[Tool] Larkator standalone dino locator

coldino

I've got a big feature request, inspired by a minor bug.

The minor bug is that I have to wipe the temp data in between map loads if I'm loading maps from different servers.

The feature request would be some way to easily load multiple maps and switch between them (each in a tab, maybe? but maybe not...) along with a way to search for tames by name ACROSS MAPS. I get from the temp-wiping to this feature request because one of the most common uses I've made of Larkator has been answering the question "Where is <<critter name>>?" and looking for an answer of the form, "On the scorched earth map, at the base near the green obelisk". Right now that means:

1. Load a map
  2. Click to show tames
  3. Click on the species type of the target
  4. Optionally narrow search by level/gender
  5. Scan the results list on the right (hovering over each result to get the tooltip)
  6. If the dino isn't on the list, repeat these steps for each map until found.

I'd like to replace step 3 by typing a name or name fragment, and eliminate step 6 somehow entirely. Steps 4-5 would of course remain for disambiguation, but possibly could include the dino names on the results table so that I don't have to hover-scan for tooltips?

Looking forward to your thoughts.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Wumpus said:

I've got a big feature request, inspired by a minor bug.

Big, indeed!

First though, I'd like to explore why you need to clear TEMP. Larkator should keep a separate directory in temp for each map in order to allow switching of maps without causing a re-convert through ark-tools. If you are loading the *same* map from multiple servers I can see that would be a problem...

I think I'm unlikely to implement full multi-map/server support in Larkator as it would require a significant re-write. However, there are a couple of smaller things I could do to make your life easier:

1. Allow multiple ARKs to be configured in the settings window and a simple way to switch between them somewhere in the main window.
  2. Add a search by name function.

How does this sound?

I'm reluctant to add names and other details to the results list as the window is already quite wide. Maybe something collapsible... I'll have to experiment.

3 hours ago, coldino said:

Big, indeed!

Yeah, I should have probably said HUGE. Sorry for even requesting such a thing. :)

First though, I'd like to explore why you need to clear TEMP. Larkator should keep a separate directory in temp for each map in order to allow switching of maps without causing a re-convert through ark-tools. If you are loading the *same* map from multiple servers I can see that would be a problem...

I decided to make a really nice reproducible test case for you to examine, wiped my temp data and config file (found two config files buried in different directories in appdata/local, saved both just in case and annotated them with the path where they were found), and haven't been able to figure out how to make the problem happen again. Basically if I recall correctly dinos from one map were showing up on the other.

Actually, could this be because of your cache existing at all? I mean something like this could be occuring:

1. I download three maps (Island, aberration, scorched earth) from my cluster.
  2. I use Larkator and peruse one or more of them.
  3. I download updated maps later -- after dinos have potentially moved between maps.
  4. Larkator pulls stale data from the cache instead of reading the fresh copy of the map?

I think I'm unlikely to implement full multi-map/server support in Larkator as it would require a significant re-write.

Totally understandable.

However, there are a couple of smaller things I could do to make your life easier:

1. Allow multiple ARKs to be configured in the settings window and a simple way to switch between them somewhere in the main window.
  2. Add a search by name function.

How does this sound?

That sounds fantastic, and 90% of what I was hoping for. Thanks for considering doing it. :D

I'm reluctant to add names and other details to the results list as the window is already quite wide. Maybe something collapsible... I'll have to experiment.

Hahaha... I always forget to consider things like that as I have an ultra-wide display. Don't worry about that part then.

8 minutes ago, Wumpus said:

Actually, could this be because of your cache existing at all? I mean something like this could be occuring:

1. I download three maps (Island, aberration, scorched earth) from my cluster.
  2. I use Larkator and peruse one or more of them.
  3. I download updated maps later -- after dinos have potentially moved between maps.
  4. Larkator pulls stale data from the cache instead of reading the fresh copy of the map?

It compares the timestamp on the ark with the timestamp of the classes.json and re-runs the conversion if newer.

If you are downloading arks from a server you would get into trouble if you moved a dino then only downloaded one of the maps. You would either lose a dino or get it listed on both maps. Downloading both relevant maps should always end up with a consistent result... let me know if that isn't the case.

17 minutes ago, Wumpus said:

Oh! If you do implement both search-by-name and easy-map-switch, could you please try to ensure that the search-by-name field does not get cleared when switching maps?

Good idea.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, bdubyah said:

Would this be able to show where Surface Alpha Reaper Kings are? I know the S+ Transmitter can with its scan tool, but I don't have it yet.

It should show absolutely everything that's present on the map. But remember - if they haven't spawned yet they can't be shown.

10 hours ago, Onimusha759 said:

Now if only we could get this on ps4...

Yeah... Nope. xD

Larkator is amazing. In my case, I've been slowly working on a modified setup somewhat inspired by how SKRP has their server set up. No flyers, no carnivores larger than allos, and other spawn modifications. It's tricky because I'm modifying the overall dino spawn count as well as replacements and modified spawn weights for some critters, which can require a lot of little adjustments to avoid unintended spawn imbalances. (First attempt led to a microraptor invasion. LOL)  Balancing and adjusting my numbers is soooo much easier with this tool because I can get visual feedback on how my changes affect the numbers and distribution of the affected creatures.

The only issue I've encountered is that the tame data wouldn't update unless I manually deleted it from the temp folder. I had done a full wipe of the save including all player data, and after starting over fresh, when I loaded the new one, Larkator was still displaying tames from before. It updated after I deleted the temp files and reloaded the save.

There is also a display offset that trends east-ward. The western side of the Island map is dead-on, but it drifts as you go east. HOWEVER, this offset matches my in-game map offset so it's apparently the hand-drawn map image itself that is inaccurately proportioned. In-game, this is actually good if I'm hunting something because my marker will still match up with the displayed location in Larkator. 

17 hours ago, Mahnogard said:

The only issue I've encountered is that the tame data wouldn't update unless I manually deleted it from the temp folder. I had done a full wipe of the save including all player data, and after starting over fresh, when I loaded the new one, Larkator was still displaying tames from before. It updated after I deleted the temp files and reloaded the save.

Odd. Larkator simply compares the timestamp of the save with the timestamp of the generated classes file. Next time this happens, could you report back the timestamps? Maybe it's a DST issue.

17 hours ago, Mahnogard said:

There is also a display offset that trends east-ward. The western side of the Island map is dead-on, but it drifts as you go east. HOWEVER, this offset matches my in-game map offset so it's apparently the hand-drawn map image itself that is inaccurately proportioned. In-game, this is actually good if I'm hunting something because my marker will still match up with the displayed location in Larkator.

Yeah, I noticed that too. The visuals are correctly lined up with the lat/long produced by ark-tools, and as you spotted that also lines up well with in-game coords - but not the map. the offset gets worse as you go further east. I may add a fudge factor to the visuals, but it would only be a best-guess kinda thing.

Glad you're finding it useful. Don't forget that hibernation means you won't necessarily see changes to map-wide spawns if you don't turn it off.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Excited to get this tool going. I am having trouble installing on Windows Server 2016. First time running it, the program installed some librarys and I was asked to reboot. After reboot I get the error: 

"An error occurred trying to download 'https://raw.githubusercontent.com/coldino/Larkator-release/master/publish/LarkatorGUI.application'.

See the setup log file located at 'C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\1\VSDF97F.tmp\install.log' for more information."

Here is the log:

"The following properties have been set:
Property: [AdminUser] = true {boolean}
Property: [InstallMode] = HomeSite {string}
Property: [NTProductType] = 3 {int}
Property: [ProcessorArchitecture] = AMD64 {string}
Property: [VersionNT] = 10.0.0 {version}
Running checks for package 'Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7 (x86 and x64)', phase BuildList
Reading value 'Release' of registry key 'HKLM\Software\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4\Full'
Read integer value 460805
Setting value '460805 {int}' for property 'DotNet47Full_Release'
Reading value 'v4' of registry key 'HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\OS Integration'
Read integer value 1
Setting value '1 {int}' for property 'DotNet47Full_OSIntegrated'
The following properties have been set for package 'Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7 (x86 and x64)':
Property: [DotNet47Full_OSIntegrated] = 1 {int}
Property: [DotNet47Full_Release] = 460805 {int}
Running checks for command 'DotNetFX47\NDP47-KB3186497-x86-x64-AllOS-ENU.exe'
Result of running operator 'ValueEqualTo' on property 'InstallMode' and value 'HomeSite': true
Result of checks for command 'DotNetFX47\NDP47-KB3186497-x86-x64-AllOS-ENU.exe' is 'Bypass'
Running checks for command 'DotNetFX47\NDP47-KB3186500-Web.exe'
Result of running operator 'ValueNotEqualTo' on property 'InstallMode' and value 'HomeSite': false
Result of running operator 'ValueGreaterThanEqualTo' on property 'DotNet47Full_Release' and value '460798': true
Result of checks for command 'DotNetFX47\NDP47-KB3186500-Web.exe' is 'Bypass'
'Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7 (x86 and x64)' RunCheck result: No Install Needed
Launching Application.
URLDownloadToCacheFile failed with HRESULT '-2146697208'
Error: An error occurred trying to download 'https://raw.githubusercontent.com/coldino/Larkator-release/master/publish/LarkatorGUI.application'."

Any ideas? I added the installer to the allowed programs in Windows Firewall and fooled around with IE security settings but it doesnt appear to fix it. Thanks!

20 hours ago, zenbane said:

Any ideas? I added the installer to the allowed programs in Windows Firewall and fooled around with IE security settings but it doesnt appear to fix it. Thanks!

This is a bit odd.  I've just tested that I'm able to install from scratch again and it works okay here on Win 10. that means GitHub haven't changed again, thankfully.

Can you navigate to the URL shown? Do you have a proxy or a virus checker acting as a proxy?

As a slightly different route you could download the file at the URL shown and simply double click on it.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Giorgino87 said:

Hi, the tool worked weel the first times, but now the senctions the huint/ the worries has disappeared.

I haven't seen this happen before. You could try clearing out the files in %TEMP%\Larkator. If it happens again I would like to examine the files in there, if you're willing to share.

On 6/1/2018 at 11:56 PM, coldino said:

I haven't seen this happen before. You could try clearing out the files in %TEMP%\Larkator. If it happens again I would like to examine the files in there, if you're willing to share.

I has already tried this. I tried again, no luck. Here are the files

https://ufile.io/tbbgj

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 1:35 PM, Giorgino87 said:

Any update?

As far as I understand your tool does not show dinos in caves. Is it on purpose or because it's not possible? I would like to check megalosaurus spawns, looks like they don't spawn at all in my games, but I wanted to be sure by analysing the game files.

Sorry - not had a chance to look at it yet.

Cave creatures seem to despawn when nobody is near them, meaning they're not present in the save file. The best you can do is go to the area of a cave, wait a bit for them to spawn, then save and take a look in Larkator.

On 6/6/2018 at 11:51 PM, coldino said:

Sorry - not had a chance to look at it yet.

Cave creatures seem to despawn when nobody is near them, meaning they're not present in the save file. The best you can do is go to the area of a cave, wait a bit for them to spawn, then save and take a look in Larkator.

I will try this as well...for now I just tryed to ghost, and didn't see any megalosaurus

Archived