so whats the point of leedsichthys?

tribeofguy

2 purposes.  One, as described, as a means to add risks to using rafts.  Previously you were 100% safe from any wild dino while you were driving your raft.  You still are if you drive the raft hugging the coast or on inland rivers.  Unless you have a dino or other player on your raft that is exposed, no wild dino will agro to your raft.  I've driven an unbuilt raft straight through the swamps of the island and right past alpha rexes, gigas etc.  They do not agro to you as the driver of the raft because the game considers you to be a structure.  Trolls on PvP would constantly build a raft, make it into a bullet factory and park it on the edges of the map to avoid detection.  It was cheap and Leeds fix the issue.  On PvE, abandoned rafts in the ocean take platform dino limit space, server load and are aesthetically ugly.  Leeds fix that too, to some extent.

The second purpose is to provide you with tons of raw fish prime.  Since fishing nerfs and loot table nerfs, there's really only 2 ways to reliably get raw prime fish meat.  The first is to use a sickle to harvest sabertooth salmon and the second is to swim up to a leeds and press the Use button (it's Y on xbox).  You will scrape either 50 raw fish or 50 raw fish prime from a leeds and can do that once every 8 minutes.  The Leeds won't even agro you. 

To a lesser extent fishing will provide you with some raw fish prime, but not nearly as much as it did before they nerfed fishing.

23 minutes ago, WaltRBuck said:

I took leeds out completely on my server.  I find that they serve no purpose in making the map fun.  Everyone else on my server has agreed unanimously.  

Which is one of the great things about private servers.  If you have a community that is unified in not using rafts in ways that disrupt game play, but instead add to it, removing a balancing factor like the Leeds is a perfectly acceptable option.

Unfortunately that is rarely the case on official servers.

2 minutes ago, Ranger1 said:

Which is one of the great things about private servers.  If you have a community that is unified in not using rafts in ways that disrupt game play, but instead add to it, removing a balancing factor like the Leeds is a perfectly acceptable option.

Unfortunately that is rarely the case on official servers.

Agreed completely. 

This is also the reason I'd prefer just to pay for a private server.  I enjoy mmos but for me it means miniscule multiplayer online game.  Lol.  It's fun to play with friends. 

Archived