What Animal Family do you think the Reaper is in?

GenTech1000

On 1/21/2018 at 9:36 PM, rororoxor said:

That's what the dossier says, but that's not always correct though. And let's face it, your never gonna see a drake kill a reaper anytime soon.

To me the reapers seem like the epitome of parasitism, like it came into existence at the expense of something else, not as the gradual evolution of a single species. I also find it strange that reapers bond so well with the nameless, who are said to be mutated survivors, something you likely won't see from a creature that naturally evolved by itself. Ya'll could be right tho...

The overseer of the abberation ark made the reapers to attack the survivors there,  like how the same thing happened with the wyvern on scorched. The impregnate mechanic is because they are meant to kill survivors.  (Obviously the mechanics are different in game as opposed to the story as this is a video game). Rockwell gained control of the reapers thru the ark network and his experiments and he created the nameless,  that's why they work together..

2 hours ago, Gogohorse said:

It seems that way, but remember mei yin was on abberation long before Helena and Rockwell and she was attacked by nameless in her first few days.

I didn't say that he created them.  I said that they seem to be a mutation of smaller bipods due to element exposure.  It's just coincidental that he also created one by injecting element into a small creature.  (His experiement recreated what happened naturally.)

Honestly I don't think it was descended from anything. whoever runs the ark has proven time and time again they can tweek and combine dna into whatever they want.  I think this is a predator designed with a purpose, that purpose being to keep people out of the "personnel only" areas of the ark.  it is not coincidence that they can ONLY reproduce by infecting survivors.  SUCCESSFUL evolution always serves a purpose.

2 hours ago, Kaprosuchus said:

Honestly I don't think it was descended from anything. whoever runs the ark has proven time and time again they can tweek and combine dna into whatever they want.  I think this is a predator designed with a purpose, that purpose being to keep people out of the "personnel only" areas of the ark.  it is not coincidence that they can ONLY reproduce by infecting survivors.  SUCCESSFUL evolution always serves a purpose.

They lay eggs. Lore-wise theres nothing that says they can't lay eggs in another dino, or outside of a host. They won't do so in the game because of game design and limitations. The reason why there are so many reapers romping around the place while the queens solely stay in the red zone (hostile to human life because of rads) could be explained by them impregnating rad-immune dinos (to prevent embryo death) such as megalos native to the area, creating stronger more powerful reapers (queens) while the weaker and smaller kings could be created by humans being impregnated and naturally running away to other non-irradiated areas of the map before being chestburted and dying (they are present everywhere on the map that isnt green zone which I assume is filled with charge sources therefore avoided) Kings and queens might not even be different genders.

On 1/23/2018 at 11:47 AM, banggugyangu said:

I didn't say that he created them.  I said that they seem to be a mutation of smaller bipods due to element exposure.  It's just coincidental that he also created one by injecting element into a small creature.  (His experiement recreated what happened naturally.)

Ahh. Ok

• 2 weeks later...
Well, I am almost positive that the Reaper is a mutated T-Rex!!
It is obviously clear to me that this is what they are.

I wouldn't say that the reapers are a mutated species . They are probably just another threat created by the ark as response to the progression of the survivors in the lore ( in Helena Note #17 on Aberration they are in a big hallway with tubes were the creatures grow and she says there are "huge alien looking monsters"

So I made a theory on which aberration creatures existed before the tek bombing, and which came to exist after (reapers and Nameless at the end)

Ravager: After. It belongs to the genus Canis and is similar in size and power to Direwolves, so it’s likely a mutated direwolf.

Rock Drake: Before. Since the ark Diana spawned on already has massive cave systems (the fertile chamber at least, and maybe bioluminescent) it already existed as the ark’s Wyvern equivalent.

Basilisk: Before. Despite it appearing to be a mutant titanoboa, they are actually rather different (titanoboa is a boa and basilisk is a viper) It has bioluminescence reminiscent of an aberrant creature, so I believe the basilisks we find on Aberration are technically aberrant basilisks.

Roll Rat: Before. Roll rats aren’t particularly mutant-esque, and Helena specifically notes how most creatures she sees are based off earth creatures when seeing one for the first time. Aberration already being a cave system before the explosion, Roll rats fit in well.

Lantern pets: Unknown/after. I haven’t decided on lantern pets yet due to evidence pointing in both directions, but I’m leaning towards after, especially since the chargepets seem to be amalgamations of existing ark creatures, that were hodgepodged together by the ark which didn’t have any preexisting templates for creatures like these (bulbdog is part Angler, part Lystro and possibly part Hyaenodon, featherlight is part Microraptor, part Dodo and part Archaeopteryx, glowtail is part Megalania, part Diplocaulus and part Dimetrodon, and shinehorn is part Megaloceros and part ovis)

Karkinos: Before. Karkinos have no possible ancestor on any known ark, and they have no particularly unusual capabilities for a crab (except the jumping) Some aspects of it may have come to be after the explosion, but the karkinos in some shape or form was likely present on the ark BD (before Diana)

Lamprey: Before, duh. It’s just a normal (in ark terms) lamprey that is possibly an aberrant form.

Glowbug: After. Glowbugs would have little purpose on an ark without Nameless or reapers due to their charge energy being unnecessary to all parties (except predatory dinos) They were likely created by the ark using a combination of jugbug and firefly dna (fireflies probably exist on arks already, and I guess it had access to jugbug dna) 

Seeker: After. These creatures were not made by the tek-bomb explosion and subsequent mutation, but were created by the ark from Onyc, Tuso and Ptera DNA as a means of hindering humans that use charge to defend themselves. Unfortunately they became pests (by leeching the ark’s energy from charge nodes) but I can’t imagine they’re much of a problem to the ark if they still spawn. 

Nameless: After. The Nameless are mutated humans that either lived on the surface and we’re mutated, OR (and this is more likely) they were created along with the Element Chamber when an area where ready-to-spawn humans were in tanks was damaged, mutating the survivors within and turning them into the Nameless. Through some sort of miracle (to humans) they had a charge weakness, and since they had a counter that could be used by crafty survivors who figured it out, the ark began spawning them regularly. Note that Nameless were NOT created by Rockwell, as Helena’s dossier on them says their origin is unknown (she would have known if it was Rockwell) and Rockwell never had human test subjects, only some species of charge pet (which was quickly killed)

Reaper: After. Reapers were an amalgam created in a Dino embryo storage chamber when the ark blew up, and they somehow also gained a charge weakness (whether this is caused by the ark, I don’t know) They quickly made a symbiotic relationship with the Nameless (which I can explain in detail later) and the ark absorbed them and began spawning them regularly, after possibly making a few changes (I would imagine that this is how the impregnation came to be, it was just the ark making the reapers more dangerous/tameable and adding in a cheeky Alien reference for fun. This also may be where the charge weakness came from, as they were overpowered without it and they needed to be defeatable/tameable by the strongest survivors out there, at least) They are at least part dilo, part theropod (definitely several of them) part dung beetle (larval stage) part mantis (larval stage and intelligence) part human, part pegomastax, part raptor, part mosasaurus, part Arthropluera (poison spit) part thorny dragon, and possibly part Manta. And almost certainly more.

So in conclusion, some aberration creatures existed BD, and some after, and some were created by the ark afterwards to fit the new balance that had been created, and to continue testing how humanity would do in harsh environments like this. I’m pretty sure that if a new species somehow comes to being on an ark and is successful, the ark takes advantage of it and starts spawning it normally, so mutant creatures like Reapers didn’t have to be created on purpose as a threat to humans, but once they came to exist and proved that they were perfect at that, the ark decided to modify then and begin spawning them.

3 hours ago, RowletAlex said:

So I made a theory on which aberration creatures existed before the tek bombing, and which came to exist after (reapers and Nameless at the end)

Ravager: After. It belongs to the genus Canis and is similar in size and power to Direwolves, so it’s likely a mutated direwolf.

Rock Drake: Before. Since the ark Diana spawned on already has massive cave systems (the fertile chamber at least, and maybe bioluminescent) it already existed as the ark’s Wyvern equivalent.

Basilisk: Before. Despite it appearing to be a mutant titanoboa, they are actually rather different (titanoboa is a boa and basilisk is a viper) It has bioluminescence reminiscent of an aberrant creature, so I believe the basilisks we find on Aberration are technically aberrant basilisks.

Roll Rat: Before. Roll rats aren’t particularly mutant-esque, and Helena specifically notes how most creatures she sees are based off earth creatures when seeing one for the first time. Aberration already being a cave system before the explosion, Roll rats fit in well.

Lantern pets: Unknown/after. I haven’t decided on lantern pets yet due to evidence pointing in both directions, but I’m leaning towards after, especially since the chargepets seem to be amalgamations of existing ark creatures, that were hodgepodged together by the ark which didn’t have any preexisting templates for creatures like these (bulbdog is part Angler, part Lystro and possibly part Hyaenodon, featherlight is part Microraptor, part Dodo and part Archaeopteryx, glowtail is part Megalania, part Diplocaulus and part Dimetrodon, and shinehorn is part Megaloceros and part ovis)

Karkinos: Before. Karkinos have no possible ancestor on any known ark, and they have no particularly unusual capabilities for a crab (except the jumping) Some aspects of it may have come to be after the explosion, but the karkinos in some shape or form was likely present on the ark BD (before Diana)

Lamprey: Before, duh. It’s just a normal (in ark terms) lamprey that is possibly an aberrant form.

Glowbug: After. Glowbugs would have little purpose on an ark without Nameless or reapers due to their charge energy being unnecessary to all parties (except predatory dinos) They were likely created by the ark using a combination of jugbug and firefly dna (fireflies probably exist on arks already, and I guess it had access to jugbug dna) 

Seeker: After. These creatures were not made by the tek-bomb explosion and subsequent mutation, but were created by the ark from Onyc and Tuso DNA as a means of hindering humans that use charge to defend themselves. Unfortunately they became pests (by leeching the ark’s energy from charge nodes) but I can’t imagine they’re much of a problem to the ark if they still spawn. 

Nameless: After. The Nameless are mutated humans that either lived on the surface and we’re mutated, OR (and this is more likely) they were created along with the Element Chamber when an area where ready-to-spawn humans were in tanks was damaged, mutating the survivors within and turning them into the Nameless. Through some sort of miracle (to humans) they had a charge weakness, and since they had a counter that could be used by crafty survivors who figured it out, the ark began spawning them regularly. Note that Nameless were NOT created by Rockwell, as Helena’s dossier on them says their origin is unknown (she would have known if it was Rockwell) and Rockwell never had human test subjects, only some species of charge pet (which was quickly killed)

Reaper: After. Reapers were an amalgam created in a Dino embryo storage chamber when the ark blew up, and they somehow also gained a charge weakness (whether this is caused by the ark, I don’t know) They quickly made a symbiotic relationship with the Nameless (which I can explain in detail later) and the ark absorbed them and began spawning them regularly, after possibly making a few changes (I would imagine that this is how the impregnation came to be, it was just the ark making the reapers more dangerous/tameable and adding in a cheeky Alien reference for fun. This also may be where the charge weakness came from, as they were overpowered without it and they needed to be defeatable/tameable by the strongest survivors out there, at least) They are at least part dilo, part theropod (definitely several of them) part dung beetle (larval stage) part mantis (larval stage and intelligence) part human, part pegomastax, part raptor, part mosasaurus, part Arthropluera (poison spit) part thorny dragon, and possibly part Manta. And almost certainly more.

So in conclusion, some aberration creatures existed BD, and some after, and some were created by the ark afterwards to fit the new balance that had been created, and to continue testing how humanity would do in harsh environments like this. I’m pretty sure that if a new species somehow comes to being on an ark and is successful, the ark takes advantage of it and starts spawning it normally, so mutant creatures like Reapers didn’t have to be created on purpose as a threat to humans, but once they came to exist and proved that they were perfect at that, the ark decided to modify then and begin spawning them.

Bravo on the exposition. I agree with this post. However Id also add that seekers could also be part pteranodon with that wing structure:

mqdefault.jpg

2015-11-28_00003.jpg

Albeit a little smaller.

Archived