PC Hosted Crossplay Server Backups

Stannley

Hi,

I am running a dedicated server on Windows 10, installed from the Microsoft store to enable crossplay.  Does anyone know how to backup this server?  I found lots of info for the Steam based game but cannot find anything for the MS Store based game.  Tried looking for a similar path to the Steam game but do not have access to the WindowsApps folder.

Cheers

So i spent the last hour digging through my computer and located the files:

C:\Users\[Your Profile Folder Here]\AppData\Local\Packages\StudioWildcard.4558480580BB9_1w2mm55455e38\LocalState\Saved\Maps\Aberration_P\Aberration_PSavedArks

I've had nothing but problems with Ark lately and it's extremely disappointing! I just lost my server with weeks worth of play time on it and want to prevent this from happening again! I too am now running the server from Windows 10 version and don't see anyway in the software (WOW! huge failure here Wildcard) to backup the server data. So please provide us with a detailed description as to how we accomplish this.

Thanks.

Thanks for that path, looks like I have a slightly different set up to you.  My path is the same as yours except I do not have an Aberration folder.  Beneath the Maps folder I have SavedArks, which I assume is the folder I need to back up?

The path is:

C:\Users\[profile name]\AppData\Local\Packages\StudioWildcard.4558480580BB9_1w2mm55455e38\LocalState\Saved\Maps\SavedArks

In that folder I have lots a .arktribe file, several .arkprofile files, as well as bak files of each, and also a TheIsland.ark file.

If there is any doubt, I have a work around which is not particularly elegant - At night I will shut the ark server down and run a full plus incremental backup of the SSD its running on.

Savedarks folder is only applicable to the island. Other maps will have their folder such as "Ragnarok" etc. So far from what I have seen/tried, you can only have 1 version of each map type.

Inside the folder there is ark profiles (there are character profiles, each time someone creates a new character or makes changes it creates this file), ark tribe profiles (tribe related) and "map".ark files which is your world save (structures/dinos) etc. If you back up this entire folder you can just copy paste it back if you want to restore or roll-back. Windows 10 file history will not work no legacy windows 10 back and restore because they are encrpyted windows store app files. You will need to use 3rd-party software to make scheduled backups, manual method is to just copy-paste. 

7 hours ago, Juggernaut said:

Savedarks folder is only applicable to the island. Other maps will have their folder such as "Ragnarok" etc. So far from what I have seen/tried, you can only have 1 version of each map type.

Inside the folder there is ark profiles (there are character profiles, each time someone creates a new character or makes changes it creates this file), ark tribe profiles (tribe related) and "map".ark files which is your world save (structures/dinos) etc. If you back up this entire folder you can just copy paste it back if you want to restore or roll-back. Windows 10 file history will not work no legacy windows 10 back and restore because they are encrpyted windows store app files. You will need to use 3rd-party software to make scheduled backups, manual method is to just copy-paste. 

That's awesome, thanks for the invaluable info.  I have added saved folder to my regular scheduled backups:

robocopy C:\Users\Stann\AppData\Local\Packages\StudioWildcard.4558480580BB9_1w2mm55455e38\LocalState\Saved     F:\Ark       /e /mir /np /tee /log:F:\ark_backup_log.txt

Does that look ok or would you recommend a different method?

• 1 month later...

Also to add, the localstate is not a shortcut unless you install the game not on the C drive. As long as you backup the savedarks folder you are good. All the server data is contained in there including the important ini files to set custom server settings. We are still missing the ability to setup clusters though since there is no where to link cluster ids. 

Another tip: I use Google back up and sync which retains revisions for up to 30 days but it doesnt backup the savedark folder unless you move the game to different drive other than your main one, it needs a shortcut link in order to work. Some kind of bug with Google Drive and not backing up windows user app data

• 1 month later...

I was not able to save the file as a group, RagnarokSavedArks. I had to open this file and individually save the six inside. I think this will still work as a backup. I’ll just have to copy each separately back if my server wipes. As it just did with Wildcards small patch this last Wednesday. I will just physically do this every once in a while. I am saving them on a separate drive under an entirely different named folder that the drive ark is installed on. 

Archived