Bullet soaking dinos

metsfan92286

I know this is not a new topic, but I feel once again it must be brought up.  It's just absolutely ridiculous how easy it is to soak bullets with stegos.  We just fought off a raid on our base, but in the process they managed to waste over 20,000 bullets before the stegos finally died.  A reminder on the materials to craft 20,000 heavy turret ammo:

• 10000 metal ingots
  • 90000 gunpowder

After the stegos finally died, we found 85 armor saddles and around 35,000 hitpoints.  This is absolutely ridiculous.  Soaking dinos don't just need a nerf.  They need to be smashed into the ground.  I would suggest the following to fix this issue with any of the following changes:

• Saddles MUST BREAK when taking damage from turret ammo.  I would say 1 durability damage per turret shot.  Without these crazy high armor saddles, they could still soak a stupid amount of bullets, but it would go a bit quicker
  • Stegos must have their resistance to bullets completely eliminated and their health reduced by at least 50%.
  • Remove the ability to place C4 while on a stego (SERIOUSLY WILDCARD?!)

This woudln't make raiding bases impossible.  It would just require you to bring more stegos and backup saddles. It would also add at least SOME kind of cost to leaving a stego eating bullets in the form of your expensive saddles getting busted.  And honestly, is that such a big deal?  Why should hours and hours of farming bullets be negated in minutes by a single stego?  Why should offline base defenses be rendered completely useless by a dino that you can ride at level 20? It makes no damn sense.  

This needs to be addressed.  Thank you.

P.S. I know there are counters to this such as picking up the stegos and dragging them away and putting some turrets on "Survivor only" (of course this requires you to be online).  I'm not a scrub, I understand this game and the current PvP meta quite well.  Everyone who PvPs knows this is broken.  

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

20k bullets isnt really alot.

We had 100 heavy turrets on the only entrance to our base,all 96 slots full on everyone.

Thats 480k bullets..........they never got drained and our base was the only one left standing on a 'server wipe'.

The only reason they stopped was because it was taking too long to soak.

But i do understand what you are saying,the ratio of grinding bullets and turrets to how easy it is to breed stegos/brontos/ turtles and tame karkinos is way off. 

19 minutes ago, oScottieHo said:

20k bullets isnt really alot.

We had 100 heavy turrets on the only entrance to our base,all 96 slots full on everyone.

Thats 480k bullets..........they never got drained and our base was the only one left standing on a 'server wipe'.

The only reason they stopped was because it was taking too long to soak.

But i do understand what you are saying,the ratio of grinding bullets and turrets to how easy it is to breed stegos/brontos/ turtles and tame karkinos is way off. 

I know 20k is not a lot of bullets, and it's not even close to all the bullets we had (this was just in the towers we had at one of the entrances to our base), but it's just the sheer ease which with they could waste hours and hours of farming, and it cost them basically nothing (well I guess we got the saddles, but honestly that's because they were sh*t).  As you said, the ratio is way off.  

I’ve thought about this subject a lot.

They could reduce the health and armor of the soakers, but then they have to reduce all dino healths to kee it balanced, then players would get a buff and bosses would need to be nerfed.

you could add a straight buff to turrets of 30 to 50%, so you wouldnt have to rebalance the rest of the game, but then players would get rekt too quickly by turrets.

Here is my solution, you add % damage on top of the current straight damage. You could for example make each shot of a normal auto turret do +.25% damage per shot and +1% damage per shot on heavy turrets. This does not sound like a lot but it is! Maybe its too much and it should be .1% for a normal turret and .4% for a heavy turret, but the question would be does this percentage based damage ignore armor??

I agree with this.  It is way WAAAAAY too easy to attack at the moment.  Tek Turrets are a great counter to stegos, but the cost and upkeep on them is ridiculous, especially compared to how easy it is to just switch to a bronto or paracer tank.  WC has been severely lacking on this issue since launch.

Recently I was dropped from super high while riding a 32k HP stego (65 armor saddle).  I landed with a quarter of the stegos HP on a 25 turret FOB.  4 enemies were piking/shooting me and all the turrets were focusing me.  I was still able to walk up to the fob, throw a C4 and blow all of the turrets.  After that, I still was able to yutz around tail whipping all the enemies until the 4 turrets they had on the ground that I missed plus the enemy players were able to kill me.

I mean, come on... That stego took 3-4 hours of my life to raise over the course of 2 days.  The saddle was free from a drop.  The C4 clicker was free from a drop.  The 2 C4 I used I actually crafted, maybe I think, coulda also been from a drop.  To what?  Blow 25 auto turrets?  It's just silly at this point and WC doesn't seem to care at all.

1 minute ago, INFCTDxGAMR said:

currently Crabs are better than stegos as far as im concern for draining bullets 

Why drain when you can have those bullets for yourself by blowing up turrets? You can grab a pair of C4ed stegos/turtles with a crab, jump/throw them into base, and then retrieve them safely. Rinse and repeat.

Just now, DarthaNyan said:

Why drain when you can have those bullets for yourself by blowing up turrets? You can grab a pair of C4ed stegos/turtles with a crab, jump/throw them into base, and then retrieve them safely. Rinse and repeat.

hahahahahha yes!! love throwing stegos with the crab!! Edward Stego hands  lol

It's just a reminder that wildcard couldn't care less about its paying customers or creating a game that's fun to play or even remotely balanced. No one wants a pizza on it with 350 toppings but that's what wildcard has in the oven. They made everything beyond complex and any simplicity that was existent in previous versions of ark has been eradicated. Too many features and dinos. This game is absolutely atrocious in its current state. Most disgustingly broken game I've ever played , and I've had the luxury of playing big rigs over the road racing. 

This is NOT a FINISHED game!

I want smarter dinos we can use as defense.

Arthropleura spit reducing saddle armor. 

Patrol paths for "smarter" dinos like raptors.

Dinos chasing to the edge of a cliff, but not jumping over it. 

Chalico able to wield spear bolts (armor piercing), boulders (extra damage), chain bola (stop targets in their tracks) On turret mode.

Imagine being able to mix in some chalico defenders. I don't know their current rock throw damage, but let's say it's 500 for a 300% chalico. Someone comes up with a saddles stego and can mitigate idk 80% damage. Each rock does 100 damage.

Equip it with a catapult boulder. It consumes it as ammo, but now each rock does a base of 1000 damage. 200 to the stego after mitigation.

Give it a spear bolt. Now all 500 damage goes straight to the stego.

Give two chalico spear bolts on long range and a third chalico chain bola on short range. Stego gets close, being pelted, gets held in position and killed.

Mix in your short range Arthro to reduce saddle even further.

Sure you could snipe those tames away with a fab sniper or fire arrows, but each of them has their own health pool and saddles. It could take you a long time. They could also have a daeodon boxes in underneath on passive healing.

I really want to use dinos on defense. I really do. But they just don't work right now.

I guess the real reason they can't get anything done is because they don't have any employees to get it done and no one wants the jobs. Right now on their website it says these jobs are currently available:

Guess they could really use that QA manager about now 

27 minutes ago, DeweyDecimal said:

I think damaging saddles is DEFINITELY a mechanic that should have been brought in during the 'preview' phase. 

Saddles already have a durability stat, but as far as I know, Roll Rats are the only ones whose saddles take damage and break (so I've heard, anyway) 

I would like saddles to be breakable but require a LOT less resources to craft. I couldnt imagine repairing high armor saddles, they may as wel remove the top tier saddles from the game if we went that route.

49 minutes ago, Rofelo said:

I would like saddles to be breakable but require a LOT less resources to craft. I couldnt imagine repairing high armor saddles, they may as wel remove the top tier saddles from the game if we went that route.

I would suggest that the saddles should only break due to PvP combat (i.e. damage from player crafted metal weapons and ammo only).  I agree that this mechanic would be too punishing for PvE.  

Saddle workaround doesn't even have to be about the durability going down.  Have it reduce single hits as normal, but have it lose its armor effectiveness over time to sustained dps.

For example with a 50 armor saddle (and all of these numbers can be tweaked to balance):

During the first 0 to 5 secs of damage, armor is still treated as 50.

From 5+ to 10 secs of sustained damage, armor works at 50% effectiveness.  We're now at 25 armor.

And from 10+ secs of constant damage, armor now works at 10%.  5 armor for being overwhelmed with attacks.

Armor could be reset to being fully effective after a period of 5 or 10 seconds without taking damage.

6 hours ago, Mjsechrest said:

I guess the real reason they can't get anything done is because they don't have any employees to get it done and no one wants the jobs. Right now on their website it says these jobs are currently available:

Guess they could really use that QA manager about now 

You should apply. You really seem to know what you're talking about.

Archived