What Animal Family do you think the Reaper is in?

GenTech1000

Aberration gave us some very interesting creatures, one of those being the dreaded Reaper. However, the dossier doesn’t say what animal family it is in. My question is, what animal family do YOU think it belongs to? I think the insect family due to the exoskeleton and the impregnation process. However, it could be something else you you. 

666E536054CD1DBC44129E80A2A3597707F01C84

_ark_se__dilophosaurus_by_phelcer-d9uxqw

In my opinion, the reaper would be a mutated dilo, with the ability to produce acid, and a similar morphology when it comes to spikes on its body, general shape, the shape of the tail tip, the head crest and its general absence on the map.

The giant size would be explained as the same reason why the basilisk is a giant titanoboa.

3 hours ago, Wazzamaniac said:

In my opinion, the reaper would be a mutated dilo, with the ability to produce acid, and a similar morphology when it comes to spikes on its body, general shape, the shape of the tail tip, the head crest and its general absence on the map.

The giant size would be explained as the same reason why the basilisk is a giant titanoboa.

I don't see why this couldn't be true.  It seems like the contamination has mutated a lot of things in aberration.

11 hours ago, Paroxyde said:

Nah. If you read the explorer notes, nameless and reapers were released when they bombed the obi. That means before they broke it, the ark already hosted them. They were just contained. Unless dilo can instantly mutate to reaper as soon as one obi is broken... 

Which explorer notes say that? I don't remember anything of the sort. They also didn't bomb the obelisk, they bombed the station. When the station blew, the obelisks began to run rampant. (it's explained that they have immense power with a single one capable of decimating an entire portion of the ark in minutes. When the controller for all 3 is destroyed, it explains what is going on in aberration.) nameless appear to have been a small bipod (mesopithicus perhaps) that was mutated due to element exposure. It's what I believe is happening when Rockwell injects pure liquid element into one of "the little creatures" in the notes. Reapers, I believe we're the result of a Rex or similar Dino being face hugged by a xenomorph.  It has a similar posture and body structure of the Rex and Allo. Xenomorphs are known to take part of the hosts' DNA along with the parasite DNA. Seeing how they're referred to as xenomorphs in the game files, this would make sense. My theory is that xenomorphs were attracted to aberration because of the element pouring into the landscape. 

19 minutes ago, banggugyangu said:

Which explorer notes say that? I don't remember anything of the sort. They also didn't bomb the obelisk, they bombed the station. When the station blew, the obelisks began to run rampant. (it's explained that they have immense power with a single one capable of decimating an entire portion of the ark in minutes. When the controller for all 3 is destroyed, it explains what is going on in aberration.) nameless appear to have been a small bipod (mesopithicus perhaps) that was mutated due to element exposure. It's what I believe is happening when Rockwell injects pure liquid element into one of "the little creatures" in the notes. Reapers, I believe we're the result of a Rex or similar Dino being face hugged by a xenomorph.  It has a similar posture and body structure of the Rex and Allo. Xenomorphs are known to take part of the hosts' DNA along with the parasite DNA. Seeing how they're referred to as xenomorphs in the game files, this would make sense. My theory is that xenomorphs were attracted to aberration because of the element pouring into the landscape. 

Diana Log #9

Diana Log #18

They bombed what I would assume is their version of the overseer (not the overseer as they just beamed there, whereas Nerva had to use the heads of the bosses), bad stuff appears from below when they want to go deeper.

In the mean time they find Mei Yin, which means, Helena shooting off seekers, Mei yin taming Shinehorn and Rock drake happened at most a few week maybe a few months after.

PS: I have no idea how to remove the white highlight in this post, help.

13 hours ago, Wazzamaniac said:

OMG is this why theres no dilos in Aberration, theyre all reapers ?xD

14 hours ago, GenTech1000 said:

I think the insect family due to the exoskeleton and the impregnation process. However, it could be something else you you. 

Nah I dont think an insect not enough legs for starters. And just to be pernickety, insect isnt a family but a Class :P We we need to know a lot more before starting to assign it to a family. My guess anyway is its a vertebrate rather than an invertebrate. I like the idea others are throwing around of a theropod dino of some description like a rex.

15 hours ago, Wazzamaniac said:

I don't think the reapers are mutants of anything-theyre their own species. I feel like when survivors came to aberration, one of them was accidentally impregnated from wherever they came from, and introduced the reapers to the world. Like an invasive species (that also explains why reapers have no real rivals on aberration).

13 minutes ago, rororoxor said:

I don't think the reapers are mutants of anything-theyre their own species. I feel like when survivors came to aberration, one of them was accidentally impregnated from wherever they came from, and introduced the reapers to the world. Like an invasive species (that also explains why reapers have no real rivals on aberration).

In the drake dossier I believe it says they prey on reapers.

18 minutes ago, rororoxor said:

Just because they are theyre own species doesnt mean they arent descendant from something. They can be mutated from something and be their own species. Also arnt rock drakes a natural predator? 

10 minutes ago, banggugyangu said:

Having a predator doesn't mean you're native to the same habitation. 

@rororoxorsurvivors don't "come" to the arks. They are cloned by the stations. This is something spoken of in the lore. 

Except if they ascend or transfer over. (In which case they would originally come from one of the arks)

1 minute ago, Wazzamaniac said:

Except if they ascend or transfer over. (In which case they would originally come from one of the arks)

It could be argued that ascension is simply a genetic breakdown of the survivor and reconstruction on their destination ark.  They don't really explain how ascension works, but it should be noted that transference isn't a concept in the lore of ark, only ascension, which awards the survivors worthy of the opportunity to land in a new ark. 

5 hours ago, Wazzamaniac said:

In the drake dossier I believe it says they prey on reapers.

5 hours ago, AngrySaltire said:

Just because they are theyre own species doesnt mean they arent descendant from something. They can be mutated from something and be their own species. Also arnt rock drakes a natural predator? 

That's what the dossier says, but that's not always correct though. And let's face it, your never gonna see a drake kill a reaper anytime soon.

To me the reapers seem like the epitome of parasitism, like it came into existence at the expense of something else, not as the gradual evolution of a single species. I also find it strange that reapers bond so well with the nameless, who are said to be mutated survivors, something you likely won't see from a creature that naturally evolved by itself. Ya'll could be right tho...

6 hours ago, AngrySaltire said:

OMG is this why theres no dilos in Aberration, theyre all reapers ?xD

Nah I dont think an insect not enough legs for starters. And just to be pernickety, insect isnt a family but a Class :P We we need to know a lot more before starting to assign it to a family. My guess anyway is its a vertebrate rather than an invertebrate. I like the idea others are throwing around of a theropod dino of some description like a rex.

After reading your reply I realized my error. You make a good point. A creature as large as that needs bone to support it. And it could indeed be something else. And the idea of it being a member of or a relative of the theropods is starting to win me over. 

1 hour ago, GenTech1000 said:

After reading your reply I realized my error. You make a good point. A creature as large as that needs bone to support it. And it could indeed be something else. And the idea of it being a member of or a relative of the theropods is starting to win me over. 

Dilos are theropods... ;)

8 hours ago, GenTech1000 said:

I wouldnt say its size disqualifies it from being a vertebrate I mean look at the Deathworms they have to be invertebrates and they are massive ! Although I guess the sand supports the body with that one ? And I can see why you think insect, the impregnation thing is classic parastidiod insect. It just looks like and has more of a body plan of a vertebrate to me.

10 hours ago, rororoxor said:

True, but not the aberration folk. Didn't they come from the future or something?

The creators of the ark have taken DNA from people across time. Li Mei Yin is from ancient China. Raia is a priestess from ancient Egypt. Helena seems to be from the 50s from Australia. Rockwell is from London in the 1700s.  Aberration is an anomaly in that there are a multitude of people who are all from the same time and place on one ark.  It also happens that the time they're from is when Element was discovered and tek was invented. 

17 hours ago, banggugyangu said:

The creators of the ark have taken DNA from people across time. Li Mei Yin is from ancient China. Raia is a priestess from ancient Egypt. Helena seems to be from the 50s from Australia. Rockwell is from London in the 1700s.  Aberration is an anomaly in that there are a multitude of people who are all from the same time and place on one ark.  It also happens that the time they're from is when Element was discovered and tek was invented. 

I believe all these people have never actually existed before they were first spawned on the Ark. Heck, their personality and previous knowledge probably comes from the implant itself. Maybe even Diana and the others from the future were also created in the same way, although their usage of tek might suggest theyre actually from outside the Ark.

On 1/21/2018 at 1:59 AM, GenTech1000 said:

Aberration gave us some very interesting creatures, one of those being the dreaded Reaper. However, the dossier doesn’t say what animal family it is in. My question is, what animal family do YOU think it belongs to? I think the insect family due to the exoskeleton and the impregnation process. However, it could be something else you you. 

The reapers are suppose to be as "alien" as possible,  hence the left out animal group. They look like theripods tho. 

Archived