Do beavers leave an area?

Ailura

Hello everyone!

I play single player on the Island on a PS4.  Currently in the south of the Island.

I found a pair of Castoroides and started to build a taming pen near one of their dams.  Naturally, by the time I finished the pen the beavers were nowhere to be seen.  I found them once a little further downstream, in an area where I have occasionally seen a Spinosaur and what looks like a shark.  Now I can’t find them at all, but their dams are still there.  So I have a few questions.

1.) Do beavers wander off after spawning or do they stay near their dams?

2.) Could the beavers have been eaten by the shark or Spinosaur?

3.) How do I get them back?

4.) If they come back, will they reclaim the old beavers’ dams or do they need to build their own?

Thanks for reading and any help you can give!

Beaver dams/spawns are in set locations. 

To attempt to spawn in anything specific just kill everything in the area and leave, then come back after a little bit

If you used foundations/pillars with ceilings/any other number of building items (but not all building items) those will "kill" a spawn. So check the creature spawn map on ark wiki to see where the creature spawns are located and try not to build anything in those areas. The good thing about beavers is they are fairly relentless so they'll follow you for quite awhile so building your trap a bit further away isn't an issue. 

The shark and or the spino could have eaten the beavers but they are tough little sob's. 

Always destroy beaver dams fully else they won't rebuild them nor fill them back up with cementing paste or anything else. 

On the island there are 3 beaver spawns. Hidden lake being most common, but also right around 72,40 at the beginning of the swamp and also right around 83,58 the beginning of the river towards green ob. 

https://ark.gamepedia.com/The_Island#Approximate_Spawn_Locations

2 hours ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

Beaver dams/spawns are in set locations. 

To attempt to spawn in anything specific just kill everything in the area and leave, then come back after a little bit

If you used foundations/pillars with ceilings/any other number of building items (but not all building items) those will "kill" a spawn. So check the creature spawn map on ark wiki to see where the creature spawns are located and try not to build anything in those areas. The good thing about beavers is they are fairly relentless so they'll follow you for quite awhile so building your trap a bit further away isn't an issue. 

The shark and or the spino could have eaten the beavers but they are tough little sob's. 

Always destroy beaver dams fully else they won't rebuild them nor fill them back up with cementing paste or anything else. 

On the island there are 3 beaver spawns. Hidden lake being most common, but also right around 72,40 at the beginning of the swamp and also right around 83,58 the beginning of the river towards green ob. 

https://ark.gamepedia.com/The_Island#Approximate_Spawn_Locations

There is a few more than that, 50,65 and 40,67  being just a couple.

I never realised just how many there are till i started hosting my own server free of bases and junk everywhere blocking them

What about the beavers is painful?  I’m planning on taming one so it would be good to know.  

As for the thorny, they are only in Scorched Earth where there are no beavers and the beavers are in maps where there are no thornies so I think getting one or the other is a matter of which map you’re playing.  But if we’re comparing, I’d think the thorny’s ranged spine attack would make it more of a pain to tame.  Taming the beaver so far has only been painful in that the beavers in question seem to have been eaten by a giant shark. ;)

Guest DJRone89
5 hours ago, Ailura said:

What about the beavers is painful?  I’m planning on taming one so it would be good to know.  

As for the thorny, they are only in Scorched Earth where there are no beavers and the beavers are in maps where there are no thornies so I think getting one or the other is a matter of which map you’re playing.  But if we’re comparing, I’d think the thorny’s ranged spine attack would make it more of a pain to tame.  Taming the beaver so far has only been painful in that the beavers in question seem to have been eaten by a giant shark. ;)

Ragnarok has all SE creatures and engrams. I prefer the thorny to the beaver simply because it eats meat and you save far more on resources to tame one.

5 hours ago, Ailura said:

Painful part is the Torpor drain if you didnt bring kibble.  Unless you are bringing Narco by the tub, it really feels like Thorny is just faster and safer (after he's knocked out).

Archived