Whats the point in taming a Giga?

Marksman338

I was a singeplayer to and I honestly agree that they are underwhelming once tamed. I personally think all the dinos that they make weaker just because they are tamed aren't worth the time or effort. Yes, it does do pretty much thd strongest mode but when it's just you and when realizing there is a lot of good contenders out there the actual Giga numbdrs aren't real impressive.  That said they are still pretty fun to try to knock out so I used catch and release on them for sport sometimes.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, edandbunny said:

Pfft, I am PVE and I find the giga to be a fantastic tame. Mine is wild tamed with kibble at 130, and it is my go to mount for both heavy meat collection, and for any pesky alpha rex or rock elemental hanging around. Once I got my boy, my rexes have sat in my base.  Still looking for a high level female so I can see what a good bred giga can do.

You don't even need a high-level female. Just get the lowest female you can find, breed in the male's melee and maybe weight, and then let the imprinting do it's thing.

9 hours ago, Wazzamaniac said:

Hold up. You say it does 20 less than your bary. Do you have damage indicators on?

You do know the base damage of a giga is 400? And bary 35(I think)?

The damage stat of the dino is not the pure actual damage output; it is a percentage of the values mentioned above. So your giga which is probably like at what, 100+%? (Not too familiar with the low dmg scaling of a giga) compares to a 1000+% or so bary

No, I have the Damage Indicator on. I realized I typed something incorrectly, my Baryonyx does twenty LESS damage than the Giga, but thats still not a lot. The Baryonyx I have does aboyt 690 damage per hit, the Giga does about 710.

9 hours ago, Avaraxius said:

Dunno what your settings are in singleplayer or your stats of the giga. I play on pve got breeded gigas (higher lvl) maybe thats why but they are much better in damage then a rex of same lvl. Their stamina is bad thats for sure but they are a much better damagedealer and meat collector than a Rex or Spino. 

I thought that maybe breeding Giga would get better stats but I guess the issue is that only one Giga seems to spawn at a time in my world. I've been around the entire map three times over before and after entering DestroyWildDinos and I have never found more than 1 Giga, so that causes issues with taming two to mate them.

2 minutes ago, Marksman338 said:

I thought that maybe breeding Giga would get better stats but I guess the issue is that only one Giga seems to spawn at a time in my world. I've been around the entire map three times over before and after entering DestroyWildDinos and I have never found more than 1 Giga, so that causes issues with taming two to mate them.

After taming or killing one, another will spawn.  I think on official servers the most wild gigas that can be alive at one time is 3.  This is adjustable in single player and officials through dino spawn weighting settings.

Just now, banggugyangu said:

After taming or killing one, another will spawn.  I think on official servers the most wild gigas that can be alive at one time is 3.  This is adjustable in single player and officials through dino spawn weighting settings.

I've tried adjusting it but no matter what its only one Giga. My game for some reason has glitches that no one else has experienced. Nothing new to me.

6 hours ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

This was my thought. The base damage of a Giga is so much higher so it really is about the melee percentage in this case. If you have a 50% melee Giga (240 damage) you're Bary has to be a 700% Bary to equal/surpass that output. 

The base damage doesn't matter the game type (single, official, unofficial) so perhaps you got a bad stat roll. 

Get another Giga opposite sex, breed them, get the melee stat mutations, imprint on it (HP on a 100% imprinted Giga goes up to 34k HP approx.), start to get the 230, 250, 270 hatch melee that you imprint on and you'll see a huge difference. A good saddled 400% melee Giga will easily solo a Titan and can even solo some wild Giga's. When you can two chomp a 150 Paracer and 3 chomp a 150 Bronto, you won't need the long meat runs. You can literally walk a fraction of the swamp once and come back with your 300 slots of meat. 

I figured that breeding them could get one with higher damage, I'll explain breifly that I have some weird glitch where only one spawns at a time regardless of settings, weird glitches is nothing new to me. But what I wanted to say was I'm not talking about the percentages, my Baryonyx does 690 damage per hit while my Giga does 710.

1 minute ago, banggugyangu said:

Regardless, after taming, another will spawn.

I just have to find it or DestroyWildDinos and I can get another one to spawn. The reason I at lest feel that it's glitched is because I got a low leveled Giga killed and it never re-spawned. I searched around the entire world for over an hour and never found it. Entering the command fixes it though. I'm not going to just be that person whos like "Its the games fault for glitching!", but I just have unusual spawn rate glitches, especially with Megalosaurus.

5 hours ago, edskelly said:

This was me on my worst stats/saddle/imprint combo.It is only about 90% imprinted, a 100 armor saddle and was a 260 damage base....which was leveled to near 500 damage.I have much better that wreck everything but wanted to test the worst.

As you can see from the screenshot it wrecked a 140 wild giga easy.So I would say any 100% imprinted over about 220ish base damage with a decent saddle can kill any level wild.

The thing with fighting wild gigas is even one as low as level 20 will do nearly the same damage as a high level one due to the way their bleed works.

20171227100412_1.jpg

5 hours ago, TracerBee said:

You need to breed them, they are highly imprint sensitive.

Good mutated/imprinted gigas are worth having, now that they have fixed the enrage bug.

5 hours ago, CARB0N said:

you tame them to create bloodlines..

i can guess you are a low tier player. gigas are a huge asset in anti bronto/paracer offenses

3 hours ago, metsfan92286 said:

You have to raise and imprint them to get decent gigas.  Gigas get a massive benefit from imprinting because of how long they take to raise, so they get way more imprints than other dinos.  Our gigas pop out a 18k HP and 255 damage and by the time theyre fully raised theyre at about 35k HP and 350 dmg.  We typically get about 75-85% imprinting.  That plus the imprint bonus if you're the one who raised them, and you'll see they really do much better than rexes.

Okay, this is just a reply to everyone saying to breed Giga and imprint on them for higher levels, or anything along those lines. Yes, I realized that last night after I made the post that imprinting on them is probably how to get a Giga with really high damage. As I said above, its the first Giga I've tamed in two years since I've had so many data wipes over the years and I have never tamed more than one at a time because I never got that far. The main point I had with this post was that a standard Giga was a bit to underwhelming for what I thought it was going to be. I didn't expect an over powered monster, but I expected something just a bit more powerful than it actually is. Call me a nood or low tier player or whatever, I don't even breed dinos accept for Quetzals and eggs to tame Titanoboas so I don;t know that kind of advantage a breaded Giga could have.

4 hours ago, anubis3691 said:

Hey Marksman! As others have mentioned, don't confuse melee dmg% (the stat you see in the dinos inventory) with the base damage of the Dino. (What you don't see unless you go to ark wiki and look it up lol) it takes a Rex with roughly 700% melee stat to = the same damage output as a giga with 100% melee stat. That's to say you have to remember the giga works the same way so, for a 200% melee giga it would take a whopping 1400% Rex to do the same damage!!

Also I asked the question myself on these forums a few days ago and didn't get a answer so I tested it on my offical server with a Rex I had just collecting levels, boosted it's melee to 700, went on a meat run... A 100% giga still gets more meat, not alot, but still more. So, gigas are by far the best way to get meat when breeding!

I'm not sure how many, or even how you would do it with Rex's, but I know a giga as low as 25k health and 300% melee can kill a Titan.

Again I play on offical too, so if your on single player, your stats can be boosted and I can't rightfully speak for those.Indeed Nickoli, the stamina on gigas suck for sure! But are you aware that a giga walking, is faster than a rex running!! This has been tested far too many times with my wife trying to keep up with me screaming "honey slow down I need stamina!!" On her Rex, while I'm over here screaming back "I'm only walking!?!" On my giga :)emoji14.png .

Moral of the story, if you hate stopping for stamina, you can walk a giga conserving your stamina and still out run a rex that's running and having to stop when it's low.

That is to say, unless you've used some tasty level ups to put into Rex speed!! Haven't tried it? Raise you a good stat Rex and then just level speed!! It's.. so.. much. Fun!! (I play on pve btw so I'm not supporting using Dino's or characters to out run players guns or anything. It's just simple fun to have a rex running light speed!)

It's not the % I was talking about. I don't like the fact that the percentage isn't a consistent state for all creatures but oh well. The Giga I have at Level 207 does about 710 damage per attack while my Baryonyx (level 189) does 690 or so. Thats what I was referring to, I realize that I didn't explain that well when I typed this,

It's not the % I was talking about. I don't like the fact that the percentage isn't a consistent state for all creatures but oh well. The Giga I have at Level 207 does about 710 damage per attack while my Baryonyx (level 189) does 690 or so. Thats what I was referring to, I realize that I didn't explain that well when I typed this,
That's okay! It was just a miss understanding! I do have a question for you, what exactly is the melee % of your Barry? Almost all the replies here are more than likely based from official, or near offical settings. For your 177 Barry to have that high of damage you must have some settings adjusted! In which case it's exactly like you asked from the beginning, there's not much of a point in taming one if you have it set in a way where you can get Dino's that rival what the giga offers!

8 minutes ago, Marksman338 said:

What do you mean it "isn't a consistent state"?  All Dinos have a base damage. The damage the Dino deals is based on what their melee damage % of their base damage is. Wild levels put into melee damage increase it by a specific amount of damage per level. Upon tame, further levels will increase it by a percentage of the damage it does upon standing up. The gains in both are completely consistent. They never vary. 1 level will give a specific amount. 2 levels will always give exactly 2x what 1 level gives. The only variance you'll ever see is the tamed growth rate between 2 different tames of the given Dino. If they stand up with 2 different melee damage values, then they will grow differently because the value that tamed growth is based upon differs between them.  

What do you mean it "isn't a consistent state"?  All Dinos have a base damage. The damage the Dino deals is based on what their melee damage % of their base damage is. Wild levels put into melee damage increase it by a specific amount of damage per level. Upon tame, further levels will increase it by a percentage of the damage it does upon standing up. The gains in both are completely consistent. They never vary. 1 level will give a specific amount. 2 levels will always give exactly 2x what 1 level gives. The only variance you'll ever see is the tamed growth rate between 2 different tames of the given Dino. If they stand up with 2 different melee damage values, then they will grow differently because the value that tamed growth is based upon differs between them.  
I think he simple meant, he wished it just showed the overall damage. Instead of a % on the stats screen.

35 minutes ago, anubis3691 said:
40 minutes ago, Marksman338 said:

That's okay! It was just a miss understanding! I do have a question for you, what exactly is the melee % of your Barry? Almost all the replies here are more than likely based from official, or near offical settings. For your 177 Barry to have that high of damage you must have some settings adjusted! In which case it's exactly like you asked from the beginning, there's not much of a point in taming one if you have it set in a way where you can get Dino's that rival what the giga offers!

28 minutes ago, banggugyangu said:

22 minutes ago, anubis3691 said:
28 minutes ago, banggugyangu said:

I think he simple meant, he wished it just showed the overall damage. Instead of a % on the stats screen.

Yeah, thats what I meant by an inconsistent stat. I wish it would display its actual damage per hit as opposed to a percentage that is only comparable with other members of its species. But thats not important. The damage state for tamed Dinos is altered on my server when I accidently set it to max and forgot the default setting. Its only at 0.3 but shouldn't that also affect the Gigas damage?

Yeah, thats what I meant by an inconsistent stat. I wish it would display its actual damage per hit as opposed to a percentage that is only comparable with other members of its species. But thats not important. The damage state for tamed Dinos is altered on my server when I accidently set it to max and forgot the default setting. Its only at 0.3 but shouldn't that also affect the Gigas damage?
Indeed it should, i would think, but honestly I don't know enough information about single player settings to even begin to understand the difference myself lol! That kind of question would be better answered by someone who hosts servers or plays single player themselves! [emoji4]

17 minutes ago, anubis3691 said:

Indeed it should, i would think, but honestly I don't know enough information about single player settings to even begin to understand the difference myself lol! That kind of question would be better answered by someone who hosts servers or plays single player themselves! emoji4.png

I'm honestly not entirely sure myself but I'm pretty sure that it affects the amount of damage inflicted by all tamed dinos (theres a different setting for wild dinos and players), but oh well. Maybe I just lucked out with most of my other creatures and their damage stats.

It depends on what you changed and when you changed it.  Wild dino growth changes aren't retroactive.  If you set wild dino growth rates high and tamed the baryonix, then changing it back won't change that baryonix's stats.  The key thing is that the melee damage % is a reflection of how much of that dino's base damage it deals.  If your giga is doing in the 700s, then it sounds like you're somewhere around 170%.  If your baryonix is doing 690then it has over 1900% melee damage. 

A quick rundown on the giga:  When you knock the giga out and check its stats, be aware that they will change pretty dramatically upon tame.  You lose 63000 health and 80% of the melee damage.  These are both subtractive rather than divisive.  If your giga has 35 wild melee levels pre-tame, then post tame you'll have 195% and do 936 damage. (Assuming official rates).  If your giga has 0 melee levels pre-tame, then post tame you'll be at a measly 20% melee damage dealing a whopping 96 damage.  Even despite this, it is possible to get a giga with substantially higher damage output than any other dino in the game.  God rolls on dinos are basically when a single stat has 50+ wild levels pre-tame.  50 melee levels on knock out would land you at a minimum of 270% melee damage when it stands up (this is not accounting for any taming efficiency levels that go into melee damage.   Those are also considered wild levels and each one is another 5%.)  That means you'll be standing up with at least 1296 damage.  Breed that a giga that also has 50 weight capacity levels at knock out to have at least 1050 lbs of carry weight and 1296 damage pre-imprint.  Imprinting then adds 20% to all of its stats (if imprinted to 100%) taking the damage to 1555 and the weight to 1260.  Now you have your tamed levels.  Melee on a tamed giga grows at 0.85% per level (of it's stand-up or post-imprint hatch stats).  On a 0 wild level, you gain 0.816 damage per level (less than 1 damage.) on the 50 wild levels + imprint giga, you're gaining 13.2175 damage per level.  A 50 wild level rex with perfect imprinting only gains 5.57 damage per tame level, despite having literally double the tamed giga's growth rate in melee damage.  Clearly the giga is the tremendous winner in this situation.   Add in the fact that a giga is faster when walking than any of the other dinos when running (gallimimus excluded).

Now,  with all that said, my main issue with the giga is this:  In PvE, the giga is nothing more than a meat gatherer.   Yes, it's easily the best meat gatherer, but that's literally all it's good for.  I would never go through the trouble of breeding gigas for meat purposes.  My rexes can handle that job just fine, and I'm breeding them anyway (bosses).  This is why the giga is underwhelming to me.  It's all but useless to my tribe.  We have dinos perfectly capable of farming more meat than we could ask for, so why would we need a giga?

3 hours ago, Marksman338 said:

Okay, this is just a reply to everyone saying to breed Giga and imprint on them for higher levels, or anything along those lines. Yes, I realized that last night after I made the post that imprinting on them is probably how to get a Giga with really high damage. As I said above, its the first Giga I've tamed in two years since I've had so many data wipes over the years and I have never tamed more than one at a time because I never got that far. The main point I had with this post was that a standard Giga was a bit to underwhelming for what I thought it was going to be. I didn't expect an over powered monster, but I expected something just a bit more powerful than it actually is. Call me a nood or low tier player or whatever, I don't even breed dinos accept for Quetzals and eggs to tame Titanoboas so I don;t know that kind of advantage a breaded Giga could have.

Well now you know.  Time to start breeding :)

Archived