Will Spinos be the go-to mount for bosses after patch?

Migol

13 hours ago, TheKringle said:

Spinos need to be buffed by an absurd amount to match a rex for boss fights.

@Olivar HP is so freaking important for alpha bosses, no idea what you're talking about m8. Just try beta or alpha ragnarok boss areana with anything less than 30k Hp on your rexes.

Already alpha ascended and have bosses on farm. Never had issues thank you. Got everything unlocked. So yeah. Pretty sure I know what I'm doing.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Olivar said:

Already alpha ascended and have bosses on farm. Never had issues thank you. Got everything unlocked. So yeah. Pretty sure I know what I'm doing.

You are using OP theries for your boss fights. Theries you only want to have 21k hp and best possible saddle. Rex need more HP.

But anyway, i don't know why anyone is still using rexes for boss fights. Thery is crazy OP. A few days ago i did alpha broodmother with unmutated theries. Beta Ragnarok arena is also not a problem with unmutated theries, they heal much quicker than they take damage if you got a good saddle BP. Only problem is manticore not landing often enough, or not staying on the ground. So for alpha i wait for some damage mutations.

On 30/01/2018 at 3:32 AM, Lockjaw said:

Rexes have better health, but I'm not entirely convinced that that will translate into doing his own job better after Spino gets buffed. We'll just need to wait and see before we can say for sure. Even without his water buff the Spino will be both stronger and faster on land than he is now (not at the same time of course), and the water buff can be taken into a land fight on top of his already buffed damage. And he has no need to even be *almost* as good as the Rex at the Rex's job because he already has a massive advantage in just being semi-aquatic... even if Spino fans don't want to admit it. He has access the the high-end underwater loot which you typically can't get to with a Rex. I wouldn't have said anything if Rex had likewise been getting buffs to make him perform better in his niche, but he's not. In my opinion the current Spino is already balanced pretty well against Rex.

On a side note, it's not often talked about but Spino shouldn't be as strong as Megalodon either.

Agree 100% the rex isn't receiving the same type of upgrade that the spino is which really sucks..

The rex feels very basic and has no real quality features except good hp

Spinos cannot match rexes in health. Not even close.  Spino base health is 700 (pitiful) while a rex's is 1100. That's less than 64% of a rex' s health. And the gap only widens as it is leveled because health gains are based on percentage health. So a spino would have to dump large amounts of its levels in health just to survive, and heave little to no points in melee. Unless they get improved base health, i don't see it as viable.

ETA note that other "boss fighting alternatives" have better base health than a spino. Theris have 870 base hp

6 hours ago, Thorium said:

You are using OP theries for your boss fights. Theries you only want to have 21k hp and best possible saddle. Rex need more HP.

But anyway, i don't know why anyone is still using rexes for boss fights. Thery is crazy OP. A few days ago i did alpha broodmother with unmutated theries. Beta Ragnarok arena is also not a problem with unmutated theries, they heal much quicker than they take damage if you got a good saddle BP. Only problem is manticore not landing often enough, or not staying on the ground. So for alpha i wait for some damage mutations.

Exactly. And I've been running test with using just 20 ranfom tamed ones as well. These things are insanely powerful. The overpowered ones make it a joke, but it can be done with weaker ones.

On 1/29/2018 at 10:23 PM, Olivar said:

Interesting how people make health the main issue for bosses when health is actually not that important compared to good saddles and damage output.

Will they replace the rex? Probably not.

Will they become a new viable alternative? Maybe.

The increased damage on the spino will be nice for boss fights making them more useful, but that requires more than just the damage boost.

Spinos still move sluggish and their turning radius is horrible. Without good saddles they are also pretty useless. Still haven't seen good spino saddles drop the, compared to the rex and theri saddles I have. Which means they take a lot more damage making them still too squishy overall.

So yay new damage, but as dedicated boss fighter? I have my doubts

My best spino saddle BP is a MC with 77 armor so far

31 minutes ago, RexManRex said:

I think the novelty will wear off not to mention it won't effect players or dinos with high fortitude... 

The novelty has already worn out for me (or rather I never saw the point) and the update isnt even out yet.... Seems more of a joke mechanic than a decent utility if you ask me. All these other creatures are getting amazing new utilities and mechanics, and the rex gets to make things poop ? 

im a huge spino fan :) i guess that is one of my fav dinos on game so im so exited with the TLC, i have a very good spinos, i put all the levels in hp in a few that i breed 100% imprint and i raise 40K HP and 538% melee and i take 1 or 2 to alpha monky and alpha spider but im agree that without the rexes they will die, im preparing like 18 spinos with same stats but i dont know if they gonna make it.

For other uses i do  a the water caves with a friend he use tuso to kill cndria and i use a spino Easy caves :)

On 1/29/2018 at 11:11 AM, banggugyangu said:

If the devs would take a creative pass at a redesign of the boss fights, they could make interesting mechanics that allow for various strategies and promote gameplay that ISN'T the "THROW MORE ZERGLINGS AT IT!" strategy.

Starcraft for life... but that's my strategy and it WORKS!

im a huge spino fan [emoji4] i guess that is one of my fav dinos on game so im so exited with the TLC, i have a very good spinos, i put all the levels in hp in a few that i breed 100% imprint and i raise 40K HP and 538% melee and i take 1 or 2 to alpha monky and alpha spider but im agree that without the rexes they will die, im preparing like 18 spinos with same stats but i dont know if they gonna make it.

For other uses i do  a the water caves with a friend he use tuso to kill cndria and i use a spino Easy caves [emoji4]
Is that on offical/legacy/unofficial/single player? I too favor the spino over the Rex and very happy to hear it's getting a upgrade! The highest spinos I currently have are like 6k HP and 375ish melee with imprint. Offical pve Xbox.

6 hours ago, AngrySaltire said:

The novelty has already worn out for me (or rather I never saw the point) and the update isnt even out yet.... Seems more of a joke mechanic than a decent utility if you ask me. All these other creatures are getting amazing new utilities and mechanics, and the rex gets to make things poop ? 

Yeah me too, I immediately saw it as a gimmicky feature. I hope they at least update the noise of the roar as the old one was far more epic in my

opinion.

On 1/30/2018 at 11:28 AM, TheKringle said:

HP is so freaking important for alpha bosses, no idea what you're talking about m8. Just try beta or alpha ragnarok boss areana with anything less than 30k Hp on your rexes.

I've beaten the rag bosses on alpha with rexes at 20 to 25K HP I usually bring 2-3 daeodons and use yuty roar to boost their damage which the highest was about 3.5K% i only lost 2 rexes out of 10 and they were the lowest health at 17K.

2 minutes ago, RAYGUNcam said:

I've beaten the rag bosses on alpha with rexes at 20 to 25K HP I usually bring 2-3 daeodons and use yuty roar to boost their damage which the highest was about 3.5K% i only lost 2 rexes out of 10 and they were the lowest health at 17K.

yea bit of exaggeration on my part with the 30k. But my point still stands, HP is important,  as the rexes you lost were in fact the lowest HP ones. Especially on the rag arena where you lose 60 - 80% of your health off the bat to dragon breathe.

3 minutes ago, TheKringle said:

yea bit of exaggeration on my part with the 30k. But my point still stands, HP is important,  as the rexes you lost were in fact the lowest HP ones. Especially on the rag arena where you lose 60 - 80% of your health off the bat to dragon breathe.

The dragon breath does insane damage I agree but I do bring Wyvern milk to negate the effects and bringing some medical brews for if I do take too much damage.

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 7:10 AM, AngrySaltire said:

When I first read it though I did have this thought. If it works both ways and tamed Rexs can make wilds poop that's a lot more oppurtunities to have fertilizer for crops. As small as that is at least it's something, at least if it does work like that on wilds too.

1 hour ago, ChargingParacerParacer said:

When I first read it though I did have this thought. If it works both ways and tamed Rexs can make wilds poop that's a lot more oppurtunities to have fertilizer for crops. As small as that is at least it's something, at least if it does work like that on wilds too.

Would rather the rex just got the updated model and improvement to walking over terrain and that was it. Increase in making things poop is pretty much made redundant by having a phioma which is much better way of makong fertiliser. 

On 1/31/2018 at 10:36 PM, Lockjaw said:

I haven't tried them yet myself to verify it, but I actually suspected as much just from reading other people's experiences on the forum. I think it's just a matter of time before they become the new meta.

why r they becoming the new meta? nothing changed, they have less hp and about the same dps as rexes. WHY?!

Archived