PVE Pillaring & Space to build

wejnuu

I'm on a PVE server which has around 30 people at a time but most of the flat land is pillared, there's no area to build on they just leave the pillars there and never use.. this is absolutely disgusting having players pillar everywhere and leave others with no space! My question is can this behaviour be reported or is it ok from wildcards side?

I'm mixed about the issue. As a person on SE with a medium sized base I don't want any one to close to me for performance issues and my normal day to day activities. With that being said I logged into a Rag server yesterday to make a base and the pillaring was out of this world. There is really a lot of wasted space that could be used by new players. I'm not sure what they expect new players to do. I did find a small space to build in but that was after I downloaded my wyvern from the ob and got airborne to get a better look. New players don't really have that option.

First come first serve, if your not in the initial wave of survivors on a server then you get the scraps of land not the prime locations.  This issue is a cause and effect thing, people started resorting to this because others will build as close to your base as possible it seems at times.  This can be bad on a logistical level as well as killing framerate in the area.  Every server ive seen where the noobs cry about pillars there are still plenty of places to build but they require you leave the spawn zone and explore a bit, you know do some work and not just build in the first spot you see.  It boggles my mind how many people build in just plain bad places, blocking paths or killing resources/blocking spawns.

1 hour ago, Dreadnaught said:

First come first serve, if your not in the initial wave of survivors on a server then you get the scraps of land not the prime locations.  This issue is a cause and effect thing, people started resorting to this because others will build as close to your base as possible it seems at times.  This can be bad on a logistical level as well as killing framerate in the area.  Every server ive seen where the noobs cry about pillars there are still plenty of places to build but they require you leave the spawn zone and explore a bit, you know do some work and not just build in the first spot you see.  It boggles my mind how many people build in just plain bad places, blocking paths or killing resources/blocking spawns.

True enough, but.. 

We should be leaving space in and around the spawn beaches so noobs can place their campfires during that early game grind. 

Beach building is ridiculous. i was guilty of it early game but once i realized it's importance i moved and destroyed everything. Most people won't do that. The problem is people don't check the resource/dino spawn maps and just build killing spawns. My rag server I am able to preserve the last Rex and Theri spawns. There are so many performance issues that you kind of have to keep people out of your render distance just so you can function else you get an area like most Rag bluescreen ob's. 

It comes down to people not doing research and building on player spawns, resource spawns, and important end game spawns. It's doubly bad on rag because it is such a gorgeous map that people just have to build on that cliff side not realizing they are killing griffin spawns or they need to plop into Viking bay which of course causes crazy lag and blue screens not to mention hurts some Rex spawns or they need to build up from Viking bay at the waterfalls which in turn kills beaver dams. 

There needs to be more protected areas (like not being able to build on drop points) as well as a land claim block plus common sense. Since these things don't exist, you get pillars as the solution. 

Everything that comes with pillaring is fine as long as it's not to harass a person let's say base. 

It sucks but that's ark it's been like this since it come out on early access. Not every server is like that. I've been on two center servers where we played so long together that there were no pillars. 

The only real fix to this is make more servers but wildcard won't do that because they want full servers but there can't be full servers because of lack of build able areas. Or even move servers, which sucks but take a few days and build that's all that can be done. 

10 hours ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

Beach building is ridiculous. i was guilty of it early game but once i realized it's importance i moved and destroyed everything. Most people won't do that. The problem is people don't check the resource/dino spawn maps and just build killing spawns. My rag server I am able to preserve the last Rex and Theri spawns. There are so many performance issues that you kind of have to keep people out of your render distance just so you can function else you get an area like most Rag bluescreen ob's. 

It comes down to people not doing research and building on player spawns, resource spawns, and important end game spawns. It's doubly bad on rag because it is such a gorgeous map that people just have to build on that cliff side not realizing they are killing griffin spawns or they need to plop into Viking bay which of course causes crazy lag and blue screens not to mention hurts some Rex spawns or they need to build up from Viking bay at the waterfalls which in turn kills beaver dams. 

There needs to be more protected areas (like not being able to build on drop points) as well as a land claim block plus common sense. Since these things don't exist, you get pillars as the solution. 

Long time no see mate!! I'm just starting again after a break ! did you move to the new servers too?

14 hours ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

There surely needs to be some talk amongst devs for making certain areas unbuildable for the sake of certain tribes not feeling the need to take responsibility of pilarring critical resource/Dino spawn areas. It's ghastly that this wasn't done from the start. If some of you want to get together on discord and evaluate which areas should be unable to be built on by default let me know- and then we can pass the idea over to the devs. I'm sure this was overlooked merely because tribes assumed responsibility, And because then WC would have to essentially tell people to relocate on a server that's already entirely land grabbed. Should have been done from the start. Poor planning is all. Hopefully they'll remember this for Ark 2

On 1/9/2018 at 5:32 AM, wejnuu said:

Long time no see mate!! I'm just starting again after a break ! did you move to the new servers too?

Yes sir. Moved to Ragnarok as most did but just started a small Island trading outpost over the weekend. 

My rag server is pretty built/pillared up and we bounce back and forth with tame cap but there's a decent amount of land available on my island server if you are in need. Official 318. 

Built heavy around red and redwood and green started to fill in a bit over the weekend but there's still area just behind green. Should check it out if you need a building spot. 

20 hours ago, Critter said:

There surely needs to be some talk amongst devs for making certain areas unbuildable

This was brought to their attention during the EA phase and while they acted on certain suggestions (PvE Ob's being one) they have decided not to worry about certain resource nodes or if say somebody gates a resource area as long as you can fit your character's body in there the GM's consider it good to go. Basically they give us these dino's who do awesome stuff like an Anky and then when somebody blocks off say the crystal cave in the Wyvern cove on Ragnarok so you can't get an Anky in there they say well you can still get in so it's alright. (Actual thing on a PvE server). 

It's kind of a delicate thing. It's nice to be able to build a small spawn point on Obsidian island with a industrial forge and fabricator to be able to make poly and ingots right away then only have to go out once a week or so to collect and bring back to base but if it's between that and having access to all available resource nodes without the need to add structures like pillars with ladders to protect thus adding to the lag since it has to account for each of those when rendering in an area give me the protected resources. I have a motorboat and some good weight Quetzal's. 

On 1/8/2018 at 9:12 PM, Dreadnaught said:

I'll respond to this as this is at the heart of the issue. You're conflating people that want to start in the game and get their own economy going with people who come in and go "GIFF ME STUFF" in all chat. Not everyone starting out is a moron and not everyone is lazy; and it is wrong for you to assume they are unless you have evidence, of which none has been suggested or supplied in the context of this thread.

People aren't asking for the most scenic location, but unless there's a roof, 3 walls and a door frame around the player, the first rain fall will kill a person starting out on ragnarok in its recommended locations. Pillaring off starting locations without providing any form of a starter house to these starting players basically equates to player killing.

Your suggestion that players should just move land inwards is even more retarded than the premise you started out with. Land inwards has Hyenas, Allosaurusses, Rexes, etc. A starting player is barely capable of dealing with raptors and for some reason you're expecting them to just build a base somewhere in the center of the map with stone age weaponry. And on ragnarok they even need to sprint there because of the rain.

I think the issue should be fixed on a more fundamental level: we need more servers. People wouldn't be building so close to eachother if there was space, but beach locations not only serve the new players, they are also mandatory base locations for the end tier players because they need oil and pearls. Simply having more space negates the function of pillaring and having to maintain pillars becomes a chore not worth the effort.

Right now its legal, but to concur with others, its detrimental to the game since it makes new players leave.

You try a couple of official servers, discover you cant build even a thatched hut anywhere, have no recourse for it other than to try another server or go pvp.

You don't see it in pvp really.  You will see some foundationing around a base, but not like pve.

Hello,

Just place a foundation and file a report that your land is pillared by another tribe. They be signed over to your tribe in no time.

Happened to me by a troll that build next to my house, now I can not add structures. However I would never file a report.

Sooner or later they auto decay destroys anyways.

Regards,

Ariana

2 minutes ago, ArianaGaming said:

Happened to me by a troll that build next to my house, now I can not add structures. However I would never file a report.

Sooner or later they auto decay destroys anyways.

This is basically the golden rule of PvE. Whoever resorts to pillaring won't stay for much longer and that means the space will become available to you soon enough. However, for ragnarok starters this just isn't an option since they will die before they can build a raft.

2 hours ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

Yes sir. Moved to Ragnarok as most did but just started a small Island trading outpost over the weekend. 

My rag server is pretty built/pillared up and we bounce back and forth with tame cap but there's a decent amount of land available on my island server if you are in need. Official 318. 

Built heavy around red and redwood and green started to fill in a bit over the weekend but there's still area just behind green. Should check it out if you need a building spot. 

I have managed to find a really nice spot on 394, yeah tame cap is a bitch on rag server... this is why i didnt move there! Im finding it really hard to start from scratch but we're gaining ground quite well.. hopefully we'll trade again in the future when I get back on my feet! :D

3 hours ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

This was brought to their attention during the EA phase and while they acted on certain suggestions (PvE Ob's being one) they have decided not to worry about certain resource nodes or if say somebody gates a resource area as long as you can fit your character's body in there the GM's consider it good to go. Basically they give us these dino's who do awesome stuff like an Anky and then when somebody blocks off say the crystal cave in the Wyvern cove on Ragnarok so you can't get an Anky in there they say well you can still get in so it's alright. (Actual thing on a PvE server). 

It's kind of a delicate thing. It's nice to be able to build a small spawn point on Obsidian island with a industrial forge and fabricator to be able to make poly and ingots right away then only have to go out once a week or so to collect and bring back to base but if it's between that and having access to all available resource nodes without the need to add structures like pillars with ladders to protect thus adding to the lag since it has to account for each of those when rendering in an area give me the protected resources. I have a motorboat and some good weight Quetzal's. 

I agree to an extent, yea. I've done that. Then again I'm thinking about the playerbase at large. The island on my last attempt at PVE was all pillard off so it didn't even matter. Thankfully someone did pillar it off to begin with, but there's undoubtably other servers where it was built on or blocked off. The sacrifice would therefore be, well, perhaps even on single player, that you can't build there, period. So is that something, or rather a sacrifice, the PVE playerbase as a whole is willing to accept versus the potentiality of being able to build a forge and fabby on it. 

The flyer entrance on the center for example. The top part is all crystal and metal. As a dev, I'd make that whole top part unbuildable but I'd leave the bottom part that the ramp leads to alone. It's right next to the area so if one desires to build next to it then their able, for example. I mean we'd use common sense to dictate what areas to block and which to not. I feel PVE would be better off if we used pillars to map out a buildable area versus blocking it for the sole purpose of saving spawns. Even if we pillard off to just keep people from render distance, that's fine, but all these excess pillars to block off spawn nodes and Dino spawns.. I mean.. it really sucks- to which many were already built on before one had the common sense to dictate that it should be pillard off. Like part of the center underground ice castle id surely make unbuildable to preserve penguin spawns, but that little cave to the left id leave open. It's a question the PVE playerbase needs to ask themselves, can we sacrifice some freedom of where were  building for natural preservation of some areas that's we'd otherwise wish were just pillard off. Boss caves for example, although you can report that I'm sure it's more convenient if they were just blocked off. 

*edit. I'm a PVE player. Although I play unnoficial pvp, i play with hardcore pvpers so i do my PVE thing while they do the assery stuff. However I'm hoping if 'Ark 2' is a thing in some years to come, I hope WC plans the  foundational aspects of PVE better, such as blocking critical spawn points/nodes for mats and Dino's, blocking obys and areas around them so their accessible by land, reconfiguring the way kibble works as to relieve the current conditions of servers reaching Dino cap,  Developing the landscape to accommodate many tribes and bases that require large areas of flat land, etc. I'm sure they will, but still. Worth mentioning. 

8 hours ago, Trainingmacro said:

I'll respond to this as this is at the heart of the issue. You're conflating people that want to start in the game and get their own economy going with people who come in and go "GIFF ME STUFF" in all chat. Not everyone starting out is a moron and not everyone is lazy; and it is wrong for you to assume they are unless you have evidence, of which none has been suggested or supplied in the context of this thread.

People aren't asking for the most scenic location, but unless there's a roof, 3 walls and a door frame around the player, the first rain fall will kill a person starting out on ragnarok in its recommended locations. Pillaring off starting locations without providing any form of a starter house to these starting players basically equates to player killing.

Your suggestion that players should just move land inwards is even more retarded than the premise you started out with. Land inwards has Hyenas, Allosaurusses, Rexes, etc. A starting player is barely capable of dealing with raptors and for some reason you're expecting them to just build a base somewhere in the center of the map with stone age weaponry. And on ragnarok they even need to sprint there because of the rain.

I think the issue should be fixed on a more fundamental level: we need more servers. People wouldn't be building so close to eachother if there was space, but beach locations not only serve the new players, they are also mandatory base locations for the end tier players because they need oil and pearls. Simply having more space negates the function of pillaring and having to maintain pillars becomes a chore not worth the effort.

This is a survival game correct? Ragnarok, your favorite example in your rebuttal, is an end game map correct?  Personally in find the survival aspect of this game painfully easy as long as you put some thought into what your doing, i have been playing this game for three years and have according to the game died 31 times.  That is mainly PVE but with a little PVP sprinkled in there.  If your just starting out and you die you didnt have anything you cannot replace in 5-10 minutes.  My first spawn on Rag i made it with a new character from the volcano flow all the way to my friends starter base in viking bay on foot,  to quote the dark souls players "get gud."  

No matter the map no one is beholden to new players for anything, they dont owe them a starter hut or land or free gear.  The sense of entitlement in the player base of this game is staggering at times.  One of my favorite aspects is that you get what you earn or are able to take, nothing is given to you by the game itself. Like i said before no server i have played on has ever been even close to completely blocked by pillars so i will throw it back at you where is your evidence that this is the common situation for new players and not a lack of effort to find a clear building area.

The one thing we can agree on is the need for more servers, the game takes a noticeable dip in performance long before the max player count is reached.  I would say more servers with a lower player cap just for the performance issues alone, I dont know how people have fun in the large tribe wars on PVP when the game bogs down to a crawl or simply crashes when there is lots of things in one area.

2 hours ago, Dreadnaught said:

If your just starting out and you die you didnt have anything you cannot replace in 5-10 minutes.  My first spawn on Rag i made it with a new character from the volcano flow all the way to my friends starter base in viking bay on foot,  to quote the dark souls players "get gud."

No matter the map no one is beholden to new players for anything, they dont owe them a starter hut or land or free gear.  The sense of entitlement in the player base of this game is staggering at times.  One of my favorite aspects is that you get what you earn or are able to take, nothing is given to you by the game itself. Like i said before no server i have played on has ever been even close to completely blocked by pillars so i will throw it back at you where is your evidence that this is the common situation for new players and not a lack of effort to find a clear building area.

Dying is still a bit of a sin. You're not supposed to die, especially not in PvE; playing the game with any other mindset kinda negates the point of the game. The next sentence there is just rich: you run to your friend's starter base and tell me to git gud. And obviously it didn't rain while you were running...

There is no sense of entitlement. Players are stuck on the beach due to lack of gear (and stats) to fight the inland dinos. The game makes it clear that players are not supposed to go inland until they are ready and when the game does that, it needs to facilitate to players where it puts them. Pillaring off the starter areas is a sausagemove for this very reason. I really don't give a flying daeodon's ass that you are able to run to your friend's starter house and live happily ever after. Players start... players don't necessarily want to rely on other players; but if you pillar off their starting area knowing that the initial rainfal can be lethal makes you a sausage. And for people then to open their mouths on this forum (or anywhere else for that matter) to whine about starters having a justified complaint, by the very virtue the game was designed, just shows how anti social they are. The official servers aren't yours, they aren't mine; for you to be claiming anything in a PvE environment just for the sake of denying it to others is nothing less than being at war with players that are not at war with you.

Archived