Community Crunch 116: Dino TLC, Upcoming Patch Notes, Steam Humble Sale & More

Jatheish

So... Spino can now come out of the river, shred anything Rex level or lower with his two-legged damage + water buff. Then head into the boss arena and be at least comparable to the Rex with his superior standing damage. Then come out, get down on all fours and run at high speeds to the ocean where he again uses his water buff to shred mosas while collecting prime fish, black pearls, underwater loot crates, ect...

Meanwhile nothing can take Rex's relevance away because you can get some giggles in by making people poop. Ark balance. Gotta love it. Anyway I will say that as salty as I am about the lack of love that Rex gets in this game I am genuinely happy for Spino enthusiasts. At least they'll have a great dino when it's all said and done.

These models look great!

but one note about the spino , where is the big claw on his front arms?

oh btw. Plz just plz Make a new model for the Pachy ( Make it bigger ) and let it have Some better stats ....

and the pachyrhino as well , it just looks soo stiff When running and the head doesnt look like a pachyrhino at all!

That was it keep up the good work Guys i really see Some improvements!

looking at the irl spino i think they did a good job. I have just a few nit picky things. 1st Make the spinos mouth a bit thinner and longer like the baryonyx so i looks more realistic. 2nd The spine should be more squared with a little curve in the middle like the bones in real spinos suggest. 3rd make it walk on its knuckles when walking quadrupedal, it just make it more realistic. 4th Make the tail more crocodile like with a tail wip. Other than that i would say my favorite dino (spino) got a amazing improvement. Also the mammoth needs a remodel and a platform sadle. P.S. i inserted a photo of the spine and what it should look like. Ill be happy with what ever

ark complaints.png

Edited by ObsidianSlayerX

Loved the new Argie, looks much better with its bigger yes and more appropriate beak. The overall body also has been graced by superior model. Can´t wait to see it.

I do like the current Spinosaur, and I am thankful that visually it has not been modified drastically. Glad the dual stance has made it. I personally didn't mind it running on all 4 legs, but I know that the JP version of it became a favorite for some, so I am happy this is working out for everyone, I get to keep it on all 4s and those that want to can have it stand on 2, everybody wins.

Cheers!

7 hours ago, Vladd said:

The Argentavis is a Vulture btw

Obviously by its dossier, but what made it likable is that it wasn’t horrendously wrinkled and bald. It looked cool and now it looks like it’s face is melting, which is just boring. Besides just because it IS a vulture doesn’t mean it couldn’t have looked different that long ago. The bone structure could be similar but the skin and feathers could have been less aged. It’s not like the Dire wolf resembles a wolf in the face shape, or the Dire bear to a regular bear. 

As a paleontology enthusiast, and a man who has spent nearly 43 days worth of time playing this game, I am beyond excited for this update - especially Phase 1, and the Argie so far.

That being said...I'm begging the Devs, could you please, please, please work a little more on the Spino model? I love that it's neither an obligate quadruped or biped, and the new texturing looks great! But Spinosaurus is a tremendously popular dinosaur, and - pardon my directness - all you've really done is spraypaint the model. I'm really surprised, seeing just how much passion and detail has been put into all the other TLC models.

The Spino is sorely in need of a massive overhaul, just as much as the Argentavis was. It needs to be thinner and sleeker, to highlight the fact that it did live much of its life in the water. At the very least, could we get the iconic M shaped sail? That would go a long way in improving its appearance.

Although I will say, I would love to see the quadrupedal stance involving some knuckle-walking. I realize there's no evidence for that, but it definitely looks much better than the pronated crawling-baby hands it has now, and would make sense in terms of keeping it's huge, long finger claws off the ground, and sharp.

I'm incredibly grateful that you're revamping any of the legacy creatures to begin with. I love ARK, and I think it deserves to look as good as it's going to once these patches are complete.

Thank you guys so much!

spinosaurus-reconstruction.jpg

Loving the new models, they look absolutely beutiful. However, there's one thing that's missing on the Argie that would be essential for the original look. The Crownfeathers that it had on the very first model, and in the depiction of the dossier, kinda faded away when they added more feathers to the model a while back. Just look at the picture, doesn't those feathers just scream the name Argentavis?

32d8d12ec1aa909427a79ebba6ebbbfe.png

i am highly excited for this Fixed multiple client/server crashes     <----  hopefully this will solve the game breaking crashing i been experinceing... and alot of this sounds good to the argent and the spino are gonna be more epic then what they already are... to bad not everything will get this sorta love but then again this wouldn't be about balenceing if that was the case i guess @w@ looking good wildcard keep it up i am excited what the sarco and the pleiso are gonna get most of all <3

2 hours ago, TemperanceXIV said:

Obviously by its dossier, but what made it likable is that it wasn’t horrendously wrinkled and bald. It looked cool and now it looks like it’s face is melting, which is just boring. Besides just because it IS a vulture doesn’t mean it couldn’t have looked different that long ago. The bone structure could be similar but the skin and feathers could have been less aged. It’s not like the Dire wolf resembles a wolf in the face shape, or the Dire bear to a regular bear. 

In my honest opinion, the current Argentavis doesn't look cool, it looks terrible. It is super low quality, the feathers on the tips of the wings are triangular due to the low quality and overall the design represents that of an Eagle rather than a Vulture. The bone structure of the Argentavis indicated it had a shorter neck (for a vulture) which would support your point, but the current Argentavis barely has one. The "face melting" as you call it is the skin that modern day vultures have, and I think it looks really cool myself. I think they should leave it how it is and I am so hyped for the remodel because honestly the Argentavis has had the same model since day one and it looked really bad.

• Administrator
8 hours ago, Oli4 said:

@@Jatheish Humble bundle only shows 40% off for me, while the image says 60% off

zaNmn.png

It looks like the wrong image was uploaded, we'll correct that. The Humble sale was initially meant to be at 60% but because it was an encore, we weren't able to go above the initial amount (basically they were the other way around). Thanks for pointing it out.

17 hours ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

I feel like the devs missed a real opportunity by not awarding @captainfatdog the ARKitect prize. He offers real innovation to the difficult ARK building system that is available to regular players. Offering new techniques to exceed the limits of vanilla ARKitecture is much more prize worthy, in my opinion, than continuing the tradition here of rewarding massive cheat builds.

You guys are absolutely correct, we somehow overlooked this when going through the candidates. @captainfatdog's build is exceptionally done, even more so impressive when considering it was done on an Official Console server. We'll be including them as a winner tied for first place :)

There's a lot of feedback in here about the upcoming patch notes and the TLC changes. We appreciate it and keep it coming. We'll be discussing the points you've raised internally and of course make any adjustments we feel are necessary. Just as a note, some things that have been mentioned elsewhere I'll share em here for visibility too:

- Turrets now respect enemy foundation placement rules, and there is a 30-second spin-up time when being powered by a battery. (we forgot to include this note)

We had actually brought it down from 33% to 20% at some point, and decide to reduce the direct damage instead as it was pretty high (180 at the time). <-- in regards to the Dragon's direct-damage nerf vs not doing a DoT change.

and some more insight into the creative mode: the basic idea is that for the first pass it'll disable all crafting requirements, unlock all engrams, and remove weight limits. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, jonin said:

I like the spino but I hate the new argy it looks awful I like the old one better then the new one.. but the new abilities it could get I like.. you should give it the griffin head.. or something like it.. more egal like. the new one looks more like a vulture..  if it was on the argy it would ruin it for me.. 

The argentavis is most closely related to the vulture, so it should look like a vulture.

1 hour ago, jonin said:

I like the spino but I hate the new argy it looks awful I like the old one better then the new one.. but the new abilities it could get I like.. you should give it the griffin head.. or something like it.. more egal like. the new one looks more like a vulture..  if it was on the argy it would ruin it for me.. 

The Argentavis is a vulture.

7 hours ago, Vladd said:

In my honest opinion, the current Argentavis doesn't look cool, it looks terrible. It is super low quality, the feathers on the tips of the wings are triangular due to the low quality and overall the design represents that of an Eagle rather than a Vulture. The bone structure of the Argentavis indicated it had a shorter neck (for a vulture) which would support your point, but the current Argentavis barely has one. The "face melting" as you call it is the skin that modern day vultures have, and I think it looks really cool myself. I think they should leave it how it is and I am so hyped for the remodel because honestly the Argentavis has had the same model since day one and it looked really bad.

It was low quality and had quite a few issues, but at least it wasn’t as horrendous as it is now. Yes it now looks accurate to modern day vultures, but why would it look the exact same for that long. It’s just boring now, and even mutated wouldn’t be pretty so it’s a waste of all those hours spent into it.

2 minutes ago, TemperanceXIV said:

It was low quality and had quite a few issues, but at least it wasn’t as horrendous as it is now. Yes it now looks accurate to modern day vultures, but why would it look the exact same for that long. It’s just boring now, and even mutated wouldn’t be pretty so it’s a waste of all those hours spent into it.

Not at all, you're being close minded about the entire idea of the model. The new model, is factually: higher quality, more accurate (as a judgement of research and skeletal structure) and in my opinion, far better looking. How is it boring? It looks infinitely better and looks really cool and dangerous compared to the old goofy Argentavis that looked like some kind of non existent fat eagle that could barely lift off the ground. 

- Fixed a bug which caused Rock Drake and Wyvern eggs to sink below their nests over time.

THANK YOU!!! 

- Skittish Stance added to tamed dinos

THE GODS OF WILDCARDS HAVE HEARD MY PRAYERS

- Improved Red Crystal collision so they can be harvested more efficiently by Anky

The crystal and metal nodes in blue zone need it more. Idk about others but we never take Anky down to rad zone to get red gems. Please pay more attention to Blue gems and metal nodes in the blue zone, thank you <3