PVE official servers are in a huge problem

A6ACF

Hello everyone,

I'm probably writing the same thing someone already posted here before, but there's not a single word about it from devs, so I think we should really try to get to devs somehow.

There are two huge problems with new or returning players who want to play on official PVE servers:

1) all servers are tame capped

2) all locations are taken or pillared

I'm a returning player, I stopped playing about a week before ARK was released officially, and now wish to return and start from the beginning, but it seems unfair to not be able to play on official PVE servers, cause I've paid for the game like everybody else and supported WC in early-access era. There has to be a solution for this somewhere in the future. I'm OK with waiting, but it would be nice to know that devs are thinking about it. Legacy servers are slowly dying out and it's not fun to play with 2 or 3 people online, which is the same as playing locally. Please support this thread if you are thinking the same. Thanks.

If you play PC, hop to unnoficials bubba. Suck up the desire to play with a consistent community if you must, but give it a shot. Nothing will probably be done for as far as my eyes can see. The company clearly has other priorities and most have accepted PVEs fate. Your options are clear: find a PVE server that's not tame capped and to which you can find a good area to build or play PVP

*edit 

The company is well aware of the state of PVE servers, but I'm under the assumption that fixing these issues is going to require a rehaul of specific aspects of the game such as building mechanics or severely limit our current freedoms; to which the amount of effort needed to fix these issues is, probably by their standards, not worth it for the time being. I'm sure there's a plan somewhere on the back burner, or possibly even the burner now, but even if it is burning up it's not nearly worth mentioning on their behalf because, well, they haven't mentioned it. That means if something's brewing it's gonna take awhile to implement anyway. So for the time being, find a good PVE server, play pvp, play single player, or play unnoficial. 

3 minutes ago, Paroxyde said:

More servers. Make ark a pay to play, 5$/month. 

More servers, less players. 

PvE lives. 

ARK is pay to play.  You either rent your own (unofficial) server or suffer from limits, trolls and unexpected rollbacks.

I personally rent 2 servers, approx. £25/mth to play The Island and Aberration with friends.

legacy? no caps at all  . no lag. no blue screens . no roll back .good ping. pretty much build where you want, lol . so glad we stayed . played same server from beginning early access . everyone on server plays well together and we get very few visitors but are populated enough to make it enjoyable still. and when we get new settlers like someone on server needed a dino or two , hell, we gave them a free wyvern and quetz . if players are still playing legacy , then they are in it for the long haul and very willing to share and play peacefully . ps4 pve eu-official server.

I personally don't like playing with mods or anything that is unofficial, and I'm currently playing on legacy servers, but it's literally the same as playing on local, just with a bit more ping. The main point in playing ARK or any other game for me is meeting other people, bumping into random guys taming a giga, or meeting someone in a cave I am visiting, etc. but none of that is on legacy, it's literally like you're on a deserted island.. I don't get it why WC can't simply reset some legacy servers and transform them to official.

2 hours ago, A6ACF said:

.... I don't get it why WC can't simply reset some legacy servers and transform them to official.

Because, within 2 or 3 weeks after launching these new servers, they will be the same tame-capped, pillared mess the current official servers are. Large tribes will migrate their dinos en-masse to the new servers to use them as storage, and the few lucky players who get on early enough will pillar-block large areas to ensure they can build and collect resources without being blocked in themselves. And then people will be back on here moaning the servers are all full and wanting new ones transformed!

I think the only solution to this is a drastic change by Wildcard. Maybe something along the lines of you are assigned a server when you create your account, and that is where you stay (except for changing to different maps within the same cluster)? This would be hugely unpopular though (it would be completely random which server you are assigned to, so you couldn't pick to play with your friends), but at least the servers would be limited to, for example, 50 players total. That should stop the tame cap from being reached. Obviously, this is PVE only, and doesn't include PVP. Or some method of tames being "uploaded" into stasis, so they don't affect server performance, but are available to download by the player for a small (in-game) cost, such as meat, metal or element?

As I mentioned, whatever Wildcard decide to do to combat this will probably be drastic, and cause massive uproar within the community, but I see it will need to be done at some point.

The epic struggle I too love official settings. I don't like 100s of mods and when the rates are over 3x on anything its just "win button" for me. Its not challenging and I lose interest fast. For those players wanting a community to play with and still have that official feel in PvE, its just simply not there. Right now I've moved to single player and a friends unofficial server with just 3 people. It's not much and the rates aren't too terribly high, at least at first. They just keep adding more mods, increasing rates. I absolutely love the demo gun, but if that's all I'm playing it for then what is the point?

I don't get how taming something that usually takes some narcotics to tame, but when the rates are so high you literally tame something with raw prime meat with no risk of it waking up is actually fun. It takes away half the features of the game. (yes i know people have lives and would comment as such as they don't have time to tame something for 2 hours.)  On official on a legacy server I wouldn't dare tame anything that took more than 2 hours to tame. I would build up my kibble farm. I put in a lot of hours over a year of playing this game just to breed to do boss fights and make a decent sized base. I never even bothered pillaring anywhere. Didn't make sense for me to own half of the map just to keep it safe from people ruining spawns. Or block rivers or pathways.

2 minutes ago, mr.dhobbs said:

Because, within 2 or 3 weeks after launching these new servers, they will be the same tame-capped, pillared mess the current official servers are. Large tribes will migrate their dinos en-masse to the new servers to use them as storage, and the few lucky players who get on early enough will pillar-block large areas to ensure they can build and collect resources without being blocked in themselves. And then people will be back on here moaning the servers are all full and wanting new ones transformed!

I think the only solution to this is a drastic change by Wildcard. Maybe something along the lines of you are assigned a server when you create your account, and that is where you stay (except for changing to different maps within the same cluster)? This would be hugely unpopular though (it would be completely random which server you are assigned to, so you couldn't pick to play with your friends), but at least the servers would be limited to, for example, 50 players total. That should stop the tame cap from being reached. Obviously, this is PVE only, and doesn't include PVP. Or some method of tames being "uploaded" into stasis, so they don't affect server performance, but are available to download by the player for a small (in-game) cost, such as meat, metal or element?

As I mentioned, whatever Wildcard decide to do to combat this will probably be drastic, and cause massive uproar within the community, but I see it will need to be done at some point.

The new servers are a pillared mess. Either way you you look at it, its still the same problem. They mostly made legacy and official separate for the sake of combating duping. Along with the CD put on transferring. This created a new community in the new servers and they filled up fast. Even the Island. Which is great for community, but a cap on the taming limit on the server would cause players to transfer to another server to continue taming.

Assigning a server would drastically limit the players options where they couldn't transfer. The idea of it being a cluster would make it very close to how other MMO servers work. In final fantasy online games to transfer to another server you'd have to pay a transfer fee as they watch server transferring very carefully. It actually helps build a community within you're server a bit better than anyone coming and going through servers. The limitations on this would effect trading for sure, but I see this as a good thing. We have new players buying bred rexes for boss fights. These bred dinos take months to get mutations to where they are at now. The way trading worked on legacy servers made it possible for just about anyone with enough poly or metal to purchase these dinos.

There is a lot to think about when doing a complete overhaul for the game to make it more player friendly as mentioned above. And this is just the tip of the iceberg.

For now we are just going to have to rely on the community of players to work well together, despite the hang ups on trust on these servers.

I think its hard for wildcard to find a fix. As in pvp dinos die and bases get wiped. In pve it will stay standing and people will expand expand tame and tame untill theres a point where you cant play anymore.

the servers arent made for pve maybe? Not good enough? I really dont know. But i understand why they implemented a tame cap

Lets put this in perspective a little. Every tribe is given a tame cap of 500 and the server tame cap is 2500. So apparently the intention was for a server to be occupied by 5 tribes. There's 20-30 tribes on a server in addition to solo players that also have tames. So either the server tame cap is wrong, or there's a severe lack of servers.

In any event, PvE is riddled with players that come in, tame poop, build poop, reach the tamecap, realize they can't do anything and leave. The basic lesson has been that patience is a virtue as the problem will eventually solve itself.

• Volunteer Moderator
7 minutes ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

Where'd you get this number? 

I have seen everything from 5000 to 9500 spouted as the tame cap but never a number as low as 2500 which I can guarantee it is not as more than 12 tribes on our server have 200+ dino's. 

On officials, the cap is 9500 on PC and 6500 on consoles.

I'm just wondering if the other legacy server is the same as 905, constant chat flaming, people pillaring each other, people blocking pathways or peoples bases with gates etc, today my friends was farming venom when a [][][][][][][] tribe on a drake stuck the spino and then they kited a reaper king.... i have lost loads of ravs due to people doing this on the surface.. shame to see people being forced into private servers to avoid this stuff.

7 hours ago, irishstorm said:

I'm just wondering if the other legacy server is the same as 905, constant chat flaming, people pillaring each other, people blocking pathways or peoples bases with gates etc, today my friends was farming venom when a [][][][][][][] tribe on a drake stuck the spino and then they kited a reaper king.... i have lost loads of ravs due to people doing this on the surface.. shame to see people being forced into private servers to avoid this stuff.

Unfortunately a few legacy servers seem to be having allot of griefing. I went to what I can see as the only OC Ragnorok server and it was basically completely pillared.

Not every server is completely pillared and quite a few are actually friendly. It seems like every once in a while, the alpha tribes rotate / leave. And that opens up space (which is quickly filled in though by newer players). Not every server is a pillar fest. It takes a little effort maybe, and some asking if there's free spots.

What could work in the future, is if instead of building anywhere, they make a land prospect. Which starts out at: 4x4 and as you level up you can make a bigger prospect. And that is where you can build. More people in the tribe, means more space. Person goes, stuff goes. Kinda like platforms. And then also turn a bunch of land into non-claimable so not every resource etc can be build over.

46 minutes ago, Vitiablesoup said:

What could work in the future, is if instead of building anywhere, they make a land prospect. Which starts out at: 4x4 and as you level up you can make a bigger prospect. And that is where you can build. More people in the tribe, means more space. Person goes, stuff goes. Kinda like platforms. And then also turn a bunch of land into non-claimable so not every resource etc can be build over.

Problem with that system starts when you want to have multiple bases to accommodate all players' needs: farm/kibble farm, hatchery/breeding compartment, crafting/storage area, water pen/base, mountain FOB, redwood platforms etc.

I think probably one of the best workable solutions is where all players are guaranteed at least 10-25 tame cap slots no matter the population of the server.  Although it isn't very many dinos, it would be enough for many casual players.  The only drawback is if a server gets flooded with players all hitting the mini-cap far beyond what the server can handle.

• 4 months later...

i start from 2x2 base and 3 dilopho, then moved moved moved moved like exile.

try to say this kind of jerk word.

for example,above all foreigners were  son of homocide guy or stealer, i

DILO you cleared. you fin, go away. whoa superior stinky big china or russian please help me.

then i found few server where i can tame around 20.

20 is not enough to make kibble farm,still inconvinience and wildcard or detective reds are watching you

idontknow

i want dev builder to make npc structure builder mod, bush people is not stable yet

sorry for my bad english

they built pillars then change chara, so keep say poop about it and pray

Archived