TheEmhan

Hello fellow survivors, 

I'll start with the TL;DR version: I'm looking for some building tips, mostly in regards to cliff platforms; making them look nice, etc.

I like my base to be both aesthetically pleasing and functional. Building on the ground is easy and open, but I'm finding it a bit more challenging to find inspiration for base building on cliff platforms. More specifically, making them flow. Making it easy to traverse from platform to platform, and making them look good and function together.

Any and all tips, ideas or suggestions would be appreciated! I'll post some pictures of what I have so far later on. I play on my own personal dedicated private server with friends and 3x gathering. So limits on resources or places to build aren't really an issue.

Pictures or base showcase videos are appreciated too!

If you want a good exterior think about your options you could go with stone platforms or metal, or you could try to incorporate tree platforms into your build with walk ways (make sure they have railings! stone goes great with suspended walk ways far as railings) and ladders connecting cliff platforms to tree platforms this can look really good  if done right in the right location. Never underestimate the power of railings, they look amazing on any suspended structure (i.e. cliff/tree platforms, walk ways etc.) I personally love look of stone railings. Material is important try using wood, stone, some metal structures (metal walls, ramps, doors and a few other pieces don't look so good but some others can be amazing! especially on aberration) , tek (if available, looks ok in aberration), and importantly thatch slopped roofs (goes great with wood buildings, if you are not worried about strength).       

16 hours ago, Anubis7 said:

Well you could try to go for an old miner/cavern using wood elevators and dynamic ladders or you cold do something with the new shag rug it can go with almost anything and can be painted to your preference + quiets footsteps.   

Yes! I learned the shag rub engram, but haven't tried it out yet. I definitely will. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Anubis7 said:

No problem. How big are you planning to build your base and also where?

Well, being the only tribe on our private server, we can and will build pretty big. I personally like having a spot for pretty much all my dinos. Bigger dinos like Spinos and crabs will probably just be lined up somewhere outside, but at some point we'll have a stable for horses, somewhere to house purchase Ravagers, etc etc. I like having a place for everything since we have the freedom to build.

As far as where, I couldn't tell you exact coordinates right now, because I'm not at home to check, but we are currently built along Spino river nearby where it forks into two, if that helps. I'm sure we'll start a second base in the bio luminescent biome a little down the road as well.

22 hours ago, Anubis7 said:

If you want a good exterior think about your options you could go with stone platforms or metal, or you could try to incorporate tree platforms into your build with walk ways (make sure they have railings! stone goes great with suspended walk ways far as railings) and ladders connecting cliff platforms to tree platforms this can look really good  if done right in the right location. Never underestimate the power of railings, they look amazing on any suspended structure (i.e. cliff/tree platforms, walk ways etc.) I personally love look of stone railings. Material is important try using wood, stone, some metal structures (metal walls, ramps, doors and a few other pieces don't look so good but some others can be amazing! especially on aberration) , tek (if available, looks ok in aberration), and importantly thatch slopped roofs (goes great with wood buildings, if you are not worried about strength).       

I thought tree platforms didn't work in Aberration?! If they do, then that's something I'd definitely like to have incorporated, but I recall hearing that they don't snap to the big trees on the map.

And yes! Definitely thatch roofs on wood structures, I agree with that. Looks very nice.

Thanks for the tips!

1 hour ago, TheEmhan said:

I thought tree platforms didn't work in Aberration?! If they do, then that's something I'd definitely like to have incorporated, but I recall hearing that they don't snap to the big trees on the map.

And yes! Definitely thatch roofs on wood structures, I agree with that. Looks very nice.

Thanks for the tips!

Np, anyway make sure if you end up building in the bio lum make sure you properly charge light the base the nameless can be devastating I recommend bulldogs (for good capacity, featherlights (for range) or plant species z they are super efficient look decent in some positions and give flash bangs which can be amazing for defending against the nameless in your expeditions in the bio lum.  

I'm building my base in SP on the edge of the underground lake bordering the red and blue zones.  There are a series of columns there and crystals in the middle of the lake and i intend to build on several of them.  So far I have built a main stone building on two connected platforms with vaults and all of my refrigerators.  This building has a number of rooms with glass windows looking out over the lake for a pretty cool view.  Adjacent to it i have a stone cliff platform entirely dedicated to a greenhouse.  It's currently lit with torches lit from angler gel gathered from the large number of anglers in the lake.  I've begun work on a foundry area that will be on several metal cliff platforms that will connect to the main stone "hub" and will contain all of my crafting equipment.  It will be mainly open to the air with railings instead of enclosed walls.  It should look pretty cool when the forge and/or replicator are lighting up the darkness.  Long term goal will be to build a tech generator in a central location that should be able to power everything on a column at once.  I also have a crazy plan of a "track" of sorts going entirely around the upper part of the pillar where i could hatch and raise babies and take them for walks uninterrupted when they want to imprint.

I'd recommend breaking up your structure into several blocks with specific purposes and attaching them while trying to minimize anything contacting the ground.  

4 hours ago, bloddstar said:

I'm building my base in SP on the edge of the underground lake bordering the red and blue zones.  There are a series of columns there and crystals in the middle of the lake and i intend to build on several of them.  So far I have built a main stone building on two connected platforms with vaults and all of my refrigerators.  This building has a number of rooms with glass windows looking out over the lake for a pretty cool view.  Adjacent to it i have a stone cliff platform entirely dedicated to a greenhouse.  It's currently lit with torches lit from angler gel gathered from the large number of anglers in the lake.  I've begun work on a foundry area that will be on several metal cliff platforms that will connect to the main stone "hub" and will contain all of my crafting equipment.  It will be mainly open to the air with railings instead of enclosed walls.  It should look pretty cool when the forge and/or replicator are lighting up the darkness.  Long term goal will be to build a tech generator in a central location that should be able to power everything on a column at once.  I also have a crazy plan of a "track" of sorts going entirely around the upper part of the pillar where i could hatch and raise babies and take them for walks uninterrupted when they want to imprint.

I'd recommend breaking up your structure into several blocks with specific purposes and attaching them while trying to minimize anything contacting the ground.  

Good build location, what are the cords? 

Hey :) Not sure if you can link your own stuff here but for PvE inspiration you can check out some of my builds: 

i show how I built some of these parts in this video: 

This one's an example of how you connect several ones (although it's on the island, but concept's the same). 

If this last one's interesting, I have posted several speedbuild clips of me building it in case you want to see how it's made.

On 1/12/2018 at 5:00 PM, Sitharias said:

Hey :) Not sure if you can link your own stuff here but for PvE inspiration you can check out some of my builds: 

i show how I built some of these parts in this video: 

This one's an example of how you connect several ones (although it's on the island, but concept's the same). 

If this last one's interesting, I have posted several speedbuild clips of me building it in case you want to see how it's made.

Thank you so much for sharing! Funny thing: I actually came across that first video on YouTube the other day and it's actually what inspired me to start work on a cliff platform base. But that second video was definitely helpful.

Thanks a lot, and keep up the awesome work! Your builds look great!

Archived