Community Crunch 116: Dino TLC, Upcoming Patch Notes, Steam Humble Sale & More

Jatheish

2 hours ago, Vladd said:

Not at all, you're being close minded about the entire idea of the model. The new model, is factually: higher quality, more accurate (as a judgement of research and skeletal structure) and in my opinion, far better looking. How is it boring? It looks infinitely better and looks really cool and dangerous compared to the old goofy Argentavis that looked like some kind of non existent fat eagle that could barely lift off the ground. 

I agreed it had issues and the look before was too hefty, but at least it was different. I think it looks boring because they already have a vulture in the game and so the Argent appears to not be the correct ancestor to the modern day vulture and that makes it looking the same feel out of place. I don’t find it more threatening nor cool, in fact it seems less threatening as it looks old and frail. Besides a typical modern day vulture is not threatening as they only attack the sick or wounded and feast on already dead creatures instead of being a “dangerous” carnivore. In fact they aren’t even strong as they have weak legs and blunt talons so they definitely wouldn’t even be able to carry anything, especially not three creatures. That doesn’t sound so bad ass to me. It’s also not closed minded of me to state my opinion just as it is not close minded of you to state yours. Though what I do find interesting is how you question and belittle my opinion as if it’s incorrect for me to disagree.

But I guess if you had read my original message I asked if we could get an actual eagle since they changed the Argent and followed that with my opinion on its wretched face not that I wanted them to change it back.

Edited by TemperanceXIV

20 minutes ago, TemperanceXIV said:

-my original message I asked if we could get an actual eagle since they changed the Argent and followed that with my opinion on its wretched face not that I wanted them to change it back.

There actually is another large bird that could fill the "actually an eagle and not a giant vulture" niche: Haast's Eagle. True, it wasn't nearly as large as Argentavis was, but ARK deviates with the sizes anyway. If they do make Haast's Eagle, I do hope they make a fully new model instead of using the old Argy one. To me, the old Argy model looks... silly. Like it's a weird, feathered cube with wings and head sticking out. I much prefer the new model, but then again I'm also upset about the "new" Spino model so... Each to their own.

Edited by Ihmislehma

1 hour ago, TemperanceXIV said:

I agreed it had issues and the look before was too hefty, but at least it was different. I think it looks boring because they already have a vulture in the game and so the Argent appears to not be the correct ancestor to the modern day vulture and that makes it looking the same feel out of place. I don’t find it more threatening nor cool, in fact it seems less threatening as it looks old and frail. Besides a typical modern day vulture is not threatening as they only attack the sick or wounded and feast on already dead creatures instead of being a “dangerous” carnivore. In fact they aren’t even strong as they have weak legs and blunt talons so they definitely wouldn’t even be able to carry anything, especially not three creatures. That doesn’t sound so bad ass to me. It’s also not closed minded of me to state my opinion just as it is not close minded of you to state yours. Though what I do find interesting is how you question and belittle my opinion as if it’s incorrect for me to disagree.

But I guess if you had read my original message I asked if we could get an actual eagle since they changed the Argent and followed that with my opinion on its wretched face not that I wanted them to change it back.

I'm not trying to devalue your opinion, but rather emphasise the fact you said "but at least it wasn’t as horrendous (the new argy model) as it is now", I was trying to say, the new Argy model is not bad, and you are spreading your word like fact that the new Argy model does not look good. All I'm trying to tell you is, the new Argy model looks good, and is good, it's perfectly fine to say you'd rather there was a design change, and that in your opinion it should have a few alterations to make it more broad and intimidating, but saying your word like law is never a good way to spread an idea, especially to developers who need useful input in order to improve content effectively. Can I just say by the way, "Besides a typical modern day vulture is not threatening", 1. Your wrong about that, 2. Have you ever encountered Argentavis before? I imagine it would be horrifying. 

Even then, despite the Argentavis not being a modern vulture defying your point in the first place, can I just say that at 2:23 

in this video they are terrified of the Vulture, and this thing is tiny compared to an Argentavis! Just because an animal is a scavenger, doesn't remove the fact that it can be intimidating. 

51 minutes ago, Vladd said:

I'm not trying to devalue your opinion, but rather emphasise the fact you said "but at least it wasn’t as horrendous (the new argy model) as it is now", I was trying to say, the new Argy model is not bad, and you are spreading your word like fact that the new Argy model does not look good. All I'm trying to tell you is, the new Argy model looks good, and is good, it's perfectly fine to say you'd rather there was a design change, and that in your opinion it should have a few alterations to make it more broad and intimidating, but saying your word like law is never a good way to spread an idea, especially to developers who need useful input in order to improve content effectively. Can I just say by the way, "Besides a typical modern day vulture is not threatening", 1. Your wrong about that, 2. Have you ever encountered Argentavis before? I imagine it would be horrifying. 

Even then, despite the Argentavis not being a modern vulture defying your point in the first place, can I just say that at 2:23 

in this video they are terrified of the Vulture, and this thing is tiny compared to an Argentavis! Just because an animal is a scavenger, doesn't remove the fact that it can be intimidating. 

Respect ^^

Hey Wilcard (jeremy), can you please show some TLC to the oviraptor? cuz no none uses it... which is a shame as there could be som really useful stuff that could be changed to improve it. 

Re model it from this:oviraptor.png

To this:

Desert dancer

(yeah there is a different name there just forget it was there)

So make it so it can jump and seal anything (especially eggs) like the pegomastax, that way the pego won't need it (cut that from the pego please) and give it to the oviraptor along with some feathers like in the picture.

17 hours ago, Trollphan said:

Loving the new models, they look absolutely beutiful. However, there's one thing that's missing on the Argie that would be essential for the original look. The Crownfeathers that it had on the very first model, and in the depiction of the dossier, kinda faded away when they added more feathers to the model a while back. Just look at the picture, doesn't those feathers just scream the name Argentavis?

32d8d12ec1aa909427a79ebba6ebbbfe.png

Now that you sir have me wondering...

What is going to happen to the dossiers!? are they gonna have a remake as well? will they feature slightly different changes? will they stay the same!!??

PLEASE TELL US JEREMY!!!... er, WILDCARD!

On 1/27/2018 at 2:38 AM, Monkeypuzzle said:

I feel like the devs missed a real opportunity by not awarding @captainfatdog the ARKitect prize. He offers real innovation to the difficult ARK building system that is available to regular players. Offering new techniques to exceed the limits of vanilla ARKitecture is much more prize worthy, in my opinion, than continuing the tradition here of rewarding massive cheat builds.

I agree with you 100% that @captainfatdog deserves to have the first place win! I spoke to him right after they anouced the winners and could not believe it. Good on you for pointing it it out!! Congrats Fatdog!! That build is amazing!!  I do want you o point of my builds are massive but as for cheating i play on vanilla also

- Silencer now hides the name of the player who has killed you from the kill message and tribe log

Are you dumb or what? It's about the only way we can try to prove someone is cheating, so from now on anyone using an aimbot just have to put on a silencer and he can go for ever in peace...
Great thinking again before you add stupid features in the game....
What about you fix all exploits before you add stupid poop like roar pooping mechanics?

Nah let the hackers win and lets make everyone poop for ever.

Argent and spino model look good, as do the rest. I feel like the rex's roar causing dinos to poop is a dumb idea though if I'm honest, seems very gimmicky.              Happy to hear that it will be able to manoveur around terrain easier.                                                                                                                                                                              I understand the rex is used in boss battles but it needs some kind of ability or dmg buff to make it more of a threat in pvp, it's a t rex for crying out loud why does a dire bear have higher base dmg, I should feel equivalent fear seeing a rex, spino or giga ingame as they were all apex predators.                                                          Wolves are getting some sweet features that I'm excited for as well as the gigantopithicus.  Please make it so my wyvern can actually defend me if left on neutral, AI for wyverns is terrible as is the landing mechanics. 

I dont know what all has been changed, but it seems you cannot cross jump your tames anymore on all servers one of the best things this game had going for itself. If so please add this back in or maybe have servers that alow this with all maps. I went to my single maps and my Wyverns Griffons n such where gone and i could not spawn or transfer my Ravager. Soo i rocketed all my bases deleted all my files. Please fix this and Leeds aggressiveness. Any thoughts?

16 hours ago, Jatheish said:

It looks like the wrong image was uploaded, we'll correct that. The Humble sale was initially meant to be at 60% but because it was an encore, we weren't able to go above the initial amount (basically they were the other way around). Thanks for pointing it out.

You guys are absolutely correct, we somehow overlooked this when going through the candidates. @captainfatdog's build is exceptionally done, even more so impressive when considering it was done on an Official Console server. We'll be including them as a winner tied for first place :)

There's a lot of feedback in here about the upcoming patch notes and the TLC changes. We appreciate it and keep it coming. We'll be discussing the points you've raised internally and of course make any adjustments we feel are necessary. Just as a note, some things that have been mentioned elsewhere I'll share em here for visibility too:

- Turrets now respect enemy foundation placement rules, and there is a 30-second spin-up time when being powered by a battery. (we forgot to include this note)

We had actually brought it down from 33% to 20% at some point, and decide to reduce the direct damage instead as it was pretty high (180 at the time). <-- in regards to the Dragon's direct-damage nerf vs not doing a DoT change.

and some more insight into the creative mode: the basic idea is that for the first pass it'll disable all crafting requirements, unlock all engrams, and remove weight limits. 

When you say crafting requirements, do you mean no resources are needed? That would be excellent. Also, would it be possible to enable creative mode without starting a new save/server, or enable it so only the admin has this mode? 

Thanks

On 1/27/2018 at 11:17 AM, WhiteWalker98 said:

Me and my tribe were thinking to make people use the argy more in pvp id add a dive like the griffin as it is a vulture type of bird so i think a dive would make sense plus it would make argys habe a comeback to the current pvp meta

That suggestion is in the TLC pass suggestions. Add your support there :) 

10 hours ago, Vladd said:

You are not trying to devalue my opinion but “it looks good, and is good” then continue to try and devalue my opinion?

I said it was my opinion and my opinion is not “law” as I don’t care if you agree with me though you seem to have a big problem with me not sharing your opinion. Are we sure it’s not your opinion that is “law”? 

My problem with it was never that it needed to be more “broad or intimidating” it’s that a vulture is weak and looks unappealing to me. Making it able to carry creatures almost its size in its talons is also inaccurate to a vulture as they have weak talons and do not carry prey. So as it is now is inaccurate and unrealistic.

A modern day vulture is not threatening as I live in an area where they aren’t uncommon, I have seen them before and have never once been afraid of them. They are not threatening nor intimidating. They are only scavengers, they do not hunt, they do not attack. They only look for dead creatures. An Argent wouldn’t be any different, even it’s AI is set up to look for bodies mostly. 

So no I wouldn’t find an over sized vulture any more threatening because it’s not like it would try to or even be able to carry a human.

Edited by TemperanceXIV

5 hours ago, RexManRex said:

Argent and spino model look good, as do the rest. I feel like the rex's roar causing dinos to poop is a dumb idea though if I'm honest, seems very gimmicky.              Happy to hear that it will be able to manoveur around terrain easier.                                                                                                                                                                              I understand the rex is used in boss battles but it needs some kind of ability or dmg buff to make it more of a threat in pvp, it's a t rex for crying out loud why does a dire bear have higher base dmg, I should feel equivalent fear seeing a rex, spino or giga ingame as they were all apex predators.                                                          Wolves are getting some sweet features that I'm excited for as well as the gigantopithicus.  Please make it so my wyvern can actually defend me if left on neutral, AI for wyverns is terrible as is the landing mechanics. 

heh my PvE server config starts at wild damage x2, and both wild/tame creatures with legendarily powerful bites get 1.5x more via the individual dino damage option. The game feels way more threatening like this. You don't treat rexes or megalodons casually with this build, no sir.  (This also puts wilds at about the same melee as a fresh tame from that-level wild. So it's a pretty even fight until you level/saddle the tame, and that also feels well balanced.)

2 hours ago, TemperanceXIV said:

You are not trying to devalue my opinion but “it looks good, and is good” then continue to try and devalue my opinion?

I said it was my opinion and my opinion is not “law” as I don’t care if you agree with me though you seem to have a big problem with me not sharing your opinion. Are we sure it’s not your opinion that is “law”? 

My problem with it was never that it needed to be more “broad or intimidating” it’s that a vulture is weak and looks unappealing to me. Making it able to carry creatures almost its size in its talons is also inaccurate to a vulture as they have weak talons and do not carry prey. So as it is now is inaccurate and unrealistic.

A modern day vulture is not threatening as I live in an area where they aren’t uncommon, I have seen them before and have never once been afraid of them. They are not threatening nor intimidating. They are only scavengers, they do not hunt, they do not attack. They only look for dead creatures. An Argent wouldn’t be any different, even it’s AI is set up to look for bodies mostly. 

So no I wouldn’t find an over sized vulture any more threatening because it’s not like it would try to or even be able to carry a human.

I really wish you would drop this, but here we go again.

I'm not devaluing your opinion. I'm criticising your way of providing feedback as you claim that the new model looks "old" and "horrendous" to the developers, which hardly helps them at all, you should give a more logical and well thought out insight to your point and then I might have taken it more seriously. 

To be quite honest with you, I do not care about your personal experience with vultures. Because quite obviously, the vultures you have encountered, are not Argentavis, which were probably 4x your size and incredibly intimidating. Also Vultures (very dependant on the type) such Black Vultures which are the largest of all vultures, are very dangerous and aggressive when scavenging, and will attack pretty much anything that tries to stop them from eating dead carrion.

allyson-600x450.thumb.jpg.56b0e55e83365b7ad1c59e5c2fab1632.jpg

This black vulture, I think, looks very cool and I would fear this more than the world's largest eagle, the Philippine Eagle:

05_Eagle-6.thumb.jpg.a09fe268fbcae0767a01a678b2769eb1.jpg

Not because I think the Vulture is probably more dangerous than the Eagle, to be honest with you the Eagle probably has more muscle behind it and power, but that isn't what the Argentavis is, it is a Vulture (well not really they were Teratorns but basically a vulture) and thus should look like one. A colossally sized vulture, that would make me quite afraid of it. It's like making the Carnotaurus look like a Utahraptor for the sake of "oh but it looks more intimidating so who cares what appearance of species it takes on" right? That would be ridiculous. 

21 minutes ago, DavidButkett said:

Is there anything you can tell is about s+ coming to console? (Possible release date, any features that will/will not be included)

While I'm not a Dev, I think you can expect they won't be bringing in the transfer gun, or demo gun, or any of those tools and likely not potentially OP things like Nanny's either.

Edited by Vladd