Domesticat(ed)(ing) Troodons

Kayin

Well, after burning through ~20 level 200+ therizinos (literally an entire boss fighting army) , I finally have 2 low level Troodons.   This took me approximately 3 weeks because I would become so frustrated I would have to walk away from this nightmare for some time. 

Let's talk about the Domestication process:

Throughout this process I was able to reverse engineer the Troodon's aggro mechanics which explains most of the frustration encountered:

----

function Troodon_aggro() {

if ( random.nextInt() < random.nextInt()) {

randomObject =  objectsAroundTroodon.select(random.nextInt());
         AggroOnto( randomObject ).For( random.nextInt(100) )  // in miliseconds

} 

if  (IsNightTime() &&  IsAggo) {

stopAggro();

}  

if  (PlayerIsPresent() &&  (random.nextInt() % 2 == 0) ) {

stopAggro();

}

if  (TamedDinoIsPresent()  &&  getTamedDino.getHealth() < 100000000) {

stopAggro();

}

}

event RespondToBeingAttack() {

//TODO, Not implemented

return 0;

}

event OnWeatherTransition() {

// TODO,  do something cool, but wait we forgot to implement that cool thing

stopAggro();

}

event OnNighttimeTransition() {

// This makes no sense, but you know what, today was get drunk and code day at WC,  so:

stopAggro();

}

-----

I took screenshots of myself standing right next to wild troodons at night and they would not attack me.  Standing,  naked,  outside,  unmounted.  They would not aggro.     AAAAHHH.

I can, however, report that once a Troodon has received some taming affinity and that troodon has not killed another tame within an acceptable timeframe, it's taming bar will properly go down. So at least that works. That's something right?

Let's talk about post-domestication:

- Female Troodon Food = 300.
- Male Troodon Food = 200.

This is already lower than every other domesticated animal in the game including:   

- level 1 dodos
- level 1 jerboas
- level 1 otters

What happens when I breed a Female with 300 food and a Male with 200 food?    I get a baby with 100 food. 

I "literally can't even" at this point.   

------------------------

Dear Ark Players,

Domesticating a Troodon is an exercise in pure masochism.   Please, save yourselves,  stay away.       Wildcard, you have shown your true sadistic nature. I hate you.  Please give me more maps and more animals to tame. 

Sincerely,
the fomerly sane :(  

Okay, that's not how breeding works, first off. It will inherit either the 300 Food value or the 200 Food value, give or take depending on wild and tamed affinity points spent in to the Food stat.

Second, did you just randomly write that code or is that what you actually found?

Lastly, why are you even taming Troodons? They aren't good, in any sense of the word. They are poor tamed creatures that can't have armour, thus losing the damage reduction, and they're killed way too easily by larger tamed creatures.

Just now, Orion said:

Okay, that's not how breeding works, first off. It will inherit either the 300 Food value or the 200 Food value, give or take depending on wild and tamed affinity points spent in to the Food stat.

Second, did you just randomly write that code or is that what you actually found?

Lastly, why are you even taming Troodons? They aren't good, in any sense of the word. They are poor tamed creatures that can't have armour, thus losing the damage reduction, and they're killed way too easily by larger tamed creatures.

Not sure if troll, or serious....

No sh*t that's not how breeding works, unless you're breeding Troodons.  Want proof?
https://imgur.com/a/XDTH2

Read it and weep. 

2 hours ago, Kayin said:

Not sure if troll, or serious....

No sh*t that's not how breeding works, unless you're breeding Troodons.  Want proof?
https://imgur.com/a/XDTH2

Read it and weep. 

What I see is you using the fact that you tamed extremely low level Troodons, and ended up getting a Baby that has the literal base Troodon food stat, because it inherited it from a parent that had it.

https://imgur.com/a/veZwQ

What I see is you using the fact that you tamed extremely low level Troodons, and ended up getting a Baby that has the literal base Troodon food stat, because it inherited it from a parent that had it.

But if one parent had 200, and another 300, wouldn't it have been impossible to get 100 since neither parent had that stat?

Guest DJRone89

Eww, why tame such low level Troodons at all?

I play unofficials but multipliers don’t affect the taming process, so it’s exactly the same across the board.

To tame a 150, all you need to do at night is feed it one baby Spino that’s level 164 or above, or one baby Wyvern that’s level 78 or above, but either must be on neutral for it to work (aggressive/attack my target doesn’t count).

Unless you’re a amateur, there are no excuses for not taming high level Troodons, because surely if you are to succeed at all, you need to prepare well.

8 hours ago, Orion said:

It is very obviously a sarcastic impression of the troodon's aggro mechanic during taming in the form of code snippet.

5 hours ago, DJRone89 said:

Egg farm.

5 hours ago, Orion said:

g60LP7a.png

100 food is impossible on the baby unless it is bugged same way as Procoptodons.

Edit: Tested and yes - baby hatches with 100 max food even tho both its level 1 parents had (base)200.

12 hours ago, DJRone89 said:

I play unofficials but multipliers don’t affect the taming process, so it’s exactly the same across the board.

To tame a 150, all you need to do at night is feed it one baby Spino that’s level 164 or above, or one baby Wyvern that’s level 78 or above, but either must be on neutral for it to work (aggressive/attack my target doesn’t count).

Unless you’re a amateur, there are no excuses for not taming high level Troodons, because surely if you are to succeed at all, you need to prepare well.

I tried a wyvern but it starved to death before I could get the troodon to aggro onto me.

I also tried a pack of multiple babies and dropping the troodon into the container.  The Troodon wouldn't aggro.  So then I used a pheromone dart and that wouldn't aggro it either. Instead, the babies were all killed by a rogue Ptera that swooped in from outside of render distance responding to the pheromone dart.  

In an attempt to finally get aggro on the troodon, it was 1-shot killed by the full grown theri I had reduced to 2 health and was on neutral. I wasn't lucky enough for the troodon to attack first when aggro finally did magically happen.

After that point I didn't have time to fly around the island looking for a 150 for another 6 months.  I just grabbed the first one I saw because I wasn't even sure this stupid taming mechanic worked.   

13 hours ago, Orion said:

Neither of the parents had a base food of 100. I posted pictures of their base stats.  Their baby still came out at 100.   It's called a bug. 

Clearly you're not getting it.   My whole post was about the extreme buggy nature of Troodons both during taming and after. 

Archived