Why do people hate Gas Balls?

Psych0P3nguin

So I see all gas veins have the collector on them. And on official I used to do a lot of asking if I could take gas balls from people's collectors, until I realized they all say "Go ahead, we don't use them. They're worthless." 3 hours of farming Gas Balls and Green Gems by myself and I have filled up 3 Generators to max 4 more to half. If you had a tribe doing a run a day, you could easily fill generators and have plenty extra. So my question is, why do people think that this is a worthless way to farm gasoline?

If you farmed trilobites on the blue side of the swamp river for 3 hours you'd be able to fill 20 generators from all the oil collected and just need to use 1 reaper.  The gas ball/green gem conversion needs to be doubled or tripled to make it viable.  Doing the gas ball/green gem method, you need to farm gems with an anky or doedic, cart the massive amount of weight back to base, move that weight around into chem benches multiple times plus use a drake to efficiently collect enough gas balls.

Putting 40 items into the chem bench to get 5 gasoline is ridiculously stingy.

5 hours ago, Psych0P3nguin said:

So I see all gas veins have the collector on them. And on official I used to do a lot of asking if I could take gas balls from people's collectors, until I realized they all say "Go ahead, we don't use them. They're worthless." 3 hours of farming Gas Balls and Green Gems by myself and I have filled up 3 Generators to max 4 more to half. If you had a tribe doing a run a day, you could easily fill generators and have plenty extra. So my question is, why do people think that this is a worthless way to farm gasoline?

Because 10 minutes on the surface for oil nets you about the same/more :P

They only stack to 10, but you need 20, 50, or more to craft anything so they are annoying to store unless you have a dedicated "gas ball storage" dino.

On 02/02/2018 at 5:53 AM, Janexlolz said:

So what is your element consumption? Same as it shows in ark wiki?

On max range i think its approximately 12per day? Probably slightly less but Its very little upkeep for a large tribe honestly. We are currently running 4 generators on max to power our area completely  (the range is huge... highly recommend building the generators off the floor, approx 8-10 walls high so you can also build towers that will be powered)

Tek troughs are life also. Gg wildcard, so glad you made tek relevant finally. Boss fights sucked, glad i got all the engrams before Abb.. wont be going back ?

On 2/3/2018 at 12:09 PM, Haz2014 said:

On max range i think its approximately 12per day? Probably slightly less but Its very little upkeep for a large tribe honestly. We are currently running 4 generators on max to power our area completely  (the range is huge... highly recommend building the generators off the floor, approx 8-10 walls high so you can also build towers that will be powered)

Tek troughs are life also. Gg wildcard, so glad you made tek relevant finally. Boss fights sucked, glad i got all the engrams before Abb.. wont be going back ?

I did some testing. I have one turret tower that is 3x3 foundations and 9 wall high with hatchframes that goes outwards as far as possible. If I place tek generator in middle of the tower in all axis(x,y and z) then I can power it with 2.8 range and it consumes 1 element in 11h and 15minutes.

I tested max range as well and it did consume 1 element shard every 2 minutes and 40 seconds which would be 1 element every 4h and 26. minutes

On 06/02/2018 at 11:36 AM, Janexlolz said:

I did some testing. I have one turret tower that is 3x3 foundations and 9 wall high with hatchframes that goes outwards as far as possible. If I place tek generator in middle of the tower in all axis(x,y and z) then I can power it with 2.8 range and it consumes 1 element in 11h and 15minutes.

I tested max range as well and it did consume 1 element shard every 2 minutes and 40 seconds which would be 1 element every 4h and 26. minutes

Wow alot less than i thought. Been putting like 30 ele in at a time and its lasting a while.. Thanks for the info was that tested on official or sp/player dedi? 

On 10/02/2018 at 1:16 AM, Sabele said:

Early game the farm is real though. The fact that they only stack up to 10 per slot is such a waste i think.

100% agree... no need for them to do that as it is very easy to get a replicator up and running on aberration so all bps are easily crafted anyway mays well let us use fabricator... (wish the reppy could be powered by a tek gen also)

Archived