How do I Boat?

Fevee

I've seen a few videos, something about foundation, pillar, ceiling, ceiling, pillar, foundation, keep going as the foundation gets lower.

It just never seems to work for me. Are those old videos that don't apply to ARK's current version? Is the PS4 version just not allowed to build these barge-like rafts? I can just never achieve anything more than a spike wall awkwardly mounted on the front.

Sink  the foundations down 5 times, make it a 3x3 then put a pillar in the front foundation then put a ceiling coming off the foundation. The next foundation can then snap to the underside of the ceiling. You can extend it three foundations forward and three backwards but you cannot build on the end of the third foundation so better just to do it twice. Can make a bout seven foundations long. 

Hide the sail and put a pillar where the hole for the sail is. Now put another pillar next to that one in the closest snap point (half a foundation apart). You should notice that the second one is a little shorter. Now demolish the first pillar and put another one in it's place, now that one should be even shorter than the last. Keep doing this (removing the tallest pillar each time) maybe 4 times and check where the foundation would place next to it each time until you get the height you want.

Once you do that if you want to extend out further than it will let you then just hang a ceiling off the foundations and place another foundation under it, then remove the ceiling. 

Be sure to leave the area that you stand in to drive the raft clear or you can not mount it.

12 hours ago, Fevee said:

So, instead of a boat/mobile taming trap, I just bring along chests full of the materials to just make a taming trap on the coast?

It depends where you are in the game , a trap set on the coast may only be good for catching one animal , if no high levels spawn near it again it's a wasted trap. A raft trap is mobile so you can take it to the animals you want to tame . I always make a raft trap for Argys at the start of a server , this way I can sail the coast and travel to carnos island looking for a decent level argy to tame. If the trap was stationary it would need a tamed ptera and a whole lot of kiting. , the  you can take the same trap to the snow and catch a wolf then take it to the swamp and catch a bary . Would need a lot more resources to make three separate traps , and foundations block spawns and traps attract attention , a boat is way more subtle.

Archived