Whats the point in taming a Giga?

Marksman338

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, banggugyangu said:

It depends on what you changed and when you changed it.  Wild dino growth changes aren't retroactive.  If you set wild dino growth rates high and tamed the baryonix, then changing it back won't change that baryonix's stats.  The key thing is that the melee damage % is a reflection of how much of that dino's base damage it deals.  If your giga is doing in the 700s, then it sounds like you're somewhere around 170%.  If your baryonix is doing 690then it has over 1900% melee damage. 

A quick rundown on the giga:  When you knock the giga out and check its stats, be aware that they will change pretty dramatically upon tame.  You lose 63000 health and 80% of the melee damage.  These are both subtractive rather than divisive.  If your giga has 35 wild melee levels pre-tame, then post tame you'll have 195% and do 936 damage. (Assuming official rates).  If your giga has 0 melee levels pre-tame, then post tame you'll be at a measly 20% melee damage dealing a whopping 96 damage.  Even despite this, it is possible to get a giga with substantially higher damage output than any other dino in the game.  God rolls on dinos are basically when a single stat has 50+ wild levels pre-tame.  50 melee levels on knock out would land you at a minimum of 270% melee damage when it stands up (this is not accounting for any taming efficiency levels that go into melee damage.   Those are also considered wild levels and each one is another 5%.)  That means you'll be standing up with at least 1296 damage.  Breed that a giga that also has 50 weight capacity levels at knock out to have at least 1050 lbs of carry weight and 1296 damage pre-imprint.  Imprinting then adds 20% to all of its stats (if imprinted to 100%) taking the damage to 1555 and the weight to 1260.  Now you have your tamed levels.  Melee on a tamed giga grows at 0.85% per level (of it's stand-up or post-imprint hatch stats).  On a 0 wild level, you gain 0.816 damage per level (less than 1 damage.) on the 50 wild levels + imprint giga, you're gaining 13.2175 damage per level.  A 50 wild level rex with perfect imprinting only gains 5.57 damage per tame level, despite having literally double the tamed giga's growth rate in melee damage.  Clearly the giga is the tremendous winner in this situation.   Add in the fact that a giga is faster when walking than any of the other dinos when running (gallimimus excluded).

Now,  with all that said, my main issue with the giga is this:  In PvE, the giga is nothing more than a meat gatherer.   Yes, it's easily the best meat gatherer, but that's literally all it's good for.  I would never go through the trouble of breeding gigas for meat purposes.  My rexes can handle that job just fine, and I'm breeding them anyway (bosses).  This is why the giga is underwhelming to me.  It's all but useless to my tribe.  We have dinos perfectly capable of farming more meat than we could ask for, so why would we need a giga?

Thank you for the information, I honestly didn't know the logistics of it so thank you. Also, I do agree with your issue with the Giga. I have over seven Rex's in my tribe that are all level 45 minimum, oh course they're primarily just for defense, but my 204 Rex along with my Spino and Yutyrannus combined gather so much meat that all three of them get encumbered purely on meat if I'm not careful as to how much they kill.

Get yourself a Giga like mine and you wont look back or fear anything on the map [emoji6].Does over 3500 damage per bite.
Had just killed a pesky titan and as you can see lost only 2k hp,try doing that with rexes,spinos,or a bary.
20180121092549_1.thumb.jpg.eee1b9150247d6e0e8399f2d79212cf7.jpg
Given that he's on single player, and can adjust the settings to his liking, he could tame a dodo that could solo kill a titan.. just saying :)

The question is "Why even TAME a giga".  He doesn't ask why even raise a giga.  We tame rexes and they are far better than the usual wild gigas we tame for most things.  Higher damage, higher speed, better weight, better stamina, better stamina usage, better stamina regen etc etc.  We didn't end up using a giga after all the nerfs until we bought a few eggs and raised a few with 250-280 melee.  Then and ONLY then were they superior to the rex.

Mind you, those kind of giga stats are once in a lifetime finds, in fact probably only a handful of people have ever found stats like that in the wild.  So I agree, when you have to raise a giga with stats that are found in only something like 0.0001% of wild gigas for it to be better than a decent rex then something is wrong.  Gigas are far overnerfed.  They are supposed to be the apex predator so a little more base damage wouldn't be out of place.

19 minutes ago, DeningWei said:

The question is "Why even TAME a giga".  He doesn't ask why even raise a giga.  We tame rexes and they are far better than the usual wild gigas we tame for most things.  Higher damage, higher speed, better weight, better stamina, better stamina usage, better stamina regen etc etc.  We didn't end up using a giga after all the nerfs until we bought a few eggs and raised a few with 250-280 melee.  Then and ONLY then were they superior to the rex.

Mind you, those kind of giga stats are once in a lifetime finds, in fact probably only a handful of people have ever found stats like that in the wild.  So I agree, when you have to raise a giga with stats that are found in only something like 0.0001% of wild gigas for it to be better than a decent rex then something is wrong.  Gigas are far overnerfed.  They are supposed to be the apex predator so a little more base damage wouldn't be out of place.

Level 10 Gigas don't count lol

36 minutes ago, DeningWei said:

Well then to specifically answer his question.

You tame gigas(high level) to get the highest base damage to start breeding with.Try and get a male and female with above 200 damage to start with,I have personally had a 140 tame come out with 220.Once you have a breeding pair you breed them every time possible till you have a heap of eggs saved up and tme to raise one.You then hatch every egg with the intention of only keeping the best couple or the one with a melee mutation if youre lucky enough to get one.You then imprint it as high as possible.Even a bred one with 200-220 base damage which you imprint will kill annoying titans and any level wild giga,makes getting hearts for boss fights easy mode.

Tamed gigas are basicly garbage till you breed from them,though will still out do any equal level tame like rexes or spinos for meat runs.People say my rexes or spinos are just as good blah blah blah but I'm yet to see anyone saying they kill a titan or wild giga with one.

11 hours ago, Nidhoggur said:

In PVE they do have the rule of cool.  Some just want to collect neat looking things even if they are 'bad'

What's cooler, an oversized lizard that is weaker than it's smaller counterparts? Or a Rex bred with 50+ levels in health, stamina, oxygen, weight, and melee that you can go deep sea diving with? I had that situation. It was hilarious when people swam up on mosas watching me kill alpha tuso with a Rex... 

On 1/19/2018 at 10:15 AM, banggugyangu said:

If you want gigas, load up ragnarok.  There's almost always one up in the highlands.

I took the bottom waterfall cave on my cluster. Every time I log in I jump on a frog and scout around. Picked up a 224 male last night (240 max) and 10 minutes after it was tamed there was a 216 male in front of my base again. If the 216 were female I would have grabbed it, but as others have alluded to there's no point in having 2 wild-tamed males. I'll take a bred rex over a wild-tamed giga any day of the week. 

And yeah, the water-rex thing is an absolute blast. It was even crazier back when boosting oxygen increased swim faster than wild plessies and mosas. 

2 hours ago, FlyinJapman4 said:

I tried breeding Gigas, but I didn't have a good facility to keep them together. Had to lock them in with my Brontos. Nearly died from fall damage. Then the egg died when I left for a short time due to the ambient temperature being so finicky. Where is the best spot on the Island to breed Gigas?

Inside any structure large enough to hold them.

3 hours ago, FlyinJapman4 said:

I tried breeding Gigas, but I didn't have a good facility to keep them together. Had to lock them in with my Brontos. Nearly died from fall damage. Then the egg died when I left for a short time due to the ambient temperature being so finicky. Where is the best spot on the Island to breed Gigas?

Turn Target distance on rexes and gigas to lowest when breeding.They dont move at all when on wander when you do this.

you wouldn't compare a level 35 rex to a level 150 rex, you can spawn any level giga you want on single player you should be comparing something similar before writing them off

a giga has a base damage of 480 and a rex is 62

a giga with 100% melee is comparable to a rex with 774% damage per bite wise

with mutton neither is an overly complicated tame, but you need a pretty amazing rex to better than a weak giga

this is a curious question how low are your stamina? I've been bite-walking (constantly biting while walking) to get meat and even though the stamina drained I can still continue to do that until my giga faint (which is never)

I even went after sharks and manta in the water because some tames just could get off the fish meat meant for the ducks -.-

Archived