Base placement against stego drain

BangersInc

Looking to get some ideas from people that regularly use stegos as a means to drain auto turrets to raid.

My thinking on a new base location is to use a ledge above ground so no land dinos can physically walk up to the base. If this was the case, I'm guessing the strategy would be to drop the stegos on top of the base or have them hovered on a quetz saddle? If this is the case, how effective would the stegos be to drain if being carried or sitting on a quetz? If dropped would a mass of metal spikes onto of the base make any difference?

Let's say said base is a 3x3x3, completely covering the ledge, with 20 full auto turrets on top with spikes and plants. Let's also assume raiders are using bred dinos of a higher level than average.

I don't mind putting the effort into creating a Base, but I'd like to know how difficult this design would be to raid if we make it. Obviously I know some of the larger tribes with multiple high imprinted stegos would get past this, but would it survive one may be two stegos if they were unable to walk up to base.

Any info on countering stego drain and tactics of that nature would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Being on a ledge where they can't just walk them up to you is better, but as you say they will drop them on you from above.  Wyvern is the best way to stego drop as Q is slow and more likely to get hit by plants and then hammered by the autos.  Spikes mean less turrets if you have a box covering the ledge, unless you do turret towers around the rim.  Remember that you expect to lose a stego or 5 on a really good base, so as long as they last long enough even on spike to get explosives out you are going to lose spikes and turrets around them.  The higher the DPS the less damage they can do before getting killed.  It is a numbers game, you want to have enough turrets to kill them before they can blow the turrets up.  You don't want to be in a situation where they can bring the stegs in and out of range because they can just take their time and drain your bullets.  Last comment is that any base can be wiped, and it is really a matter of making it not worth the spent resources and effort rather than being able to have an un-raidable base.  Some of the mega insane bases with thousands of turrets on sky box high towers are no longer possible with the coming turret limits.  If you are going against a mega with vaults and vaults of stuff you are going to lose whatever you build, unless you are another mega with just as much stuff and slot cap the server with defenders.  Having active defenders is a must, otherwise it is just time and resources and your base is going to be gone.

Just a heads up: 

Stegos are changing soon...roughly three weeks. I'd recommend not building your base around the current stego tanking methods because they may be rendered obsolete...meaning you built your base to accommodate mechanics that no longer exist. (Mostly I just don't want to see a post 3.5 weeks from now saying, "I spent 3 weeks making my base and now these idiots change Stegos.")

1 hour ago, Janexlolz said:

Ok, my turrets target only players so dropping stegos in my base will just result in ... a lot of stegos chilling in my base.

95 percent of the time the riders dont get shot off stegos.

Your main concern after stego nerf will be rock golems with better quality saddles i.e MC or ascendant. We all saw how ridiculous this was on legacy.

@BangersInc How large a base are you trying to build? At roughly 3x3x3 there are some decent spots that are basically indents in cliff faces, inaccessible by land, such that you can pretty much eliminate the dino dropping problem because your roof is all or mostly the overhanging cliff above you. It takes a lot of tedius work to fit into these spots and wall off from the ground all the way to the natural ceiling, but in my experience worth the effort.

Totally still raidable, but a serious pain. From tribe log it appears that the successful raid (which is uncommon) when I've been fully set up like this involves argies draining bullets and then a barrage of RPGs. Unfortunately I've never been online when one of these bases has been hit to play defender or see exactly what the raiders are up to. I'm not sure I've fully optimized my turret setting either - of course I've worked on that, but I have the feeling my scheme could still be better.

On 2/2/2018 at 3:56 AM, oScottieHo said:

Your main concern after stego nerf will be rock golems with better quality saddles i.e MC or ascendant. We all saw how ridiculous this was on legacy.

Do you know this for sure? Not sure as in you read it but you actually tested it. Because every time I have tested it placing turrets above where stegos would be with turrets on survivor only resulted in the rider being killed right away every time.

On 2/2/2018 at 11:56 AM, oScottieHo said:

That is why you place majority of turrets as high as possible. Turrets hit only dinos if they are at the same level or little bit above dino hight. If you place them up high, they always hit person riding it.

Archived