Do wild dinos need food to survive?

Marksman338

This is probably a kind of dumb/nooby question, but I figured I'd ask for the current situation I have in my server. So, essentially, I just trapped a level 32 Giga because it was close to my base and I plan on taming it (as its the only one I can find). So I have it trapped now but I don't have the Quetzal kibble yet so I want to just leave it trapped for a while, but if it needs food I then should I just kill it and find where the next one will spawn. The only reason I ask this is because I have had several wild dinos trapped before and they just seemed to de-spawn after a while before I got to tame them. So, just a simple question as to whether I should keep a Giga trapped or just kill it.

Edit: Just for additional info, the Giga won't attack wild dinos because its trapped so it wont eat anything.

Hello,

There is much more to this. If you trapped it in the spawn area then it will not de-spawn. If a player is present keeping the area loaded it will not de-spawn (outside spawn area). After putting the dino to sleep there is a timer (hidden) so that it will not de-spawn. This timer will also fix the food for the creature so that when food is depleted the creature will die.

There is differences between PvP and PvE, so game mode is also a factor. I think.

As all this testing was, for me, long ago during now legacy servers. I can not for sure now say how long these times are, to be sure they changed since before retail launch and now.

Best way now to have the area loaded in a server is to use a bed and use "Lay on bed" option.

Hope this confuse you as it is very advanced. Only your own testing can be of use.

Regards,

Ariana

Guest DJRone89
53 minutes ago, Marksman338 said:

Thank you. I know its a really dumb question but I figured I'd get more info than my own experience.

Carnivores may need food to regenerate health at times though. For example, a dino you want to tame is almost dead. Throw a defenceless dino it’s way for your pre tame to snack on to regenerate health, then knock it out.

Wild dinos do seem to have a food stat. After a taming attempt they will usually stop feeding themselves causing the food meter to drain. You can see this when you for example starve a rex and let it wake up while riding a wyvern. While before downing it would be trying to be running away it will make a straight b-line for your wyvern. And if you watch carefully you will see the behavior from other carnivores as well, even before trying to tame them. Raptors, Dilos, Rexes that may initially be running away tend to come back a little later when their food would have gone down a little.

• Volunteer Moderator
10 minutes ago, Trainingmacro said:

Wild dinos do seem to have a food stat. After a taming attempt they will usually stop feeding themselves causing the food meter to drain. You can see this when you for example starve a rex and let it wake up while riding a wyvern. While before downing it would be trying to be running away it will make a straight b-line for your wyvern. And if you watch carefully you will see the behavior from other carnivores as well, even before trying to tame them. Raptors, Dilos, Rexes that may initially be running away tend to come back a little later when their food would have gone down a little.

No, wild creatures are not consuming food. The behavior your pointed out has nothing to do with them being hungry and is just a randomized part of their AI that decide whether or not the creatures attack or are scared.

54 minutes ago, invincibleqc said:

No, wild creatures are not consuming food.

Wild Daeodons use food for their healing ability and their food meter reflects that when you KO them.

Wild Creatures that require feeding during passive taming will (or at least used to) starve to death if you initiate taming and stop feeding them - they will run out of food and die.

8 hours ago, ArianaGaming said:

Hello,

There is much more to this. If you trapped it in the spawn area then it will not de-spawn. If a player is present keeping the area loaded it will not de-spawn (outside spawn area). After putting the dino to sleep there is a timer (hidden) so that it will not de-spawn. This timer will also fix the food for the creature so that when food is depleted the creature will die.

There is differences between PvP and PvE, so game mode is also a factor. I think.

As all this testing was, for me, long ago during now legacy servers. I can not for sure now say how long these times are, to be sure they changed since before retail launch and now.

Best way now to have the area loaded in a server is to use a bed and use "Lay on bed" option.

Hope this confuse you as it is very advanced. Only your own testing can be of use.

Regards,

Ariana

8 hours ago, DJRone89 said:

Carnivores may need food to regenerate health at times though. For example, a dino you want to tame is almost dead. Throw a defenceless dino it’s way for your pre tame to snack on to regenerate health, then knock it out.

8 hours ago, Trainingmacro said:

7 hours ago, invincibleqc said:

No, wild creatures are not consuming food. The behavior your pointed out has nothing to do with them being hungry and is just a randomized part of their AI that decide whether or not the creatures attack or are scared.

7 hours ago, PuffyPony said:

Nope, nor do they take damage from starvation (i.e. if you fully drain a KO'd dino's Food stat, then it wakes up, it'll be perfectly fine)

6 hours ago, DarthaNyan said:

Wild Daeodons use food for their healing ability and their food meter reflects that when you KO them.

Wild Creatures that require feeding during passive taming will (or at least used to) starve to death if you initiate taming and stop feeding them - they will run out of food and die.

Okay, okay, way more replies than I expected for this topic. So essentially what I got from this is, no the Giga I trapped doesn't need food unless injured and it won't despawn as long as it's not to far away from its spawn location.

1 minute ago, DarthaNyan said:

More like getting injured triggers an AI mechanic where they will try to run away and heal by consuming (any) corpse. It has nothing to do with food stat but with health stat.

Other than that - you got it right.

Fair enough, alright then. Welp, I'm just going to leave it until I get the Quetzal kibble then. Thank you for the clarification. I figured I'd get the info from others rather than relying on my personal experience.

5 minutes ago, Marksman338 said:

Fair enough, alright then. Welp, I'm just going to leave it until I get the Quetzal kibble then. Thank you for the clarification. I figured I'd get the info from others rather than relying on my personal experience.

If you trapped it with gates/structures - when you leave render range it might move through them and free itself.

1 minute ago, DarthaNyan said:

If you trapped it with gates/structures - when you leave render range it might move through them and free itself.

That is the other thing I was concerned about. So far its been staying trapped but I do go and check on it every few hours to make sure it is still contained. If it does break free however its not as big of a concern since re-containing it shouldn't be any more difficult than the first time I did it.

3 minutes ago, Marksman338 said:

That is the other thing I was concerned about. So far its been staying trapped but I do go and check on it every few hours to make sure it is still contained. If it does break free however its not as big of a concern since re-containing it shouldn't be any more difficult than the first time I did it.

it might wander away from its spawn area and despawn.

2 minutes ago, DarthaNyan said:

it might wander away from its spawn area and despawn.

If it does oh well, at least it most likely won't spawn next to my base if it does respawn. I'm going to try to avoid going in the area to prevent a rendering glitch at least and just wait until I have the kibble for it.

1 minute ago, kryddsTeR said:

Don't know if this is still a thing but when I played on the island (legacy official) I found wild bloody achatinas. After I knocked they out I saw that there food was on zero. So achatinas was starving in the wild since they only eat cakes.

I wouldn't know either. I don't play on official servers so I have no clue.

Archived