Minigun Turret Sucks Now

Daedros

On 1/30/2018 at 1:46 PM, LouSpowells said:

Let me translate your post:

"WC spends so much time changing things I don't want them to change. It makes the game harder for me and less convenient. There are other things they could have been spending their time on than the maybe 2 minutes it took to modify the files to decrease range.

Is there anybody at Wildcard that's actually interested in doing exactly what I want them to and listening to my preferred priority list?!"

Cute.   I'm an interpreter and wrote exactly what I meant.   

For those of us playing since the start of this game, we've seen mess after mess.   Some  nerfs have been appropriate, others have been outrageous and have caused huge chunks of the player base to quit for other, better-managed, better-performing games.   I WANT this game to succeed, but see misstep after stupid misstep.   Mocking deserved criticism does nobody any favors and only serves to reinforce their bad habits.

As a grown-up with decades of professional experience, it seems that WC is poorly managed and has an amateurish approach towards public relations.

1 hour ago, EmperorFabulous said:

Cute.   I'm an interpreter and wrote exactly what I meant.   

For those of us playing since the start of this game, we've seen mess after mess.   Some  nerfs have been appropriate, others have been outrageous and have caused huge chunks of the player base to quit for other, better-managed, better-performing games.   I WANT this game to succeed, but see misstep after stupid misstep.   Mocking deserved criticism does nobody any favors and only serves to reinforce their bad habits.

As a grown-up with decades of professional experience, it seems that WC is poorly managed and has an amateurish approach towards public relations.

If - instead of responding to the substance of my response - you want to change the subject the history of Ark and your grievances, I can't stop you. If that were the topic, I'd agree that Wildcard has made many missteps in the development process of the game. 

But that wasn't the argument I responded to. The argument you made was:

On 1/29/2018 at 7:22 PM, EmperorFabulous said:

WC spends so much time nerfing things that don't need to be touched, that they cause themselves (and us) more problems down the road.
There are many more significant game problems to fix than the reducing the range of the minigun. 

Does ANYBODY at Wildcard have a clue as to what they're doing and what the priorities should be?

Don't confuse your own entitlement to getting what you want for the missteps that we can all agree Wildcard has made.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah the range nerf for the mounted minigun turrets make them basically a complete waste in terms of engram points and resources, they have no use as stationary anti-air guns anymore (which they were great for), and very little use now on a siege dino such as a quetz or paracer. The homing missile paired with a rocket launcher and the standard ballista are the best player controlled AA weapons now, as well as high grade snipers and that lot. 

I would be overjoyed to see them implement the degradation feature like the rocket turret has and just restore the range to what it was, that would make siege beast mounted turrets very very veryveryvery very expensive and risky to use in excess (you usually kill alot, of or all average tames in a enemy base before you run out of bullets, :P I know this). That way they will break after a certain amount of bullets fired, and would or should, cost as much as the rocket turret does to repair. Plus the knowledge that you might have repair materials on your siege dino makes it a juicy thicc target for the enemies of your tribe your massacring, they'll throw their best at you for the materials carried by your beast, but that's IF they're online, (and they usually are trying to kill you hard already when they are online :P).

I would happily deplete my tribe's resources to continue my grandeur machine gunning with those turrets. And they'd be happy to have capable AA guns back even if it cost them for repairs. We are in the process of creating those new heavy turrets to replace many a standard auto turret still, and to fill in the (gaping) gaps our mounted AA guns have left us with. Along with more homing missiles and powerful snipers, those both are great for taking down flyers especially after the flyer nerf. 

If they implement the changes I've been talking up (doubtful) they can also ruin the minigun turret for good though, because if it breaks too soon, your stuck with no decent offense on a quetzal or paracer. You need to be able to kill lots of medium and small dinos with the turrets and a handfull of large dinos before your turret "overheats" or "breaks", to have it ever be worth crafting and spending those engram points. And don't forget the ammunition cost,  the minigun turret is notorious for being very hard to track and shoot targets on moving platforms, and to not shoot off 50 out of 100 rounds into everything but the target is impressive. Hats off to you if your a crackshot with that thing. Were a crackshot I should say. 

Mini gun turret should hold more ammo like the heavy turret now. You rip through your ammo stash way to quick. If you think mini gun is useless your prob using it on offense. Its really good defensive tool to take out soakers... if you plan it right. Can give you that extra DPS on the soaker before they walk out of range and heal if they arnt expecting someone to be jumping on the minigun. 

My strat is you hide the mini gun behind a small dino gate in your base wall at which ever direction enemies coming from. If you pop open two gates from your base with loaded mounted mini guns and catch the soakers off guard you can hopefully take them out with the increased DPS catching them by surprise. Surprise works once but helps to create chaos on the battlefield as well as make them more cautious and switch up their strat on their next attack push. Most people will just think the gates in the base wall for flyers to come in and out of :) 

15 hours ago, Moleratstew said:

Yeah the range nerf for the mounted minigun turrets make them basically a complete waste in terms of engram points and resources, they have no use as stationary anti-air guns anymore (which they were great for), and very little use now on a siege dino such as a quetz or paracer. The homing missile paired with a rocket launcher and the standard ballista are the best player controlled AA weapons now, as well as high grade snipers and that lot. 

I would be overjoyed to see them implement the degradation feature like the rocket turret has and just restore the range to what it was, that would make siege beast mounted turrets very very veryveryvery very expensive and risky to use in excess (you usually kill alot, of or all average tames in a enemy base before you run out of bullets, :P I know this). That way they will break after a certain amount of bullets fired, and would or should, cost as much as the rocket turret does to repair. Plus the knowledge that you might have repair materials on your siege dino makes it a juicy thicc target for the enemies of your tribe your massacring, they'll throw their best at you for the materials carried by your beast, but that's IF they're online, (and they usually are trying to kill you hard already when they are online :P).

I would happily deplete my tribe's resources to continue my grandeur machine gunning with those turrets. And they'd be happy to have capable AA guns back even if it cost them for repairs. We are in the process of creating those new heavy turrets to replace many a standard auto turret still, and to fill in the (gaping) gaps our mounted AA guns have left us with. Along with more homing missiles and powerful snipers, those both are great for taking down flyers especially after the flyer nerf. 

If they implement the changes I've been talking up (doubtful) they can also ruin the minigun turret for good though, because if it breaks too soon, your stuck with no decent offense on a quetzal or paracer. You need to be able to kill lots of medium and small dinos with the turrets and a handfull of large dinos before your turret "overheats" or "breaks", to have it ever be worth crafting and spending those engram points. And don't forget the ammunition cost,  the minigun turret is notorious for being very hard to track and shoot targets on moving platforms, and to not shoot off 50 out of 100 rounds into everything but the target is impressive. Hats off to you if your a crackshot with that thing. Were a crackshot I should say. 

I like the simple expedient of quicker breakdown. Give it high damage and make the turret setup take like 30 seconds and you've got a good defensive weapon but not a good offensive one.

Archived