277 Disk Space needed

JonasHR

The steam downloading folder is large due tot he way it handles updates. Why are your updates on your SSD/M.2/whatever? When you install a Steam game you can choose where to install it. There's no need for symlinks (Linux) or junctions (Windows). Just install your games to your fast disk and let Steam (and the updates) live on your OS disk. Easy as pie. Also, the 8.2GB update took about 108GB when extracted.

*UPDATE*

Let me give a real-world example. You have a 500GB mechanical disk with Windows on it and a 256GB M.2 or SSD you want to game on. Two quick ways to handle this.

Method 1: Windows Junction

Install Steam onto your 500GB mechanical disk in a location accessible by all users. I prefer to make a "Games" folder on the root of my C: drive and grant "Users", "Administrators", and "SYSTEM" full access. This is where I install Steam and by doing it this way you do not need admin to run Steam or its games.

Once Steam is installed, go into "Disk Management" and mount the SSD/M.2 in "C:\Games\steamapps\common". This is where Steam games are installed by default, but NOT where updates are installed. This means you literally have ONLY games on your fast disk.

Method 2: Tell Steam to install elsewhere

When you go to your library and choose to install a game it asks where you want to put it. Assume the mechanical 500GB disk is C: and the fast one is D:. Just install to "D:\Game Name" instead of the default location. Updates still go into the Steam folder and the game is still the only thing on your SSD/M.2, eliminating this issue.

This is a Steam/user issue, not a Wildcard issue. It is how Steam delivers updates.

3 minutes ago, Xenithar said:

The steam downloading folder is large due tot he way it handles updates. Why are your updates on your SSD/M.2/whatever? When you install a Steam game you can choose where to install it. There's no need for symlinks (Linux) or junctions (Windows). Just install your games to your fast disk and let Steam (and the updates) live on your OS disk. Easy as pie. Also, the 8.2GB update took about 108GB when extracted.

Fast disk?

OS disk?

What are these? Typically your OS goes on the SSD. So what is this mythical fast disk?

Actually you do not put the OS on your SSD. Since the theoretical perception is that SSD is faster, you put what you want to be fast on it, such as Ark. There's little to no speed increase in running the OS on an SSD. M.2 shows very little increase over SSD for the OS as well. However, for gaming M.2 is insanely fast. SSD with SATA3 (6Gbps) is crawling compared to an M.2 at up to 32Gbps. This of course depends on the M.2 disk and your PCI-E setup.

i gotta soon stop and uninstall this game, i cannot afford a bigger ssd for ark, am sorry devs but please tell me if u guys ever gonna make the patches smaller becus 7 gig here and there and then 15gb for the dlc and all the small patches etc. 

like is there any way you guys can comprimize the folder for us somehow or u guys gonna lose players.

If people spent as much time learning about how the Steam download/update system works as they spent complaining about it, there would be a lot less threads like this in a LOT of different video game forums.

6 hours ago, Sphere said:

Fast disk?

OS disk?

What are these? Typically your OS goes on the SSD. So what is this mythical fast disk?

The fast disk is the fast one. I've got 3 SSDs. Two of them are faster. They are the fast disks. My OS and games are on one of the fast disks, the update files for those games are on my slow disk.

Archived