Is PvE better? Does it get boring fast?

ATKPanda

So I've been on and off Ark the past year or more so I would say I'm pretty into the game and know what I'm doing... Most of the time anyways. Ive always stopped due to getting raided and being so salty to the point I quit the game for a few weeks before returning once again. I dont know if its the fact I'm in a small tribe or im just simply not good at the game. I have never tried PvE or starting up my own custom server with some friends. I'm curious to know if it will be as enjoyable as PvP and I wont get bored the first few days playing. Im really into building on games but I also love Pvp so I feel like I have to sacrifice one for the other as on Pvp servers you are kinda forced to build a bulky metal cube like everyone else instead of showing your creative side and building beautiful structures. If you're a Pve player I'd like to know if its fun, long lasting, and maybe better than Pvp. Sorry for the rambling, typos and long post haha thanks anyways. -Lauren xx

• Volunteer Moderator

PvE is definitely fun, however, whether it gets boring fast or not can only really be answered by you. I have found that for PvE you need to have a pretty big interest in building for a start because that's the biggest thing in PvE. If you have a plan to work towards, like plans to build certain things, or to fight the bosses to reach tek etc then whether the game gets boring fast would depend on how quickly it takes you to reach your goals. But i've also found you need multiple goals because once you've reached one you may find yourself think well what next?

I certainly enjoy PvE. I've not been much of a PvP person anyway, and I don't have the available time to commit to PvP play. However, I am currently at a stage where i've got a bit bored because i've achieved my goals. Aberration has helped with that though, but as I say, if you have goals ready then it doesn't get boring so fast.

Pro tip for PVE, if your playing unofficial make sure the settings aren't too high. If everything is 25x your going to get really bored really fast.

Official speeds are okay, 2-3x probably ideal (for tame/breeding anyway), 5x is probably as high as I would go (and I would only make this tame/breed, gather is fine at 1-3x).

• Volunteer Moderator
3 hours ago, ATKPanda said:

So I've been on and off Ark the past year or more so I would say I'm pretty into the game and know what I'm doing... Most of the time anyways. Ive always stopped due to getting raided and being so salty to the point I quit the game for a few weeks before returning once again. I dont know if its the fact I'm in a small tribe or im just simply not good at the game. I have never tried PvE or starting up my own custom server with some friends. I'm curious to know if it will be as enjoyable as PvP and I wont get bored the first few days playing. Im really into building on games but I also love Pvp so I feel like I have to sacrifice one for the other as on Pvp servers you are kinda forced to build a bulky metal cube like everyone else instead of showing your creative side and building beautiful structures. If you're a Pve player I'd like to know if its fun, long lasting, and maybe better than Pvp. Sorry for the rambling, typos and long post haha thanks anyways. -Lauren xx

PvE Is all I ever play. I never really get bored. There is always stuff to do. I would recommend trying different mods/servers.

Spent around 3K hours on PvP servers. Had been in some of those *alpha mega tribes* that people call on youtube videos. I don't really appreciate the format of PvP as it is. always been the guy that makes bosses, breeding, caves, farming etc... I spent tons of hours just for turrets ammo. Than when someone attacks you, if you are prepared to recieve them, youll kill them really quick and end the fight. Or if it is another mega tribe, tons of lags can be felt during raids. Its not really enjoyable when you try to do simple actions with 255 ping. So yeah the "not fluid gameplay" during raids really got me. We destroyed lot of bases/dinos got good loots that was fun sometimes. 

During PvP i met really nice people. Nowadays i still play with these persons. I play PvE now, and I do stuff I never did before. Plus, It is really enjoyable to play with people that counts for you, and in a mega tribe, theres always 1-2 guys that you really don't like but you have to tolerate because, it is what it is. Another thing that i hate during legacy was A LOT of tribes was duping.  They were doing it to fight dupe with dupe. Sometimes, people was doing undermesh few of them is able to be seen on youtube. 

TLDR: I have more fun on pve now

Guest DJRone89
6 hours ago, Todgins said:

Pro tip for PVE, if your playing unofficial make sure the settings aren't too high. If everything is 25x your going to get really bored really fast.

Official speeds are okay, 2-3x probably ideal (for tame/breeding anyway), 5x is probably as high as I would go (and I would only make this tame/breed, gather is fine at 1-3x).

Not necessarily, it’s how you distribute the rates across the board and who your target audience is. 

On 14/01/2018 at 9:52 PM, GP said:

PvE is definitely fun, however, whether it gets boring fast or not can only really be answered by you. I have found that for PvE you need to have a pretty big interest in building for a start because that's the biggest thing in PvE. If you have a plan to work towards, like plans to build certain things, or to fight the bosses to reach tek etc then whether the game gets boring fast would depend on how quickly it takes you to reach your goals. But i've also found you need multiple goals because once you've reached one you may find yourself think well what next?

I certainly enjoy PvE. I've not been much of a PvP person anyway, and I don't have the available time to commit to PvP play. However, I am currently at a stage where i've got a bit bored because i've achieved my goals. Aberration has helped with that though, but as I say, if you have goals ready then it doesn't get boring so fast.

Appreciate the feedback!

On 15/01/2018 at 2:08 AM, Malko said:

Spent around 3K hours on PvP servers. Had been in some of those *alpha mega tribes* that people call on youtube videos. I don't really appreciate the format of PvP as it is. always been the guy that makes bosses, breeding, caves, farming etc... I spent tons of hours just for turrets ammo. Than when someone attacks you, if you are prepared to recieve them, youll kill them really quick and end the fight. Or if it is another mega tribe, tons of lags can be felt during raids. Its not really enjoyable when you try to do simple actions with 255 ping. So yeah the "not fluid gameplay" during raids really got me. We destroyed lot of bases/dinos got good loots that was fun sometimes. 

During PvP i met really nice people. Nowadays i still play with these persons. I play PvE now, and I do stuff I never did before. Plus, It is really enjoyable to play with people that counts for you, and in a mega tribe, theres always 1-2 guys that you really don't like but you have to tolerate because, it is what it is. Another thing that i hate during legacy was A LOT of tribes was duping.  They were doing it to fight dupe with dupe. Sometimes, people was doing undermesh few of them is able to be seen on youtube. 

TLDR: I have more fun on pve now

Can relate alot to the lag thing and pvp not being what it was, thanks

You will definitely face a different reality.

Joining officials now, you will also have to deal with tame cap, pillar spam...

I prefer PVE because it lets me keep my stuff after I log off. But sometimes I wish I could deal with the local troll that places his base right in peoples faces and stops them building in their own walls. 

I think it's down to preference, I couldn't do PvE because I love the competitive nature of PvP, but my friend on the other hand loves how creative his base are and is in the process of making his base look like Winterhold from Game of Thrones, so if nothing else it wouldn't hurt to try both out and see what is best for you.

On 14/1/2018 at 10:39 PM, ATKPanda said:

I have played pvp maybe 1200 of my 1230 hours ingame, i tried to play pve  on an official server but it gets boring fast.

You also might want to check out some unofficial pvp servers, they tend to have rules in place. I play on a primitive one that a friend of mine hosts and its more of a rp server, offline raiding isn't allowed neither is killing passive dinos. Most battles are staged events and you only bring what you're willing to loose.  I mostly play official pvp but its nice to take a break every now and then and know when I log on all my stuff is untouched.

PvE is PvE. PvP is PvP

Which one is better? That's subjective. Every answer I give you will probably be wrong for you. I've played them both and enjoyed them both, on official and unofficial. I'd recommend finding an unofficial server with active admins/moderators and a PvP rule list that makes it easier on those who can't play every waking hour.

As a PVE player who has never played PVP, I have never run out of things to do.

Building is probably one of the biggest investments I make. I don't even consider myself that creative, but I hate boring box bases and behemoth gate rings, so I'm always designing structures and base layouts I find aesthetically pleasing. As frustrating as the building system is, I love having built and I am apparently incapable of having a small base even as a solo player lol. So I'm pretty much always doing something with building, either planning out a new build, tweaking/upgrading old designs or getting frustrated and just tearing something apart. I have a love/hate relationship with Ark building, even with S+.

But if I'm being honest, building is just a way for me to facilitate breeding. I love, love love breeding, not surprising as an avid Pokemon player no? Stats, colors, mutations I want it all, breeding is what really makes me happy in this game. First it's the hunting, seeking out that perfect animal, either high level or colors for one of my color morphs, I do all natural and mutated colors on my animals. Then it's putting those stats and colors together, and raising beautiful, immensely strong babies and that first time you get a perfect stat inheritance, or a really awesome color mutation you wanted, it's the best.

These two things alone probably take up 70-80% of my Ark time. After that it's a combination of upkeep and farming, exploring, doing random stupid stuff with my tribemates and just generally roaming around doing whatever strikes my fancy. It's nice not worrying that much about base defense or how to protect animals that are the cumulative result of dozens if not hundreds of hours of active gameplay or how long that fancy building design will last in a raid. But, I'm also a very non-competitive player and don't really care about the 'thrill' of battle, boss battles are good enough for me.

The biggest thing with PVE is to remember is that you need to make your own goals and not to rush! Take your time, there's no point bum rushing to the 'endgame' when there isn't one. That's where I see most people get bored with PVE and leave, they treat it like it is PVP and then start whining after a few weeks when they're sitting in a base with all their fancy gear and rex/giga army and there's nothing to do because they don't have anything to fight. PVE isn't about fighting, so have fun with other things. Breed animals that have no business being on the same server as a giga just for fun, build things just because you can, it's a sandbox man go play. 

I read in your other post that you play with a couple of friends, enjoy building, and are tired of getting wiped in PVP.  I suggest the following.  You and your friends move to PVE, but each create a separate tribe.  Build, tame, breed, have fun working together and helping each other.  Then when you feel like fighting, declare clan wars with each other and battle it out.  Set up your own rules/limitations for the "war" so you don't completely wipe each other out.  Rinse and repeat.

I just passed my 4,000 hour mark earlier today. And I have had several moments of wondering if I'd like to go back to PvP over the years (the reverse of your situation.) 

I started on PvP. Official servers, on the day after Ark was first released. I started with 4 friends, who had quit within 2 weeks, and continued on with a small tribe of 3. We became unofficial alpha, as not many people played back then and many were just new guys rolling in for their first log in ever as the weeks rolled past. I stayed for 880 hours. One thing I learned, that has resurfaced each time I have returned, is that PvP is actually less competitive than PvE.

I hear that a lot. "I play PvP because it is competitive." Well, in a 'grand scheme' way of looking at it, yes it is. But in a manner of competing via personal skill or resourcefulness, not in the slightest. It's either numbers, or lag, or who joined the server first.

So, I've spent 3,000 of my 4,000 hours on PvE. And I've been a bit of an elitist nonetheless. In fact, I have found PvE more rewarding not only due to the ability to CHOOSE how I want to play that day, but also because it does allow me to demonstrate skill as an individual player.

Let me use a specific example:

- The day Gigas came out, I was hopping between a PvP server and a PvE one. On the PvP server, we had 4 guys go out and take it down. It was routine, boring and tamed mostly because "we can't let others get them first." On the PvE one, I went out on my own because I wanted to see if I could solo the hunt. When I brought it down, a guy from another tribe flew over and started talking about how he was hoping to be the server first. Being that it wasn't PvP, he didn't shoot my tame or troll me. We passed jokes and quips back and forth, I gave him some hint of how fast its torpor was bottoming out, and he went on his merry way.

It was fun. it was a game. And if you're curious whether or not PvE can be competitive, just search the various crazy things us players have done. I have my last server backed up, and if you saw that cathedral I had been working on.. The main chamber is 48 sides with fluted columns and holds a carpet made of basilisk tails down the center towards the front balcony. Snap points were always harder than taming anyways. You want a challenge, then in my personal experience.. The hardest and most satisfying challenge has been to choose a goal you cannot complete, and then complete it. PvE gives you that, everyday. The option to say "I'm going to have a golem tomorrow" on the day you join a vanilla rates server.. And you know you have NO CLUE how to do it. but then the second day rolls around, and you bag 3 at once.

--Edit: So, right now, at 4,000 hours, I am admittedly somewhat burned out. however, I am still playing full-time. Even back to streaming it. And there is one reason why:
As others have said, goals are important. PvP forces goals on you, like my giga example: We had to tame it. On PvE, there is no need for it unless you have a goal and that giga is a part of that goal.
This time, I have set myself the ultimate goal: Beat Ark. 100%. Every tame. Every dossier. Every breed. Every boss. Every Ascencion. Start on the Island. Then SE. And while I'm at it, bring my much newer friends along on the ride, forcing them to complete the same to ascend from one Ark to the next.

Setting a goal with a bar that excessively high is easy. Completing it, however.. Will require me to make small goal after small goal. I'm on day 2 right now, I have 3 goals I need to complete at once: I need a wood and stone getter, I have egg layers but need a farm (am wrapping that up as I speak) and I want to stake my claim on the northwest corner of Whitesky peak, as even if I'm going to freeze a lot, I want that spot for resources. And that one really crazy goal is going to keep giving me new sub-goals to keep me active.

As an addition, I chose to add one side-goal to my main one: I have to do one major build in each main biome before I can ascend off each Ark. That means I need to do almost 10 build showcases before I can leave the Island alone.

Most PvE goals might not be quite that crazy... But my point here is: Set a goal higher than you actually feel comfortable achieving. Because that giant goal just becomes a lot of little ones back to back, and keeps you logging in everyday.

On 1/14/2018 at 10:39 PM, ATKPanda said:

you have been playing ark past 2 years? than you will be bored by pve in 1 months since you already did most of it

On 1/15/2018 at 10:18 AM, Todgins said:

Mine is set to 10x, but the food consumption rate is 0.6x, which forces the 10x to go down to 6x because they eat less often. What do you think about this?

Archived