Anyone can teach me how to play?

Triboy

I've found that I HAVE to play single player just to learn all the basic mechanics involved. I boost all the speeds so I level faster, gather and harvest faster, etc...

Otherwise start by playing and learn as much as you can while playing. 

Its really all about the engrams. Learn the basic ones first. How to craft them and how to be as fast as you can at crafting them. Keeps the craft/die/lose stuff cycle less frustrating if you keep your game simple for a while. 

I only really play our Aberration map at the moment but for the Island I would recommend the following 3 sites to get started:

https://ark.ginfo.gg/islands <-- Interactive Resource Map

http://www.dododex.com/ <-- Taming calculator

https://ark.gamepedia.com/ARK_Survival_Evolved_Wiki <-- Official ARK WIKI.

Guys and girls in the forums are very helpful if you have any specific questions.

Just be prepared to die, a lot to begin with.

If your on single player, keep spawning in he same area and try to learn the lay of the land before investing too heavily in building up, a 2x2 hut with a bed, box, smithy and pestle/mortar is all you will need for a while. 

Official pvp servers will be relatively hostile, official pve is normally difficult to find a place to set up, but there are plenty of unofficial servers for both, I'd advise talking to people on the server before deciding to stay there, you can usually get a good feel for the population that way, and a lot of pve players enjoy helping out the little guys.

Also, There is a YouTube video on pretty much every mechanic in the game, and don't be afraid to ask, there have probably been stupider questions asked before.

On 17/01/2018 at 12:28 PM, Triboy said:

I bought game 1 hour ago, still downloading. I have tried it before for like 3 hours. Now i am really into it and want someone to teach me how to do it right. I bet its even more fun playing together with someone.

Start on an official pvp server, you will get bored real quick otherwise. Single player is just a waste of time as it doesnt teach you how to survive, just throw a hut down anywhere and tame what you want, same with pve no danger means no fun and why tame anything stronger than a bear if your only fighting wild dinos?. Playing sp or pve or unofficial will just leave you as a 2000 hour noob,  start in pvp, speak to people join a tribe you will have a much better experience and learn a lot more. 

Stay away from unofficial until you have a good few hundred hours in official. Unofficial ruins the game with crazy high gathering and taming rates and can close down without a moments notice. 

4 minutes ago, SmokeyB said:

start in pvp, speak to people join a tribe you will have a much better experience and learn a lot more.

Until your big head alpha leader boots you for using too many narcotics during a tame or some other petty stuff. Stop thinking PvP is superior. It's superior if you want to destroy somebodies stuff, that's it. If you want to tame, and breed, and build, and generally live in a community PvE is better as you can do it at your leisure.

PvP vs PvE is so boring at this point but I guess some people just can't let it go. Let people decide which way they want to play the game by you know, playing the game. 

I've played both. I prefer taming and breeding and trading, give me PvE

33 minutes ago, SmokeyB said:

Start on an official pvp server, you will get bored real quick otherwise. Single player is just a waste of time as it doesnt teach you how to survive, just throw a hut down anywhere and tame what you want, same with pve no danger means no fun and why tame anything stronger than a bear if your only fighting wild dinos?. Playing sp or pve or unofficial will just leave you as a 2000 hour noob,  start in pvp, speak to people join a tribe you will have a much better experience and learn a lot more. 

Stay away from unofficial until you have a good few hundred hours in official. Unofficial ruins the game with crazy high gathering and taming rates and can close down without a moments notice. 

The last thing I would do as a noob would be to start on a official PvP server... Starting off single player is certainly the best IMO and certainly not a waste of time, you get to learn how the game works at your own pace. Then once your used to the game mechanics, jump into official PvP or PvE if you so wish to go official, or find a decent unofficial.

23 minutes ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

PvP vs PvE is so boring at this point but I guess some people just can't let it go. Let people decide which way they want to play the game by you know, playing the game. 

Yeah the whole PvE vs PvP is getting a bit boring as is the official vs unofficial argument, the debate gets tiring after a while. Played my stint on official PvE but got tired with the grind, so I enjoy the sped up play of unofficial. To each their own and let people play how they want to play as you say. 

The best piece of advice I can give you is this:  Learn how to not die.  Nothing else is more important than this.  Against another suggestion, don't change the stat growth of yourself or dinos.  If you learn on single player, that's fine, but be sure to learn at official rates.  You're going to die, a lot, in the beginning.  This is the best time to learn how to NOT die.  When you learn that, everything else will come.

40 minutes ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

Until your big head alpha leader boots you for using too many narcotics during a tame or some other petty stuff. Stop thinking PvP is superior. It's superior if you want to destroy somebodies stuff, that's it. If you want to tame, and breed, and build, and generally live in a community PvE is better as you can do it at your leisure.

Its not that pvp is better, too each their own, pve if that's what you enjoy 

Its just that this is a survival game and on PVE there is nothing to survive against, you can throw up a wooden hut on any beach put a row of spike walls around it and you have beat all pve content, only thing left is breeding and building. But you can't breed as servers on tame cap as nothing dies and you can't build as there are bases and pillars everywhere. This leads to people getting bored and quiting the game. Also it doesn't teach them anything about the game as if they tried that on a pvp server they would get wrecked every day and wonder why. The exact same problem with single player. 

A new player to the game should definitely start on pvp so they can see the whole game as it was intended. Then if they can't handle or don't like the way pvp servers are they can make an informed decision to move to PvE or unofficial. Worst thing I could imagine is someone starts on PVE finds it real boring, flys through all the content and quits. Then they tell their friends don't buy ark its boring, better building games out there, better monster collecting games out there but as a fighting to survive, doing what ever it takes to become dictator of the server and keep hold of your power, 30 vs 30 base raiding dino fighting game with guns ark has no equal. 

Hello @Triboy,

Welcome to ARK. Start in single player on the Island map. We be happy to help you in this forum :) soon enough we get to eat you.

As you can avoid many hurdles by just running to survive in the beginning use the plus sign next to Movement SPEED as you get levels to level up. When I started I did not even know how to level up so that should tell you how much I struggled in the beginning.

Next is how to drink water.

Good Luck,

Ariana

30 minutes ago, AngrySaltire said:

The last thing I would do as a noob would be to start on a official PvP server... 

I started on hardcore pvp solo and it got me hooked to the game, the politics, the tribes getting wiped the trying to survive it was amazing, I don't feel I would have put so many hours into the game if I had started single player.  And a pve serve would have absolutely turned me off the game as the few I have been on had bases everywhere on top of each other and no dinos even spawned, just a wasteland of open ground with pillars everywhere not even a tree or rock or a dodo to kill for hide. 

10 minutes ago, SmokeyB said:

Its not that pvp is better, too each their own, pve if that's what you enjoy 

Its just that this is a survival game and on PVE there is nothing to survive against, you can throw up a wooden hut on any beach put a row of spike walls around it and you have beat all pve content, only thing left is breeding and building. But you can't breed as servers on tame cap as nothing dies and you can't build as there are bases and pillars everywhere. This leads to people getting bored and quiting the game. Also it doesn't teach them anything about the game as if they tried that on a pvp server they would get wrecked every day and wonder why. The exact same problem with single player. 

A new player to the game should definitely start on pvp so they can see the whole game as it was intended. Then if they can't handle or don't like the way pvp servers are they can make an informed decision to move to PvE or unofficial. Worst thing I could imagine is someone starts on PVE finds it real boring, flys through all the content and quits. Then they tell their friends don't buy ark its boring, better building games out there, better monster collecting games out there but as a fighting to survive, doing what ever it takes to become dictator of the server and keep hold of your power, 30 vs 30 base raiding dino fighting game with guns ark has no equal. 

I'm sorry, but the current state of PvP is also NOT what was originally intended.  It's safe to assume that the INTENDED meta game was what we find in the lore.   Each tribe behaving differently, but not just a wipe fest.  In the game's lore, only 1 tribe behaves that way at all.  The current state of PvP is to strive to become alpha then wipe everyone as they're starting.  This is clearly NOT what the devs intended and will make people quit the game LONG before the boredom of PvE.

15 minutes ago, SmokeyB said:

And a pve serve would have absolutely turned me off the game as the few I have been on had bases everywhere on top of each other and no dinos even spawned, just a wasteland of open ground with pillars everywhere not even a tree or rock or a dodo to kill for hide. 

I must have been on a good PvE server then. Bases were not on top of each other, dino spawns were good, and the pillaring wasnt to bad. Aim for a lower population PvE server and you should be golden. Saying that I have no idea on the current state of the official servers but good ones must still exist.

As other people have said it would be dependant on what OP wants. Tribe war fare then PvP. Running around taming dinos, building and exploring deffinatly PvE.

Unless joining a group of friends (not the case in this thread) considerate players start in single player so as to learn the controls / basics without disrupting others game play.

Since considerate players are exceptionally rare, you'll need to let us know what type of game play you prefer before this thread can actually become constructive.

In the meantime I would suggest engaging with the community on the forums with constructive posts until you become a full forum member (instead of in early bird status).  At that point you will be able to see the Tribes section of the forums and can pick which tribe sounds best for you to join as a new player.

Archived