Community Crunch 116: Dino TLC, Upcoming Patch Notes, Steam Humble Sale & More

Jatheish

6 hours ago, Moon78 said:

What about hybrid animals through breeding, would be a better use for cloning chamber which is just junk.

Not to be "that guy" but cloning is a much simpler (not to mention vastly different) procedure than gene splicing.  Cloning is making an exact copy, gene splicing is introducing completely new characteristics through altering a creatures DNA.

In game terms it would also be a hugely more involved procedure to allow hybrid creature creation, requiring a vast number of somehow interchangeable art assets to be created.  This doesn't touch on the equally complicated issues of game balance and abilities (among other things) for the newly created creatures.  This sounds more like a central focus the game would need to be designed around from the ground up instead of something to incorporate into an update.

Edited by Ranger1

2 hours ago, Vladd said:

I really wish you would drop this, but here we go again.

I'm not devaluing your opinion. I'm criticising your way of providing feedback as you claim that the new model looks "old" and "horrendous" to the developers, which hardly helps them at all, you should give a more logical and well thought out insight to your point and then I might have taken it more seriously. 

To be quite honest with you, I do not care about your personal experience with vultures. Because quite obviously, the vultures you have encountered, are not Argentavis, which were probably 4x your size and incredibly intimidating. Also Vultures (very dependant on the type) such Black Vultures which are the largest of all vultures, are very dangerous and aggressive when scavenging, and will attack pretty much anything that tries to stop them from eating dead carrion.

allyson-600x450.thumb.jpg.56b0e55e83365b7ad1c59e5c2fab1632.jpg

This black vulture, I think, looks very cool and I would fear this more than the world's largest eagle, the Philippine Eagle:

05_Eagle-6.thumb.jpg.a09fe268fbcae0767a01a678b2769eb1.jpg

Not because I think the Vulture is probably more dangerous than the Eagle, to be honest with you the Eagle probably has more muscle behind it and power, but that isn't what the Argentavis is, it is a Vulture (well not really they were Teratorns but basically a vulture) and thus should look like one. A colossally sized vulture, that would make me quite afraid of it. It's like making the Carnotaurus look like a Utahraptor for the sake of "oh but it looks more intimidating so who cares what appearance of species it takes on" right? That would be ridiculous. 

Drop what, defending my opinion? Is it not worth stating to you? I don’t see why it’s okay to attack my feedback and opinions then demand that I drop it.

I have given much feedback that is logical and well thought you just skimmed what I was typing and didn’t waste time reading it, so let me quote it all for you so you can attempt to read it this time.

just because it IS a vulture doesn’t mean it couldn’t have looked different that long ago. The bone structure could be similar but the skin and feathers could have been less aged.”

they already have a vulture in the game and so the Argent appears to not be the correct ancestor to the modern day vulture and that makes it looking the same feel out of place.”

they aren’t even strong as they have weak legs and blunt talons so they definitely wouldn’t even be able to carry anything, especially not three creatures”

”Making it able to carry creatures almost its size in its talons is also inaccurate to a vulture as they have weak talons and do not carry prey.”

So as it is now is inaccurate and unrealistic.”

But if you had been reading again you would know I said I wanted an actual eagle, not for them to change a vulture into an eagle. 

And if you don’t care about my personal experience with vultures then don’t bring up tv clips of people’s reactions to vultures as “proof”. What makes it look intimidating is that it appears grotesque, but intimidation is an opinion. For example I believe it just looks like a flying turkey. The only thing that counts here is realism and there already is a vulture in the game which makes it very unrealistic and out of place.

Depabting this with you is a waste of oxygen though as will continue to make excuses and attack any opinion or fact that you don’t agree with.

- TEK Tapejara no longer inflicts raid damage (how you inflict torpor on titan, krab, and golem)

Could you at least make this a server setting?
This is basically the only role the tapejara has on PVE, and if someone invests in its saddle and the elements then I think it's fair use.

Also some other suggestions/improvements for TEK on PVE, like the shield and sword.
Make the shield reflect damage back when blocking PVE creatures, or not drain it's durability but rather element when blocking.
Or make a small shield sphere like the shield generator that one or two allies could stand in, drain 1% element per second or something while it was up. Not being able to move while it's active.

As for the sword, it's damage is super weak compared to the normal metal version considering ascendant versions are easier to get compared to the tek version. The charge isn't enough, since you'll most likely have the TEK gloves anyways for such mobility.
So improve the damage when using element, or add a stun function or a burn dot to it's attacks.

Right now I feel that a lot of TEK is aimed squarely towards PVP that it's completely useless for PVE players.

Edited by Gelantious

So I like many are hyped for the TLC. I wanted to ask if I may, while many are recieving upgrades, are the baby dinos getting updated looks as well? What I mean by that is I think it would be better if they had a fresh new look vs looking like their adult counterparts only a fraction of the size. I think it would be cooler to have like the baby rex to have a slimmer face, body etc, the mammoth having tiny tusk knubs, the baby pterasaurs having little tiny beaks and headcrests etc. I was just wondering what the plans for the babies are.

Also I love the new Spino! It looks amazing!
May I suggest that the spino recives a new roar as well? It's roar is so weak compared to the Rex, Yuty and Giga. It definitely needs an upgrade in that part. Also I think it would be cool if the rex, yuty spino and giga's roar animations could ignore thier legs so that they can roar while walking and running. I think it would be awesome to roar while chasing down prey. Also having wild tyrants roar at you and their prey would also be a nice touch to add in the game especially when it spots you 

All this is pretty cool except for the silencer bs , the only ones who will enjoy that crap are aimbotters, you know that group of players you do very little about, everything else would be better if it wasn’t for the turret nerf, you will make it impossible to enjoy these new features because we won’t be able to even defend ourselves or even these dinos. 

On 27/01/2018 at 7:38 AM, Monkeypuzzle said:

I feel like the devs missed a real opportunity by not awarding @captainfatdog the ARKitect prize. He offers real innovation to the difficult ARK building system that is available to regular players. Offering new techniques to exceed the limits of vanilla ARKitecture is much more prize worthy, in my opinion, than continuing the tradition here of rewarding massive cheat builds.

cheat builds? so you still play official servers then with regular stats? no taming boosts gathering boosts? give me a break you could have certainly put ya pennies worth ( i agree captain fatdogs build is totaly worthy of first place) in without calling out other peoples great work? so what if they are using admin commands! a large group of people play on their single player and love to build using admin, its not cheating its for people that might not have the time to always do everything official captain fatdog is great but he does and has used admin codes before also and pretty sure you use a bunch of mods to make your life easier on your servers no? how something gets built isnt important its what the finished project turns out that is imo and teh comm crunch is meant to highlight all great builds official or not! 

4 hours ago, TemperanceXIV said:

Drop what, defending my opinion? Is it not worth stating to you? I don’t see why it’s okay to attack my feedback and opinions then demand that I drop it.

I have given much feedback that is logical and well thought you just skimmed what I was typing and didn’t waste time reading it, so let me quote it all for you so you can attempt to read it this time.

just because it IS a vulture doesn’t mean it couldn’t have looked different that long ago. The bone structure could be similar but the skin and feathers could have been less aged.”

they already have a vulture in the game and so the Argent appears to not be the correct ancestor to the modern day vulture and that makes it looking the same feel out of place.”

they aren’t even strong as they have weak legs and blunt talons so they definitely wouldn’t even be able to carry anything, especially not three creatures”

”Making it able to carry creatures almost its size in its talons is also inaccurate to a vulture as they have weak talons and do not carry prey.”

So as it is now is inaccurate and unrealistic.”

But if you had been reading again you would know I said I wanted an actual eagle, not for them to change a vulture into an eagle. 

And if you don’t care about my personal experience with vultures then don’t bring up tv clips of people’s reactions to vultures as “proof”. What makes it look intimidating is that it appears grotesque, but intimidation is an opinion. For example I believe it just looks like a flying turkey. The only thing that counts here is realism and there already is a vulture in the game which makes it very unrealistic and out of place.

Depabting this with you is a waste of oxygen though as will continue to make excuses and attack any opinion or fact that you don’t agree with.

Firstly, I never skimmed what you were typing. I read the whole thing, hence why I responded to it in full depth. I don't half ass my responses.

I like how you quoted pretty much everything out of the original context so it seems like you were providing some general honest feedback, for a perfect example, your first... 'feedback', we'll call it: 

"Can we get an actual eagle without making it molting. Glad I ditched him for the Griffin, was about to start missing him then I saw that mug never looking back now."

You called the new model a mug and said it looked like it was moulting? You even just talked about 'ditching' your Argy because it is getting remodelled. All this shows is that you seem a bit salty about the change, and aren't even providing any proper input that would actually be useful to the developers. 

"But if you had been reading again you would know I said I wanted an actual eagle, not for them to change a vulture into an eagle." Where did this idea come from? In none of your comments did you ever imply you wanted an entirely new animal that was a type of Eagle opposed to the Argentavis. You were originally saying that you wanted the Argentavis to represent that of an Eagle and now that this is changing you aren't happy about it. Where on earth did this statement come from?

"The only thing that counts here is realism and there already is a vulture in the game which makes it very unrealistic and out of place." What? Scorched Earth and Ragnarok having a vulture makes the fact the Argentavis looking like a vulture unrealistic? What are you on about? That's like saying the Diplodocus is unrealistic because the game already has another Sauropod (the Brontosaurus).

"Debating this with you is a waste of oxygen", it's only a waste because what your saying barely makes sense :(

instead of having the gigantopithecus throw shoulder mounts, (as fun as throwing aggresive microraptors at passing enemies would be), couldnt we allow it to use a melee weapon? Specifically the lance as it would allow the lance to have some in game pvp use. just imagine a foot soldier troop of gigantos using a lance as a spear (appropriate given there size) charging in nocking people off tames and being posted up as awesome base gaurds.

18 minutes ago, voldrafix said:

instead of having the gigantopithecus throw shoulder mounts, (as fun as throwing aggresive microraptors at passing enemies would be), couldnt we allow it to use a melee weapon? Specifically the lance as it would allow the lance to have some in game pvp use. just imagine a foot soldier troop of gigantos using a lance as a spear (appropriate given there size) charging in nocking people off tames and being posted up as awesome base gaurds.

to be frank, I wished that is also on the list as well. Mantis can wield tools and weapons, why not Gigantopithecus? I won't mind if they can't use chainsaw, but come on. I highly doubt that is gonna break the game unless someone got lucky with Asc. weapons.

1 minute ago, Vaculity said:

to be frank, I wished that is also on the list as well. Mantis can wield tools and weapons, why not Gigantopithecus? I won't mind if they can't use chainsaw, but come on. I highly doubt that is gonna break the game unless someone got lucky with Asc. weapons.

i think the fear stems from gigantopithecus already being capable of high dps of 3000 dps when bred and at 400 melee with 100% imprint. however they do have low health. My suggestion for the lance only over all tools is because it could be argued that a gigantos hands would be to large for the handles of human weapons but then again a mantis has no opposible thumbs lol. however there are Asc. lances out there and why not give people who pull those drops a reason to use them. 

2 hours ago, Vladd said:

Firstly, I never skimmed what you were typing. I read the whole thing, hence why I responded to it in full depth. I don't half ass my responses.

I like how you quoted pretty much everything out of the original context so it seems like you were providing some general honest feedback, for a perfect example, your first... 'feedback', we'll call it: 

"Can we get an actual eagle without making it molting. Glad I ditched him for the Griffin, was about to start missing him then I saw that mug never looking back now."

You called the new model a mug and said it looked like it was moulting? You even just talked about 'ditching' your Argy because it is getting remodelled. All this shows is that you seem a bit salty about the change, and aren't even providing any proper input that would actually be useful to the developers. 

"But if you had been reading again you would know I said I wanted an actual eagle, not for them to change a vulture into an eagle." Where did this idea come from? In none of your comments did you ever imply you wanted an entirely new animal that was a type of Eagle opposed to the Argentavis. You were originally saying that you wanted the Argentavis to represent that of an Eagle and now that this is changing you aren't happy about it. Where on earth did this statement come from?

"The only thing that counts here is realism and there already is a vulture in the game which makes it very unrealistic and out of place." What? Scorched Earth and Ragnarok having a vulture makes the fact the Argentavis looking like a vulture unrealistic? What are you on about? That's like saying the Diplodocus is unrealistic because the game already has another Sauropod (the Brontosaurus).

"Debating this with you is a waste of oxygen", it's only a waste because what your saying barely makes sense :(

I said I have given feedback, and quoted what feedback was given. There is literally no way to take that out of context, I think you should go check that up in the dictionary. If you can’t understand where half my words are coming from then clearly you are skimming. And just so you are aware a mug is a face, and molting is what happens when I bird loses its feathers. Hence a vultures face looks like it’s loosing feathers.

But perhaps you should go re-read with a dictionary instead of trying to dispute my opinion. 

Megalodon and Titanoboa needs some TLC... Idk about any mechanics but the Models are waaay weird... First off Titanoboa doesn't have Frills on the sides of its head and they need to be bigger... As for the Megalodon, it looks way derpy and needs to be bigger and longer. Maybe have a thrash mechanic or a Blood drive mechanic. But I love this TLC so far its amazing!!!

Not a fan of the argy changes. They were already OP in terms of carryables and carry weight. Slowing them down as part of the flyer nerf is what makes them boring and blah, not a lack of utility. And if you want to smithy with an argent, all you have to do is carry a thatch platform and a smithy. 

I think all you need to make the argy fun again is add the griffin's swoop mechanic. That alone makes aerial combat fun, and the argy's stamina would make it an effective repeat attacker. Whereas the griffin hits hard but runs out of stam fast and is squishy, the argy could stay in the fight longer, albeit doing less damage per hit and not having the same kind of escape speed. 

As far as the new look of the Argentavis, here is something you should consider folks.  Much has been said about their look turning more towards that of a vulture, which has put some people a bit up in arms.

While there is some truth in this, it would likely be more accurate to say that the new Argy model is much more in line with the look of the modern Condor.

If memory serves the Condor is in the family of new world vultures (and is primarily a carrion eater), and yet is still considered a bird that is not to be trifled with.  Vultures may have the common image of being weak and cowardly, however this is not a mistake that most people make when they see a Condor.

ARKs version of the Argentavis is likely intended to be a something of a common ancestor between new world vultures ( family Cathartidae ) and old world vultures (family Accipitridae which also includes eagles, hawks, and kites).  A carrion eater that is also fully capable of engaging live prey with strong claw and beak and dropping attacks.

So whether you're a fan of the new look or not, where the Argy (or the Condor) is concerned I think you'll find that to plenty of folks that "bald is beautiful, baby"... in it's own special way. 

image.png

Oh my goodness, the new Argentavis looks amazing, it's definitely my new favorite flyer! It looks so much more like a vulture now! And I love the new saddle ability! The fact that the Spinosaurus can walk bipedally now is awesome as well!!! I do still really wish that all of the carry-able animals like the Dodo would get a petting option once tamed, it would make it so much more interactive. But everything looks great Studio Wildcard, thank you!!!