Transfers ruin pvp

natman

At least in their current state.

The vanilla official pvp servers are dominated by two things the majority of players dont like: mega tribes and bullys. The main reason for that are the open and unlimited transfers between all servers. They brought the necessity to form mega tribes and they provide the anonymity bullys abuse.

But in theory, the transfer mechanic also has its positive aspects. People are able to bring their gear and tames to explore different maps, they are able to flee to another server with their leftovers when they got raided, they can trade and experience pvp with other tribes than the ones on their home server.

I have spent most of my time in ark on clusters: primitive, orp, notame and i also have friends on the notek cluster. It is a much greater experience than regular pvp servers. You more or less know the people and have an eye on your enemies, politics play a larger role and pvp is more balanced as tribes dont become as huge as on vanilla servers. And the positive sides of transfers are still enjoyable.

3 hours ago, natman said:

majority of players dont like: mega tribes and bullys.

[citation needed]

Majority of players I know are cool with mega tribes. 

PVP is not bullying. Someone raiding your base at 2 am because there's no offline raid protection isn't 'bullying'. Solution is get in a group big enough to have credible defenses, and always at least 1 person online. You can't do that, go to ORP unofficial.

46 minutes ago, Cullis said:

Majority of players I know are cool with mega tribes. 

Well this statement is made upon observation of this and other forums and own experience.

49 minutes ago, Cullis said:

PVP is not bullying. Someone raiding your base at 2 am because there's no offline raid protection isn't 'bullying'.

Im not talking about pvp. Im fine with it, even if its offline raiding or other less honorable tactics. They are part of the game and are what makes pvp more thrilling. I talk about bullying. Making people feel bad just because you can or somhow enjoy it. 

1 hour ago, natman said:

Well this statement is made upon observation of this and other forums and own experience.

Im not talking about pvp. Im fine with it, even if its offline raiding or other less honorable tactics. They are part of the game and are what makes pvp more thrilling. I talk about bullying. Making people feel bad just because you can or somhow enjoy it. 

Trust me, you don’t want to experience ark ‘pre mega tribes’. 5 Chinese turn up, undermap and wipe the entire place. A lot of the mega tribes formed to be able to fight back.

The real mega tribe issue is mega tribes that dupe, under map and exploit glitches.

I assume by bullying you mean griefing. And yes, it’s common as hell, however it serves a very important function. Griefing limits the people you are attacking massively, purposefully stopping them from progressing or building up.

• 5 months later...

When someone is wiped 10 times in 10 days, by 10 different people, it is no longer pvp. It is people abusing the transfer system so that they can bully. Simple as that. A person who knows someone has just been raided, cannot justify wiping out their base and tames other than because they are a bully. Transfers allow them to do this without retaliation. This game has become infested with trolls that just want to kill your tames because they find it funny. Gone are the days when you actually worked WITH other tribes, and could fight back against this. These people are ghosts and you can't fight back when you're up against this

5 hours ago, ewan121 said:

When someone is wiped 10 times in 10 days, by 10 different people, it is no longer pvp. It is people abusing the transfer system so that they can bully. Simple as that. A person who knows someone has just been raided, cannot justify wiping out their base and tames other than because they are a bully. Transfers allow them to do this without retaliation. This game has become infested with trolls that just want to kill your tames because they find it funny. Gone are the days when you actually worked WITH other tribes, and could fight back against this. These people are ghosts and you can't fight back when you're up against this

If your made of plaster rather then granite try the other mode...

4 hours ago, Duffmek said:

wow i wasnt aware transfers where allowed on pvp servers ... thats made pvp even worse - ive had a break for about a year so still catching up on the new things

The new small tribe servers fix many of the issues stated in this thread. They are worth a try even for inexperienced PVP players.

2 hours ago, ForzaProiettile said:

If your made of plaster rather then granite try the other mode...

It's not a case of trying the other mode. People should be able to build up in pvp without being wiped daily. It makes it impossible for new players to start, or people trying to rebuild. A server shouldn't consist of 1 alpha tribe and a bunch or trolls picking on little guys. It's a fundamental flaw in the game. I love pvp, but getting to the point of actually being able to do anything has become impossible 

44 minutes ago, ewan121 said:

It's not a case of trying the other mode. People should be able to build up in pvp without being wiped daily. It makes it impossible for new players to start, or people trying to rebuild. A server shouldn't consist of 1 alpha tribe and a bunch or trolls picking on little guys. It's a fundamental flaw in the game. I love pvp, but getting to the point of actually being able to do anything has become impossible 

The small tribe servers has largely eliminated the issue of single dominant alpha tribes. What they have created is servers brimming with life and daily constant PVP which is both exciting and fun. I have a tiny base with the bare minimums and no tames and I just run around killing anyone and anything I can. It's fun and very rewarding. It's PVP but in your books I'm probably a troll/griefer/toxic/whatever ?

Most people dont like mega tribes.. thats the whole reason WC made the small tribe servers.. 

the fact that they are popular at the moment is a direct opposite fact to your statement, 

honestly small tribe servers are the place to be in PvP.. 

you have a some time to build and defend against a tribe of 6 or less players.. building on a server with a alpha tribe with 500 plus members. makes it so you log to a blown up base every day.. sure you'll get raided on a small tribe server, but you'll also raid a few bases. 

As someone who has experience both PvP in pre and post transfers I would say the new situation is not perfect, but is preferable to what was before. 

I will elaborate briefly as others have already provided very valid opinions.

Mega tribes pre-transfer (back then called Alpha tribes) were rarely beatable, and most were defeated internally by some boredom or something like that, it happened to my tribe as people moved on to other games, we became weaker and a new Alpha would take its place. 

Alpha tribes would claim large portions of land and kill of certain mounts, establish some weird rules like you can't tame this or that and we will wipe you if you don't pay up cementing paste. That was my life at first.

Then came the transfers, they messed with the established power and megatribes were formed to become cross server strategies and as such, fighting has improved and as large opposing tribes became a real threat. Now the well being of the server and actively seek allies is better, sure if a mega tribe does not know you, they might wack you as the alternative to allow you to grow strong is a risk by itself and trust is not easily earned. 

Arks PvP is designed to have large groups of people, the more you have it the more likely you are going to make it to the top. Eventually, I became rather tired of the format and moved on to a private server with friends, we mostly PvE now days (which makes the lack of PvE content more apparent btw), but it is the balance I can sustain as I simply cannot put 4 hours into the game everyday.

I wanted to be able to do more in Ark, I just can't and I do prioritize other things in my life. I still love the posts, ideas and arguments created by you all, so in  a sense my Ark PvP character lives thru your stories, and I will have it no other way today, private server is the way for me.

Finally, I conclude that transfers do need a constant look, analysis and mechanics review as new ideas pop up as alternatives. I say transfers are necessary, even with its bad portions.

Cheers! 

You need to try out the smaller crossark servers. They have 1 of each map and no transfers in or out. If someone hits you, you know who did it. It can be unbalanced or completely balanced depending on the current alpha(s) running it. But it doesn't have the same drama from the main cluster because like in the old days, there are no megas moving in to wipe everyone. This can be good or bad as I have said, but it is an option for you since you are not enjoying the free for all main cluster of servers. I never enjoyed megas and back when I would play with a lot of people, those were the types of servers I loved being on. 

Edit: ffs its another old post you scrubs have dug up ?

Archived