Could the Reaper Queen be a Mutated Ice Wyvern?

GenTech1000

Using one of eco’s decor mods, I was able to see a clear view of the ice wyvern. With this view, I noticed many similarities between the ice wyvern and the reapers. My theory is that the reaper queen could be a mutated ice wyvern. I think so due to the ecoskeleton-like look of the ice wyvern’s face, the positioning of the spikes, the beak-like tips of the mouth, and other reasons. Anyone else think so?

22 minutes ago, GenTech1000 said:

Using one of eco’s decor mods, I was able to see a clear view of the ice wyvern. With this view, I noticed many similarities between the ice wyvern and the reapers. My theory is that the reaper queen could be a mutated ice wyvern. I think so due to the ecoskeleton-like look of the ice wyvern’s face, the positioning of the spikes, the beak-like tips of the mouth, and other reasons. Anyone else think so?

The thing is, considering the fact that aberration is a regular ark gone wrong- that would mean that any animals from there would have to be mutated from the ones present in the undamaged ark.

That said, only two ark types are canon to the storyline; the island, and scorched earth. Considering that multiple creatures are present only on aberration and the island, such as the spino, its safe to assume that it is an island ark that has been destroyed.

The ice wyverns are only present on ragnarok, which is so far a non-canon map. Plus raganarok is way too massive to be this map. They do share similarities with reaper queens though.

44 minutes ago, Wazzamaniac said:

The thing is, considering the fact that aberration is a regular ark gone wrong- that would mean that any animals from there would have to be mutated from the ones present in the undamaged ark.

That said, only two ark types are canon to the storyline; the island, and scorched earth. Considering that multiple creatures are present only on aberration and the island, such as the spino, its safe to assume that it is an island ark that has been destroyed.

ARK ascension system follows a pattern to prepare survivors for even harsher environment and from explorer notes we know they were send from Island to SE and from SE to some other place that became Aberration in an event caused by survivors' curiosity. There is little to no sense for a system to send seasoned survivors back to Island because it would have achieved nothing in a grand scheme of re-producing homo deus.

1 hour ago, Wazzamaniac said:

The ice wyverns are only present on ragnarok, which is so far a non-canon map. Plus raganarok is way too massive to be this map. They do share similarities with reaper queens though.

@Wazzamaniac look through diana's explorer note, you will find out that aberration is neither the island or scorched earth that had gone bad but was already like that (The cave system was already here, the fertile chamber was already here, only the surface changed.). It was Dian's early group that "broke" the ark. There were already nameless and reaper under it even before they broke it, they just poped up when they shut one of the obi down, not mutated from anything. The mutation due to the environment they speak of, is the glowing of aberrant dinos, ravager climbing zipline and rock drakes being able to detect nameless/reaper.

I believe several of the abberation dino's are a mutation of 2 or 3 of original Ark species. 

Bulbdog- Lystro, Angler Fish

Ravager- Hyena, Thyla, Direwolf

Basilisk- Titanoboa, Poison Wyvern (explains extra potency of venom)

Nameless- Pegomastax, Troodon, Monkey

Rock Drake- Griffin, Wyvern (either Lightning or Fire I'd lean towards fire due to brighter colors), Megalania

I haven't played Abberation so I can only base these on video's I have seen and the few I have seen from cross server trades (Drake, ravagers, bulbdog) but i like to think this is the arc of Ark. 

5 hours ago, DarthaNyan said:

ARK ascension system follows a pattern to prepare survivors for even harsher environment and from explorer notes we know they were send from Island to SE and from SE to some other place that became Aberration in an event caused by survivors' curiosity. There is little to no sense for a system to send seasoned survivors back to Island because it would have achieved nothing in a grand scheme of re-producing homo deus.

Except Aberration isn't there on purpose. Its malfunctioning.

Also, if you look outside the giant windows in the overseers chamber, there are multiple copies of only 2 types of arks. Diana says they moved to the caverns below- (might I remind you, there is an extensive cave system in the Island already in the form of artifact and tek cave)

8 hours ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

I believe several of the abberation dino's are a mutation of 2 or 3 of original Ark species. 

Bulbdog- Lystro, Angler Fish

Ravager- Hyena, Thyla, Direwolf

Basilisk- Titanoboa, Poison Wyvern (explains extra potency of venom)

Nameless- Pegomastax, Troodon, Monkey

Rock Drake- Griffin, Wyvern (either Lightning or Fire I'd lean towards fire due to brighter colors), Megalania

I haven't played Abberation so I can only base these on video's I have seen and the few I have seen from cross server trades (Drake, ravagers, bulbdog) but i like to think this is the arc of Ark. 

only mutations don't combine animals to form a new species, not sure if you was thinking that way or just thinking one of the two listed :)......mutations form to adapt to give the natural selection of surviving a better chance...so technically the animals listed would develop similar to other animals over time that already had characteristics ie angler with its antennae like projection to see in darker water

I also would say we have seen the evidence of the Ark creating or releasing species to combat survivors as noted on SE which means that these new species could be totally created and modded by the Ark itself.  Either way really, we cannot make sense out of mutations because technically you would not see more glow like characteristics on predators :P because that would be a poor mutation to have and natural selection would not favor that.  But its a game of course and who really knows

Plus it can be an entirely new map not similar to the Island or SE but never mentioned like many things mention in notes farther down the story as recollections.  Either way the story of Ark if truly interesting and I have to give it to the writters etc on that one to help explain things and bring such a concept to multiplayer game is a feat. 

22 minutes ago, ehuhoser said:

only mutations don't combine animals to form a new species

Fair point and it was a poor choice of words. 

My thought process is it is a broken ark which means the introductions of dino's has also been corrupted thus when it spawns a dino it is mish-mashing multiple different dino's into these corrupted models. 

22 minutes ago, ehuhoser said:

you would not see more glow like characteristics on predators

The real life angler fish is a direct conflict to this as it uses it's glow to lure in prey. These prey animals are all simple minded, as they are based off of dino's known to have tiny brains, so "oh shiny" could definitely be a thing predator's would use. 

Like you concluded with though, the story is fairly fascinating and I do look forward to an even further explanation in the next chapter. 

7 minutes ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

My thought process is it is a broken ark which means the introductions of dino's has also been corrupted thus when it spawns a dino it is mish-mashing multiple different dino's into these corrupted models. 

The real life angler fish is a direct conflict to this as it uses it's glow to lure in prey. These prey animals are all simple minded as they are based off of dino's known to have tiny brains so "oh shiny" could definitely be a thing predator's would use. 

Like you concluded with though, the story is fairly fascinating and I do look forward to an even further explanation in the next chapter. 

yeah, since we are talking about Ark and not real world natural selection, anything is possible in the eyes of Ark and thus a malfunctioning Ark could create with that DNA of multiple animals a combined effect/characteristic etc, assuming as well that the Ark systems would mix them of course :P

As for the angler, yes to an extent, giving total dark used as a lure can work, but apex predators would have of course a different scenario that would not favor this in natural selection.  Not a glow on the skin etc as what I was meaning where an angler has a more like lure aspect but again as a game, its fun and good to hypothesize real world projected onto a game when developed. :P

3 hours ago, Umber0010 said:

doubt it. while the head crests are similar, reapers also have

-a thick, armored hide that somehow is negated by a special light

-Acidic blood

-reproductive system that involves stabbing survivors with it's tail

While you make a point, evolution works in strange ways. I know nothing about the acidic blood, but the reproduction process could have just been evolution working its ways. And the face of the ice wyvern does seem to have a more exoskeleton-like look to me. Also, the light causing the negating effect could be due to it living in an almost near dark environment with light sources that aren’t as strong as pure daylight. 

18 minutes ago, GenTech1000 said:

That could be true, but can you elaborate on that?

So, my understanding from the notes is that Aberration was an iteration of the Island, not Scorched Earth. That inherently means that stuff like Wyverns and whatnot wouldn't be found on there to begin with, but the Ice Wyvern in particular wouldn't exist because it's not a canonical creature, at least in the sense that it only spawns on the non-canon Ragnarok map. A few people have already covered this point. So, in trying to determine what led to the Reaper, we're a little more limited in our field of candidates.

Obviously given this thing's biology (as @Umber0010 pointed out above), it's quite different to anything we've seen, so really our only point of comparison is morphology and anatomy. If we assume that, in spite of obviously extensive mutations, it's still relatively close to its original size, then we can reasonably conclude that it was probably a larger creature--Raptors, Dilos, Dodos are all out. That's a pretty hefty assumption, to be fair, but we have little evidence either way. Moreover, its morphology is like that of a theropod, meaning it's more probable that it came from a theropod. Thus, we're considering larger theropods as a possibility for the creature--the Allo, Giga, Rex, Yuty, Spino, and Carno.

Spino is less likely for obvious reasons (it least resembles the Reaper, and it is present in normal form on the map). For the same reason, we can argue that it's not particularly likely that the Reaper came from Carnos. I'm personally inclined to believe that the Yuty actually developed into the Rock Drake (again, apex carnivore with feathering, similar handling, etc), but that doesn't entirely exclude it as a possibility. After all, it could have diverged into two separate lineages. In the study of evolution, though, we generally seek to find the lineage that involves the least possible change, and the Allo, Rex, and Giga all fit this description. The Rex is closest in size, but the need to re-develop more than two digits on the forelimbs would balance out with the size differences found in the Allo and Giga. If you really want to get super technical about it, it's possible that convergent evolution combined with mutation led to introgression between species and compounded with mutations, but I have a feeling the ARK devs didn't get that technical. So, Allo, Rex, or Giga is my bet.

25 minutes ago, PuffyPony said:

So, my understanding from the notes is that Aberration was an iteration of the Island, not Scorched Earth. That inherently means that stuff like Wyverns and whatnot wouldn't be found on there to begin with, but the Ice Wyvern in particular wouldn't exist because it's not a canonical creature, at least in the sense that it only spawns on the non-canon Ragnarok map. A few people have already covered this point. So, in trying to determine what led to the Reaper, we're a little more limited in our field of candidates.

Obviously given this thing's biology (as @Umber0010 pointed out above), it's quite different to anything we've seen, so really our only point of comparison is morphology and anatomy. If we assume that, in spite of obviously extensive mutations, it's still relatively close to its original size, then we can reasonably conclude that it was probably a larger creature--Raptors, Dilos, Dodos are all out. That's a pretty hefty assumption, to be fair, but we have little evidence either way. Moreover, its morphology is like that of a theropod, meaning it's more probable that it came from a theropod. Thus, we're considering larger theropods as a possibility for the creature--the Allo, Giga, Rex, Yuty, Spino, and Carno.

Spino is less likely for obvious reasons (it least resembles the Reaper, and it is present in normal form on the map). For the same reason, we can argue that it's not particularly likely that the Reaper came from Carnos. I'm personally inclined to believe that the Yuty actually developed into the Rock Drake (again, apex carnivore with feathering, similar handling, etc), but that doesn't entirely exclude it as a possibility. After all, it could have diverged into two separate lineages. In the study of evolution, though, we generally seek to find the lineage that involves the least possible change, and the Allo, Rex, and Giga all fit this description. The Rex is closest in size, but the need to re-develop more than two digits on the forelimbs would balance out with the size differences found in the Allo and Giga. If you really want to get super technical about it, it's possible that convergent evolution combined with mutation led to introgression between species and compounded with mutations, but I have a feeling the ARK devs didn't get that technical. So, Allo, Rex, or Giga is my bet.

Maybe were thinking too close to its size. Mutations have turned the smallish titanoboa into a basilisk (I think), therefore its not unreasonable dinos can turn into a gargantuan size. It could be a dilo;

_ark_se__dilophosaurus_by_phelcer-d9uxqw

666E536054CD1DBC44129E80A2A3597707F01C84

This is what we have so far: the head crest (notice the placement of the spikes in the dilo's neck frill as well) the general shape, the tail widening at the tip, the "spikes" on the back (the hairs could be just larger and thus  tougher, becoming spikes in the case of the reaper.) They are also placed in the same areas roughly, on the shoulders etc. Both of these also have the ability to produce acid within its body. As a final argument, the dilo is also strangely absent while the reaper is present on ab.

The only gripe would be the amount of digits on the feet; The hands are ok. I could say that polydactia is a side effect of radiation in this case, for lack of a better argument.

28 minutes ago, Wazzamaniac said:

Maybe were thinking too close to its size. Mutations have turned the smallish titanoboa into a basilisk (I think), therefore its not unreasonable dinos can turn into a gargantuan size. It could be a dilo;

This is what we have so far: the head crest (notice the placement of the spikes in the dilo's neck frill as well) the general shape, the tail widening at the tip, the "spikes" on the back (the hairs could be just larger and thus  tougher, becoming spikes in the case of the reaper.) They are also placed in the same areas roughly, on the shoulders etc. Both of these also have the ability to produce acid within its body. As a final argument, the dilo is also strangely absent while the reaper is present on ab.

The only gripe would be the amount of digits on the feet; The hands are ok. I could say that polydactia is a side effect of radiation in this case, for lack of a better argument.

This is also true. Superficial morphological characteristics do have a lot of similarity there, and it'd explain why the Reaper has the ability to employ acid and poison.

Reapers are Dilos #confirmed

8 hours ago, Umber0010 said:

doubt it. while the head crests are similar, reapers also have

-a thick, armored hide that somehow is negated by a special light

-Acidic blood

-reproductive system that involves stabbing survivors with it's tail

I think a lot of these points were just borrowed from Alien, the Reapers themselves could be evolved from any similar looking species but the creature designers wanted to include some concepts from "Alien" regardless of what creature it mutated from.  Then there is the whole connection with the nameless system that explains the sensitivity to charge.

• 1 month later...
On 1/20/2018 at 2:16 AM, Wazzamaniac said:

I think Ragnarok is cannon to because is you look at the first Ascension on the island you can see the first version or what looks like the first version of rognorok

12 hours ago, ObsidianSlayerX said:

I think Ragnarok is cannon to because is you look at the first Ascension on the island you can see the first version or what looks like the first version of rognorok

Also, if the Ark program is willing to let in a many variants of wyvern, a rock elemental, or even a giant death worm, wouldn’t you think it would allow things like the griffin and a ice wyvern. However, there is the fact that there is the Patron Memorial on Ragnarok so there is still a fair argument between Ragnarok being cannon or not. 

Archived