local chat Local Chat Character Limit

AgentSkullFire

its so people cant spam global chat. you would be suprised how many salty players spam global after being kicked with constant 1 letter repetitive spam  etc (official pvp servers) but you get the picture. and shouldnt RP be via voice chat as its easier(RP/Pve not my thing never played just assumption)? i couldn't imagine playing ark and stopping to type every second especially paragraphs of dialogue xD

Of course, I get the picture I do. A lot of people RP via voice chat but let's put this into perspective shall we. What about the people who can't either afford a mic, or find it easier to type just in general. I think if they did this they should have added something in the server files for server owners who run rp servers to change. So the players who utilize chat can still do what they need to continue to do so they can still have an enjoyable time. 

Well I do understand that 99% of games have a character limit, but we are looking at a game that had no limit since release. Now a limit is placed and its not present in the patch notes so you are one not informing your community, and two not even giving them a warning so they are aware. Also most games with a limit have a counter so you are well aware how many characters you can type before you are restricted. At this rate, it seems that they just are not giving us information and implanting something like the nerf and not giving us a chance to even see what the hell is gonna happen. 

Couple thoughts, but maybe I'm not fully understanding the problem, what is the character limit anyway?

First, I feel like it's possible to mighty annoying even in local chat. Few months ago had some one copy pasting fury erotic e-novels into local to torment captives - yes I'm aware that would have broken other rules on official.

Second and bigger reason they may have done this. If someone were to drop rapid fire messages at thousands of characters a piece could it still impact server performance even if that's all just local? I don't know enough about software to know for sure, but that seems like it would make sense - I'm also talking about abusive/ridiculous behavior, not the sort of thing OP is talking about, but most changes like this are really about controlling that kind of stuff. Not like WC set out to make RP harder, just nuance is rarely their strong suit.

Archived