Dire bears

gsneale

Guest DJRone89
1 hour ago, gsneale said:

With upgrades to dire bears able to get honey, does this mean we will be flying around on quetzals to get at beehives with our bears or will beehives be lowered into reach of bear. Would be good if bear could climb tree to access hive.

Not all beehives are found in the redwoods but I agree that bears should have tree climbing mechanic even if it’s just part of the harvesting process.

• Volunteer Moderator
7 minutes ago, BennBruce said:

Direbears are my favourite so I can't wait to see what the devs come up with.

In case you didn't see the preview yet:

On 1/12/2018 at 7:19 PM, Jen said:

The Direbear!

large.Direbear.jpg

We believe the Direbear is in relatively secure place at the moment. Though, we're still planning on making a few changes to it!

When riding a Direbear, players will be immune to bees. They won't be able to knock you off your bear, and they will target focus the bear instead of the player.

In addition to this change, the bear will also be able to harvest honey from wild beehives without attracting bees or hurting the hive. Plus the amount of honey it receives will be 2x the standard amount.

What I don't understand is this: 

- The Direbear will also be able to harvest honey from wild beehives without attracting bees or hurting the hive.

But they can't climb? That just makes that new ability utterly useless, or am I missing something? If they at least could harvest honey from tame bee hives... And speaking of... why can't they?

1 hour ago, Zahlea said:

- The Direbear will also be able to harvest honey from wild beehives without attracting bees or hurting the hive.

But they can't climb? That just makes that new ability utterly useless, or am I missing something? If they at least could harvest honey from tame bee hives... And speaking of... why can't they?

They're adding bears to aberration, where hives are on the ground all over the place

On 1/30/2018 at 8:52 PM, BennBruce said:

Yeah I had a bit of a look earlier, the bear looks a lot less like a pug now, I guess I won't even need my hive anymore because of the 2x honey thing. I'm still really curious to see if they will give bears the ability to climb or not.

Unless you have only one or two bee hive, its still going to be useful. I believe the harvesting of honey cooldown still applies to wild hives even if direbear harvests it..

7 hours ago, Zahlea said:

I agree but then Thylas would be utterly useless due to the bears superior stats. 

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 5:03 PM, Zahlea said:

I don't think you need to worry too much.

On my singleplayer I have a couple wild hives outside the Redwoods (Island) on a short coastal cliff face that my bear could more than easily get to. Of course I did get pretty lucky with these, but my main point is that it is possible to find low hanging hives on The Island.

On the other hand, if your not as lucky then I think your next best option is to build a scaffold up to a wild hive.

20 hours ago, Anubis7 said:

I agree but then Thylas would be utterly useless due to the bears superior stats. 

If they made it a simple up-and-down climb with no attacks, just a grab-honey function it should be alright...and if it was programmed to only climb trees that were capable of supporting tree platforms I think it'd be pretty solid.

3 hours ago, LouSpowells said:

If they made it a simple up-and-down climb with no attacks, just a grab-honey function it should be alright...and if it was programmed to only climb trees that were capable of supporting tree platforms I think it'd be pretty solid.

Or if it could only climb trees that have a hive? It's a good concept, I do hope it will be implemented, as the only other creature in my knowledge able of climbing surfaces is the Rock Drake, am I correct?

16 hours ago, DromaeoSapiens said:

On the other hand, if your not as lucky then I think your next best option is to build a scaffold up to a wild hive.

Yeah, this is my point... For most, even if not all, bee hives, one would have to build scaffolding which to me nullifies the ability... so a whole ability for only a very few rare cases? Doesn't make sense to me... unless they're only doing it for aberration as suggested by another reply.

Archived