Devs inactivity

RaiderofthelostARK

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I noticed this too and was just thinking about this. Dev trackers been rather slow recently, and the twitter stuff is non existant now lol. Am eagerly waiting more juicy news of the dino TLC and what not. I am putting it down to the winter holidays in combination of the release of Aberattion like they said themselves rather than being tired of negative comments. God forbid people take a holiday.

10 minutes ago, RaiderofthelostARK said:

I've noticed a few things. The devs have been quiet lately stating it's due to holidays it tis the 7th now. Also Jesse hasn't posted anything in awhile. As well as no digest for weeks. Do you think they are tired of negative comments hince them being not as active as they once we're? 

Its Christmas holiday. Didn't you know it lasts for 6 weeks?

They will be back soon.................................................................................................................................

• Volunteer Moderator

They just took some time out for themselves and their families over the festive period, nothing wrong with that.

They worked day and night and for extremely long hours to get Aberration out, they deserve to have some timeout, even if it means a near blackout in terms of communication.

The digest hasn't been regular for months, there's no difference with it now than last year.

• Volunteer Moderator
19 minutes ago, RaiderofthelostARK said:

Maybe 3 or 4 days during xmas if even that. The other 2 weeks being lazy. More along the lines of celebrating the robbery of their customers.

Well, it varies from company to company, based on many things.

For example, the multi billion dollar company I work for lets us have the entire week of Christmas off, right through NYE/NYD (and if NYD falls on a weekend, we get the following Monday off).  Though, some of use need to put in a little time here and there because of the projects, events, and such we were involved in keeping on track.

However, in all fairness, many at Wildcard work more than an 8 hour, 9 hour, 10 hour, or even 12 hour days.  They work through weekends and many holidays, occasionally getting a break due to a natural disaster (which I understand was a huge inconvenience to some players, having the devs worry about their own welling being instead of coding some bugfix). 

And, I would have little trouble believing their average work hours per week far exceeds the average work hours of those that post in this forum; and that is excluding those that retired or unemployed (for whatever reason).

These are people with families and lives, and all that goes with it, from health to home to finance. 

They are not the our indentured servants, nor are they our work animals.

Well in all fairness they get paid well for the hours they endure behind a keyboard. A week being standard? The multi billion dollar company I work for let's us have 1 day off during xmas. I chase shoplifters around 8 hours a day averaging 10 to 15 miles a day having 2 days off per week for going on 3 years now. And no weekends and no hoilday off except for xmas. And correct sir most of the player base don't work those types of hours...nor do most of the workforce. Customers 1st always when it comes to most companies. 

53 minutes ago, GP said:

They worked day and night and for extremely long hours to get Aberration out, they deserve to have some timeout

My only real complaint is that Wildcard knows they can't release an expansion/code that functions even remotely as intended. It's a major mismanagement to release a major expansion right in the shadow of a holiday when they know they won't be able to provide what support they can in the face of the inevitable gamebreaking bugs that are *always* present in their releases.

I don't think much of this animosity would exist if Wildcard could put out, relatively, bug-free content.

Tbh without taking this to far off topic lol I have a lot of respect for the Scandanavians (Sweden I think) for trialing out a shorter working week. Theres more to life than work and I wish society as a whole realised this. And in till recently (i.e christmas) I didnt actually think WC even knew what the word holiday was so bravo them for going dark for a bit.

Yea I praise the sweds. 4 days on and 3 days off I think. Iame has a valid point though. And actually with all those hours they endure there's still bugs that have been around years that they do not acknowledge. And further more releasing a new expansion so soon puts aberrations current issues on the back burner while the main focus will be the new dlc. And possibly even having some time set aside for the next game wc wants to create. 

24 minutes ago, AngrySaltire said:

Tbh without taking this to far off topic lol I have a lot of respect for the Scandanavians (Sweden I think) for trialing out a shorter working week. Theres more to life than work and I wish society as a whole realised this. And in till recently (i.e christmas) I didnt actually think WC even knew what the word holiday was so bravo them for going dark for a bit.

As someone who works 48-52 hour weeks regularly. It really does. A lot of companies now a days focus on quantity rather then quality of work. As someone in a supervisory role in a fairly large company I find that I get better work out of workers motivated with the chance to, even if it's only marginal, go home early. Perhaps that effect would diminish if it became commonplace, but I'd like to hope not. I do sincerely wish that Wildcard would get some new employees and work on a regular schedule with regular people doing regular updates. I really do wonder how many of the gamebreaking bugs/coding flaws are the result of chronic overwork as opposed to shorthandedness or incompetence. 

15 minutes ago, iAmE said:

As someone who works 48-52 hour weeks regularly. It really does. A lot of companies now a days focus on quantity rather then quality of work. As someone in a supervisory role in a fairly large company I find that I get better work out of workers motivated with the chance to, even if it's only marginal, go home early. Perhaps that effect would diminish if it became commonplace, but I'd like to hope not. I do sincerely wish that Wildcard would get some new employees and work on a regular schedule with regular people doing regular updates. I really do wonder how many of the gamebreaking bugs/coding flaws are the result of chronic overwork as opposed to shorthandedness or incompetence. 

Ouch I tried something similiar back in terms of work hours (cant remeber hours) in 2016 for around 6 months, didnt strike lucky last year hoping for the job I want , better luck this year I hope. Job market sucks. I held down two jobs, one full time as an ecological surveyor which is what I studied for at uni and want a career in but was only a temporary contract (as most of the positions are at that level). Hours were extremely long and antisocial. So for certainties sake I held down my other job in hospitality as was a permanent contract. I have no doubt holding down two jobs and working the hours I did impacted on my ability to do both jobs, but I wanted the certaintity of employment so I did it. By God I dont want to run two jobs simultaneously again, I swear it nearly killed me. I hate the current job market.

I wonder the same. I mean the game is amazing and keeps me coming back for more ! Its just needs that extra polish . Seems more likely lack of staff and stupid hours (seems common place now :( ) like you say.

Posting about the crossplay which I feel is a waste of resources for you guys :/....i wasn't even aware he posted here at all lol his Twitters been dead for awhile now....since your here Chris I do wish the best for WC been addicted for two years now. But why disregard small stuff that's been affecting gameplay for years? Why not fix the small things that piss us all off and make people rage quit? I understand pushing the dlc and focusing on big things for money and rep. But come now. We deserve smoother game play.

Normally I would be all kinds of grateful about that "they worked day and night on aberration" but here's the thing....we (majority of players opinions I read) were completely fine with NO expansion put out as long as bugs and fixes were being dealt with that have plagued this game for years.   The fact that I can't even log on to an official server without at least one disconnect and client crash is pathetic.   Abberation isn't even playable for many people from what I can tell.   Constant bugs and server rollbacks.   If they are going to "work day and night" I think it's best done working on stuff that matters to players most.  Like the base game being functional. 

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, RaiderofthelostARK said:

Posting about the crossplay which I feel is a waste of resources for you guys :/....i wasn't even aware he posted here at all lol his Twitters been dead for awhile now....since your here Chris I do wish the best for WC been addicted for two years now. But why disregard small stuff that's been affecting gameplay for years? Why not fix the small things that piss us all off and make people rage quit? I understand pushing the dlc and focusing on big things for money and rep. But come now. We deserve smoother game play.

Well as we've said many times, just because you don't hear anything it doesn't mean we are all sitting back and playing video games to pass our time. In fact the opposite is the case. We see exactly what is going on and are working hard on improving and fixing things, over the past few weeks we have been bringing on new talent to the studio and expanding in all areas so that we can tackle issues much easier and quicker if/when they arise.

Jat has been out for the past week due to some sickness and family things, but now that he's back and the holiday period is over I'm sure we'll be making some new articles here soon. 

2 minutes ago, Chris said:

Well as we've said many times, just because you don't hear anything it doesn't mean we are all sitting back and playing video games to pass our time. In fact the opposite is the case. We see exactly what is going on and are working hard on improving and fixing things, over the past few weeks we have been bringing on new talent to the studio and expanding in all areas so that we can tackle issues much easier and quicker if/when they arise.

Jat has been out for the past week due to some sickness and family things, but now that he's back and the holiday period is over I'm sure we'll be making some new articles here soon. 

Working hard over the last few weeks, which is why Aberration was effectively broken and borderline unplayable for the last few weeks.

Not to be blunt or anything, but just be honest. It's the holidays. We know what you guys have been doing, and there's no shame in admitting it had nothing to do with Ark. I just question why bother releasing an expansion knowing that that would be the case. 

Archived