Reaper and Nameless Connection?

GenTech1000

Reaper queens are seen along with nameless in the beginning so Rockwell must of gotten control over them

Just in case you wanted proof here is Mei Yins note

The light down here does not burn like the light on the surface, even the light that comes from the ceiling. I do not understand why, but I am glad for it.

I was attacked by a pack of small monsters with spines on their backs. In another life, they would have terrified me, but now I fear no beast. I slew many of them, but more kept appearing. Even after killing the largest of them, they did not hesitate.

Only when I neared a strange, glowing pillar did they retreat. They seem to fear the unusual light it emits. I should use that weakness against them

another note from Mei Yin concerning the Reaper Queen.

I shall have to find whoever forged this gun and thank them with all my heart. Its strength saved the day.

With my weapon's enhanced sight, I spotted two survivors running from a huge monster, but a crystal formation stood in my way. Rather than go around it, I sent Ao Yue ahead and fired through it. My aim was true, and the demon reeled. By the time it recovered, Ao Yue was upon it, and we finished it together.

I knew one of the survivors was Juzi when she ran up to hug me. I am unused to such gestures, but I think she understood how grateful I was for her safety. Her teammate is wounded, but alive. With rest, he will survive.

the next note continues where the last one left off.

Even now, I cannot convince Juzi to leave. I even tried using her real name, Diana, to show her I was serious, but she will not hear it. She says the plans she was looking for are too important, but what could be worth what happened to her teammate?

It was disgusting. He started spasming in the middle of the night, and then a smaller version of the monster that was attacking them burst from his chest and tore out his heart. Blood and bone sprayed everywhere, and I was too stunned to act until it leaped at me. Fortunately I was able to hold it off until Juzi could shoot it.

Whatever we are seeking, I fear we will face even worse dangers to obtain it

This was all because of a reaper queen attacking them and impregnating Halsted one of Diana's teammates

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also after reading this note from Diana I think there is something deeper between Mei Yin and her

I finally finished the necklace. I could have had someone else make it, but that wouldn't have felt right, not after all Mei went through to help me. At first I was worried she didn't like it, but it turns out that she just felt guilty for receiving a gift without giving one.

Typical, right? So in exchange, I finally learned what Juzi meant - Tangerine. This whole time, she's been calling me Tangerine! Definitely not the worst ginger centric callsign I've had though, and totally worth it for that look on her face. She was so embarrassed!

In that moment, I almost leaned in and...but I don't think she understands how I feel. Not completely. Not yet.

That's okay. For once, I'm not in a rush. Once we step through that gateway, we'll have all the time in the world.

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 12:27 PM, Umber0010 said:

if i had to guess, do to the Nameless' calling the kings, along with the fact that they can both burrow and have a weakness to charge, i believe that they may be the same species in an Element-infused Hierarchy. to go from low tiers to high tiers

The nameless are the workhorse of the reaper hierarchy. They're small, and therefore "cheap to produce". There job is to hang around anywhere they can and to gather food. the Alpha is likely the eldest in there "clutch". commanding there younger siblings, but still working under the higher order of the queens

The Reaper kings are likely the warriors of the Reaper Hierarchy. there job is to provide backup for the weaker nameless. along with taking out any players that stroll there way.

and finally, the Reaper Queens are the center of this hierarchy, they live in the lower caverns, feeding off the stronger prey there, and laying nameless and king eggs

however I don't understand because personally I've tamed a reaper they don't lay eggs they shove an embryo inside of you and are produced by the ark in vats

3 hours ago, Flaming104 said:

Also after reading this note from Diana I think there is something deeper between Mei Yin and her

I finally finished the necklace. I could have had someone else make it, but that wouldn't have felt right, not after all Mei went through to help me. At first I was worried she didn't like it, but it turns out that she just felt guilty for receiving a gift without giving one.

Typical, right? So in exchange, I finally learned what Juzi meant - Tangerine. This whole time, she's been calling me Tangerine! Definitely not the worst ginger centric callsign I've had though, and totally worth it for that look on her face. She was so embarrassed!

In that moment, I almost leaned in and...but I don't think she understands how I feel. Not completely. Not yet.

That's okay. For once, I'm not in a rush. Once we step through that gateway, we'll have all the time in the world.

to bad they hod to gods forsaken kill Diana off *incoherent grumbling*

3 hours ago, Olivar said:

Are they? I looked them up again, and could not find any direct reference.
Do you have a link to the note in particular on the wiki?

They have, but the notes from Rockwell clearly state he became aware after he connected his mind to the Ark.
The destruction of the Ark was prior to this revelation.
Also it's not as if the arks themselves are intelligent, but I'm pretty sure they contain some kind of AI that monitors their function.
Or perhaps they have some kind of awareness, not a bad theory afterall :D

@Flaming104 brought them up, but they're clearly still mentioned

9 hours ago, Olivar said:

Are they? I looked them up again, and could not find any direct reference.
Do you have a link to the note in particular on the wiki?

They have, but the notes from Rockwell clearly state he became aware after he connected his mind to the Ark.
The destruction of the Ark was prior to this revelation.
Also it's not as if the arks themselves are intelligent, but I'm pretty sure they contain some kind of AI that monitors their function.
Or perhaps they have some kind of awareness, not a bad theory afterall :D

While wandering the surface, Mei-Yin encounters a pack of savage creatures that pop out of the ground. later, she describes these same creatures being kept at bay by her Shinehorn's light. These are most definitely nameless. During their search for an artifact or something else that would help their return portal, Mei-Yin and Diana are set upon by "Massive, slobbering demons", and the "creation tubes" in the Ark's control center holding creatures that will be planted on the Ark contain "Giant Alien like monsters".

12 hours ago, RowletAlex said:

I imagine that arks themselves are not controlled by only one AI, there are multiple for different tasks (the overseer being the boss of them all) There are the three obelisks and possibly the three megapillars around the ark, and then MAYBE the Dino spawning rooms. I detailed my theory on the origin of the Nameless and reapers in the thread “what animal family do you think the reaper is from” in general discussion, but now I shall detail the likely hierarchy system of Nameless and reapers:

Reaper queens are adult female reapers, and subterranean reaper kings are adult males that act as drones to the queen. I find it highly likely that reapers are eusocial, with queens, drones, workers (Nameless) and possibly some other caste of unknown purpose (surface and alpha reaper kings)

Nameless act as the food gatherers, they hunt prey for the Queen. Due to their long sharp teeth they cannot efficiently use a carcass, so they likely drain the blood of their prey (like their basis, chupacabras) and maybe eat the organs before leaving the remains for the reaper king that follows their pack, who eats the carcass, stores as much of it as possible in a crop (an organ birds have where they store food before it goes to their stomach) and burrows down to its queen, where it regurgitates the food for the queen.

The subterranean reaper kings and Nameless both attack any and all humans on sight, as any human is a threat to their queen. Charge light is one thing that may make a pack think twice about attacking, but they’re clever enough to stay near a pack of seekers if the human gets to the element zone, so the human will have to extinguish their light-then they attack mercilessly. If a human does make it to a queen, she takes it upon herself to kill it, and if she’s weakened enough she might decide to impregnate the human with her young, as if the human is that powerful it’ll surely be able to keep its young safe until it is ready to emerge.

The entire colony is controlled by one queen, though workers from different hives will cooperate, preferring not to fight and instead work together, especially if it means killing humans (which is something they rather enjoy doing when the opportunity arises)

Rock drakes do indeed hunt reapers, but probably only kings, though a group of drakes, if one happens to form, may attack a queen. Thus reapers spend most of their time buried underground, only emerging if need be.

And now surface reapers. These reapers, since they live so far from a queen are almost certainly not part of any hive, they instead hunt in packs with one alpha, somewhat like Nameless. They are possibly Reapers from before the ark absorbed them and made a few modifications (the odd means of reproduction, the eusociality, and hatred of all light in general, not just Charge)

But the most plausible theory is they are being spawned by the ark as a simple means of keeping humans away from the surface and the damaged obelisks, with the eusociality and weakness/hatred for light in general simply removed, so they don’t burrow down to the element chamber to join a queen.

I’d imagine arks can absorb new species if/when they come to exist and begin spawning them, as Rockwell invented the charge lantern but you can unlock it as an engram.

Thank you for your input, this is highly detailed and gives me a new view on the reapers and the nameless. :D

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2018 at 11:03 AM, RowletAlex said:

I imagine that arks themselves are not controlled by only one AI, there are multiple for different tasks (the overseer being the boss of them all) There are the three obelisks and possibly the three megapillars around the ark, and then MAYBE the Dino spawning rooms. I detailed my theory on the origin of the Nameless and reapers in the thread “what animal family do you think the reaper is from” in general discussion, but now I shall detail the likely hierarchy system of Nameless and reapers:

Reaper queens are adult female reapers, and subterranean reaper kings are adult males that act as drones to the queen. I find it highly likely that reapers are eusocial, with queens, drones, workers (Nameless) and possibly some other caste of unknown purpose (surface and alpha reaper kings)

Nameless act as the food gatherers, they hunt prey for the Queen. Due to their long sharp teeth they cannot efficiently use a carcass, so they likely drain the blood of their prey (like their basis, chupacabras) and maybe eat the organs before leaving the remains for the reaper king that follows their pack, who eats the carcass, stores as much of it as possible in a crop (an organ birds have where they store food before it goes to their stomach) and burrows down to its queen, where it regurgitates the food for the queen.

The subterranean reaper kings and Nameless both attack any and all humans on sight, as any human is a threat to their queen. Charge light is one thing that may make a pack think twice about attacking, but they’re clever enough to stay near a pack of seekers if the human gets to the element zone, so the human will have to extinguish their light-then they attack mercilessly. If a human does make it to a queen, she takes it upon herself to kill it, and if she’s weakened enough she might decide to impregnate the human with her young, as if the human is that powerful it’ll surely be able to keep its young safe until it is ready to emerge.

The entire colony is controlled by one queen, though workers from different hives will cooperate, preferring not to fight and instead work together, especially if it means killing humans (which is something they rather enjoy doing when the opportunity arises)

Rock drakes do indeed hunt reapers, but probably only kings, though a group of drakes, if one happens to form, may attack a queen. Thus reapers spend most of their time buried underground, only emerging if need be.

And now surface reapers. These reapers, since they live so far from a queen are almost certainly not part of any hive, they instead hunt in packs with one alpha, somewhat like Nameless. They are possibly Reapers from before the ark absorbed them and made a few modifications (the odd means of reproduction, the eusociality, and hatred of all light in general, not just Charge)

But the most plausible theory is they are being spawned by the ark as a simple means of keeping humans away from the surface and the damaged obelisks, with the eusociality and weakness/hatred for light in general simply removed, so they don’t burrow down to the element chamber to join a queen.

I’d imagine arks can absorb new species if/when they come to exist and begin spawning them, as Rockwell invented the charge lantern but you can unlock it as an engram.

I like this idea. It makes a lot of sense and the idea of the surface reaper kings being being “ guard dogs” to the obelisks seems like the best explanation. Which also seems to be orchestrated by Rockwell himself. 

14 hours ago, davidcostarica said:

You people should write a book, i will buy it. Very entertaining reading, thank you very much, clearly a series of movies following the adventure of any of these explorer's would be a hit.

PD: I strongly believe is a mutated baryo followed by mutated jerboas.

Ok, first off, who should write? Second, I never thought about it that way, where did you get that idea?

Ok, first off, who should write? Second, I never thought about it that way, where did you get that idea?
All of you write diferent stuff. I just want to read it lol.
I got the idea from the movements the baryo spin and the little jump of the jerboa.
I think the mutation process can modify the apearence of things making them bigger, bloated, color changes, easy but maybe the mobility was partialy left there as a clue?
But yeah. Please keep writing those stories. They awesome! Hope wc makes the movie before 2097

10 minutes ago, davidcostarica said:

All of you write diferent stuff. I just want to read it lol.
I got the idea from the movements the baryo spin and the little jump of the jerboa.
I think the mutation process can modify the apearence of things making them bigger, bloated, color changes, easy but maybe the mobility was partialy left there as a clue?
But yeah. Please keep writing those stories. They awesome! Hope wc makes the movie before 2097

I have some fan fiction if you want to read it. In fact, I’m about to post Note #6

Alrigh

6 minutes ago, davidcostarica said:
12 minutes ago, GenTech1000 said:
I have some fan fiction if you want to read it. In fact, I’m about to post Note #6

Best way to finish a friday! Post it please!

Alright, but you might want to read the first five first. Also, I have posted the first chapter with my fanfic Element- A History which details the history of element from its discovery to its uses later in history. Feel free to message me with feedback about each. I always am looking to improve my writing to make it the best thing it can be. 

Alrigh
Alright, but you might want to read the first five first. Also, I have posted the first chapter with my fanfic Element- A History which details the history of element from its discovery to its uses later in history. Feel free to message me with feedback about each. I always am looking to improve my writing to make it the best thing it can be. 
Wow. Will do in order then.

2 minutes ago, davidcostarica said:
11 minutes ago, GenTech1000 said:
Alrigh

Wow. Will do in order then.

Btw, it is now posted.

• 5 months later...

I've been studying the explorer notes a bit, and I presume the charge pet that Rockwell injected Element into morphed into a early-stage reaper. (Headcanon starts here) When Rockwell took over the ARK, he was able to turn more charge pets into early stage reapers, these highly adaptive creatures bred with many of the creatures, only the rex embryos surviving. When the embryos burst out of the rexes, these became the final reaper form, however these could not breed with rexes. The highly intelligent queens found the only way to reproduce was through humans. But how do the queens reproduce (make more queens)? Through the Nameless. This is where the big point comes in. The Nameless rely on the Reapers for protection, and in turn, some sacrifice themselves to make new queens. Humans can only birth males due to the lack of consistent element in their blood. It then becomes a hierarchy. Nameless being at the very bottom, being no more than vessels to the queens. Kings in the middle. acting as soldiers to do the queen's bidding, and Queens at the top, reproducing and controlling.

2 hours ago, WolfyTyphlosion said:

I've been studying the explorer notes a bit, and I presume the charge pet that Rockwell injected Element into morphed into a early-stage reaper. (Headcanon starts here) When Rockwell took over the ARK, he was able to turn more charge pets into early stage reapers, these highly adaptive creatures bred with many of the creatures, only the rex embryos surviving. When the embryos burst out of the rexes, these became the final reaper form, however these could not breed with rexes. The highly intelligent queens found the only way to reproduce was through humans. But how do the queens reproduce (make more queens)? Through the Nameless. This is where the big point comes in. The Nameless rely on the Reapers for protection, and in turn, some sacrifice themselves to make new queens. Humans can only birth males due to the lack of consistent element in their blood. It then becomes a hierarchy. Nameless being at the very bottom, being no more than vessels to the queens. Kings in the middle. acting as soldiers to do the queen's bidding, and Queens at the top, reproducing and controlling.

Makes no chronological sense with what we know about the Reapers and nameless.

What we know that is concrete:

.Reapers and Nameless existed long before Rockwell took over the ARK. The Nameless are actually the first creatures Mei-Yin encounter, and she was on Aberration longer than Helena was on Scorched Earth.

.Rexes don't (and probably didn't) exist on Aberration. The dino spawns are controlled by the ARK, and the rex would have been seen on the ARK and in the heart if they existed.

.In all the nameless and reaper are likely only together for mutual assurance, though both may be related.

You guys have some interesting ideas, fun stuff. I have a couple observations. Some speculate that the nameless are related to the reapers. This is not impossible but we already know how the reapers reproduce.  A reaper queen impregnates a host .... some time later(and lot of xp grinding later) the baby reaper is "born" and it matures into an adult.  Not much room there for the nameless to fit in. It might be possible that the nameless are what happens when a reaper impregnates a bulbdog or something but that's a stretch and firmly in head cannon territory. I think it more likely that the nameless have a symbiotic relationship with the reapers, like how in RL plants under attack by insects emit a pheromone that attracts birds and other predators to eat the insects. When a nameless is in a fight it cannot win it emits a sound or telepathic call (because element!) that tells the reapers...."hey man party over here" and the reaper comes looking for a free meal.

7 hours ago, Kawarriorking said:

You guys have some interesting ideas, fun stuff. I have a couple observations. Some speculate that the nameless are related to the reapers. This is not impossible but we already know how the reapers reproduce.  A reaper queen impregnates a host .... some time later(and lot of xp grinding later) the baby reaper is "born" and it matures into an adult.  Not much room there for the nameless to fit in. It might be possible that the nameless are what happens when a reaper impregnates a bulbdog or something but that's a stretch and firmly in head cannon territory. I think it more likely that the nameless have a symbiotic relationship with the reapers, like how in RL plants under attack by insects emit a pheromone that attracts birds and other predators to eat the insects. When a nameless is in a fight it cannot win it emits a sound or telepathic call (because element!) that tells the reapers...."hey man party over here" and the reaper comes looking for a free meal.

The product of the union of the Reaper embryo and a human only results in the Kings being born. We don't know where Queens come from.

The queens are probably a product of the Ark’s cloning facilities. As stated in Helena’s explorer notes:

“I knew from the holograms that I'd seen on the Island's control center that each station created it's own creatures, but I'd never seen where the process actually occurred! There were specimens for every creature that lived on the station - from dinosaurs to huge, alien looking monsters.” 

I’ve stated a theory in one of my fanfics on this forum. That, maybe the Arks were created in phases or waves. The first wave being natural environments with creatures such as prehistoric life and modern day animals. The second I believe was the “artificial” environments. These used an element source, such as the element river, to create new creatures for the humans of the Arks to encounter. The element was then used to mutate the flora of the environment to even further alter the environment. Some examples are the monster mushrooms in the fertile region and the freezing spores from the bioluminescent biome. So the Reapers may just be a creature created by the Arks to either:

A- guard the storage of the Ark’s element/facilitates

B- be just an environmental obstacle made for the humans of the Ark

As for the connection between the Reapers and nameless it could be like my previous theory, or just a programmed behavioral trait made by the Arks as another obstacle for the humans. But hey, who knows but Wildcard  

18 minutes ago, GenTech1000 said:

The queens are probably a product of the Ark’s cloning facilities. As stated in Helena’s explorer notes:

“I knew from the holograms that I'd seen on the Island's control center that each station created it's own creatures, but I'd never seen where the process actually occurred! There were specimens for every creature that lived on the station - from dinosaurs to huge, alien looking monsters.”  

I’ve stated a theory in one of my fanfics on this forum. That, maybe the Arks were created in phases or waves. The first wave being natural environments with creatures such as prehistoric life and modern day animals. The second I believe was the “artificial” environments. These used an element source, such as the element river, to create new creatures for the humans of the Arks to encounter. The element was then used to mutate the flora of the environment to even further alter the environment. Some examples are the monster mushrooms in the fertile region and the freezing spores from the bioluminescent biome. So the Reapers may just be a creature created by the Arks to either:

A- guard the storage of the Ark’s element/facilitates

B- be just an environmental obstacle made for the humans of the Ark

As for the connection between the Reapers and nameless it could be like my previous theory, or just a programmed behavioral trait made by the Arks as another obstacle for the humans. But hey, who knows but Wildcard  

My take away from Helena's notes are that nothing on any ARK is natural. You think we are reading Helena's notes? Nope Helena is most likely living in Australia as we speak, her clone on the other hand has been leaving notes all over several ARKs for the past however many years. Everything on the ARK is created not transported. Even us the survivor are transformed into data when we ascend to the next ARK. So I don't think anything on the ARK gets to be labeled natural, and I doubt that the creatures on the Aberration map are creations of the map makers or Rockwell. In the Aberration notes Rockwell mentions his experiments with injecting element into local life forms. The humans from the future that witness this warn Rockwell that he is  messing with things he doesn't understand and can't control. So it seems to me that future humans are very well acquainted with element and know what effect it can have on living beings. My assumption is that future humans either discover element on an alien world and the Aberration map is a recreation of that world, or at some point in the future humans create element and in doing so unleash some sort of ecological disaster. That last bit is some guesswork based on the fact that we know humanity went extinct, we know the element plot line is important because Rockwell has been saying so ever since the island. We know that the earth has been rendered almost uninhabitable and the extinction info we have so far mentions a corruption that infects dinos (which sounds a lot like the element we know and love). If this turns out to be true then reapers and nameless are either alien life or future earth life. I am not saying that the reapers/nameless weren't engineered to some extent, everything on the ARK has been engineered to a greater or lesser degree(humans don't come equipped with forearm crystals that allow you to store information and access computer systems) but what your implying is that these creatures were created by the ARK to serve a purpose. I think the only purpose they are meant to serve is the same purpose as humanity on the ARK, to determine who/what is the greatest survivor. In other words they are playing the game same as us.

One final note: it bothers me that the Aberration map is described as being originally just like any other ARK. It was only after the overseer was destroyed that the surface became uninhabitable and it was only after going underground that the reapers were discovered. So does that mean every ARK has reapers living in hidden massive underground cave networks?

17 hours ago, Kawarriorking said:

My take away from Helena's notes are that nothing on any ARK is natural. You think we are reading Helena's notes? Nope Helena is most likely living in Australia as we speak, her clone on the other hand has been leaving notes all over several ARKs for the past however many years. Everything on the ARK is created not transported. Even us the survivor are transformed into data when we ascend to the next ARK. So I don't think anything on the ARK gets to be labeled natural, and I doubt that the creatures on the Aberration map are creations of the map makers or Rockwell. In the Aberration notes Rockwell mentions his experiments with injecting element into local life forms. The humans from the future that witness this warn Rockwell that he is  messing with things he doesn't understand and can't control. So it seems to me that future humans are very well acquainted with element and know what effect it can have on living beings. My assumption is that future humans either discover element on an alien world and the Aberration map is a recreation of that world, or at some point in the future humans create element and in doing so unleash some sort of ecological disaster. That last bit is some guesswork based on the fact that we know humanity went extinct, we know the element plot line is important because Rockwell has been saying so ever since the island. We know that the earth has been rendered almost uninhabitable and the extinction info we have so far mentions a corruption that infects dinos (which sounds a lot like the element we know and love). If this turns out to be true then reapers and nameless are either alien life or future earth life. I am not saying that the reapers/nameless weren't engineered to some extent, everything on the ARK has been engineered to a greater or lesser degree(humans don't come equipped with forearm crystals that allow you to store information and access computer systems) but what your implying is that these creatures were created by the ARK to serve a purpose. I think the only purpose they are meant to serve is the same purpose as humanity on the ARK, to determine who/what is the greatest survivor. In other words they are playing the game same as us.

One final note: it bothers me that the Aberration map is described as being originally just like any other ARK. It was only after the overseer was destroyed that the surface became uninhabitable and it was only after going underground that the reapers were discovered. So does that mean every ARK has reapers living in hidden massive underground cave networks?

No, what was meant was that the surface was similar to other arks (supporting life and having various biomes), and that the aberration caverns were connected to the artifact caves and had always existed there.

6 hours ago, THESHREKONING said:

No, what was meant was that the surface was similar to other arks (supporting life and having various biomes), and that the aberration caverns were connected to the artifact caves and had always existed there.

Clearly we need more info on just what was going on with the Aberration map pre-tek bomb(good band name btw).  In every other map we see advanced future tech like the obelisks and the tek cave....even down in the artifact caves. But AB takes that to a whole new level. From the ruins it seems that AB had a full underground tek city, complete with train/tram that runs from the green zone artifact cave all the way down to the element chamber(or maybe the track just broke). The portal at least we know was built by humans from our future so that is explained. But what about the other ruins? Was the AB map a ARK built to recreate an existing biome on Earth? In the future does humanity destroy the environment so completely that we are forced to move underground, and is AB a recreation of that environment?

Archived