Which map/DLC for single player offline?

Felio

I gather from the description that Primitive+ is designed to punish you for playing alone by having the engrams you need far outstrip the points you have.

I know The Island has a story, but the ending is rough solo. Is the story any good? Is the only soloable part the survivor notes? Is it worth doing the rest with a difficulty mod?

What about Aberration, Ragnarok, Scorched Earth, and The Center?

Island would be the best choice probably, its the most rounded starter map and has all the caves and bosses.  Ragnarock is by far the easiest of the maps though but it lacks the story elements and only has one boss fight instead of 4 at the island.  SE and AB are harder maps not really suited to starting out from scratch.  Hope this helps.

3 minutes ago, Dreadnaught said:

Island would be the best choice probably, its the most rounded starter map and has all the caves and bosses.  Ragnarock is by far the easiest of the maps though but it lacks the story elements and only has one boss fight instead of 4 at the island.  SE and AB are harder maps not really suited to starting out from scratch.  Hope this helps.

Yep. Though, The Island is still a little hard solo, even if it is the best starter map. I would definitely not do a difficulty mod on any map singleplayer unless you are very experienced or already started on the server.

I’ve played all the maps single player, modded on PC and on console, and I think it comes to a question of taste about what offers the best experience.

For me personally, I’ve had the most fun on Scorched Earth and Ragnarok, but I’m having a great time on Aberration right now too.

In terms of progression I think Scorched Earth is my favorite, but that’s due very largely in part to the fact I really don’t like the ocean in Ark...it makes me pretty uncomfortable, and obviously Scorched Earth lets me progress comfortably with access to the things I normally have to dive to get.

I love Ragnarok as the most beautiful map, in my mind. Every time I play I find new, awesome things. I played Ragnarok with Annunaki Genesis and it was pretty punishing, but very fun.

Now, my disclaimer is that I’ve never fought a boss, so I can’t speak to that...but those two are my choices.

2 minutes ago, LadyCrescent said:

I’ve played all the maps single player, modded on PC and on console, and I think it comes to a question of taste about what offers the best experience.

For me personally, I’ve had the most fun on Scorched Earth and Ragnarok, but I’m having a great time on Aberration right now too.

In terms of progression I think Scorched Earth is my favorite, but that’s due very largely in part to the fact I really don’t like the ocean in Ark...it makes me pretty uncomfortable, and obviously Scorched Earth lets me progress comfortably with access to the things I normally have to dive to get.

I love Ragnarok as the most beautiful map, in my mind. Every time I play I find new, awesome things. I played Ragnarok with Annunaki Genesis and it was pretty punishing, but very fun.

Now, my disclaimer is that I’ve never fought a boss, so I can’t speak to that...but those two are my choices.

I would definitely say Ragnarok over scorched. I do like the aspect of no ocean in scorched also, though!

Ive played all but like The Island and Aberration the best. I only really play solo and find The centre to probably be the easiest start. Ragnarok is also quite easy but the temperature issues ruin it a bit as you constantly either freeze or roast depending on where you are. I tried Scorched Earth but tbh Im not really a fan of this map. All roads lead to The Island imo :-)

I only play single player primitive plus. I've never run out of engram points,  but then again, I never got further than level 85 or so either. By that time, I always have new ideas for building and then I start all over B| So I know nothing of the endgame. But I always iked playing primitive plus. It does have a bunch of other flaws that have not been fixed. Opening the explorer notes for example crashes the game.

As for the maps: I personally don't like scorched earth. I liked the challenge, but not the look of the map. Too dry and lack of green for my taste. The center always becomes boring quickly for me, not sure why actually. Ragnarok is the most beautiful map in my opinion. Currently I just restarted on the Island, because I've played Ragnarok so much that I know the map too well. I'll probably turn back to it someday. Oh, and I never played aberration. I'm not a fan of the fantasy theme. It all comes down to your personal taste.

4 hours ago, Martinigirl said:

I only play single player primitive plus. I've never run out of engram points,  but then again, I never got further than level 85 or so either. By that time, I always have new ideas for building and then I start all over B| So I know nothing of the endgame. But I always iked playing primitive plus. It does have a bunch of other flaws that have not been fixed. Opening the explorer notes for example crashes the game.

As for the maps: I personally don't like scorched earth. I liked the challenge, but not the look of the map. Too dry and lack of green for my taste. The center always becomes boring quickly for me, not sure why actually. Ragnarok is the most beautiful map in my opinion. Currently I just restarted on the Island, because I've played Ragnarok so much that I know the map too well. I'll probably turn back to it someday. Oh, and I never played aberration. I'm not a fan of the fantasy theme. It all comes down to your personal taste.

Everything you said is the exact same for me.

I have come to the conclusion that if the DLC is free or is an already existing map, it'll be really good. On the other hand, if the DLC is paid, it won't be as good. They won't be boring, but just not as good.

For me personally I agree with the notion that Scorched Earth and Aberration are harder maps. The Island is the most rounded map with a little of everything, but that was before Ragnarok, which seems to have everything on a single map.

I still prefer The Island over Ragnarok, but I admit this is more of a habit than a fact. Besides, there are 2 animals which are exclusive to Ragnarok.

Cheers!

16 hours ago, DrChicken24 said:

Yep. Though, The Island is still a little hard solo, even if it is the best starter map. I would definitely not do a difficulty mod on any map singleplayer unless you are very experienced or already started on the server.

I meant a difficulty mod to make the story bosses more solo-friendly, if such a mod exists. is The Island the only one with a story? How much of it can you do alone? I'm pretty inexperienced. Never tamed a dino and only gotten to stone structures before.

3 hours ago, Felio said:

I meant a difficulty mod to make the story bosses more solo-friendly, if such a mod exists. is The Island the only one with a story? How much of it can you do alone? I'm pretty inexperienced. Never tamed a dino and only gotten to stone structures before.

Ah, ok. I am not sure if there is a mod, I will research it. The Island is not the only one with a story, as explorer notes also tell stores on DLCs. Aberration has a good ending, but I'm not sure about Ragnarok. You can do all of it alone, but it will be significantly harder. You can always change the multipliers of gathering and maturing rates, etc. It's ok, everyone was a beginner before!! :) 

7 hours ago, Felio said:

You don't need a mod. You can change the difficulty level in the game settings when you are setting up the map you want to use. You can also change the file to override the difficulty as well. https://ark.gamepedia.com/Difficulty

• 11 months later...

I love the building on prim plus, i find ragnorok pritty good for it but the centre has the real feel that the others don't, if you play like me as if you are there and not to just defeat the bosses the centre if perfect exsploring the rivers, fishing, good hunting, caves and the weather sounds and feels like you could be there even the water looks better. also when exploring the different islands you have battles with whales lol. It seems to me the land has been thought of for building on. with alot of old buildings you can integrate into your build.  

I’d say the Island. It has a story, 4 boss fights, and ascension. Ragnarok and the Center are great, but neither of them have any story or ascension, and only one boss fight each. Scorched Earth, Aberration, and Extinction are fun maps, but pretty hard to start out on. I haven’t beaten the final boss on the Island yet so I can’t really say whether it can be done solo or not, I’d imagine you could with enough preparation. 

Primitive+ is great if you like building, and you can always use mindwipe tonic to reset you engram points if you run out, but if you wanna kill all the bosses and ascend it’s gonna be pretty dang hard. 

• 10 months later...

I have played a lot on ragnarok lately but I found that when you either have a wyvern or a griffin the game gets kinda borring because its just to easy. So I recently bought abberation and I like the extra challange. I would not consider myself a very experienced player but imo the other maps are a little to easy. Hope this helps you out

Archived