Boss Dino Recommendations

Zahlea

Just now, rororoxor said:

Ok...then couldn't we place the spinos near the heart and shoot the tentacles ourselves? There has to be some way to solo it

Well, you can always try. But rockwell has very little health compared to the other bosses, using spino there won't save you much time, the main problem is killing all the tentacle fast enough.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, rororoxor said:

Question: will theris eat their cakes automatically when they take damage? Or do we have to forcefeed it ourselves?

And are some bosses simply unbeatable solo? What about rockwell? Couldn't we send a herd of spinos to each tentacle or something?

Rockwell is doable solo.

You just need a op pump gun. ^^ The guys who beat rockwell alpha first on official were only 2 people, dealing all the damage with pump guns.

6 hours ago, Thorium said:

Rockwell is doable solo.

You just need a op pump gun. ^^ The guys who beat rockwell alpha first on official were only 2 people, dealing all the damage with pump guns.

Thorium is right. It's even recommended to only take the drakes into the fight that you need. Anything extra is bound to die.

Currently prepping for getting the beta kill.

1 hour ago, Olivar said:

Thorium is right. It's even recommended to only take the drakes into the fight that you need. Anything extra is bound to die.

Currently prepping for getting the beta kill.

Bring a light pet too... To easily clear nameless when they get too numerous and to quickly kill reapers using shotgun (faster than using Drake). Only problem with solo is the shotgun that need to be above server cap and how you have to split your attention on balls too, they hurt. 

13 minutes ago, Paroxyde said:

Bring a light pet too... To easily clear nameless when they get too numerous and to quickly kill reapers using shotgun (faster than using Drake). Only problem with solo is the shotgun that need to be above server cap and how you have to split your attention on balls too, they hurt. 

On official items over cap get capped on server restart, or do they get capped when crafting them?

16 minutes ago, Paroxyde said:

We actually don't bother with killing any of the adds and constantly glide around the room with our drakes, focusing purely on the boss and tentacles.
We do have the light pets with us, but they....don't serve much use for us inside the right.

2 hours ago, Thorium said:

On official items over cap get capped on server restart, or do they get capped when crafting them?

Server restart. 

1 hour ago, Olivar said:

We actually don't bother with killing any of the adds and constantly glide around the room with our drakes, focusing purely on the boss and tentacles.
We do have the light pets with us, but they....don't serve much use for us inside the right.

When soloing Rockwell, unless you want to be slapped by the tentacles, you usually have to make stops which will allow nameless and reapers to swarm you if left unattended, because you don't kill the tentacle fast enough to allow you to just glide past them, at least not with the shotgun we have on official. 

And honestly, when we do it, we don't bother to avoir the adds too much as nameless dies after a few bites and low level reapers get one-shotted with shotguns, even high level ones won't make you use a full reload. 

2 hours ago, doken said:

I went today with 9 megatheriums (~25k 490% 70armor) and 1 yuty against Alpha Broodmoder on official.

6 died.

Someone knows what could have happened?

If you were alone: not enough megatheriums/dps against Alpha Brood.

OP just messed up in their "recommendations" - they didnt point out that 9 megatheriums + 1 Yuty composition requires all of them having riders (with imprinting buffs).

@DarthaNyan - "her" recommendations, if you please ;)

1 hour ago, doken said:

I went today with 9 megatheriums (~25k 490% 70armor) and 1 yuty against Alpha Broodmoder on official.

6 died.

Someone knows what could have happened?

I have updated the post with @Lancelot's recommendations for soloing. Also, please note: the recommendations are in no way a guarantee for success nor that no animals will die, that's why they're called "recommendations". This post is just me having collected the recommendations from the community, to the best of my ability, of what will give you a good chance, providing one place to find the answers you would get if you posted the question yourself for the different bosses.

I urge you to reread the note at the top of my original post: What's important to keep in mind is that the result will vary widely based on skill - especially the first time and without having looked at videos of how to do it, count on losing some of the animals. Actually, I would generalise that advice: never do anything in ARK with an animal you can't afford to lose.

Thank you for your feedback! It helps to make this post more useful :) Did you beat the Broodmother?

14 minutes ago, DarthaNyan said:

"ARK Player", "Forum Member", "Original Poster" - all of these are unisex. Anyway i have changed my previous post to be gender-neutral if that irks you that much.

Wow, bit of an overreaction isn't it? I was jokingly correcting you for future reference - hence the wink..........

1 hour ago, Zahlea said:

@DarthaNyan - "her" recommendations, if you please ;)

I have updated the post with @Lancelot's recommendations for soloing. Also, please note: the recommendations are in no way a guarantee for success nor that no animals will die, that's why they're called "recommendations". This post is just me having collected the recommendations from the community, to the best of my ability, of what will give you a good chance, providing one place to find the answers you would get if you posted the question yourself for the different bosses.

I urge you to reread the note at the top of my original post: What's important to keep in mind is that the result will vary widely based on skill - especially the first time and without having looked at videos of how to do it, count on losing some of the animals. Actually, I would generalise that advice: never do anything in ARK with an animal you can't afford to lose.

Thank you for your feedback! It helps to make this post more useful :) Did you beat the Broodmother?

Yes we did, but it was pretty close. The Yuty and 3 Megatheriums barely survived. Thing is we tryed on local non-dedicated first but Difficulty Offset was set to default 0.2 and forgot to change it and therefore the trys we did were wrong since bosses scale on server difficulty aswell.

Do you have any tips about whistling on Broodmother?

Or is there any tutorial about boss whistling in general? Any thread in this forum or video?

9 minutes ago, doken said:

Yes we did, but it was pretty close. The Yuty and 3 Megatheriums barely survived. Thing is we tryed on local non-dedicated first but Difficulty Offset was set to default 0.2 and forgot to change it and therefore the trys we did were wrong since bosses scale on server difficulty aswell.

Or is there any tutorial about boss whistling in general? Any thread in this forum or video?

Unridden megatherium is not really viable as the insect killer buff would be too random. They need to land the last hit on one of the spider to benefit from it. 

Broodmother is the easiest in terms of whisling as there is no environmental hazard that might harm your unridden dinos. Just set them on neutral and you will be fine.

19 minutes ago, doken said:

Yuty's roar causes alot of aggro on the bosses (especially Dragon), so when you roar you want to slowly circle around the cluster that is your dinos and the boss to spread the damage caused by the boss across your tames more evenly.

7 minutes ago, Paroxyde said:

Broodmother is the easiest in terms of whisling as there is no environmental hazard that might harm your unridden dinos. Just set them on neutral and you will be fine.

But in case you are using rexes - they can get stuck in each other while trying to run up to the Brood. So its better to separate them in 2 whistle groups for easier and faster encirclement.

5 minutes ago, DarthaNyan said:

Yuty's roar causes alot of aggro on the bosses (especially Dragon), so when you roar you want to slowly circle around the cluster that is your dinos and the boss to spread the damage caused by the boss across your tames more evenly.

But in case you are using rexes - they can get stuck in each other while trying to run up to the Brood. So its better to separate them in 2 whistle groups for easier and faster encirclement.

You don't need 19 rexes for alpha broodmother, I use 14 and there is rarely one or two that get stuck but doesn't change much the outcome of the fight. If you use Theris or Megapithecus, it should be even smoother.

And my rexes don't have insane stats, they hatched 11.2k hp and 414% md, leveled to 25k hp 800+% melee. (80k xp if you were wondering)

We have a mixture of rexes with 11.5k-12.5 health and 449-461 melee at hatch. We end up with 30k-35k health and 650+ melee to do the following alpha boss fights on official xbox.

Island - Alpha Monkey - 19 rexes 1 yuti with 49+ armor saddles

Island - Alpha Broodmother Megapithecus - 19 rexes 1 yuti with 87+ armor saddles

Rag - Alpha Manticore & Dragon - 19 rexes 1 yuti with 78+ armor saddles

Scorch - Alpha Manticore - 19 rexes 1 yuti with 87+ armor saddles ( this is over kill but I like to be safe )

1 hour ago, DeweyDecimal said:

Has anyone tried bringing Kentrosaurs to a boss fight? If they're tanky in the HP department, could they be viable with their bleed damage and reflection? 

Maybe with a Yuty and/or Daeodon for support? 

Bosses can't bleed. And you will never have enough kentro hp to kill a boss unless your kentros have INSANE amount of HP. And let's not talk about the projectile, as kentro can't reflect projectile damage, but with just the constant spawning of the adds will kill the kentros even if they kill the adds, they get shred in the meanwhile. They don't have saddle, so they are brittle.

Anyway, bad idea, unless you are on a server with different stats or damage/resistance multiplier.

39 minutes ago, Paroxyde said:

Bosses can't bleed. And you will never have enough kentro hp to kill a boss unless your kentros have INSANE amount of HP. And let's not talk about the projectile, as kentro can't reflect projectile damage, but with just the constant spawning of the adds will kill the kentros even if they kill the adds, they get shred in the meanwhile. They don't have saddle, so they are brittle.

Anyway, bad idea, unless you are on a server with different stats or damage/resistance multiplier.

I was thinking well-bred and levelled, thought it might be worth trying out with stacked bonuses. 

Still might try it on an easy broodmother someday

50 minutes ago, DeweyDecimal said:

I was thinking well-bred and levelled, thought it might be worth trying out with stacked bonuses. 

Still might try it on an easy broodmother someday

First, mate boosting, pack boosting and yuti roar will reduce the reflected damage. As it's categorized as self damage, like when you punch a tree. So, roaring the kentro won't increase the reflected damage. Damage is reflected in % of incoming damage. So roaring them will increase their resistance by 25%, thus lowering dps by 25% and thus making the fight longer, meaning more add spawns. 

Then, let's do some math:

base_percent_damage_returned = 10.0

additional_weight_percent_damage_returned = 0.1

"returned_damage" = ((("drag weight" * "additional_weight_percent_damage_returned")+ "base_percent_damage_returned") / 100) * "received_damage"

If "returned_damage" > "received_damage" then "returned_damage" = "received_damage"

Knowing that drag weight of broodmother is 1200, thus, we have:

"Returned damage"=(((1200*0.1)+10)/100)*"received damage" = 1.2 * "received damage"

Which means, it will reflect 100% of the boss damage. However the spider's drag weight is 90, which means only 19% damage will be reflected on the little spiders. But let's ignore that. 

Gamma Brood has 324 000 hp. So, with 20 kentros stuffed with cakes, it can somehow be done with around 8-10k hp each kentro...

Alpha would need about 25-30k kentros... 

That is:

-if there are no spiders

-if broodmother never spits acid

-if broodmother switches aggro all the time, spreading the damage to not kill kentros before they can heal back up

-you spend enough time to level them

And this is why people don't use them. They will die from the spiders or from the acid spit. Maybe bring more daeodon, but remember, the fight has a 15min timer. And with no saddle, they are gonna get hurt very fast, so you will need more daeodon.

And let's not forget that the kentros will naturally encircle it, meaning just maybe 5-7 of them will be hit at once. 

Archived