Higher level wild dinos more consistently ?

Wikus

Hallo everyone ,

Playing singleplayer on pc ( Steam version ) Island map.
My question is , is there a way to get more lvl 100+ Wild dinos to spawn ? I have difficulty set to 1.0 which is the max , but I constantly just get lvl 4 to 12 wild dinos.
Very very rarely I will see a lvl 70 ish and never do I see 100+
I tried disabling the " Use singleplayer settings " option , but that didn't change wild dino levels. ( Yes I did a dino wipe after disabling that setting )

Is there something in settings I can do to increase wild dino levels  ?

20 minutes ago, Cowgirl said:

Have you done a dino wipe after you set the difficulty to high? (if you had it low before that the dinos are still around most likely and dont make room for new spawns that are up to date on the difficulty)

I've always played on 1.0 , but yes I regularly do dino wipe and did twice again last night

1.0x is really "4x" difficulty, so dinos will spawn like 4, 8, 12, etc...  Max will be 120.

Official servers are 5x (so 5, 10, 15 with max 150).  Check out the table on this page to see what you need to set it to to get this: https://ark.gamepedia.com/Difficulty

To set difficulty offset values higher than 1, just type the number into the box rather than using the slider.  You can use this method to go above the max values for other settings too.

1 hour ago, Fistfeet said:

To set difficulty offset values higher than 1, just type the number into the box rather than using the slider.  You can use this method to go above the max values for other settings too.

1. Difficulty Offset cannot go higher than 1, even if you set it higher it'll default to 1.

2. For level 150 dinos devs intended for players to use "max difficulty" checkbox, but it doesnt work atm. To get lvl 150 dinos on TheIsland/SE/Aberration in Singleplayer/Non-dedi you have to manually add "OverrideOfficialDifficulty=5" in ARK\ShooterGame\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\GameUserSettings.ini under [server settings], then use "destroywilddinos" command in game console to repopulate the map. Dinos should start to spawn with levels multiple of 5 instead of 4.

3. TheIsland has been knownbelieved to have spawns weighted more towards lower levels compared to TheCenter or Ragnarok.

4 hours ago, DarthaNyan said:

1. Difficulty Offset cannot go higher than 1, even if you set it higher it'll default to 1.

2. For level 150 dinos devs intended for players to use "max difficulty" checkbox, but it doesnt work atm. To get lvl 150 dinos on TheIsland/SE/Aberration in Singleplayer/Non-dedi you have to manually add "OverrideOfficialDifficulty=5" in ARK\ShooterGame\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\GameUserSettings.ini under [server settings], then use "destroywilddinos" command in game console to repopulate the map. Dinos should start to spawn with levels multiple of 5 instead of 4.

3. TheIsland has been knownbelieved to have spawns weighted more towards lower levels compared to TheCenter or Ragnarok.

Thanx will give that a go

EDIT: @DarthaNyan , can one go higher than 5 on that value ? For example can I make it 10 and get Dino's from 10 to 300 then ?

2 minutes ago, Wikus said:

Feedback: Would just like to say thank you to @DarthaNyan for that .ini fix. I set that value to 5 in the gameusersettings.ini and it works brilliantly. In a couple hours last night and today I already caught 15 dinos lvl 135 to 145.

Do remember that high level dinos wont always spawn - you need to clear lower levels in order for high levels to get a chance of spawning.  Clearing means all dinos around spawn spots and not only species you want (because spawns are shared) and that requires effort (doing it with command every time is a bit too cheaty imo).

On 12/01/2018 at 1:28 PM, Wikus said:

Thanx will give that a go

EDIT: @DarthaNyan , can one go higher than 5 on that value ? For example can I make it 10 and get Dino's from 10 to 300 then ?

Yeah, I've gone as high as 20 so had max level of 600 but you can go higher if you want, can be pretty rough to start with though :D

• 2 months later...

Sorry for bumping this old thread but after searching on google about how to make higher level dinoes spawn more frequently, this thread came up.

So in my Single Player, the dinoes are mostly low levels like below 100. Is there any setting that can make dino spawns more inclined towards higher levels like above 100+ ? So I will see wild dinoes above 100+ more frequently. I think this is also an important setting to have instead of wasting time killing dinoes hoping a high level will replace the lowbie dinoes. I play the game as vanilla as I can so I'm fine with 150, but I want higher level spawns more frequently than the lowbie version.

While it has its own fun in multiplayer scouting the map for high level specific dino for killing time,  that's not the case in SinglePlayer where we want a fast paced playthru. So it would be great if there is an official setting for this. Or if there is a mod for increasing wild dino spawn's level, maybe like shooting it with darts that contain DinoGrowthHormone then it will add 10 wild levels to it. 

• 1 month later...

Don't think it's possible, there's certainly no setting for it, the map you're playing on seems to make a difference though with the Island having a lower percentage of high level dinos and Ragnarok and the Center having a higher percentage, now I might be wrong on that and it's just how it feels to me but I certainly don't have to put the same amount of time in trying to find high level dinos on those maps.

1 hour ago, RageQuitter said:

Don't think it's possible, there's certainly no setting for it, the map you're playing on seems to make a difference though with the Island having a lower percentage of high level dinos and Ragnarok and the Center having a higher percentage, now I might be wrong on that and it's just how it feels to me but I certainly don't have to put the same amount of time in trying to find high level dinos on those maps.

Ragnarok/Center just doesn't allow dinos to spawn at a large number of intervals - Lvls 5, 10, 30, 35, 40, 65, 70, 75, 80, 105, 110, 115, 120, and 125 aren't available, period. This is essentially 1/2 of the available levels removed. This leaves with 6 lvls post-100 available, and only 10 pre-100 available - We can shift it to 5 post 130 available, and only 11 pre-130 available.

Thus, assuming no lvl weighting, you have a 5/16 chance to find a dino above 130 (So 31% chance) compared to the 5/30 chance on WCS-originated servers (16%). Of course, it's not quite 1/3 dinos on Rag/Center are 130+, but more like 1/8 dinos are on average. And, of course, the chance for a 130+ isn't anywhere near 1/8, but easily closer to 1/30, so we can easily assume that levels have certain stat weights that are especially oriented towards lower lvl dinos spawning on ALL maps.

Here's the Reddit post at which I first found out about this besides a "Huh, I have yet to see a lvl 5 dino on Rag for egg-laying purposes"

• 4 months later...
On 1/12/2018 at 5:47 PM, Fistfeet said:

1.0x is really "4x" difficulty, so dinos will spawn like 4, 8, 12, etc...  Max will be 120.

Official servers are 5x (so 5, 10, 15 with max 150).  Check out the table on this page to see what you need to set it to to get this: https://ark.gamepedia.com/Difficulty

i am playing on xbox, and i am playing on 1.0x difficulty and i found a 150 rex but that was the only one 150 i have found. (i tamed that rex) so that might not be true that first line.

20 minutes ago, actualmanx said:

does the override in the ini file set to x5 allow for the 180 tek dinos to spawn or are they too capped at 150 ?

They still go to 180. Wild levels are determined based on a scale of 1-30. Tek dinos on a 5.0 difficulty server have a 1 value of six, whereas normal creatures have a 1 value of five. This means multiplying the 30 value by six gets you 180. So yes.

• 5 months later...
On 3/19/2018 at 5:19 AM, DonaldDuck said:

Sorry for bumping this old thread but after searching on google about how to make higher level dinoes spawn more frequently, this thread came up.

So in my Single Player, the dinoes are mostly low levels like below 100. Is there any setting that can make dino spawns more inclined towards higher levels like above 100+ ? So I will see wild dinoes above 100+ more frequently. I think this is also an important setting to have instead of wasting time killing dinoes hoping a high level will replace the lowbie dinoes. I play the game as vanilla as I can so I'm fine with 150, but I want higher level spawns more frequently than the lowbie version.

While it has its own fun in multiplayer scouting the map for high level specific dino for killing time,  that's not the case in SinglePlayer where we want a fast paced playthru. So it would be great if there is an official setting for this. Or if there is a mod for increasing wild dino spawn's level, maybe like shooting it with darts that contain DinoGrowthHormone then it will add 10 wild levels to it. 

I believe in singleplayer you can use mods. The High Levels mod works excellently - all Island dinos are level 100-150, and so are the ones on other maps that use the Island spawn regions (same region name so the mod works on them).  I think it's completely appropriate that fully adult dinos are high level. 

Edit: and the reason dinos start out low and increase in level is that their level is based on player level. That's why you see level 1-5-20 dinos when you start out, and their level gradually increases. Players are generally moving to different areas as we level up, so to us it just looks like the other areas have higher level dinos. But this is not the case - go back to the newbie beaches for awhile at a high level, and you'll see high level dinos there. 

Wild dino levels actually don't scale with player levels at all, it's RNG. Ragnarok for example appears to spawn them much higher because half of the range was removed entirely, so animals will not spawn at certain levels. The Island has long been known for its lack of high level spawns, requiring players on the map to spend a very long time hunting down good animals for their breeding bloodlines.

Personally my solution is to simply tame my animals on other maps and transfer them all to The Island for breeding, but it's not really ideal for a story progression run or anything.

On 9/22/2018 at 1:09 AM, CoreyGamer04 said:

i am playing on xbox, and i am playing on 1.0x difficulty and i found a 150 rex but that was the only one 150 i have found. (i tamed that rex) so that might not be true that first line.

might be a bit late, but usually the creatures on the island spawn at lvl 4,8,16,... and so on. If the creatures are spawning with level 5,10,15,... you already have the maximum difficulty enabled.

17 hours ago, BlueberryJackal said:

might be a bit late, but usually the creatures on the island spawn at lvl 4,8,16,... and so on. If the creatures are spawning with level 5,10,15,... you already have the maximum difficulty enabled.

On console for SP it depends if you have the setting enabled: "Enable Max Difficulty" ( Or something like that , don't recall the exact naming now but the pop up description will tell you it will yield max level dinos )
Difficulty slider at 1.0 with that setting off will yield a x4 multiplier = Max dino lvl 120
Difficulty slider at 1.0 with that setting on will yield a x5 multiplier = Max dino lvl 150

I could never understand why they had to make it so confusing , why they didn't just make the difficulty slider from 1 to 5 that actually represents the multiplier itself is beyond me.
Now you have a slider at 1 that actually means 4 and if you enable max difficulty setting then it means 5.

Archived