Opinions on killing alpha mosas

anubis3691

They are easy for the tuso. Tuso is the giga of the water, get one as soon as you can.
Is that easy for the tuso with the grab attack? Because I'm on pve and don't think it works. Also the tuso takes black pearls, which you get from alpha mosas lol.. which is why I'm looking at killing them lol. What did you use, if anything, before you got a tuso, or did you trade for yours? Thanks for the reply!

3 minutes ago, anubis3691 said:

Is that easy for the tuso with the grab attack? Because I'm on pve and don't think it works. Also the tuso takes black pearls, which you get from alpha mosas lol.. which is why I'm looking at killing them lol. What did you use, if anything, before you got a tuso, or did you trade for yours? Thanks for the reply!

No you can't grab alphas. The tuso has very good health and deals enormous amounts of damage. Take a look at the base damage in the wiki, now take this times 8 because the tuso actually attacks with all it's tentacles and the base damage is for just one.

I got the black pearls from killing tusos. They drop around 30. You can hunt them easily with a basilo. Just be careful about alpha tusos.

8 minutes ago, anubis3691 said:

You are able to farm black pearls from more than just alpha mosas. I recommend getting a good (or disposable) megaladon or two and have them follow you on a good frog down to the ocean floor. Keep the sharks around to watch your back and/or serve as a distraction while you eat eurypterids.

4 minutes ago, cattafett said:

if you have meat in the squid it wont eat the pearls

I think he meant pearls for taming.

map, stats and saddle armor of your mosa?
i've used my spino to kill alpha mosas but i had to kite it into the cave under south jungle (center map)
a good basilosaurus can kill them in the easy water cave (island map) mine has 21k health and i managed to kill a 290, took for ever
Yes I'm on the island, thank you for the stats suggestion and reply!
No you can't grab alphas. The tuso has very good health and deals enormous amounts of damage. Take a look at the base damage in the wiki, now take this times 8 because the tuso actually attacks with all it's tentacles and the base damage is for just one.
I got the black pearls from killing tusos. They drop around 30. You can hunt them easily with a basilo. Just be careful about alpha tusos.
So farm tusos for pearls till enough to tame one was your method? Interesting, I have about 80 saved up on SE from death worms, and have misplaced several lol.. so you think it would be more efficient to continue dws or go for tusos? Thanks for the reply!
A good basilosaurus with an average saddle can kill them.
If you ever get low on health just heal on the surface and go back down to finish the job. 
On a tamed basilo I would go with 25k health and rest in dmg. 
Seems basil is a favorite! It's good to know 25k HP and average saddle are decent enough to do it! Thanks!
if you have meat in the squid it wont eat the pearls
Lol thank you but indeed I meant for taming! But I actually didn't know tamed ones continued to eat black pearls so that information still helps!
I think he meant pearls for taming.

^ :D
Thanks Lou! Very informative advice as normal! About your suggestion, intrepids, the ocean floor scorpions correct? Any reason for the frog? I have a decent plesi that can kill them, I just wasn't aware they dropped black peals?
isn't the shark better at getting pearls than the frog?
 dolphins are also good as eurypterids can't knock the out
Do they gather different amounts per kill?

Thanks everyone for all the great information!

1 hour ago, anubis3691 said:

Thanks Lou! Very informative advice as normal! About your suggestion, intrepids, the ocean floor scorpions correct? Any reason for the frog? I have a decent plesi that can kill them, I just wasn't aware they dropped black peals? Do they gather different amounts per kill?

Yeah, the eurypterids are the small scorpion looking things at the bottom of the ocean. (Not to be confused with the 90's mid-range Dodge sedan. :P )

As Cattafett mentioned, the dolphins are good. Mantas are, from my perspective, a good middle ground between flipper and ribbit. Most importantly is the knockback though. Some dinos knock the them back, and that's a huge pain in the butt...especially if you plan to use a pick to harvest the pearls. The smaller animals don't knock them back. A plesi would make your life very difficult.

I prefer frogs against the eurythmics for a lot of reasons...mostly because they're more maneuverable than other animals. I'm usually too lazy to kill one, get off my mount, swim over to pick at it for black pearls, then mount up again and swim away. With frogs I stay mounted the whole time and let the frog harvest the pearls instead of getting off and picking them. Frogs seem to harvest more black pearls than other dinos that harvest them. Even still, I get a bit less black pearls per wyattearptit killed compared to picking at them, but you can jam across the ocean floor grabbing them doing it that way. I find it super efficient...but keep in mind that I'm HEAVILY biased towards frogs. lol

Yeah, the eurypterids are the small scorpion looking things at the bottom of the ocean. (Not to be confused with the 90's mid-range Dodge sedan. [emoji14] )
As Cattafett mentioned, the dolphins are good. Mantas are, from my perspective, a good middle ground between flipper and ribbit. Most importantly is the knockback though. Some dinos knock the them back, and that's a huge pain in the butt...especially if you plan to use a pick to harvest the pearls. The smaller animals don't knock them back. A plesi would make your life very difficult.
I prefer frogs against the eurythmics for a lot of reasons...mostly because they're more maneuverable than other animals. I'm usually too lazy to kill one, get off my mount, swim over to pick at it for black pearls, then mount up again and swim away. With frogs I stay mounted the whole time and let the frog harvest the pearls instead of getting off and picking them. Frogs seem to harvest more black pearls than other dinos that harvest them. Even still, I get a bit less black pearls per wyattearptit killed compared to picking at them, but you can jam across the ocean floor grabbing them doing it that way. I find it super efficient...but keep in mind that I'm HEAVILY biased towards frogs. lol

Lol okay, thank you for that information! I have some decent frogs that can survive the swamp cave so I'll see about giving it a go. Cattafett also offered to help me out since we're both on the same platform, so between him being very kind, and you lending me your knowledge I think I'll be moving up in the sea world!

2 minutes ago, anubis3691 said:

Lol okay, thank you for that information! I have some decent frogs that can survive the swamp cave so I'll see about giving it a go. Cattafett also offered to help me out since we're both on the same platform, so between him being very kind, and you lending me your knowledge I think I'll be moving up in the sea world!

Glad to help. A few more tips: If you're going to use a frog, make sure to keep it on passive in case something attacks. If something attacks that you can't handle, hold spacebar/jump to go straight up and nothing will be able to catch you. Lastly, keep a good crossbow on you. They're life-savers for clearing out jellyfish and killing eels if your mount is stunlocked. 

Glad to help. A few more tips: If you're going to use a frog, make sure to keep it on passive in case something attacks. If something attacks that you can't handle, hold spacebar/jump to go straight up and nothing will be able to catch you. Lastly, keep a good crossbow on you. They're life-savers for clearing out jellyfish and killing eels if your mount is stunlocked. 
Awesome! I have a mc Xbow bp, so I can make a couple of those without worrying to much about lose incase the worst happens!

1 hour ago, LouSpowells said:

Lastly, keep a good crossbow on you. They're life-savers for clearing out jellyfish and killing eels if your mount is stunlocked. 

Eels don't stun anymore. They nerfed them to the point that you don't need to care about them at all. They just give a little debuff reducing movement speed. You can still move, you can still attack and you don't get dismounted. Jellyfish still can dismount you.

Daeodon is the best black pearl harvester. I am not even joking. ^^

Eels don't stun anymore. They nerfed them to the point that you don't need to care about them at all. They just give a little debuff reducing movement speed. You can still move, you can still attack and you don't get dismounted. Jellyfish still can dismount you.
Daeodon is the best black pearl harvester. I am not even joking. ^^
Anglerfish are the best. Just have to get points in weight. They will get tons of pearls for you.

10 hours ago, Thorium said:

Errr sorry, but you can grab alpha mosa and alpha shark with a tuso. Maybe is something that wildcard didn't work on. But you can. Killed tons of alpha mosas in this way (even have some screens if you don't believe that. Or just try by yourself to verify xD maybe in single player with spawned stuff ^^). 

Ofc in PvE with grabbing disabled is not possible, unless the admin  enabled it

I used Baryonyx for my first alpha mosas ( 2 with 4k hp and 370% dmg base , at the fight they were around 7k hp and 700% dmg and asc saddles 90 armor) , than upgraded to plesio ( 20k hp and 450% dmg i killed lvl 90 the highest , 120 arnor saddle) , than to mosa ( 20k hp and 500% dmg killed every one i was meeting with regen break after i killed 2  primitive saddle) and now i have tusos ( tamed them with pearls from previous alphas xD ) my tusos now have 27khp and 337% dmg base and i am breeding them  ;) 

6 hours ago, HiImZech said:

so you put oxygen all the way on your hellpig?

No i am not using it for farming black pearls. Since i play on a 4 map cluster i have better options. Currently the best way to get black pearls is to go to the bottom of Aberration and just collect them from the ground. You get thousands in a very short time that way. Before Aberration i collected them on Ragnarok, there is one location you can pick them from the bottom of the ocean. There are not that many, but it's pretty easy and still faster than killing stuff. Before Ragnarok, i hunted Tusos on Island. Before Tusos, i didnt had much need for them and just collected some from the Death Worms in Scorched Earth.

You could use the pig on Ragnarok in Viking Bay. There are tons of the sea scorpions in shallow water. But i never used it, i just mentioned it, because it actually has a high black pearl harvest rating.

2 hours ago, MayaPatch said:

Errr sorry, but you can grab alpha mosa and alpha shark with a tuso. Maybe is something that wildcard didn't work on. But you can. Killed tons of alpha mosas in this way (even have some screens if you don't believe that. Or just try by yourself to verify xD maybe in single player with spawned stuff ^^). 

Ofc in PvE with grabbing disabled is not possible, unless the admin  enabled it

Interesting to know. I didn't even tried it, because it's the rule that alphas can't be grabbed. So most probably a bug that will probably not get fixed. ^^

On legacy we used a level 95 kibble tamed mosa with 20k hp and rest melee, I think a decent 95 armor saddle though, and a 135 kibble tamed basil, 20k hp 600 melee to kill Alpha Mosa's. 

If you need black pearls for taming a squid jump to ragnarok and check the ocean floor https://ark.gamepedia.com/Resource_Map_(Ragnarok) (select black pearls)

They are actual nodes like a silica pearl though angler fish can't harvest them. Look at the spots closest to land and then all you have to worry about is Sharks and Manta's. 

The new meta for taming a squid is currently high hp shark. Easy enough tames but unlike turtles they can fight off other sharks and manta's on the way to taming the squid plus they get higher armor saddles. They don't get the veggie cake heal though. 

Tuso's really are king of the sea now. Even without being able to grab Mosa's on PvE. I highly recommend getting one. There are a bunch of high levels on Rag but the water drops are scarce and the gang mentality can be over bearing so I'd suggest going to the center which has very high spawns as well plus many water drops to transfer your squid back to the island then. 

Frogs one-shot sea-scorpions... easy black pearls on Rag. Tame the squid with a high hp shark, plesi, turtle. With your tuso you can kill anything with ease, just be careful of agro 20 mantas as they'll get inside the squid head. We used the squid to grab and bring alpha mosas to the surface to power level new raises like our farming quetzals.

Archived