RAGNAROK WAS AN ERROR

arrojado1200

28 minutes ago, Rofelo said:

If they would remove lightning storms or tone them down so they dont disable base defenses SE would see a lot more play.

Ahh, but that is part of the uniqueness of the map and game play there.  You have to rethink how you build and defend your bases there as many of the standard practices don't apply very well.  Survival itself is more difficult there, something that many experienced players point out is sorely needed to make game play more challenging.

3 hours ago, Ranger1 said:

Ahh, but that is part of the uniqueness of the map and game play there.  You have to rethink how you build and defend your bases there as many of the standard practices don't apply very well.  Survival itself is more difficult there, something that many experienced players point out is sorely needed to make game play more challenging.

The lightning storm allows groups like mine  To glide, grapple, parachute, or fly in and spam deploy c4 till the storm ends and then detonate once the storm ends. If turrets could come online for 5 minutes before explosived could be used then this would be so easily exploitable.

43 minutes ago, Rofelo said:

The lightning storm allows groups like mine  To glide, grapple, parachute, or fly in and spam deploy c4 till the storm ends and then detonate once the storm ends. If turrets could come online for 5 minutes before explosived could be used then this would be so easily exploitable.

Correct.  As I said, standard play styles involving large bases depending on heavy turret defense are not as viable there. 

The effect electrical storms has on turret defenses is not accidental. 

8 hours ago, IanHighlander said:

I bought Scorched Earth (twice actually as my wife plays too) and we still have a dedicated server running for it that we play on occasionally but Ragnarok is just awesome in every way, it blows every other ARK map out of the water and then some (IMHO). We currently have different games running on 9 servers on dedicated hardware at home and of those, five of them are Rag maps.

Do I feel hard done by because Scorched stuff is in Ragnarok? Hell no, I think it's amazing that the content is available in more than one map and not only that but one of them didn't even cost me anything. I got exactly what I expected and paid for from Scorched Earth and whilst I don't feel it's the best map out there, I've certainly had my moneys worth out of it and continue to do so. Seriously, some people need to get a grip sometimes and sit back and think about what actually matters in life here, you're talking about pixels on a screen that cost you the price of a few pints of beer that you were happy to pay and you've had hours/weeks/months of time/fun/excitement etc out of, how the hell is that stealing from anyone?

Er, the OP's point is valid. I'm all over these forums and I have yet to see a dev post anything in regards to DLC exclusivity pertaining to just maps, not content- unless I missed fine print. Now that I know DLC is just for the map and not the content, I'm more inclined to not buy a DLC knowing I can obtain the content without having purchased the DLC. Again, OP's generalized observation and complaint is valid. Is this a big of a deal though? To me, no.

7 hours ago, arrojado1200 said:

I think as an old guard player, I really feel offended by the game being so easy. 

Yea it was better before when having a high level Argy was something. I remember to tame a 104 or 116 Argy you had to make sure you had flak armor on. Which was a pain because you had to fly a long ways on your Ptera to get the metal. At least the Pteras were rather simple to chase and tranq though (and now that's even easier). At least that's how I learned it. 

Now its really easy - I don't even attempt taming an Argy it without a taming pen. "Mega" tribe is around 150-200 people = kind of boring really. 

I prefer Scorched Earth because its a totally different thrill. Much more difficult to survive. Much easier to farm once you get set up though.... 

25 minutes ago, Critter said:

Er, the OP's point is valid. I'm all over these forums and I have yet to see a dev post anything in regards to DLC exclusivity pertaining to just maps, not content- unless I missed fine print. Now that I know DLC is just for the map and not the content, I'm more inclined to not buy a DLC knowing I can obtain the content without having purchased the DLC. Again, OP's generalized observation and complaint is valid. Is this a big of a deal though? To me, no.

Erm with respect, where in any of my posts in this thread did I mention anything about the devs saying there was exclusivity on anything? I think you may have quoted the wrong person here. As for any other part of the argument, I simply can not understand how anyone can complain if they were happy with the purchase have had a huge amount of happy use out of it what the hell happens in the future. I knew how much Scorched Earth was, I knew what I was getting for my money and I bought it and was very happy with my purchase and have had more than my moneys worth out of it. The fact those resources are now also available in an even better and much bigger map for free is absolutely awesome as far as I'm concerned and a benefit/bonus that I would not have expected to the point I would like to thank the devs for doing it as it's given an even wider scope to the game and that can only be a good thing.

1 hour ago, Critter said:

I think you meant to quote me? well, i did the searching for you...here's the dev post you seek.

The relevent bits are

Scorched Earth Dino & Item codes
Here are the various Dino & Item codes for the Scorched Earth content. Even if you don't own Scorched Earth, you're welcome to spawn/add these to your server or non-ScorchedEarth game to try them out and add more variety. Have fun!

and

• Modding Scorched Earth
  1. The Scorched Earth content will be made available for Modding (as part of the main ARK Dev Kit) in a couple weeks. Gotta package it all up for a massive devkit update. In the meantime, as far as we know, existing Mods should work fine on Scorched Earth itself.

There were also countless threads around the time scorched was released where folks asked what exactly they were paying for and what was free, and the devs always stated you were paying for the map itself.

I have a few issues with scorched earth (desert biome was originally supposed to be part of the island, scorched was "surprise" released during early access, and it still has a fair amount of bugs) But the devs allowing players who don't own it access to the dinos and gear through trade, or spawning it in, or mods? how is that a bad thing? In addition to the map, you also get double loot from all the drops on scorched and quadruple loot from the ringed drops..

1 hour ago, IanHighlander said:

Erm with respect, where in any of my posts in this thread did I mention anything about the devs saying there was exclusivity on anything? I think you may have quoted the wrong person here. As for any other part of the argument, I simply can not understand how anyone can complain if they were happy with the purchase have had a huge amount of happy use out of it what the hell happens in the future. I knew how much Scorched Earth was, I knew what I was getting for my money and I bought it and was very happy with my purchase and have had more than my moneys worth out of it. The fact those resources are now also available in an even better and much bigger map for free is absolutely awesome as far as I'm concerned and a benefit/bonus that I would not have expected to the point I would like to thank the devs for doing it as it's given an even wider scope to the game and that can only be a good thing.

I wasn't talking to you, sorry for confusion. Meant to quote someone else. 

2 minutes ago, SingleSidedPCB said:

I think you meant to quote me? well, i did the searching for you...here's the dev post you seek.

The relevent bits are

and

There were also countless threads around the time scorched was released where folks asked what exactly they were paying for and what was free, and the devs always stated you were paying for the map itself.

I have a few issues with scorched earth (desert biome was originally supposed to be part of the island, scorched was "surprise" released during early access, and it still has a fair amount of bugs) But the devs allowing players who don't own it access to the dinos and gear through trade, or spawning it in, or mods? how is that a bad thing? In addition to the map, you also get double loot from all the drops on scorched and quadruple loot from the ringed drops..

Thanks. Yea see that's what I missed. 

In theory I'd still purchase the DLCs because in reality, for me, they really don't cost that much for the time the game overall has provided me with entertainment. I'd of still purchased to support WC. Many, however, if they missed this like I did ^ and weren't around on the forums to see it, would otherwise assume it was exclusive. 

12 hours ago, arrojado1200 said:

What you say is a shot at the foot of the toilet. Scorched is interesting because of the content, not the map. If I have this content for free then why should I buy the DLC? And if the toilet does not sell, how will you keep your business?

Dude, your frustrations might be understandable based on your lack of knowledge on the topic, but when compared to the reality of the situation they are wholly irrational. Unless you were given explicit information directly from the devs, the reality of the situation is that you purchased the map, not the creatures or the items. Map only. Basically, you paid Wildcard for the map that they built, and they gave you the assets for free to use as you and others (including mod-makers) see fit. And now you seem to be suggesting that anyone who didn't buy Scorched Earth should not have access to its assets. Sorry, but that expectation is absurd...why?

So with your uninformed expectation, if someone brought a Fire Wyvern from Scorched Earth to The Island map, anyone who hadn't purchased Scorched Earth would only see another player floating around in the air, but they wouldn't know what that player might be on. The people who hadn't purchased Scorched Earth would be getting burned to death by invisible fire from a creature the couldn't see or fight back against because they didn't pay for the assets. When that was realized, people who like to complain for the sake of complaining, as demonstrated in this thread, would have been right back here on the forums outraged and complaining about not being able to see the Scorched Earth assets that were killing them.

Any expectation-based frustrations you've had are on you. The fact is that no one forced you to not read up on what to expect before setting misguided expectations. Quite the contrary. Unfortunately you decided not to research the topic before paying attention to what you were buying. Effectively, that makes it your bad. Even those who didn't ultimately like Scorched Earth that much, myself included, for the most part knew what to expect because they paid attention. From my perspective, it's a shame you didn't because it could have spared you some frustration and the forums this thread.

Dude, your frustrations might be understandable based on your lack of knowledge on the topic, but when compared to the reality of the situation they are wholly irrational. Unless you were given explicit information directly from the devs, the reality of the situation is that you purchased the map, not the creatures or the items. Map only. Basically, you paid Wildcard for the map that they built, and they gave you the assets for free to use as you and others (including mod-makers) see fit. And now you seem to be suggesting that anyone who didn't buy Scorched Earth should not have access to its assets. Sorry, but that expectation is absurd...why?
So with your uninformed expectation, if someone brought a Fire Wyvern from Scorched Earth to The Island map, anyone who hadn't purchased Scorched Earth would only see another player floating around in the air, but they wouldn't know what that player might be on. The people who hadn't purchased Scorched Earth would be getting burned to death by invisible fire from a creature the couldn't see or fight back against because they didn't pay for the assets. When that was realized, people who like to complain for the sake of complaining, as demonstrated in this thread, would have been right back here on the forums outraged and complaining about not being able to see the Scorched Earth assets that were killing them.
Any expectation-based frustrations you've had are on you. The fact is that no one forced you to not read up on what to expect before setting misguided expectations. Quite the contrary. Unfortunately you decided not to research the topic before paying attention to what you were buying. Effectively, that makes it your bad. Even those who didn't ultimately like Scorched Earth that much, myself included, for the most part knew what to expect because they paid attention. From my perspective, it's a shame you didn't because it could have spared you some frustration and the forums this thread.

Have I ever told you how much I love reading your posts. I swear I get smarter every time. Just a little.

On topic, I like that everyone else can get the Dino's from maps they might not have the money for, for whatever reason. Also that, if that's the case, I can have more space on the new maps to my greedy little self, because I have a mental complex where I don't want to play single player.. but I don't want anyone near me either lol.

On 12/01/2018 at 7:06 PM, Critter said:

Finally .... someone understood my point of view. Thank you for expressing your opinion.

On 12/01/2018 at 9:08 PM, SingleSidedPCB said:

The relevent bits are

and

That is the question. We're not talking about Mods or Host Game (single) but official servers. Few players are interested in the maps, what they want is the content of the dlcs. I, for example, bought Aberration because I want to take the Karkinos and Reapers to the Island, and trade for metals with other tribes. With Scorched it was the same thought, to exchange wyverns, golens and mantis for metals. My main base is on the Island, from the beginning it was always the. So if the content is made available for free, why buy new DLCs?

On 12/01/2018 at 11:00 PM, LouSpowells said:

Hey, I'm a friend and not an enemy. I think I have the right to express my opinion. Please do not treat other people's topics in this way, as if it were a useless thing. Nobody is better than nobody, my friend.

1 hour ago, arrojado1200 said:

Hey, I'm a friend and not an enemy. I think I have the right to express my opinion. Please do not treat other people's topics in this way, as if it were a useless thing. Nobody is better than nobody, my friend.

You're neither a friend or an enemy. You have every right to express your opinion, but when you do so in a discussion forum you are not spared the right of others to express theirs as well. That's what blogs are for.

If - after a multitude of people have told you otherwise - you still think you're being stolen from or ripped off, then I recommend you take your case to a lawyer who will charge you $500 to tell you exactly what I just did. What happens then? Are you going to tell them not to treat your topic that way too? I bet so. Good luck with that.

1 hour ago, arrojado1200 said:

That is the question. We're not talking about Mods or Host Game (single) but official servers. Few players are interested in the maps, what they want is the content of the dlcs. I, for example, bought Aberration because I want to take the Karkinos and Reapers to the Island, and trade for metals with other tribes. With Scorched it was the same thought, to exchange wyverns, golens and mantis for metals. My main base is on the Island, from the beginning it was always the. So if the content is made available for free, why buy new DLCs?

Your missing the point, being that your buying the map and nothing more with DLC's. And we are talking about Mods, Ragnarok IS a mod!

Also, if everything was exclusive to the DLC's you wouldn't be able to transfer and trade anything in the first place...

It'll likely be 6 months to a year before any mod maps contain aberration content, and there's no guarantee that any will become officially supported like Rag.

Knowing all that, if your still upset then i just don't know how else to explain it to you.

10 hours ago, SingleSidedPCB said:

Your missing the point, being that your buying the map and nothing more with DLC's. And we are talking about Mods, Ragnarok IS a mod!

Also, if everything was exclusive to the DLC's you wouldn't be able to transfer and trade anything in the first place...

It'll likely be 6 months to a year before any mod maps contain aberration content, and there's no guarantee that any will become officially supported like Rag.

Knowing all that, if your still upset then i just don't know how else to explain it to you.

WHY ARE YOU TREATING HIS TOPIC LIKE THIS!?!

Seriously though...there isn't another way to explain it. People have tried the nice way, gentle way, the blunt way, the aggressive way, and the exasperation way. If OP really wanted to fully understand, they would have understood it by now. Some people just want to be angry about something whether it's rational or not.

Hate to break it to you OP, but you're your own enemy here. as others have said, this was the plan from the beginning. when you buy a DLC, you're buying the experience, with SE it was obviously the challenges of living in the desert instead of an island. and nearly everyone I've seen has said that "Aberration is a whole-new experience". Frankly, i'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish here. what's done is done, do you really think they're remove nearly a third of Ragnarok just because you're salty that you're SE dinos are nolonger exclusive to those who don't want/can't afford the DLC? also, fun fact, the Explorer notes for Aberration state that the underground world was there pre-calamity. meaning that we can assume that most other maps have aberration-style undergrounds

Archived