Aberrant Megalosaurus in Boss Fights?

DeningWei

• Volunteer Moderator

They are not. When they are not mounted, they will randomly try to grab their target and deals 10% damage of a regular bite and that even if they cannot carry them. They are not a good replacement unless you plan to have riders. Here with some numbers:

On 12/26/2017 at 1:22 AM, invincibleqc said:

Daytime:

Aberrant Megalosaurus:

• Ridden: 139 dmg per bite.
  • Unridden: 139 or 18 dmg per bite (very inconsistent).

Regular Megalosaurus:

• Ridden: 65 dmg per bite.
  • Unridden: 65 dmg per bite (always consistent).

Nighttime:

Aberrant Megalosaurus:

• Ridden: 139 dmg per bite.
  • Unridden: 18 or 139 dmg per bite (very inconsistent).

Regular Megalosaurus:

• Ridden: 131 dmg per bite (video shows 87 because I did bite the plate of the Stego).
  • Unridden: 17 or 131 dmg per bite (very inconsistent).

45 minutes ago, invincibleqc said:

They are not. When they are not mounted, they will randomly try to grab their target and deals 10% damage of a regular bite and that even if they cannot carry them. They are not a good replacement unless you plan to have riders. Here with some numbers:

Very interesting, do you know if they try to grab even on PVE? (Considering they aren't supposed to be able to).  Sounds like a bug if they are trying to grab on PVE or trying to grab something much larger than themselves.

• Volunteer Moderator
2 minutes ago, DeningWei said:

Very interesting, do you know if they try to grab even on PVE? (Considering they aren't supposed to be able to).  Sounds like a bug if they are trying to grab on PVE or trying to grab something much larger than themselves.

This is part of their AI no matter the game-mode. Wild ones can also carry even in PvE afaik as well.

19 minutes ago, invincibleqc said:

This is part of their AI no matter the game-mode. Wild ones can also carry even in PvE afaik as well.

Yes, the wild ones do carry in pve.  It seems they need to clean up the AI on these.  Perhaps against foes they can't pick up they should just stick with regular attack.

2 hours ago, invincibleqc said:

Ridden: 131 dmg per bite (video shows 87 because I did bite the plate of the Stego).

Dinos and melee attacks dont target particular parts - they hit whole body and thus are not subject to reductions of particular dino's parts. Only projectile attacks that originated from player or turrets get reduced by plates/shells etc.

In your case there is another Stego in close vicinity that gives mate boost that reduces damage to 87 (2/3 of 131). Then you kite it away just enough for it to lose that boost.

• Volunteer Moderator
11 minutes ago, DarthaNyan said:

Dinos and melee attacks dont target particular parts - they hit whole body and thus are not subject to reductions of particular dino's parts. Only projectile attacks that originated from player or turrets get reduced by plates/shells etc.

In your case there is another Stego in close vicinity that gives mate boost that reduces damage to 2/3 of 131.

Good to know, thanks. I'm not used to play with show-damage enabled, and assumed it was because I did bite the neck. Kinda makes no sense, tho. A turtle should take reduced damage if you bite its shell for example but whatever. :P

8 minutes ago, invincibleqc said:

Good to know, thanks. I'm not used to play with show-damage enabled, and assumed it was because I did bite the neck. Kinda makes no sense, tho. A turtle should take reduced damage if you bite its shell for example but whatever. :P

If that was true then you should have been able to "headbite/headshot" with dinos for increased damage and with AoE attacks (that are most dino bites and player's melee attack) it doesnt make sense either because every attack would hit head as well.

There are exceptions that have full body damage reduction: Titano, Dunkleo. Some dinos have conditioned full body reduction: rolled up doed, un-"charged" nameless/reapers, "charged" seekers.

Archived