Raising Wyverns the hard way

Lurtz

So lately my tribe seems to have an awful time keeping things alive and maintaining resources

I was wondering

If I built a metal room with fireplaces in it (not campfires) how many would I need to successfully hatch a wyvern egg, how big could the box be and could my tribemates raise their own wyverns on meat instead of milk?  I understand imprinting as babies is milk but if we didn't care for imprints much could we still get away with meat and fires instead of milks and AC's? 

Can a wyvern egg ever become "too hot" ? 

I think if you use like between 15 and 20 standing torches it will work to incubate them. However they will not eat meat before they are an adult, only milk. It is (or at least was) possible to raise a high lvl one with a lot of devotion without feeding it at all but you have to have someone online 24/7 and you need a healing pig to get its HP up. I do not know if that is still possible though.

On 02/02/2018 at 1:49 AM, Lurtz said:

So lately my tribe seems to have an awful time keeping things alive and maintaining resources

I was wondering

If I built a metal room with fireplaces in it (not campfires) how many would I need to successfully hatch a wyvern egg, how big could the box be and could my tribemates raise their own wyverns on meat instead of milk?  I understand imprinting as babies is milk but if we didn't care for imprints much could we still get away with meat and fires instead of milks and AC's? 

Can a wyvern egg ever become "too hot" ? 

Wyverns are one of the easiest raises (rock drake is easiest hands down). You would be much better off building a decent trap and just milking females when needed... so little work required, much easier / less time consuming than daedon heal raising. If you dont have access to milk on your server go to a rag 

10 minutes ago, Buck386 said:
On 2/10/2018 at 9:26 AM, Sw1perNOsw1ping said:
Imprints can make or break a wyvern, just have to trap one female keep someone in render range and retrank when ya need milk 

That doesnt work can only milk a female once

Females replenish their milk if they are awake for an hour before retranqing. Also, @GerbilRex you're very wrong. 8 ACs  aren't near enough for wyvern or drake eggs. ACs basically provide insulation from temperatures for a certain amount for a 2 foundation radius. In my aberration base in the biolume which constantly stays 68 degrees (one of the cooler places on the map), it takes exactly 20 ACs to not be "too hot" for drake eggs. Some people in the upper mushroom forest have reported needing up to 32 ACs to hatch drakes.  It's purely dependant on the ambient temperature and the egg in question. 

1 hour ago, banggugyangu said:

Females replenish their milk if they are awake for an hour before retranqing. Also, @GerbilRex you're very wrong. 8 ACs  aren't near enough for wyvern or drake eggs. ACs basically provide insulation from temperatures for a certain amount for a 2 foundation radius. In my aberration base in the biolume which constantly stays 68 degrees (one of the cooler places on the map), it takes exactly 20 ACs to not be "too hot" for drake eggs. Some people in the upper mushroom forest have reported needing up to 32 ACs to hatch drakes.  It's purely dependant on the ambient temperature and the egg in question. 

I second this.  For scorched earth, the -generally- accepted number of ACs to hatch an egg is at least 12.  Some say 14.  Some say don't even try without 20.

About the wyvern, you'll wanna go ahead and do the imprints.  Since the 8-hour change to imprints, wyverns are one of the creatures they didn't screw up with the new-NEW ratios of imprint to maturation.  Getting 100% is not only possible, it is basically your saddle.  I'm always amazed with how many wyverns are bought and sold considering this...  You find out just how squishy they are when the heat is on you and you aren't imprinted.

Plus the people selling usually do group raises and end up with crappy imprints (<70%) so the buyer doesn't even get the full stat bonus.  My views of dino-salesman aside, do what you need for an imprinted wyvern.  You will not forget it, and with a >90% imprint you will never see these flying juggernauts the same.

16 hours ago, Skiidzman said:

I have never seen it cost more than 18 AC's, period.

Put 6 down on a wall, put 6 in front of those 6, put two ceilings on the wall above them, put 6 in the back, and IF (doubtful)  you need more put 6 in the front. boom.

As I said,  in the biolume (A constant 68 deg where my base is) it takes 20 ACs to hatch drake eggs.  This is the coldest area of the map except the surface at night.  Rock drake eggs like it cold.  With 19 ACs (Yes... I tried it with 19) I got "Too Hot".  With 20, it was perfect.  In hotter areas, it takes more.  If you're up in the mushroom forest, you could need up to 32 ACs to hatch rock drake eggs.  This isn't an exaggeration.  I've see someone actually get the too hot message on these eggs myself with 31 ACs packed in a tiny area (1.5x1.5 foundations wide,  Egg right on top of all of them.)

On 2/13/2018 at 6:16 AM, banggugyangu said:

Well, then you can assume different maps?

3 hours ago, GerbilRex said:

Well, then you can assume different maps?

You're wrong regardless of maps.  Wyverns want the hottest temperatures of all eggs. On scorched earth, the hottest map by far, it's recommended a minimum of 14 ACs for day hatching.  Night times are cold, so you need even more than that if you're hatching at night. Admittedly, if you took a rock drake egg to Ragnarok, you could hatch it probably in the murder murder snow, but do we even need to humor that? 

12 hours ago, banggugyangu said:

You're wrong regardless of maps.  Wyverns want the hottest temperatures of all eggs. On scorched earth, the hottest map by far, it's recommended a minimum of 14 ACs for day hatching.  Night times are cold, so you need even more than that if you're hatching at night. Admittedly, if you took a rock drake egg to Ragnarok, you could hatch it probably in the murder murder snow, but do we even need to humor that? 

My base is over a volcano and yes, my other one is in murder snow. I hatch them in those two areas, so that might explain it.

Archived