not like Wildcard can go door-to-door asking, "Ok, so did you purposely benefit from the exploit? Tell us the truth so we can ban you if you did."

21 minutes ago, TheDonn said:

So because mega-tribes were exploiting and you'd have to hand out more than 2-3 bans, you are doing nothing?  Bad form, @Jatheish.  Bad form.  Ban the damn cheaters.  What's fair for everyone who has ever cheated and gotten busted is fair for them.  Do you think the game is better off for the current playerbase, letting the cheaters stay in game?  Because it isn't.  You are letting the duper-tribes keep all their resources and dinos that have been duped.  And duping being a big part of the META for PvP, most of the dupers were probably PvPers who will remain alphas on their server, untouchable and on top with all of their duped stuff.

Bad form Jat...  Really bad form.

Would you be making the same "bad form" argument if you were perma-banned because at some point in the past 2+ years you were in a tribe with someone who had used an exploit without you knowing it?

6 minutes ago, ArianaGaming said:

Hello again,

Just to make myself clear I want cheat free Official servers. This is why I reported the worst cases I know about. I also want to play with all kinds of players even the unwanted.

Regards,

Ariana

That is not what your original post said.  I mean, kudos on the attempt to backstep, but in your other post, you explained that cheaters are valuable.  They aren't.  And if someone calls someone a cheater and that person is actually a cheater, not just a BETTER player who someone else is is trying to say cheated and thet's why they got wiped by them, then yeah.  They deserve to be wiped, even if it is ME or YOU.  Cheating is cheating.  But if you cheat for long enough in ARK with a big enough tribe, it's ok.

1 hour ago, LouSpowells said:

Because a couple "but that's not fair" threads are nothing compared to every video game media outlet in the world running the headline, "Wildcard bans majority of player base over exploit left in game for two years."

Hmm thats true i guess. But not doing anything at all is just wrong they could wipe there base take away there stuff. There not going to learn a lesson if they don't do something.

Am not mad or upset over this just can't understand why they will not do anything to the players that were and are still cheating. Just seem WC doesnt care and some players

7 minutes ago, LouSpowells said:

Not to be pedantic, but I'm referring to actual people posting in this thread that I recognize as people who feign outrage whenever possible, whether it's consistent with their previous outbursts or not...not generalizing a group of people I don't know.

I've highlighted what I feel to be the most important part of your post...the word "knowingly." It was stated that a not-insignificant chunk of those who benefited from the exploit may not have done so knowingly. If Wildcard stuck to the letter of the law, people such as yourself who may have never "knowingly" benefited from the exploit would be banned.

Personally? I don't care. I've got no dog in this fight since I gave up on official...but it's not like Wildcard can go door-to-door asking, "Ok, so did you purposely benefit from the exploit? Tell us the truth so we can ban you if you did."

Would you be making the same "bad form" argument if you were perma-banned because at some point in the past 2+ years you were in a tribe with someone who had used an exploit without you knowing it?

Okay, my apologies for accusing you of generalizing in that case. 

Also, I agree completey that there are difficulties on inadvertent exploits. However, I find it difficult to believe that an exploit that came so suddenly to light and required an 8Gb patch could be done accidentally. Yes, perhaps people could unknowingly benefit from other people knowingly using it, but to me it’s a nonissue. If people did actual cheating they should be banned. 

It’s absurd the way WC went about this. They went out of their way to tell us that there is a major game breaking exploit and it’s been around since 2015. They say that those who have used it should be banned. And that they won’t ban anyone. Why are they even telling us? More information should be released. 

• Joebl0w13 changed the title to cheaters prosper!

Archived