Advice/Guide for new Prim+ Players

DeweyDecimal

Just thought I'd make a post with all the helpful tips and things I've picked up over my time on prim+ servers

Early Game

Pitchfork. Pitchfork. Use the pitchfork. 15 wood. All it takes. Much more cost-effective than spears, which require flint and fiber, and you'll want that fiber later. 

Traps and bait. Dodos are an easy source of poultry to make fish trap bait, and once you've made bait for a dead fall trap you can use the meat it catches to make more, just a few traps and you've got easy, endless meat. 

Fires and Firewood: Learn lumber station and fresh firewood as soon as you can. I know you want to get that lumber house built, but crafting fresh firewood is essential, as it spoils to dry firewood, and that stuff burns for ages. Keeps you from having to get wood as often. END DEFORESTATION 

MIDGAME

So you've built your lumber house, time to fill it with dinos and stuff. 

You'll want a handmill, crafted at the construction table, to replace your mortar and pestle. The handmill holds significantly more materials. 

While you're at it, learn Bonemeal Fertilizer, and get to collecting Keratin. Not Chitin. Keratin. You can grind out quality fertilizer en masse, with a decent carnivore to collect the resources (spoiled meat, hide and keratin, you'll need charcoal too) I've maintained some pretty large greenhouses, and banks of plant x, without ever taming a beetle. Can't emphasize enough how useful this is, especially since you're going to want a lot of crop plots to grow all the fancy prim+ crops. 

Rice. Fresh rice can be harvested from crop plots, and turned to dried rice in a smokehouse. Dried rice can be cooked in a cooking pot or Cauldron. Cooked rice doesn't spoil, and is a Great way to stay fed. 

Smokehouse. One of the most common questions I see is 'is there a fridge?' yes. It's the smokehouse. It runs on sparkpowder. The next most common question is about making jerky. Again the answer is smokehouse. 

Jerky is super easy on prim +, you'll need:

Cooked Meat and Cooked Prime, obviously, 

Organic oil (from grinding seeds or cooking fat from Phiomia or mammoths) 

Crude Oil (from nodes, beetles, basils) 

Salt (from grinding crystal) 

Sparkpowder

All that stuff in a smokehouse, and soon you'll have more jerky than you can handle. Salted jerky works the same as regular jerky when making kibble, the name just tells you how it was made. 

A few resource notes:

Steel is made from iron ingots and carbon in a forge

Glass is made from crystal and silica pearls in a forge

Leather is made over time by leaving salt and hide in a tanning rack

That's all for now, I'm sure I've forgotten lots, feel free to ask questions, if I don't know, someone else likely does

Archived