WHY do people keep quitting ARK only to play again later?

Weaselly

15 hours ago, Keogh said:

THIS ^^^ ARK IN A NUTSHELL 

Except it's not. It's a wildly exaggerated and irrational rant by someone with a bone to pick and a chip on their shoulder. It's one thing to say that the game could still use a lot of work...but suggesting that nothing has changed, nothing looks better, nothing performs better...that's all stuff that makes you look extremely irrational and impossible to please. 

On 14/01/2018 at 10:21 PM, Weaselly said:

.... That was fun for about a day until you run into people with more time than you. ...

Same for me Unofficial and Official servers, its just the nature of the game.  I would like to see some mechanics which would reduce the natural advantage of playing full time compared to a more casual style but I doubt there any real compromise and would put of the more time affluent and probably more vocal players.

Maybe an unofficial that only online 6 hours a day. I bet that be heaving with players.

9 minutes ago, forddefect said:
On 1/14/2018 at 4:21 PM, Weaselly said:

.... That was fun for about a day until you run into people with more time than you. ...

Same for me Unofficial and Official servers, its just the nature of the game.  I would like to see some mechanics which would reduce the natural advantage of playing full time compared to a more casual style but I doubt there any real compromise and would put of the more time affluent and probably more vocal players.

Maybe an unofficial that only online 6 hours a day. I bet that be heaving with players.

There "are" ways to bring some parity between casual and dedicated gamers (real time based skill acquisition instead of game time or grinding exp. based skill acquisition... or allowing defenders to pick limited windows of availability when they can be attacked, ensuring they can usually be online to meet attackers).  However those usually only work if the game was designed from the ground up around that concept.

Even then, finding the right balance is a tricky beast.

Wow I didnt expect this post to get this many responses! :D

I agree with what most people are saying on here and the idea of playing on an RP or offline safe pvp server could be fun and different.

I also like the idea above of maybe having servers that are online only for 6-12 hours a day. Say Noon - Midnight PST or something. Since time is limited, more action will be had and farming and organizing with the tribe could be easier. Plus you would be likely playing people in the same country/time zones instead of getting stomped offline from Chinese or Russian tribes that dont fuc around.

Like Thorium said, it's a hate/love relationship, the game is digital crack and I can't stop playing even though I hate a lot of things about it, think my username on here sums it up :D I've never really settled anywhere long term, often quit but my breaks last a few days at most, sometimes just a few hours.

I like playing solo PvP, sneaky bases, very few tames and just being a pain in the ass, that way I don't get salty if someone wipes one of my bases as I've usually got others to fall back on or have stuff stashed away on floating foundations under a raft (pretty easy to get away with on official with all the abandoned rafts) the one thing that keeps forcing me to quit official is server performance, just can't be doing with rubberbanding or twatting a rock for 2 minutes without harvesting anything.

I find the difference in performance with unofficials to be night and day but then get bored quickly because of things like rates, loot quality ramped up or mods that make doing things too easy, only played on one unofficial server that was vanilla and enjoyed it but it was PvE so kind of got bored after a while.

I've recently started on a legacy PvP server, don't know how long it'll last but I'll probably quit before WC takes it down xD enjoying it so far, performance is good and the only noticeable lag is during saves, got a decent-ish sized population still, I've got the hours to put into the game so don't mind the grind and kind of like the strategy of it as opposed to harvesting more stuff than I'll ever need in a few days which seems to happen on most unofficials I've played on.

I've tried to give ARK chance with modded server on Ragnarok and it failed to keep me interested in the game, because it only delayed issues that made me uninstall ARK in the end. In short this game is vast as an ocean, but deep as a puddle.

There are a few things that made me uninstall this game:

• Entire game was built on the same mechanic, "spend X time to do anything", therefore game became extremely grindy and it doesn't respect your time, because you can lose a few hours of your work within seconds or minutes. Keep in mind I didn't buy ARK to be forced to play unofficial servers to solve this problem.
  • Game is extremy grindy to create illusion of offering a lot of content and keep you in game as long as possible before you realise what you just created doesn't have significant impact on the game whatsoever (PVE).
  • ARK offers very few interesting mechanics that don't involve staring at something for a long period of time. 
  • ARK's AI is the most primitive one I've ever seen in sandbox computer games and it kills my suspense of disbelief when I see dinosaurs trying to walk through rocks or walls. 
  • Lack of general polish in game's mechanics
  • Terrible optimisation and server tickrates.
  • Lackluster communication of WC and its project management.
  • The fact that WC decided to not spend time on QoL improvments during Early Access (Dino TLC caliber of QoL patches), but stuffed the game with even more redundant game mechanics or dinosaurs that people got bored of them after 10 minutes (toilets, camera for example)
  • The game is so bloated with mechanics, thousands of dinosaurs that current the most powerful hardware struggles to run it. WC didn't keep in mind hardware limitation during ARK's development. 
  • Lastly, when you tamed, built, bred what you wanted the game has nothing more to offer except for raiding a dungeon once or twice.

In my opinion ARK is an indie game that got too much attention and had a huge potential that could have been used much better. Jack of all trades and master of none. Unless significant QoL patches and AI overhaul took place, I would not come back to ARK.

Doken - I would look into unofficial servers. I didn't want to either at first but once I did I never went back to official.

In my experience, unofficial have some good admins that are willing to help with things like accidentally leaving your solo tribe (which I have done a few times lol)

The community is better, most mods make the game easier and spend less time farming, grinding and more time talking, taming, doing more of the things you find fun.

Not all unofficial servers are as I described above and does take sometime finding the right one you. Good Luck!

Archived