Rockwell strategies

TheSnives

A few things to know before I keep going. I have never done a bossfight before. I also play singleplayer and I have my dino level gains for melee and health upped to 1 (before they were like .17 or .44). Most of my combat dinos have around 2500 melee and 10-20,000 health. Now onto the questions.

Would a team of high level, bred ravagers have a chance against gamma Rockwell? I used to think they would be able to have a chance but im not so sure now. If I were to use this strategy I would take 20 ravagers each with about 2500 damage and 20,000 health, hopefully. Would this be possible? Would they be able to deal with the reapers and the orbs? This strategy would be the easiest for me since I can breed ravagers pretty fast.

If ravagers aren't viable then what should I use? I'm sure spinos would get the job done but I'm not sure how easy it would be to find two high level ones, tame them, breed 20 more, and level all them up. And what about karkinos? I doubt I'll ever use karkinos since I have the most trouble taming them (It's too easy to kill them), but my karkinos has really good stats so I bet it would work really well. And should I bring a reaper king or Two? I have one lvl 125ish reaper already and I'm planning to get a perfect tame one at some point.

How much of a threat are those balls? Is it absolutely necessary to shoot them or Not? And what's a good singleplayer strat to deal with them?

Thanks for any suggestions and please give me tips on anything that's important to know for the boss fight.

Solo... this is a tough fight without a shadow of a doubt. The #1 concern you’ll have is multitargeting. The tentacles closest to you absolutely must be your first concern, if you get shocked off your mount, it’s practically over. The orbs are more of a threat than they seem, they hit the mount and the rider, 10 hits will break most journeyman and higher flak, then they will have direct impact which you might only be able to stand as many as 3-5 hits with increased health. You need to shoot them, they don’t go away. But you can also kite them since they move slow, and dedicate a clip of an AR to cleaning them up when you have enough behind or hit a blockade of reapers or electric field.

ill-advised to go without a charge pet, since the reapers are relatively unphased by basic damage in the dark, they will block you in and hold you in place for the orbs to finish you off.

Your back up dinos(to my knowledge) will not attack or target the boss or tentacles on their own, I’m almost certain they will not be much more than meat shields to fend off the nameless and reapers while you work down the boss. Your adds should have the best of the best saddles and be the tankiest things to walk the earth if you want them to walk out of there with you. Suggested to set them on wander and aggressive/neutral, whistle follow all before fight and stop during fight, so they begin to spread out and not all get hit by the same orbs.

Ranged weapons would be a good thing to have even if your Dino does more damage, because you cannot hit the electric tentacles while they are down, and that costs you precious time(30 min fight). A 200% fab shotgun should kill a gamma tentacle in 4-5 shots for damage reference.

So. Key factors are out there. That all being noted, you yourself need to ride a Dino that can move quick to avoid orbs, has good health and defense(doesn’t need to be amazing) to tank nameless/reapers that take an occasional shot at you while you kill tentacles and orbs(you can brush off reapers and nameless on your adds to help you maintain sight and mobility), but also be able to use mounted weaponry. You also need a shine pet who can stay active for the entire fight(600+ charge). Also to note, shine pets will dismount your shoulder if the electric field hits you, buff health and give em a helmet with your extra points to help them live if it happens.

Your adds need to be on the top teir of health, move fast enough to spread out and avoid conjoint damage, and knock back is a major plus as it drops off the DPS they take. If I were to suggest anything, stegos... lots of high HP stegos. Give all of them 2-4 stacks of sweet veggie to further improve their survivability. And set them in two different order groups, pull one set to the far side of the boss, and leave the other set in front of them.

So to recap with detail: suggested 18 adds, 1 mount, 1 shoulder pet. Mount can be things like a rav/krakinos/drake. Drake is a seriously favored suggestion, being able shoot on mount, eat venom for an instant 100hp, move fast and jump out of danger is more useful than you know. Bring Atleast one gun with a lot of ammo. Adds on solo should be tanks, build and pick out accordingly. You need flak, multiple sets, Atleast 2 if your good, more if you aren’t sure you can multitask. Med brews for backup, not entirely sure you will use them, but just in case bring maybe 20-30. And most importantly, work your way around in an order. Kill one tentacle closest to the boss and follow it around to the other tentacle in front of the boss, this nets you more damage time on the boss since you’ll be closer. If you’re doing exceptionally well as far as boss health/time, help out your adds, keep em alive for the next round if they worked in your favor.

The first 40% is easy by the way, don’t let it catch you off gaurd when the hard portion of the fight kicks in(noticeable by the boss going underwater for an extended period of time).

2 hours ago, TheSnives said:

A few things to know before I keep going. I have never done a bossfight before. I also play singleplayer and I have my dino level gains for melee and health upped to 1 (before they were like .17 or .44). Most of my combat dinos have around 2500 melee and 10-20,000 health. Now onto the questions.

Wait, you can change the gain for specific stats? How can I do this?

To add to that, you might also benefit from sacrificing some tank adds for a small kill squad to follow you around. Since almost nothing will die unless you step in the fight with a chargepet. You might be able to drop off the damage received on the tanks by killing what’s on them as you pass by them with a few melee/health tames and the charge light.

Awesome! So stegos work well against the reaper and everything? Good to know. A few more questions too.

So riderless dinos don't attack the tentacles? What if I whistle attack my target on a tentacle? Could I do that and then fight the reapers myself?

So it seems my dinos will fight the reaper and nameless while I fight Rockwell and the tentacles? Is that right?

Should I focus on killing the tentacles or shooting the orbs? I bet I will have to multitask and do both.

1 hour ago, Gogohorse said:

Wait, you can change the gain for specific stats? How can I do this?

For a singleplayer server, go to advanced settings, it should be called tamed dino level gain I think. For a while everything except health and melee we'e at 1. I think health was at .44 and melee was .17 or something, but I think setting them to 1 is so much more enjoyable for singleplayer.

Just now, TheSnives said:

Awesome! So stegos work well against the reaper and everything? Good to know. A few more questions too.

So riderless dinos don't attack the tentacles? What if I whistle attack my target on a tentacle? Could I do that and then fight the reapers myself?

So it seems my dinos will fight the reaper and nameless while I fight Rockwell and the tentacles? Is that right?

Should I focus on killing the tentacles or shooting the orbs? I bet I will have to multitask and do both.

As mentioned, somewhere deep in that short novel lol, they’re just meat shields, all they do is keep them off you while you do your thing. I’m positive they are incapable of killing the reapers, potentially knocking a few nameless off though.

To my knowledge, they don’t acknowledge the tentacles/boss at all, but if they do and I was doing something wrong, someone please let me know.

You are the heart and soul of the fight, it’s nothing like the other bosses, you have to get out there and take the boss down yourself, since it’s well out of the AI’s ability to go tentacle to tentacle and kill the boss.(assuming they will target them)

You want to keep a small safe haven from tentacles reach at all times so you can avoid the electricity, so killing the first tentacle the moment they spawn near the boss is ideal, then working clockwise/counter-clockwise is best.

The orbs as mentioned will just never leave you alone, and are a very significant threat if you don’t deal with them. You can take them on as they get near or kite them if you have room to move, they do move rather slow, not much different from a stegos base speed I’d think. If you use the Dino as main offense, perch up under the tentacles and move the camera around to check for incoming orbs, and back off as needed so you can avoid/shoot them. If you use a gun, look around after each reload/half clip/kill. You can’t force reload while on mount(console exclusively  maybe?), so be cautious when using a shotty, maybe have a fab pistol/AR backup.

I don’t think any boss was designed to fight solo, so multitasking/targeting is huuuuuge for solo. You don’t have someone to cover you from orbs, or kite reapers while you kill the tentacles, so it’s gonna be a headache and even probably prepared you might still lose cause of a small fluke like being dismounted near a reaper. Or getting trapped in your stegos right at spawn. Odd things like that...

But this is all the solo strat I’ve come to know, I would suggest you get more feedback and ideas to help guarantee a victory.

9 hours ago, TheSnives said:

For a singleplayer server, go to advanced settings, it should be called tamed dino level gain I think. For a while everything except health and melee we'e at 1. I think health was at .44 and melee was .17 or something, but I think setting them to 1 is so much more enjoyable for singleplayer.

Ok, thanks

11 hours ago, FirstToFire said:

To my knowledge, they don’t acknowledge the tentacles/boss at all, but if they do and I was doing something wrong, someone please let me know.

One of Syntac's video showcasing Mega being whistled to target rockwell himself whenever his heart is exposed for Gamma and Beta while he and rest of his crew with their Rock Drakes do the tentacle killing spree, even with Reaper Kings and great balls of doom on their tail.

If you need video, I'll post the link.

(And yes, they have been standing close to rockwell  the whole time, with no balls or reapers or nameless going after them.)

If you're going in solo, bring 3 spinos and 3 rock drakes.  Drakes with 15k+ HP and 50+ armor saddles.  Fill them with 100 or so nameless venom each before entering. Spinos with 15k+ HP and 300%+ melee with 50+ armor saddles. Fill yourself with a 200%+ dmg pump action, 100+ med brews, 2-3 full sets of flak with high durability and 600 shotgun shells.  Have a shoulder pet with a super high armor helmet.  You're going to want your spinos on one tame group and your drakes on another.

Once inside, immediately whistle your spinos to attack Rockwell.  They will run up to his stomach and just keep biting him.  They won't do any damage until you kill the tentacles, but since Rockwell has like no HP, they will do enough damage to push you through the phases.  Whistle your drakes as far from Rockwell as possible, behind where you spawn in.  Jump on each, if you can, and cloak them.  Then, jump on 1 and use it as your tame.  Methodically, go around Rockwell shotgunning each tentacle from the back of the drake.  Once you pop each tentacle, he will stagger and your spinos will do enough damage to get him to stand up again.  If you're doing the tentacles in a circle starting from where you spawn in, when you kill the last tentacle you will be close enough to the spawn point to start the rotation again.

You can do the above and basically ignore all the seeker balls.  Just keep an eye on your health and use med brews as needed.  If one piece of your flak breaks, swap out your entire set.

Now, here's where it gets tough.  When the boss looks near death, at around 15% HP left, all heck breaks loose.  You have 2 more phases to go.  During these phases you need to go sloooow around him popping the tentacles and also popping seeker balls (there will be MANY).  If you get attacked by a reaper, focus your shotgun on that and then move on.  I wouldn't glide around much as the controls get really janky.  Just stay on the ground and cloak as much as you can to avoid reaper agro.

If your drake gets low HP, as it might, chug all that venom.  Venom heals a drake 100HP per eat.  If your drake runs out of venom and is low on HP, switch to one of the other drakes you brought. 

That's about it.  The fight is pretty simple, but gets chaotic during the last two tentacle kill phases.  These phases cause people to panic and that's when mistakes happen.  Stay calm, go slow and prioritize orbs that are close to you, reapers that are on you and then the tentacles.  Your shotgun should do enough damage from the other side of Rockwell to hit the tentacles behind him to be effective.  You don't need to be point blank.

On 2/2/2018 at 2:57 PM, Paroxyde said:

Did you guys read what he said? 2500 melee. 

You just bring one megalosaur and a light pet, then just run around. You pretty much will one-shot everything unless you set up resistance or damage wrong. Bring a gun to shoot at the deep red balls and you will be fine. 

2.5k melee and 20k HP on a dino won't matter if the user dies, especially at phases where shocks from tentacles can end the whole run. This electric can literally knock the light pet off and potentially killing it in the process if its not well protected enough or has low HP.

4 hours ago, Vaculity said:

2.5k melee and 20k HP on a dino won't matter if the user dies, especially at phases where shocks from tentacles can end the whole run. This electric can literally knock the light pet off and potentially killing it in the process if its not well protected enough or has low HP.

Have you seen the winding up of the shock attack? He has more than enough time to kill it or steer clear of it. Light pet won't matter much as damage reduction on reapers are 90% which means it's still at 250% melee, which is plenty enough to kill reaper queens, so kings don't even stand a chance... 

Archived