High populated Ubuntu Server Performance

xNeo

Hi, I have a dedicated server running over Ubuntu, 3 CrossARK maps and the server population has increased over 75+ concurrent users lately. I've noticed that the ping increases (obviously) from 25 to 80-90 ms, which is fine. I was wondering if there's a way to increase server performance because I see the following:

RAM usage is at 60% (32 gb total) 

CPU usage is 30-40%

Bandwidth usage is about 2.5 mbps

Ragnarok has the higher ping with 65+ connected users, BUT, Aberration and The Island still having low ping with 7-8 connected users, about 25-35 ms when ragnarok has 70-85ms. 

Any suggestions? I would like to increase the performance on ragnarok and clearly isn't a hardware issue, I've tried "renicing" the process, assigning multiple processors with no luck so far. 

Thank you 

Your CPU usage is 30-40% of total CPU meaning it is using 30-40% of all processing cores but the UE4 game engine is extremely single threaded meaning you are most likely pushing a single thread to max clock speed which is the bottleneck. From my experiments and others on the internet, the best way to alleviate is this is with a very high clocked processor with the highest IPC you can get. UE4 does use an additional core but barely and it never pushes the 2nd core to the max. Even the Devs have stated they use unlocked intel K processors to host 70 ppl for tournament battles. 

Also the island and aberration are more optimized as they were created by the devs while the center and ragnorak were created by players and incorporated by the devs and thus don't have the same optimizations, plus center and ragnorak are bigger. 

see link for proof:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/133256689833470783/

2 hours ago, xNeo said:

awesome! will see if a hardware upgrade is available with my hosting provider, thx! btw, the actual processor is:

model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1230 v3 @ 3.30GHz

That is a 2013 processor that only clocks to 3.7ghz. I had something similar, i5 4670, same generation that only clocked to 3.7ghz also and started to get lag on Ragnarok with a 70 ppl, big bases and lots of dinos. Once I upgraded to a faster newer higher clocked processor the lag and ping came down. For quick reference check pass mark single threaded list to compare cpus.

Your e3 scored 2096, my i5 4670 scored 2153, my new cpu scored 2500, and the best one i7 8700k scores 2727 so your cpu is almost 30% behind in single thread speed and doesn't have the newest instruction sets either. For reference the dev's i7 6700k scored 2350.

Also if you run boosted rates, use the optimized harvesting setting, supposedly it helps.

Archived