Why don't more people play Aberration?

Rysten

Do people actively dislike Aberration? If so, why? 
Is it just because Aberration is a paid expansion?

Personally, Aberration is my favorite map. The extremely vertical world with no fliers makes exploring and expanding much more challenging. The ziplines and grappling hooks are a fun way to get around. 

Plus the surface on fire, ravager packs, radiation, and poisonous mushroom clouds add so many new challenges to the game.

I'm thinking of making an Aberration custom server - wondering what settings would entice people to actually come play.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I havent spent a lot of time in Aberration yet, but from the few hours I was there I can see a bit of the reasons why it isnt more popular.

The difficulty curve is quite harsh and very unforgiving.  Most people cant deal with this and will move on right away.  Aberration is more of a challenge mode than anything else.

It does have tons of character and an amazing atmosphere, but most will just not stick around long enough to enjoy it.  The main turnoff for me was just the players I ran into and the excessive pillaring and walling on the PVE servers.  I would love to give the PVP servers a shot, but with my infant daughter, I just cant get the needed time dedication for it.

I can't speak for others, but I just don't see the appeal. I can spawn in the dinos/gear from Aberration without having to purchase the dlc. Aside from the bioluminescence, nothing else on the map looks that interesting. Ragnarok is hands down my favorite map. From what I've read in the comments and seen on YT vids, Aberration is riddled with bugs and glitches. Plus I (and I think many others) refuse to keep spending money on this game until many of the issues that have plagued this game early on in EA have been addressed. That's just my opinion.

2 hours ago, Rysten said:

Do people actively dislike Aberration? If so, why? 
Is it just because Aberration is a paid expansion?

Personally, Aberration is my favorite map. The extremely vertical world with no fliers makes exploring and expanding much more challenging. The ziplines and grappling hooks are a fun way to get around. 

Plus the surface on fire, ravager packs, radiation, and poisonous mushroom clouds add so many new challenges to the game.

I'm thinking of making an Aberration custom server - wondering what settings would entice people to actually come play.

aberration is great pve map, but like all official pve servers, its unplayable due to player behavior. for pvp in it current state on officials, playing any map but ragnarok that is made for pvp is just stupid.

so find some good aberration unofficial server, get few friends and have fun

Aberration is simply different.
The main drawback is that people can't bring in stuff, and this is offputting I suppose.
I don't really follow the steeper difficulty curve. Aberration is not that hard, but it requires a different play style.

Can definitely follow the appeal argument though.
Aberration is unlike the other maps, that's for sure.

AB is the hardest map, hands down.  At least at first.  Until you have good crabs, a good anky (pops with 290%+ melee) and rock drakes, you're going to struggle.  Once you can spend some hours hitting the surface drops you will have an incredibly easy time.  

I can see why it isn't like and probably won't be liked.  It is a huge departure from the dino base game.  It's more sci/fi than dino game and the next expansion will be even more so.  It also has a TON of broken features and those broken features do not become evident until mid-late game.

- broken kibble tree.  There isn't kibble for every resource dino.  At least you had golems for stone and mantis for metal/flint on SE.

- there are tons of locations that glitch your character or dino in a falling animation, causing you to lose tames or spend an hour waiting to die.

- there's tons of places that glitch your dino or character under the map, causing you to lose tames or all of your gear.

- the boss fight provides very little reward for the tames required to beat it and as we've experienced, often causes the majority of your tribe to DC upon entry.  No element for completion and completing it doesn't even unlock the replicator.

- wild species Z is flat out broken on PvP, allowing a level 20 stego to offline tank an entire base.

- rock drake eggs become impossible to acquire over time due to every nest becoming glitched and not producing eggs... in addition to how glitched wild drake spawns are.  Getting mobbed by 10-15 drakes upon grabbing or moving an egg is a little ridiculous.

- most of the cool new dinos aren't breedable.

- Reaper queens flat out don't impregnate you a solid 20% of the time and it can take hours to get one to spawn above level 50.

The map itself has a lot of potential, but unfortunately it was released unfinished and suffers the same lag and other core game issues that have never been addressed.

12 minutes ago, Brayn said:

- most of the cool new dinos aren't breedable.

Which ones are you referring to? I've got a bunch of eggs from aberrant dinos, already bred baby shinehorn and bulbdogs. 

I'm guessing you're referring to the top-end reapers and rock drakes not being 'breedable' in the sense that you can't take a mated pair and make a baby, but both of those are obtained by the wild/domestic breed method, so you still get a baby, you still get to imprint, you just have to source them in the wild. 

35 minutes ago, DeweyDecimal said:

Which ones are you referring to? I've got a bunch of eggs from aberrant dinos, already bred baby shinehorn and bulbdogs. 

I'm guessing you're referring to the top-end reapers and rock drakes not being 'breedable' in the sense that you can't take a mated pair and make a baby, but both of those are obtained by the wild/domestic breed method, so you still get a baby, you still get to imprint, you just have to source them in the wild. 

Aberrant dinos are not new, they're reskins.

New "dinos" are: Crab, ravager, basilisk etc. And the coolest of them you can not breed: Crab, reaper, rock drake, basilisk.

3 hours ago, DeweyDecimal said:

Crab, reaper, rock drake, basilisk.  Can't tame seekers either, which is a shame considering they're kinda like onyc... so basically only the signature AB dinos aren't breedable, only the reskinned dinos.

being able to "breed" a reaper or rock drake isn't breeding.  Breeding implies that you're out taming as many as you need to get the stats or colors you want to allow you to have an open-ended experience with the breeding minigame.  Rock drake and reaper "breeding" is actually just an extended form of taming.

2 hours ago, AdligerAdler said:

Aberrant dinos are not new, they're reskins.

New "dinos" are: Crab, ravager, basilisk etc. And the coolest of them you can not breed: Crab, reaper, rock drake, basilisk.

Ravagers are just hyenaedon that were made slightly larger... maybe with a little dire wolf spliced in, but reskinned nonetheless.

Aberation is real easy map, apart from few Ravengers it's mostly herbivores, get yourself a mega and your untouchable. It has been over a month now, people have built their bases, tamed their tames and gone to get drake eggs. There is nothing left to do. No pvp as transfers not enabled, no breeding as megas not fixed and nothing else good to breed, loads of metal Means full metal bases and full turrets. 

Arberation was a good map, there wasn't much to do except get drakes and crabs, now everyone has done that they have moved back home to where it's more comfortable and more stuff is happening. 

Its a beautiful map. Many won't disagree. It's also much more difficult and tedious to play on, which is fine, so for now I'm going to remain on my center map and transfer over here and there to play on it and bring back more Dino's ;)

Im assuming many don't play on it for the same reasons I don't: No flyers, more difficult to farm, and it's far more difficult. Again this doesn't mean it's not a beautiful, fun, amazing map ;)

I think the problem with aberration was although it is a visually stunning map, it really lacks substance. with a large amount of space not even useful for the average player. Unless you have a tek shield you can't build down in the red and purple areas. Imho there is way too much radiation zone. It takes a lot of fun out of the map to me. I don't want to have to wear an easily breakable radiation suit just so I can go down into a third of the map.

A lot of the other features while interesting just seem like fluff. The element crafting costs are ridiculous, combined with the fact you can't even take element out. I understand they disabled grappling hooks to force people to use zip lines and climbing picks instead, but it seems asinine to me that they have to disable a whole basic feature in ark to force you to use their new features. If you have to do that, the new features aren't that great to begin with. 

It is probably the most broken map that has been released. Lots of places that dinos and people can get stuck under the map. The broken kibble tree. The odd places where you get stuck in a falling animation in a one foot sized hole. The odd areas with resources under the map. The glitch where you fall through the world to your death on login occasionally. As well as many other glitches and bugs.

This map played like Ark was still in early access release and not a finished product at all. Considering they took over two months extra to work on it from when it was originally supposed to be released, I don't even want to think of how broken it must have been at that time. They were far too ambitious with their original timeline to release it and then still rushed afterwards. It could have used another 2-3 months of polish to get it to where it would have been a ready to release map. 

For me it's because the base game has only just become playable. It still needs a lot of work to fix glitches etc but it's certainly ready for Beta release...

I'll be working through the content steadily until I hit any major issues. There's no point me buying DLC which I'm a long way off playing. I'm probably 3-6 months off starting on Scorched Earth never mind Aberration.

Been glued to it since it released by now the novelty is beginning to wear off. I loved the challenge when I was new to the map and the new mechanics i.e. crab and reaper taming, glide suits etc. Now that we've gotten everything there's very little left to work towards and half the content is useless. Rockdrakes make the glide suits and climbing picks pointless now, I never found the elevators particularly useful. One good drake and a few dino gates and getting pregnant even solo is a cake walk. All that remains for my tribe to do is defeat rockwell and the engrams don't really entice me enough to want to spend the next few months breeding boss dinos. Overall I think it's an amazing map and they did a great job with it but i feel once you build up momentum you can achieve everything a little too quickly and we're a 3 man tribe on officials.

Archived