Whats the point in taming a Giga?

Marksman338

So I just got done taming my first Giga in over two years, its the first one I tamed solo and the first one I've ridden on and fought with. I was so excited when it finished tame since it was a high level (level 120 wild/177 when tamed) and I was going to go and kill two alpha Carnos in the area just to give it some levels. When I finally fought the Alphas, I received probably the greatest disappointment of my time gaming. The Giga, currently level 207 is less useful than my Rex three levels lower. The only stat that the Giga is superior in is health with it having 17,000 while my Rex (Level 204) has 5,000. But in the end, who cares if it has 17,000 health? My Spino (Level 224) has nearly 12,000 health, higher damage, and wont turn on me if I walk it off a small cliff or let it get below a certain health point. I know, I know, I have to level it up and all, but I've leveled it up 30 times, putting 28 points into damage and it still does twenty less than my Baryonyx thats over twenty levels lower, not to mention that my Spino which has over fifty more damage per hit and my Rex which does over two hundred more per hit. Not to mention that the Gigas stamina is so low it can run for like ten seconds before it needs a break while I can run my Spino from one end of the map to the other without needing a break. And look, I understand that a while ago there was an issue with Gigas being over powered in PvP and completely wiping out tribes without a Giga, but that doesn't mean that my Giga has to be worse than a Rex of the same level in almost every regard. Rex's are one of the easiest creatures to tame in the game while the Giga is time and resource consuming and its only superior state is health, which doesn;t even matter because if your going to have it fight anything that could actually do enough damage that the extra health is useful it'll probably just kill you?! Seriously, the Giga is literally just a Rex with less damage and stamina, but will turn against you at the slightest mistake. I don't want the Giga to be over powered, don't think that, I just want it to be even a little bit better than a Rex or Spino of similar levels. I don't expect many people to agree with me or for anything to change, and thats fine, I admittedly play solo so I don't know how it is on PvP and public servers, but I just felt the need to express my disappointment with the Giga.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Nickoli1900 said:

I actually agree with you, to me they are just a trophy mount. I primarily use mine solely for killing rock golems, other than that he mainly sits in the base collecting dust next to my 1st parasaur.

Yeah, mine is currently sitting in a cavern near my base just to keep it away from all my other dinos. I'm honestly not even going to use it for anything, I just use either my Spino, Rex, or even my Baryonyx which all server combat roles better than the Giga.

8 minutes ago, Avaraxius said:

Dunno what your settings are in singleplayer or your stats of the giga. I play on pve got breeded gigas (higher lvl) maybe thats why but they are much better in damage then a rex of same lvl. Their stamina is bad thats for sure but they are a much better damagedealer and meat collector than a Rex or Spino. 

The stamina is probably the main reason I don't like them as a first choice when hunting. Their stam really is garbage. I go out for long meat runs and I don't want to stop every 2 mins to charge it. Much easier with a good rex, minus the little pebbles the rex gets stuck on lol. 

1 hour ago, Marksman338 said:

So I just got done taming my first Giga in over two years, its the first one I tamed solo and the first one I've ridden on and fought with. I was so excited when it finished tame since it was a high level (level 120 wild/177 when tamed) and I was going to go and kill two alpha Carnos in the area just to give it some levels. When I finally fought the Alphas, I received probably the greatest disappointment of my time gaming. The Giga, currently level 207 is less useful than my Rex three levels lower. The only stat that the Giga is superior in is health with it having 17,000 while my Rex (Level 204) has 5,000. But in the end, who cares if it has 17,000 health? My Spino (Level 224) has nearly 12,000 health, higher damage, and wont turn on me if I walk it off a small cliff or let it get below a certain health point. I know, I know, I have to level it up and all, but I've leveled it up 30 times, putting 28 points into damage and it still does twenty less than my Baryonyx thats over twenty levels lower, not to mention that my Spino which has over fifty more damage per hit and my Rex which does over two hundred more per hit. Not to mention that the Gigas stamina is so low it can run for like ten seconds before it needs a break while I can run my Spino from one end of the map to the other without needing a break. And look, I understand that a while ago there was an issue with Gigas being over powered in PvP and completely wiping out tribes without a Giga, but that doesn't mean that my Giga has to be worse than a Rex of the same level in almost every regard. Rex's are one of the easiest creatures to tame in the game while the Giga is time and resource consuming and its only superior state is health, which doesn;t even matter because if your going to have it fight anything that could actually do enough damage that the extra health is useful it'll probably just kill you?! Seriously, the Giga is literally just a Rex with less damage and stamina, but will turn against you at the slightest mistake. I don't want the Giga to be over powered, don't think that, I just want it to be even a little bit better than a Rex or Spino of similar levels. I don't expect many people to agree with me or for anything to change, and thats fine, I admittedly play solo so I don't know how it is on PvP and public servers, but I just felt the need to express my disappointment with the Giga.

Hold up. You say it does 20 less than your bary. Do you have damage indicators on?

You do know the base damage of a giga is 400? And bary 35(I think)?

The damage stat of the dino is not the pure actual damage output; it is a percentage of the values mentioned above. So your giga which is probably like at what, 100+%? (Not too familiar with the low dmg scaling of a giga) compares to a 1000+% or so bary

2 hours ago, Wazzamaniac said:

Hold up. You say it does 20 less than your bary. Do you have damage indicators on?

The damage stat of the dino is not the pure actual damage output; it is a percentage of the values mentioned above. So your giga which is probably like at what, 100+%? (Not too familiar with the low dmg scaling of a giga) compares to a 1000+% or so bary

This was my thought. The base damage of a Giga is so much higher so it really is about the melee percentage in this case. If you have a 50% melee Giga (240 damage) you're Bary has to be a 700% Bary to equal/surpass that output. 

The base damage doesn't matter the game type (single, official, unofficial) so perhaps you got a bad stat roll. 

Get another Giga opposite sex, breed them, get the melee stat mutations, imprint on it (HP on a 100% imprinted Giga goes up to 34k HP approx.), start to get the 230, 250, 270 hatch melee that you imprint on and you'll see a huge difference. A good saddled 400% melee Giga will easily solo a Titan and can even solo some wild Giga's. When you can two chomp a 150 Paracer and 3 chomp a 150 Bronto, you won't need the long meat runs. You can literally walk a fraction of the swamp once and come back with your 300 slots of meat. 

This was me on my worst stats/saddle/imprint combo.It is only about 90% imprinted, a 100 armor saddle and was a 260 damage base....which was leveled to near 500 damage.I have much better that wreck everything but wanted to test the worst.

As you can see from the screenshot it wrecked a 140 wild giga easy.So I would say any 100% imprinted over about 220ish base damage with a decent saddle can kill any level wild.

The thing with fighting wild gigas is even one as low as level 20 will do nearly the same damage as a high level one due to the way their bleed works.

20171227100412_1.jpg

Hey Marksman! As others have mentioned, don't confuse melee dmg% (the stat you see in the dinos inventory) with the base damage of the Dino. (What you don't see unless you go to ark wiki and look it up lol) it takes a Rex with roughly 700% melee stat to = the same damage output as a giga with 100% melee stat. That's to say you have to remember the giga works the same way so, for a 200% melee giga it would take a whopping 1400% Rex to do the same damage!!

Also I asked the question myself on these forums a few days ago and didn't get a answer so I tested it on my offical server with a Rex I had just collecting levels, boosted it's melee to 700, went on a meat run... A 100% giga still gets more meat, not alot, but still more. So, gigas are by far the best way to get meat when breeding!

I'm not sure how many, or even how you would do it with Rex's, but I know a giga as low as 25k health and 300% melee can kill a Titan.

Again I play on offical too, so if your on single player, your stats can be boosted and I can't rightfully speak for those.
The stamina is probably the main reason I don't like them as a first choice when hunting. Their stam really is garbage. I go out for long meat runs and I don't want to stop every 2 mins to charge it. Much easier with a good rex, minus the little pebbles the rex gets stuck on lol. 
Indeed Nickoli, the stamina on gigas suck for sure! But are you aware that a giga walking, is faster than a rex running!! This has been tested far too many times with my wife trying to keep up with me screaming "honey slow down I need stamina!!" On her Rex, while I'm over here screaming back "I'm only walking!?!" On my giga :) [emoji14] .

Moral of the story, if you hate stopping for stamina, you can walk a giga conserving your stamina and still out run a rex that's running and having to stop when it's low.

That is to say, unless you've used some tasty level ups to put into Rex speed!! Haven't tried it? Raise you a good stat Rex and then just level speed!! It's.. so.. much. Fun!! (I play on pve btw so I'm not supporting using Dino's or characters to out run players guns or anything. It's just simple fun to have a rex running light speed!)

15 minutes ago, anubis3691 said:

Hey Marksman! As others have mentioned, don't confuse melee dmg% (the stat you see in the dinos inventory) with the base damage of the Dino. (What you don't see unless you go to ark wiki and look it up lol) it takes a Rex with roughly 700% melee stat to = the same damage output as a giga with 100% melee stat. That's to say you have to remember the giga works the same way so, for a 200% melee giga it would take a whopping 1400% Rex to do the same damage!!

Also I asked the question myself on these forums a few days ago and didn't get a answer so I tested it on my offical server with a Rex I had just collecting levels, boosted it's melee to 700, went on a meat run... A 100% giga still gets more meat, not alot, but still more. So, gigas are by far the best way to get meat when breeding!

I'm not sure how many, or even how you would do it with Rex's, but I know a giga as low as 25k health and 300% melee can kill a Titan.

Again I play on offical too, so if your on single player, your stats can be boosted and I can't rightfully speak for those.Indeed Nickoli, the stamina on gigas suck for sure! But are you aware that a giga walking, is faster than a rex running!! This has been tested far too many times with my wife trying to keep up with me screaming "honey slow down I need stamina!!" On her Rex, while I'm over here screaming back "I'm only walking!?!" On my giga :)emoji14.png .

Moral of the story, if you hate stopping for stamina, you can walk a giga conserving your stamina and still out run a rex that's running and having to stop when it's low.

That is to say, unless you've used some tasty level ups to put into Rex speed!! Haven't tried it? Raise you a good stat Rex and then just level speed!! It's.. so.. much. Fun!! (I play on pve btw so I'm not supporting using Dino's or characters to out run players guns or anything. It's just simple fun to have a rex running light speed!)

He's probably got the same problem as me, can't keep finger off the sprint button xD

Until I disciplined myself into not using sprint I just used to fly with the giga on follow then just whistle it to attack targets, I knew it was fast enough not sprinting but just couldn't help it, think the flyer nerf helped with that as I stopped instantly pressing shift as soon as I mounted a dino xD

You have to raise and imprint them to get decent gigas.  Gigas get a massive benefit from imprinting because of how long they take to raise, so they get way more imprints than other dinos.  Our gigas pop out a 18k HP and 255 damage and by the time theyre fully raised theyre at about 35k HP and 350 dmg.  We typically get about 75-85% imprinting.  That plus the imprint bonus if you're the one who raised them, and you'll see they really do much better than rexes.

I think the problems you people have stem from the fact you're comparing a level 35 giga to a level 150+ rex. A level 150 giga is much more likely to have comparable stamina to a level 150 rex and then the dino will be much more enjoyable and the purpose will fall in its place. As for its purpose... well, it can't go into ANY cave and cannot participate in ANY bossfight. So for PvE the dino is only useful to fight titanosaurusses.

He's probably got the same problem as me, can't keep finger off the sprint button [emoji23]
Until I disciplined myself into not using sprint I just used to fly with the giga on follow then just whistle it to attack targets, I knew it was fast enough not sprinting but just couldn't help it, think the flyer nerf helped with that as I stopped instantly pressing shift as soon as I mounted a dino [emoji23]

Indeed I understand that! I actually, long before all the giga nerfs still thought the giga was slow.. when riding it, walking, sprinting, whichever it just *feels* slow. Perhaps because of how zoomed out the screen goes, and how far away the land looks.. much like you can be going 75mph and the trees are just zooming by but when you look at the mountain in the distance you never seem to get any closer. It took me a while to get off the whole Sprint all the time everywhere kick. I now normally run a until my stamina gets about 3/4s down, then walk till it's full again.
I could be wrong, but base damage aside, the speed of attack is also a big factor when it comes to DPS. 
I agree with you that DPS is a factor to look at when discussing what Dino's are better. Such as talking about Rex, thez, spino, etc.

On the topic of gigas vs anything though, unless you have below 100% melee damage it's not really a good factor I don't think. Speaking of base damage, a rex @ 100% melee would have to attack 7 times in the same time it takes a 100% giga to do one attack to get the same damage. I think the damage Gap is to high on giga for that to be used as a factor. That's just my opinion though.

6 hours ago, Wazzamaniac said:

480 base damage, but that only helps your point.

@Marksman338 As others have mentioned, the giga is probably the best meat gatherer, period.  I will say, though, that for PvE, the giga is extremely underwhelming.  The key problem is the stat nerf the giga receives upon tame.  For this reason, I feel that balance changes made for PvP should be excluded from PvE adjustments.  (The giga nerf, the flyer nerf, etc..)  In PvP, however, the giga is still extremely deadly.  This is what brought on @Lihaliemikuutio 's apparently derogatory comment about PvE players.  (PvP players have a sense of superiority over PvE players, for some reason.)   As @Wazzamaniac mentioned, though.  If you have 100% melee damage on a giga, you're  doing 480 damage.  If you have 100% damage on a rex, you're only doing 62 damage.  I personally believe that the giga is nigh useless until bred for PvE.   Once bred, the 120% movement speed gives a giga WALKING speed of 1800.  Comparing that to a rex's sprinting speed which, at 120%, is still slower than a giga's 100% walking speed.  They walk so fast and get so much meat once bred that you won't come close to touching it with any other dino.

7 hours ago, Lihaliemikuutio said:

pve player alert

Pfft, I am PVE and I find the giga to be a fantastic tame. Mine is wild tamed with kibble at 130, and it is my go to mount for both heavy meat collection, and for any pesky alpha rex or rock elemental hanging around. Once I got my boy, my rexes have sat in my base.  Still looking for a high level female so I can see what a good bred giga can do.

Archived