Pregairing for lengthy outage duing update warings

ArianaGaming

Hello,

I always look forward to updates. As updates corrects many things, adds features and add unwanted features (bugs). Ark updates are large and since it often is not up to the players internet bandwidth how long they take to download. I thought I share some of the preparations players can do.

Always keep a large amount of food for babies in the feeding trough. Do not wait for it to empty out.

Keep food in the babies inventories. As this just spoil it might seam silly but in case of a lengthy outage or long download time. More is better.

Cook easy and inexpensive Kibble for baby creature backup food. As a last resort use this method to extend life. As I never tested this myself I can not tell you the limitations but the idea is great. Due to the long spoil time. Should work for carnivores for sure.

Hope these simple tips helps some players out.

Regards,

Ariana

" Always keep a large amount of food for babies in the feeding trough. Do not wait for it to empty out. "

This is sadly pointless.
Due the way baby mechanics currently work, they will still starve to death when left alone offline.
We had three ravagers die that only needed a few more % to mature, and they all still died when we logged off due starvation.
And that's with 300 meat inside the feeding box. All the meat simply spoiled, as did the meat in their inventory.

It's about time Wildcard fixes this issue where baby's food consumption goes wonky when offline.

35 minutes ago, Olivar said:

" Always keep a large amount of food for babies in the feeding trough. Do not wait for it to empty out. "

This is sadly pointless.
Due the way baby mechanics currently work, they will still starve to death when left alone offline.
We had three ravagers die that only needed a few more % to mature, and they all still died when we logged off due starvation.
And that's with 300 meat inside the feeding box. All the meat simply spoiled, as did the meat in their inventory.

It's about time Wildcard fixes this issue where baby's food consumption goes wonky when offline.

I thought this was an ORP problem ? 

Hello @Olivar ,

How are you?

Did you find out if the meat spoiled or over-consumption during offline? As you talk about a bug the more information you have the better. No info no solution basically.

Thanks @Saeora I did not think of this. As I never used cooked meat for babies or recipe food (Ideas?).

So for carnivores use a couple of stacks of cooked meat and for herbivores use mejo-berries instead of other berries in the dino inventory.

Still I am much interested if anyone have recipe using note.

Hope some baby creatures survive because of Saeora. Thank you.

Regards,

Ariana

This is sadly pointless.
Hey Oliver, I'm curious because I've seen this before in another thread, I may have actually already asked but I can't remember.

Is this a on PC, or PS4 that your having the issue? Pve/PvP?

I play on pve Xbox one, offical, and I have yet to have a dino die when offline.

How do you combat the issue? Do you just have someone on all the time, or log on before the Dino runs out of food and just refill it? I ask, incase the plague your having finds its way to me..

I only have dino's die due to starvation if there is a roll back of the server that removes food from inventory/trough or when there use to be a not eating bug back on legacy that I haven't experienced yet on the new server's. I use multiple troughs and top them constantly plus leave an emergency trough full of cooked meat and jerky plus put at least 2 rows (sometimes 3 depending on dino) of cooked meat and jerky in their inventory with a stack of preserving salt. 

I have noticed after mass breeding them this weekend that ravager's consume a lot of food. Even as an adult. Place a ravager next to a rex away from a trough and the difference is noticeable in what they consume in the same time period. I actually would like to compare to a Giga. I may do that this weekend. So as babies there consumption is quite high and again as juveniles and even their rate compared to other adolescents. That's my limited experience whilst raising 10 (5 and 5) this past weekend. I actually split them to different sides of the room 2 and 3 so they wouldn't drain the first trough as fast as it was being drained. 

19 minutes ago, anubis3691 said:

Hey Oliver, I'm curious because I've seen this before in another thread, I may have actually already asked but I can't remember.

Is this a on PC, or PS4 that your having the issue? Pve/PvP?

I play on pve Xbox one, offical, and I have yet to have a dino die when offline.

How do you combat the issue? Do you just have someone on all the time, or log on before the Dino runs out of food and just refill it? I ask, incase the plague your having finds its way to me..

PC Version. PvP Cluster with ORP enabled, Unofficial hosted.

Babies don't seem to consume food when they are in stasis.
Because we counted and we stored 300 meat in the feeding box before logging and 200 meat in their inventory.
When we logged in, we got the death entries in the tribe log, and found 300 spoiled meat in the feeding box and 200 spoiled meat in the corpse drops on the ground.

Combat it?
Don't log off till matured....
We have high baby rates so usually only takes one to two hours, but it means not doing else for us that evening.

Because we counted and we stored 300 meat in the feeding box before logging and 200 meat in their inventory.
When we logged in, we got the death entries in the tribe log, and found 300 spoiled meat in the feeding box and 200 spoiled meat in the corpse drops on the ground.

Combat it?
We have high baby rates so usually only takes one to two hours, but it means not doing else for us that evening.
Well I hope they get it figured out for you guys. That seems like it would be very aggravating to deal with. Hopefully we won't see that issue on Xbox either.

1 minute ago, anubis3691 said:
6 minutes ago, Olivar said:

Combat it?

Well I hope they get it figured out for you guys. That seems like it would be very aggravating to deal with. Hopefully we won't see that issue on Xbox either.

Sure is.
We had three baby ravagers with the mutations we wanted...
After a whole weekend of breeding.
And then you log off, losing them all for not even having made an error.

That's the game just saying : raptor you, you can't have them.

12 hours ago, Olivar said:

This is sadly pointless.

It's ORP that does it, I'm certain.

happened to me several times on official, even after their alleged fix.

Since I started hosting our legacy save and turned ORP off it has not happened once. We used make sure we were online when they hit 10% as it seemed to be the only way to stop it. Now that I have it turned off we have logged off dozens of times before they hit 10% with it not happening once.

13 hours ago, Olivar said:

This is sadly pointless.

This isn't an ORP problem or a baby mechanic problem. It's a server problem.

The way it works is that "sometimes" babies transfer between the baby and juvenile phase bugs out. When this happens the baby must be actively rendered in on the server when past 10% maturation. Therefore if you have all logged out and there is no one around to render them in. They will be incapable of eating from troughs and starve to death.

I'd say in my experience 10% of the time it occurs. And it's a real pain when it occurs on hard raises like gigas.

Also it's probably worth mentioning that I don't think using dodo kibble as a back up works anymore...

Yesterday I threw some in while I was running errands and when I got back they had eaten all the dodo kibble before eating the rest of the raw/cooked meat that was in there...

Wasn't happy when a stack of 100 had been reduced to just 3.

Can anyone else confirm this happening to them?

3 hours ago, edskelly said:

@Jacira

Have you actually played on a server with no ORP while this bug is around.

I assure you that we have done everything that used to cause it for us(off-line when they hit 10%,not in render etc) with no bug at all. And we have raised over 100 babies. 20+ gigas at once

It's all about the ORP

Na haven't played unofficial since they boosted official rates from 1 to 1.5x...

I'll take your word for it. Maybe it's got something to do with the different AI mechanic when a dino enters ORP.

6 hours ago, Jacira said:

This isn't an ORP problem or a baby mechanic problem. It's a server problem.

The way it works is that "sometimes" babies transfer between the baby and juvenile phase bugs out. When this happens the baby must be actively rendered in on the server when past 10% maturation. Therefore if you have all logged out and there is no one around to render them in. They will be incapable of eating from troughs and starve to death.

I'd say in my experience 10% of the time it occurs. And it's a real pain when it occurs on hard raises like gigas.

The babies were a few % away from being matured.
This has nothing to do with the baby and juvenile phase bug.
Please read what is being posted.

7 hours ago, Olivar said:

The babies were a few % away from being matured.
This has nothing to do with the baby and juvenile phase bug.
Please read what is being posted.

Perhaps in your case I was mistaken, but the thread itself is talking about ways to keep your dinos safe while offline so bringing up the baby to juvi offline render bug is still relevant to the discussion.
Also I have never ever had babies starve while offline if they're past the baby phase. Nor have I even heard of it happening to anyone else... So I wonder if this is happening only to people on unofficial server, or are you on official?

1 minute ago, Jacira said:

Perhaps in your case I was mistaken, but the thread itself is talking about ways to keep your dinos safe while offline so bringing up the baby to juvi offline render bug is still relevant to the discussion.
Also I have never ever had babies starve while offline if they're past the baby phase. Nor have I even heard of it happening to anyone else... So I wonder if this is happening only to people on unofficial server, or are you on official?

Unofficial, and that's not even relevant.
This is not how raising them is supposed to work, so I don't care if would happen only in PS4 SinglePlayer, It needs to be addressed.

35 minutes ago, Olivar said:

Unofficial, and that's not even relevant.
This is not how raising them is supposed to work, so I don't care if would happen only in PS4 SinglePlayer, It needs to be addressed.

Well no, if it was happening in PS4 SinglePlayer then that would be more important because that would mean it's a problem in the core game code. But since there is no persistent world in single player, that's an impossible scenario.

If it's only happening on unofficial however, then there might not be anything Wild Card can do to help you. It might be a conflict with ORP in your server hoster's settings or even the providers servers itself. And this is why I don't play unofficial because when Wild Card aren't directly responsible for the stability of the server then they aren't liable to have it fixed.

And by extension playing on unofficial is very relevant.

5 minutes ago, Jacira said:

Well no, if it was happening in PS4 SinglePlayer then that would be more important because that would mean it's a problem in the core game code. But since there is no persistent world in single player, that's an impossible scenario. If it's only happening on unofficial however, then there might not be anything Wild Card can do to help you. It might be a conflict with ORP in your server hoster's settings or even the providers servers itself. And this is why I don't play unofficial because when Wild Card aren't directly responsible for the stability of the server then they aren't liable to have it fixed.

And by extension playing on unofficial is very relevant.

God another one.
Just because it's not happening in your little official bubble doesn't mean it's less important.
This is an issue and more people are already voicing their concerns about this.
The issue has been happening for quite a long time actually.

And there's even official servers running ORP.
So get of your high horse.
A bug is a bug and needs to be fixed. Whatever you think is relevant as to what constitutes a valid setup is your opinion, and in no way relevant to the discussion here.

Archived