The Rex

RexManRex

How does everyone feel about the new Rex TLC? I for one am not happy with it  as many of the other dinos looks to be massively improved feature wise (except maybe the dire bear) this leaves the Rex in a position where it's only redeeming feature is good HP, the pooping feature is gimmicky. 

Rex needs:

-a DMG buff (62 is less than one of the dire bears attacks)

-a unique ability, maybe a bite that slows enemies down (it did have a bone crushing bite) or a headbutt which deals torpor, or the same ability as the Megalosaurus to grab flyers from the air.

-Revert the roar back to how it used to be before it was tampered with,they broke something that didn't need fixing, or if not at least add some bass to the roar.

-The new model looks cool but it looks a bit too much like an allosaur, rexes had very broad skulls and enormous jaws.

I understand the devs don't want to overpower the Rex because it is used in boss battles but currently it is in a position where it's very basic and quite a redundant tame once you have gigas, and theris are proving to be a good option for boss battles anyway.

It should be the top carnivore along with the giga and spino, I currently feel no fear encountering a wild Rex, that's a shame as it is supposedly the 'tyrant lizard king.'

I would have no problem with breeding times being increased to compensate for the increase in strength.

we’ve tamed and bred many many rexes, and  the dps + health of a good imprinted rex is still incredible to me. obviously a giga is better but a giga isn’t used for bosses and is more difficult to breed. so i think the big upgrade will be its increased ability to handle rocks and mountains. that’s pretty much the main reason i don’t bring rexes out on meat runs: their difficulty in maneuvering around any slightly rocky environment.

however. i do believe a two person saddle would be a great feature for a rex. not absolutely necessary, but still a good thing.

Love the new rex model. Laughed when  I read  about the new poop stun thing (surely cant be serious lol) its actually a joke. All the other creatures seem to be getting cool new abilities and the rex gets a gimmick ability lol. Wish it got a decent ability such as like a grabbing flyers out the air or just something heck even just leave it as is lol Cant really comment on stats dont know enough lol

17 minutes ago, Demigod said:

we’ve tamed and bred many many rexes, and  the dps + health of a good imprinted rex is still incredible to me. obviously a giga is better but a giga isn’t used for bosses and is more difficult to breed. so i think the big upgrade will be its increased ability to handle rocks and mountains. that’s pretty much the main reason i don’t bring rexes out on meat runs: their difficulty in maneuvering around a non-rocky environment.

however. i do believe a two person saddle would be a great feature for a rex. not absolutely necessary, but still a good thing.

Our best gigas are around 500% melee when levelled up,that's about 2000 DMG per bite not including imprint. If you had a Rex with even a 1000%melee the DMG per bite would be 620... That is a ridiculous difference. The rexes do have very good HP though yes.

19 minutes ago, DarthaNyan said:

Well, being able to traverse better over rough terrain and slopes is a great addition imo, although many players see it as a fix rather than a new (passive) ability.

Oh dont get me wrong I love that but I read that as a fix rather than an ability as you say. Poop stun to me sounds like they tried to hard to think to give it an ability that wouldnt over power it but they needed to give it something.

Loved the new Rex, as far as the Skull goes, I feel it is a vast improvement. I have been to a Natural Museum and got a chance to see the Fossil model up close. The new version is closer to the fossil record, especially the Teeth and snout.

As for the roar sound, I agree, I would take the old sound or the new one with more bass to it, exactly as you said it. As it currently is, it feels it belongs to a smaller class or predator.

I am still unsure how I feel about the roar causing pooping, I can see people mass pooping before engaging the Rex to neutralize the effect, not to mention to me it feels a bit silly considering the realm of abilities that the Rex could have inherited.

As for its stats, I am pretty happy with the current ones. Its a pretty tanky animal and with 500%+ dmg its really awesome. The corrected navigation (aka not getting stuck between rocks) is definitely welcome too. It will be awesome.

Cheers! 

2 hours ago, RexManRex said:

-a DMG buff (62 is less than one of the dire bears attacks)

The Direbear is also far less tanky than the Rex, has smaller AOE, can't attack with that swipe while moving... And even with 62 Base Damage, the Rex has one of the highest base damage stats in the game, and one of the highest DPS stats in the game. I don't think it needs a base damage buff unless you plan on decreasing its ROF to maintain DPS

-a unique ability, maybe a bite that slows enemies down (it did have a bone crushing bite) or a headbutt which deals torpor, or the same ability as the Megalosaurus to grab flyers from the air.

I do wish its roar was a little less gimmicky, but I'm thinking it's going to be more powerful than we expect. My thought was always for it to be able to temporarily inflict the "Injured" status on its targets using a special bite

-The new model looks cool but it looks a bit too much like an allosaur, rexes had very broad skulls and enormous jaws.

I rather like the new model. The old one is too goofy looking, and while the new one is certainly more Allo-esque, it's still quite distinct.

Overall, I think the TLC is fine. My only real complaint is that the roar mechanic is probably going to be fairly limited in usefulness, so giving it another, more-broadly useful ability would be ideal, but there's nothing *bad* about the TLC per say

40 minutes ago, AngrySaltire said:

Oh dont get me wrong I love that but I read that as a fix rather than an ability as you say. Poop stun to me sounds like they tried to hard to think to give it an ability that wouldnt over power it but they needed to give it something.

I think one of the reasons here is Allo's have the bleed slow down so can't give that and the introduction of the Yuty made it so you couldn't give the same type of fear roar which is really what it should have. The Rex roar is like a Lion roar now. It stops everything else from what it was doing.

I seen a documentary where hyena's and alligator's were fighting over a hippo carcass. Off screen you hear a lion roar and the area vacated. The lion never even came over but it was enough that everything else bounced. A few hours later the alligator's and hyena's were back at it and a little bit after that another lion roar, another vacate of the area but this time it came in. Solo but that bad. 

Rex should be the same but with the Yuty getting the fear roar it kind of limited what ability they could give to the Rex so i'd also vote for no change other than model over fertliizer producer. 

12 minutes ago, LouSpowells said:

Are people really calling a mechanic that forces enemies to stop attacking and moving for a short period of time a gimmick? That's a pretty gnarly stun for an already powerful tame. I give it 2 weeks after it's implemented before people complain it's OP and ask for a nerf.

Won't effect anything higher level than itself, a high torpor character also offsets this which then transfers over to the mount.

14 minutes ago, LouSpowells said:

Are people really calling a mechanic that forces enemies to stop attacking and moving for a short period of time a gimmick? That's a pretty gnarly stun for an already powerful tame. I give it 2 weeks after it's implemented before people complain it's OP and ask for a nerf.

It forces to poop, and poop animation (aka "stun") in lots of cases shorter than rex's roar animation. So much for the "stun" effect, especially with many limitations it comes with.

29 minutes ago, PuffyPony said:

The Direbear is also far less tanky than the Rex, has smaller AOE, can't attack with that swipe while moving... And even with 62 Base Damage, the Rex has one of the highest base damage stats in the game, and one of the highest DPS stats in the game. I don't think it needs a base damage buff unless you plan on decreasing its ROF to maintain DPS

I do wish its roar was a little less gimmicky, but I'm thinking it's going to be more powerful than we expect. My thought was always for it to be able to temporarily inflict the "Injured" status on its targets using a special bite

I rather like the new model. The old one is too goofy looking, and while the new one is certainly more Allo-esque, it's still quite distinct.

Overall, I think the TLC is fine. My only real complaint is that the roar mechanic is probably going to be fairly limited in usefulness, so giving it another, more-broadly useful ability would be ideal, but there's nothing *bad* about the TLC per say

Good points, for me i just believe it's silly to have one dino (the giga) be so dominant, I think the game would be much more interesting if the Rex,spino and giga were neck and neck in terms of power but all had their own advantages and disadvantages. I'm very happy the spino is getting some love, it's long overdue.

I play single player so it really doesn't make much difference to me, but I can't honestly imagine any amazing awesome upgrades that could be made beyond this pooping mechanic without it getting out of hand. Otherwise why not go full blown making it into a charizard with fire tail and wings? Give some variety over just having a wyvern but then someone else will be mad it's not a Blastoise. Everyone will be thankful though it's not a Venusaur.

..It's Friday and I am bored at work.. just excuse me.

20 minutes ago, DarthaNyan said:

It forces to poop, and poop animation (aka "stun") in lots of cases shorter than rex's roar animation. So much for the "stun" effect.

Are you suggesting that the stun effect doesn't matter because the Rex who is roaring cannot capitalize on the stun? Get some friends to play Ark with you. Maybe they'll appreciate a 1-1.5 second respite used on queue or CD.

2 minutes ago, RexManRex said:

Good points, for me i just believe it's silly to have one dino (the giga) be so dominant, I think the game would be much more interesting if the Rex,spino and giga were neck and neck in terms of power but all had their own advantages and disadvantages. I'm very happy the spino is getting some love, it's long overdue.

then why would anyone go after taming a rare giga if it was in the same class as the rex? the thing that separates it from other tames is its sheer size, power, and less frequent spawn rate. the giga is the dominant apex predator of the land in ark, and stands as a trophy to those who successfully tame and breed them. i like it that way. 

i don’t really know how else the rex could be improved. i get that the pooping thing is a gimmick, but any further additions would make the rex way too overpowered for how commonly it spawns. the class that the rex currently sits in suits its roll well.

i think it would be really cool if the roar was changed to benefit the rex better. like, imagine if when the rex roared, if at full stamina, it would give the rex a 10 second buff that enabled bleeding damage with every bite it took. but during that 10 second period, your stamina would fully deplete to 0, regardless of what your levels into that stat are. would really make a crazy difference in a lot of scenarios, and it might be way too overpowered. i think it’s cool tho!

24 minutes ago, LouSpowells said:

Are you suggesting that the stun effect doesn't matter because the Rex who is roaring cannot capitalize on the stun? Get some friends to play Ark with you. Maybe they'll appreciate a 1-1.5 second respite used on queue or CD.

Pooping during combat happens all the time anyway, it doesnt affect anything in a grand scheme of things, especially with cooldown on pooping stun.

33 minutes ago, Demigod said:

then why would anyone go after taming a rare giga if it was in the same class as the rex? the thing that separates it from other tames is its sheer size, power, and less frequent spawn rate. the giga is the dominant apex predator of the land in ark, and stands as a trophy to those who successfully tame and breed them. i like it that way. 

i don’t really know how else the rex could be improved. i get that the pooping thing is a gimmick, but any further additions would make the rex way too overpowered for how commonly it spawns. the class that the rex currently sits in suits its roll well.

i think it would be really cool if the roar was changed to benefit the rex better. like, imagine if when the rex roared, if at full stamina, it would give the rex a 10 second buff that enabled bleeding damage with every bite it took. but during that 10 second period, your stamina would fully deplete to 0, regardless of what your levels into that stat are. would really make a crazy difference in a lot of scenarios, and it might be way too overpowered. i think it’s cool tho!

The giga would have its own set of advantages and disadvantages as would the Rex and spino (which already has its own niche that in that it is semi aquatic. the current giga is just too large and overpowered for my liking.

Spawn rate, breeding time etc would all be adjusted fittingly. overall there are many Dino's underpowered in this game compared to what they actually were, the Rex is one, the trike is another and so is the megalodon.

32 minutes ago, DarthaNyan said:

Pooping during combat happens all the time anyway, it doesnt affect anything in a grand scheme of things, especially with cooldown on pooping stun.

It's all theory at this point, but I'm confident you're underestimating it. After it's released, I give it 3 weeks before people are requesting a nerf. We'll see I guess.

Archived