Is singleplayer supposed to have the same Engram points as multiplayer?

EmberStar

I was just looking at the wiki, and realized that I think my single player game might have the same number of engram points as it shows for official multiplayer.  (IE, nowhere near enough to learn everything.)  I went through and added up the points for all the engrams I don't have, and I'd need almost another 4000 points.  Is that right?  Even if I mindwipe and skip almost all of the saddles (which has the risk of making a lot of tames kind of useless until I get a lucky blueprint drop) I wouldn't be able to unlock all the structures and utility recipes at level 100.

43 minutes ago, Rufiosghost said:

I don't have a real answer, but because you're in single player, you can use admin commands to give yourself all the engrams if you want. 

i'm trying to at least pretend to stick within the rules.  If I start using cheat codes for stuff, it gets way too easy to rationalize using them for everything.  Why bother taming a karkinos legit, it's hard.  I'll just GMSummon myself one that starts at level 300.  Normal critters can get that strong with breeding so it's still fair, right?  :P 

According to the official statement about the single player setting, it will affect the following settings:

[ServerSettings]
DifficultyOffset=0.200000
XPMultiplier=2.000000
TamingSpeedMultiplier=2.50000
ServerCrosshair=True
ShowMapPlayerLocation=True
EnablePvPGamma=True
AllowFlyerCarryPvE=True

[/script/shootergame.shootergamemode]
PerLevelStatsMultiplier_DinoTamed[0]=0.450000
PerLevelStatsMultiplier_DinoTamed[8]=0.415000
PerLevelStatsMultiplier_DinoTamed_Add[0]=0.550000
PerLevelStatsMultiplier_DinoTamed_Add[8]=0.550000
PerLevelStatsMultiplier_DinoTamed_Affinity[0]=1.000000
PerLevelStatsMultiplier_DinoTamed_Affinity[8]=1.000000
MatingIntervalMultiplier=0.125000
EggHatchSpeedMultiplier=10.000000
BabyMatureSpeedMultiplier=36.799000
BabyCuddleIntervalMultiplier=0.167000
bFlyerPlatformAllowUnalignedDinoBasing=False
bAllowCustomRecipes=True
bPassiveDefensesDamageRiderlessDinos=True
MaxDifficulty=False
bUseSingleplayerSettings=True

I couldn't find anything about engrams being affected, i.e. I think Yes, you're supposed to have the same amount of engram points in single player as in multiplayer. I'm currently playing on a private dedicated server with the single player setting on and I don't get enough engrams to get them all. I think you do have to rely on lucky drops. The upside is, I think it's possible to get enough blueprints from drops (oftentimes with better quality than if you used the engram anyway) that you have enough engrams to get the rest.

It might eventually be possible on the normal maps.  In the time I spent on Aberration it didn't seem possible there.  (The "easy" cave drops are garbage, any blueprint at all is as rare as Ascended gear on other maps.  I've got so many glowsticks saved up though that two of my bulbdogs are *anchored* holding them for me.)  And it seems odd that it's intentional that singleplayer would have the same engram limits.  In MP, it's intended to encourage working with others, or at least trading for stuff you can't make.  In SP, there's literally no possibility of being able to do that.  And since they hard limited mindwipes to one per level, I get exactly ONE chance to change my mind about what I've learned until I somehow manage to beat the Overseer and start Ascending.

As near as I can tell, even counting all six levels of Ascension (three for the Overseer, three for the Rockwell) I'd be almost two thousand points short of what I'd need to learn everything.  That's a LOT of stuff that I can't build at all until I get a random lucky drop.

11 minutes ago, EmberStar said:

It might eventually be possible on the normal maps.  In the time I spent on Aberration it didn't seem possible there.  (The "easy" cave drops are garbage, any blueprint at all is as rare as Ascended gear on other maps.  I've got so many glowsticks saved up though that two of my bulbdogs are *anchored* holding them for me.)  And it seems odd that it's intentional that singleplayer would have the same engram limits.  In MP, it's intended to encourage working with others, or at least trading for stuff you can't make.  In SP, there's literally no possibility of being able to do that.  And since they hard limited mindwipes to one per level, I get exactly ONE chance to change my mind about what I've learned until I somehow manage to beat the Overseer and start Ascending.

As near as I can tell, even counting all six levels of Ascension (three for the Overseer, three for the Rockwell) I'd be almost two thousand points short of what I'd need to learn everything.  That's a LOT of stuff that I can't build at all until I get a random lucky drop.

You get fifteen extra levels for each alpha ascension

3 minutes ago, Sharpshot879 said:

You get fifteen extra levels for each alpha ascension

Yes, I know.  And unless I screwed up on the math, that's another 2100 engram points.  I need about 3700 to get the remaining basic and Scorched Earth engrams including all the saddles.  I *might* be able to get all the structures and essential gear (rocket launchers, sickles, gas mask, the advanced cooking pot, and a lot of other stuff that I don't currently have the points for) if I skip all the remaining saddles.  Some of those aren't a big deal, the critters are either redundant or essentially impossible to get without cheating.  (Hellooo, titanosaur.)

12 minutes ago, EmberStar said:

Yes, I know.  And unless I screwed up on the math, that's another 2100 engram points.  I need about 3700 to get the remaining basic and Scorched Earth engrams including all the saddles.  I *might* be able to get all the structures and essential gear (rocket launchers, sickles, gas mask, the advanced cooking pot, and a lot of other stuff that I don't currently have the points for) if I skip all the remaining saddles.  Some of those aren't a big deal, the critters are either redundant or essentially impossible to get without cheating.  (Hellooo, titanosaur.)

I managed to learn all the island engrams with just the island ascension a while back and I am a Xbox player so I can’t edit engram point gains so I don’t know what’s happening now

• Volunteer Moderator
3 hours ago, EmberStar said:

Yes, thank you for stating the obvious.  I do have that turned on.  It doesn't seem to have done anything, which is why I'm asking how many points I'm *supposed* to have in singleplayer.

Interesting. I always thought that SP settings were enabling "bAutoUnlockAllEngrams" by default. But well, I would recommend turning it on; way more convenient in SP as you automatically unlock all the engrams available when you levelup.

Guest DJRone89
4 hours ago, Thegeekgroundhog said:

You can cheat them and don't worry some engrams are totally useless in single player (basically PVP stuff like C4, dummy, note, signs ...)

How is the note useless? Have you never made a custom recipe before?

@EmberStar Just mindwipe. Make sure only to do so when you have a level up (and aren’t level 100), or enable unlimited respecs and not worry about the one use per level.

That’s how everyone else gets by.

15 hours ago, DJRone89 said:

How is the note useless? Have you never made a custom recipe before?

@EmberStar Just mindwipe. Make sure only to do so when you have a level up (and aren’t level 100), or enable unlimited respecs and not worry about the one use per level.

That’s how everyone else gets by.

I'm level 100.  That's why I'm discussing engram points and possibly trying to Ascend to get more of them.  Unless I start cheating, which I don't want to do, I get exactly ONE mindwipe until and unless I can kill the Overseer solo.

I'd rather not start cheating.  Because if I cheat this one thing or that one thing, screw it I might as well cheat ALL the things.  Why bother with breeding, or taming, they're annoying and not very interesting mechanically.  If I'm going to break out the cheat codes, I should just give myself level 10,000 pets of anything I want.  Why bother with armor, I can just give myself godmode and infinite stats.

Guest DJRone89
28 minutes ago, EmberStar said:

I'm level 100.  That's why I'm discussing engram points and possibly trying to Ascend to get more of them.  Unless I start cheating, which I don't want to do, I get exactly ONE mindwipe until and unless I can kill the Overseer solo.

I'd rather not start cheating.  Because if I cheat this one thing or that one thing, screw it I might as well cheat ALL the things.  Why bother with breeding, or taming, they're annoying and not very interesting mechanically.  If I'm going to break out the cheat codes, I should just give myself level 10,000 pets of anything I want.  Why bother with armor, I can just give myself godmode and infinite stats.

Seems like an over exaggerated response to enabling one setting. Well good luck finding your answer because I’m clearly of no help.

1 hour ago, EmberStar said:

If you want to ascend to get more, that's your prerogative. Most people will just use a mindwipe in SP, and if they need another there's a mod that lets you mindwipe again. If you're concerned that your natural reaction to using an extra mindwipe will be to spawn in 10,000 animals and run godmode all the time, then you know what to do...but it's rarely that kind of slippery slope.

The point is that I'd rather the game is balanced *without* having to break it, or mod around it, or cheat past it.  Without skipping *massive* numbers of items, it's not possible to get even a majority of the engrams in single player.  To me, this is a MASSIVE DESIGN FLAW for single player.  It doesn't encourage "experimentation and build diversity."  It encourages looking up a spreadsheet somewhere to find out *exactly* which engrams are absolutely critical to being able to advance in single player without cheating.  Right now, I'm not sure I even *can* defeat the bosses and Ascend without cheating.  Why?  Because I don't know how to make a gas mask.  And the swamp gave will apparently KILL ME DEAD without it.  No exceptions, no workarounds.  It is a massively expensive engram to learn, and otherwise completely useless in single player.  (There are no gas grenades or poison traps, and the one creature that *might* use an attack it could block is a non-aggressive herbivore that has zero reason to bother you ever unless you hit it with a stick.)

And no, it's not somehow that using one cheat code will cause me to go berserk and lose all self control.  It's that I feel the game should actually function and be at least in the same general solar system as being balanced for single player.  It clearly isn't, and the devs don't seem to even slightly care.  Given the insane numbers of creatures that can knock you off your mount and stunlock you until you die (purlovia, microraptor, baryonx in the water, jellyfish and eels) it at least suggests that they want anyone who travels alone in ANY mode to die, over and over.  Yes, there are also workarounds for those.  Mostly involving using a very small number of mounts that are too tall for you to get stunned off, or that are immune to those attacks.  (basically Rexes on land, and basilisaurus in the water.  Want to explore on a raptor?  Hope you like corpse runs and replacing your pets constantly.  Like sharks more than the whale?  Too bad, sharks get stunlocked, stunlock is death.)

29 minutes ago, EmberStar said:

It's that I feel the game should actually function and be at least in the same general solar system as being balanced for single player.  It clearly isn't, and the devs don't seem to even slightly care.

Singleplayer is balanced for singleplayer, and everything you've mentioned is entirely manageable solo. (Including the Swamp Cave without a gas mask) Clearly the devs do "seem to even slightly care," because they've already done what you're asking. But that's not all...for an additional $0.00 you can adjust the settings more to nerf the game even further in your favor. You can even give yourself max-engrams...even though Wildcard didn't intend for you to have access to all of them.

If you can't succeed where you want to succeed, consider trying harder...or cheat. It's up to you. Asking Wildcard to nerf singleplayer even further so you can cheat without actually having to say you cheated is a bit silly.

No, Single Player settings doesn't have the same engram points pre lvl as the base game, however, that and most of the other settings aren't working either sometimes, or not at all.

This is from Jen on reddit:

There are also other, both documented and undocumented, changes to the setting like these from 260.0

Increased the speed of crop growth and the beer barrel in singleplayer when using ‘Singleplayer Settings’.

Doubled the rate of oil and element consumption in singleplayer only on the gas generator and tek generator.

The cost of gasoline in singleplayer has been increased to 6 oil and 5 hide for 5 gasoline.

Artifact respawn timer set to 30 minutes in singleplayer

Figure that in Single Player just like in Multiplayer the goal is to get schematics to take the place of engrams. Everything has a schematic you can get. I've got schematics for refining forge, smithy, and fabricator i learned them initially to make them, got the schematic and have since used a windwipe tonic to unlearn them as they are now useless.

Guest DJRone89

@EmberStar The mindwipe tonic is a legitimate consumable made in the cooking pot/industrial cooker to allow a respec of your stats and engrams. The devs nerfed it to a single use per level because people exploited it on officials but there’s an override on unofficials. It’s not the devs fault you were too incompetent to use it before levelling to 100.

You can skip a lot of engrams, not only saddles but most, if not all, building structures. By the time you hit level 100 you should have blueprints of every saddle and every structure. So only one mindwipe needed.

If you need more i also don't see any harm in enabling the option for unlimited mindwipes. The mindwipe was limited in the first place to make people buy alt accounts for crafting skill. Let's be honest, they made the change at the exact time they changed crafting speed to crafting skill and everyone needs a maxed crafting skill character. So all what it does is forces you to get alt account dedicated to crafting skill.

For those of you that think using the cheat codes is fine, I don't expect you to understand.  I'm not looking for "Dark Souls" level challenge.  But for me the whole point of even bothering to play something like this is for there to be *some* challenge.  If I use cheat codes to bypass anything that's annoying or difficult, then the result is meaningless.  I didn't earn it.  And if I cheat at any of it, I may as well cheat at all of it.  I don't expect you to care about that, either.  I play singleplayer and offline, and this is the Internet.  My entire existence is less than meaningless by default to anyone but myself.

I need to learn the building engrams because I'm using S+ and the mod designer chose, for reasons of balance, to make using the S+ engrams free *but* they require learning the originals.  Yes, I'm aware there's a setting to remove that requirement.  But using that is the same as giving myself all the original engrams for free, and therefore goes back to "I'd rather not start cheating."  Trying to depend on the loot beacons for saddles is frustrating, because they're completely random.  With a heavy bias towards being useless.  I might spot one red or gold beacon every couple of in-game days.  The rest of the time it's blue and purple, and I still get a ton of water jar and medium crop plot blueprints instead of anything even slightly useful.  (Apparently the ones with gold rings are double loot beacons.  I've gotten several that were double medium crop plot and water jar beacons.  Woohoo.)

I don't have the ability to explore the ocean for the Deap Ocean Beacons, because of all the troll creatures.  I don't have a whale or a squid, and those are apparently the only mounts that are immune to the jellyfish and eels and baryonyx tail stun attack.  I can't swim far on my own because of the homicidal manta swarms.  I've lost all of my original sharks trying, and my only itchyosaur.  Thanks to the "flee" mechanic, I haven't been able to tame replacements.  Icthys hang around to be fed a couple of times, then run for the far side of the ocean.  Sharks take off and I have no way to follow them.  So, no Deep Sea Beacons for me.

But I guess none of it matters.  According to all of you, I'm apparently stupid and incompetent and somehow wasting everyone's time.  So... you win.  I'm done.

18 minutes ago, EmberStar said:

For those of you that think using the cheat codes is fine, I don't expect you to understand.  I'm not looking for "Dark Souls" level challenge.  But for me the whole point of even bothering to play something like this is for there to be *some* challenge.  If I use cheat codes to bypass anything that's annoying or difficult, then the result is meaningless.  I didn't earn it.  And if I cheat at any of it, I may as well cheat at all of it.  I don't expect you to care about that, either.  I play singleplayer and offline, and this is the Internet.  My entire existence is less than meaningless by default to anyone but myself.

I need to learn the building engrams because I'm using S+ and the mod designer chose, for reasons of balance, to make using the S+ engrams free *but* they require learning the originals.  Yes, I'm aware there's a setting to remove that requirement.  But using that is the same as giving myself all the original engrams for free, and therefore goes back to "I'd rather not start cheating."  Trying to depend on the loot beacons for saddles is frustrating, because they're completely random.  With a heavy bias towards being useless.  I might spot one red or gold beacon every couple of in-game days.  The rest of the time it's blue and purple, and I still get a ton of water jar and medium crop plot blueprints instead of anything even slightly useful.  (Apparently the ones with gold rings are double loot beacons.  I've gotten several that were double medium crop plot and water jar beacons.  Woohoo.)

I don't have the ability to explore the ocean for the Deap Ocean Beacons, because of all the troll creatures.  I don't have a whale or a squid, and those are apparently the only mounts that are immune to the jellyfish and eels and baryonyx tail stun attack.  I can't swim far on my own because of the homicidal manta swarms.  I've lost all of my original sharks trying, and my only itchyosaur.  Thanks to the "flee" mechanic, I haven't been able to tame replacements.  Icthys hang around to be fed a couple of times, then run for the far side of the ocean.  Sharks take off and I have no way to follow them.  So, no Deep Sea Beacons for me.

But I guess none of it matters.  According to all of you, I'm apparently stupid and incompetent and somehow wasting everyone's time.  So... you win.  I'm done.

Unlimited respecs is not a cheat code you can tick it when choosing your map...

• Eli locked this topic

Archived